PDA

View Full Version : The Pacific

Bullaholic
03-30-2010, 12:21 PM
Been watching all of the episodes so far---IMO, not near as good as "Band of Brothers" so far. Why in the world did they have to include all of the graphic lovemaking scenes in Part III? Sure, that is part of what went on in these soldier's lives, but why take up the time with it when there is lots more meatier historical story content?

DDBooger
03-30-2010, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
Been watching all of the episodes so far---IMO, not near as good as "Band of Brothers" so far. Why in the world did they have to include all of the graphic lovemaking scenes in Part III? Sure, that is part of what went on in these soldier's lives, but why take up the time with it when there is lots more meatier historical story content? Being in port and dealing with PTSD (before it was even a diagnoses) and relationships is very interesting to some. I thought they finally developed the characters in week 3. While not formulaic, I'm glad we had an episode where we learned a little more about them.

blowfish
03-30-2010, 03:24 PM
Does not hold a candle to Band of Brothers. I did not like episode 3 at all. I have been surprised that Chesty Puller has not been explored more in depth.

DDBooger
03-30-2010, 04:23 PM
Originally posted by blowfish
Does not hold a candle to Band of Brothers. I did not like episode 3 at all. I have been surprised that Chesty Puller has not been explored more in depth. Have you read Chesty's book? Lots of guts and glory :)
The man was a legend and beloved by those he led.

Rabid Cougar
03-30-2010, 06:22 PM
Because the miniseries is based upon the books written by or about Sledge (heart murmer), Basilone and Leckie. Episode 3 shows Leckie's relationship with the Australian woman because it impacts the way that he views the rest of the war. In his book "Helmet for My Pillow", he goes into how her rejection and the view that her mother pretty much viewed him as a dead man really screwed him up as you will see in coming episodes. This miniseries is really getting down to show what made these guys tick.

Band of Brothres was written from the view point of an entire company. The Pacfic is from the view point of just three men. Chesty is just a sidelight. You could have made a whole movie just on him.

So far, "The Pacific" is dead on historically and the equipment/uniforms are outstanding. It was pretty much kill everything in sight or be killed. The Marines and Army in the Pacific had been fighting two years before the 506th jumped into Normandy. It was totally different warfare than in the European theater. Ther Germans were pretty much broke in 1944. The Japs had never lost a land battle since they had been fighting since 1936 before Guadalcanal.

It is an awesome miniseries.

Txbroadcaster
03-30-2010, 08:24 PM
Originally posted by Rabid Cougar
Because the miniseries is based upon the books written by or about Sledge (heart murmer), Basilone and Leckie. Episode 3 shows Leckie's relationship with the Australian woman because it impacts the way that he views the rest of the war. In his book "Helmet for My Pillow", he goes into how her rejection and the view that her mother pretty much viewed him as a dead man really screwed him up as you will see in coming episodes. This miniseries is really getting down to show what made these guys tick.

Band of Brothres was written from the view point of an entire company. The Pacfic is from the view point of just three men. Chesty is just a sidelight. You could have made a whole movie just on him.

So far, "The Pacific" is dead on historically and the equipment/uniforms are outstanding. It was pretty much kill everything in sight or be killed. The Marines and Army in the Pacific had been fighting two years before the 506th jumped into Normandy. It was totally different warfare than in the European theater. Ther Germans were pretty much broke in 1944. The Japs had never lost a land battle since they had been fighting since 1936 before Guadalcanal.

It is an awesome miniseries.

Good views except for the Germany was broke in 44...YEs they were..but they also fought the war differently. Japan was just as equipment wise, man wise as broke, their soldier was just more fanatical as far as willing to really fight to the last man to keep the Allied troops on an island fighting longer than they really needed to.

ivchris
04-06-2010, 02:25 PM
In Band of Brothers, it seemed like you got to know the characters and in Pacific, you don't. Also, the real people they speak with before an after the episodes don't seem as passionate as the guys in Band of Brothers. We'll see how it all plays out before it ends.

sahen
04-06-2010, 03:35 PM
it just seems like there is a lot less action in the pacific so far and a lot more drama....band of brothers integrated the action and the drama...the pacific just seems like a lot of drama with a little fighting on the side...maybe it will pick up in the next episode or 2...i still like it just not as much as band of brothers so far...

Bullaholic
04-06-2010, 03:54 PM
Originally posted by sahen
it just seems like there is a lot less action in the pacific so far and a lot more drama....band of brothers integrated the action and the drama...the pacific just seems like a lot of drama with a little fighting on the side...maybe it will pick up in the next episode or 2...i still like it just not as much as band of brothers so far...

I think the producers may be trying to attract more of the female audience, sahen. Ratings are a both sexes thing.