PDA

View Full Version : Marine Fish Tanks

PPSTATEBOUND
03-26-2010, 11:04 AM
Anyone besides me love and have these things.
I have a 240gl tall.... Marine tank. From Glasscages.com Beautiful little sucka!

waterboy
03-26-2010, 12:41 PM
:eek: "240gl" as in 240 gallons? That ain't such a "little sucka"!

I find aquariums relaxing, and would love to have one in our house again, but nobody likes cleaning 'em...:(

PPSTATEBOUND
03-26-2010, 01:19 PM
Originally posted by waterboy
:eek: "240gl" as in 240 gallons? That ain't such a "little sucka"!

I find aquariums relaxing, and would love to have one in our house again, but nobody likes cleaning 'em...:(

LOL yeah it is perty big.

Very relaxing is correct...I'm nearing 40 and have had my own tank since the age of 7 and have always had one in the house from the time I was born. I started with a little 10 gallon and 3 Bleeding Heart Tetras at 7 years old. I stayed up all night in my yellow bean bag perched 2 feet from the tank watching them until I finally passed out that night. I found a 28 gallon in someone's trash while walking home at age 11 and made dad load it up and test for leaks, the next week it was set up. I then bought a 55 gallon at the age of 16 and set it up in my apartment. I made a huge jump to a 180gl at 21 years of age it was 6' long, 2' deep, 2' Tall had huge monsters in it. Oscars of all varieties and Red Belly Pacu's, "both of the species reached over 14" long"... a cousin of the piranha, and yes they had teeth just like the man eater. My wife of 12 years now talked me in to going salt 5 years back and we made the transformation of the 180 happen. Little at a time is all it takes and after 4 years it was stocked. A small leak after 18 years of service and I was able to upgrade to the 240gl which has the same dimensions of the 180 except it is 31 inches tall and not 24 sits perfect on the stand. Definitely a show stopper as you walk thru the house. I must say that of all the tanks I have had the Marine reef I have now is the easiest one to clean and take care of as the creatures in it do a majority of the work. No water changes only top it off once a day with a gallon of chemical free water. It has a huge evaporation factor. Te only thing I do is take the little magnet algae cleaner and run it up and down the font of the tank weekly and the rest of the algae is taken care of by the Sturgeon fish, and hermit crabs, them boys can eat some algae. Other then checking the salt content weekly and feeding them that all the maintenance it gets. It stays crystal clear. I steered clear of the Marine tanks for the longest thinking they would be very hard to keep. I have found out thru the years that they are much easier then a fresh water tank and would recommend tem to anyone who is just a little scared of taking that leap of faith with a marine tank.. I promise you will land on your feet and find it very simple to maintain. i will get some pics together and post them when I find out how to put pictures on here.:eek:

Keith7
03-26-2010, 07:44 PM
you had your own apartment at 16?

Green Bling
04-01-2010, 02:00 PM
I used to have aquariums and agree that they are relaxing to watch most of the time, but it used to really bother me when a fish was aggressive and bullied others in the tank. I may have flushed an opaline gourami for that reason. One of my favorites was an African frog. He was just so funny. My smaller fish kept disappearing until I realized he was eating them. I sold him back to the pet store, but I wish I had kept him and just stopped trying to build a school of cardinal tetras.
Once my 2 year old son and his cousin washed their hands with soap in one of my aquariums. It takes some doing to get soap suds out of gravel, filters, etc. Ah, the good ole days!

PPSTATEBOUND
04-01-2010, 02:16 PM
Originally posted by Keith7
you had your own apartment at 16?

And child... I stepped to the plate and took on th responsibilities of being a husband and father at the tender age, when some kids my age still couldnt wipe their own nose. My daughter is now 23 and a proud graduate of The University of Texas nursing school. I am also a very proud daddy.

At 16 is was a very tuff road to hoe, and would not recommend it to anyone, but will say to those who find theirselves in my old shoes..Keep your head up, give up some smaller dreams, and concentrate on being a loving father to your child, it will all work out in the end.:)

PPSTATEBOUND
04-01-2010, 02:19 PM
Originally posted by Green Bling
I used to have aquariums and agree that they are relaxing to watch most of the time, but it used to really bother me when a fish was aggressive and bullied others in the tank. I may have flushed an opaline gourami for that reason. One of my favorites was an African frog. He was just so funny. My smaller fish kept disappearing until I realized he was eating them. I sold him back to the pet store, but I wish I had kept him and just stopped trying to build a school of cardinal tetras.
Once my 2 year old son and his cousin washed their hands with soap in one of my aquariums. It takes some doing to get soap suds out of gravel, filters, etc. Ah, the good ole days!
Been there done that....Bullies in the tank have no place in my aquariums and will eventually end up dead. That school of Cardinal tetras never happend with me also, they just kept dying and were so dang small in the 180 could easily be overlooked.

The soap suds......dont do it...LOL..yeah..... hard is the correct word...:eek:

BaseballUmp
04-01-2010, 02:53 PM
Originally posted by PPSTATEBOUND
And child... I stepped to the plate and took on th responsibilities of being a husband and father at the tender age, when some kids my age still couldnt wipe their own nose. My daughter is now 23 and a proud graduate of The University of Texas nursing school. I am also a very proud daddy.

At 16 is was a very tuff road to hoe, and would not recommend it to anyone, but will say to those who find theirselves in my old shoes..Keep your head up, give up some smaller dreams, and concentrate on being a loving father to your child, it will all work out in the end.:)

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Green Bling
04-01-2010, 09:00 PM
Originally posted by BaseballUmp
:clap: :clap: :clap: :ditto:
Sometimes life hands us some real character building opportunities. The wise person recognizes and accepts those opportunities.
The thing I like about marine tanks is the brilliant colors of the fish and other creatures.

SintonFan
04-01-2010, 10:14 PM
My dog is relaxing to watch but the cat is a whole 'nother beast.:doh:

Farmersfan
04-05-2010, 07:44 AM
Hey PPSteakhound! Can I come fishing over at your place?

PPSTATEBOUND
04-08-2010, 09:48 AM
Originally posted by Farmersfan
Hey PPSteakhound! Can I come fishing over at your place?

I love the way you smack Boog, Boog around..So anytime big guy!