PDA

View Full Version : Region I Scattershooting

vet93
09-24-2003, 06:41 PM
There are some great games this week and some real mullets.

Lets start with the game of the week...Everman/Kennedale. I have stated in earlier posts that I feel like Everman has the edge in this game for a number of reasons (tougher schedule, home field, revenge). I picked them to win by 7 to 14 points. Not that I think that Kennedale doesn't have a great team. They can put the points up on anybody...one way or the other...it should be a fun game to watch.

Another good game is the Wylie and Sweetwater game. Both of these teams are coming into the game with a couple of losses to good opponents. Both teams are quality and should make the playoffs easily. The one common opponent for these two teams is Graham. Because of the one to one comparison I am picking the Mustangs to win this game. I think that the Bulldogs are a little banged up and they are still trying to break in a very green, but talented quarterback. This should be a good close game if both teams play to their potential.

Springtown/Decatur is another good matchup...for some reason everyone is picking Springtown...but I look for the Eagles to bounce back and redeem themselves. They still have some of the best talent in the region and it will shine on Friday.

Crane/Pecos is another interesting matchup...this will be a very good measuring stick for Pecos. If they can pull off the upset against Crane it will give them the inside tract to carry this success into district. I picked Pecos to make the playoffs at the beginning of the season and I still think that they can make it if they continue to improve. I pick crane in a close one.

Denver City/Kermit should be a real good game. Both of these teams have shown some promise and it will give us an early indication of how good these teams will be in district. Collier sharp picks DC in this game but I have a hunch that Kermit will pull it out.

Clyde needs a confidence building victory over eastland this week. Look for them to win but if they don't...it could be a long year.

Ballinger/Wall...Ballinger looks to bounce back from a dissappointing loss to Breckenridge. This is the second year in a row that the Bucks upset Ballinger. Ballinger had 5 turnovers and many mental lapses in last weeks game. If they repeat last weeks performance...look for a close game and possibly a loss. Ballinger has the talent this year to be a very strong team in region I. However...they cannot afford to take a game off or have the mental lapses that have reared their heads the last two weeks. I think that they will pull it together and win this one big.

Llano/Brady is a matchup of two up and coming teams. Both teams have shown some potential but are insconsistent. If the Bulldogs can capitalize off of the momentum of last weeks game against Comfort....Look for Brady to win this game. Don't count out the Yellowjackets though.

<small>[ September 24, 2003, 06:46 PM: Message edited by: vet93 ]</small>

1 ranger fan
09-24-2003, 07:41 PM
What? No Greenwood Andrews pick. Come on talk about big games this week. This will prove to be the best game of the week. The rest of the picks look pretty good except for Pecos/Crane. Crane by as many as they want.

Wtx_coach
09-24-2003, 08:03 PM
1 ranger fan:
What? No Greenwood Andrews pick. Come on talk about big games this week. This will prove to be the best game of the week. The rest of the picks look pretty good except for Pecos/Crane. Crane by as many as they want.hey the man forgot one game, lets dont give him a hard time about it, and for that Crane game your wrong son, keep on taking Pecos lightly, I hope your team does!!

1 ranger fan
09-24-2003, 08:09 PM
didn't mean to get personal, I just think Pecos still has a ways to go. Sorry

Wtx_coach
09-24-2003, 08:21 PM
1 ranger fan:
didn't mean to get personal, I just think Pecos still has a ways to go. SorryHey ranger fan I understand, I just hope we prove some people wrong this coming friday, wish you guys good luck this friday!!

vet93
09-24-2003, 10:21 PM
Sorry 1 Ranger Fan...I fully intended to include the Andrews/Greenwood game but I was looking at the 3A Collier/Sharp to help me rembember who was playing who when I was musing about the games and it must have had the game listed under 4a or maybe my old eyes just missed it. Anyway her is my $.02.

With the injuries that the Rangers have sustained along with the resurgence of Andrews I look for the Rangers to drop their first regular season game in two years. I think that if these two teams had met in week 10 or 11 when Greenwood was less banged up that it would be a tossup. Greenwood can still win this game if Andrews catches the turnover bug, but they haven't had too many turnovers so far. Matt Gardner, the Andrews quarterback has been a stud so far this year. He can both run and throw and they have some speedy recievers and a quick running back. Greenwood has also been a little susceptible to the pass at times. Andrews' defense is only giving up about 180 yards per game which is pretty good. I am rooting for the Rangers to beat those 4a boys...but if I was pressed to make a pick I would have to say Andrews by 14-21 points. I hope I am wrong and will be cheering the Rangers on all the way.

KvilleWildcats60
09-24-2003, 11:14 PM
Region 3 is the region to watch....

Kirbyville IS UPON YOU. :mad:

xlr8tor
09-25-2003, 01:47 AM
1 ranger fan:
didn't mean to get personal, I just think Pecos still has a ways to go. SorryHave to agree with you ranger fan. Pecos may have turned things around. Hope they have. But in my opinion they have yet to prove themselves. A win against a good 2A Crane team would be a good start. But I'm still going with Crane. Just my take.

bulldog65
09-25-2003, 06:17 AM
Good analysis vet93, keep it coming

<small>[ September 25, 2003, 06:18 AM: Message edited by: bulldog65 ]</small>

Chief Woodman
09-25-2003, 09:31 AM
Most everyone is picking Springtown for 2 reasons.

First, Springtown is big and fast. Look for them to be in the playoffs in 4A football. Plus they want revenge on last years loss to Decatur. Thier best stength is the Defense, which means strength will be against strength.

Second, Decatur got beat last week and most view that as they are not as good as some thought. After seeing the game film, it was more a case of lack of concentration and discipline than lack of talent or coaching. They did have a let down in two of three phases of the game, but a simple reason was found. All 7 Mineral Wells TD's were scored on 3 players who would not be disciplined no matter what the coaches said. This is a problem that is easily corrected.

The good thing about that is 2 of the 3 are young and up to this point had depended upon speed to make up for being undisciplined and overagressive. That will kill you against the Veer, and it did. They now see that at the varsity level you have to be disciplined because there are plenty of fast players on the field. Look for discipline to rule this week as lesson is learned. THUS.....

If the lessons have been learned like I think they have, and Decatur brings it's "A" game, look for a hard fought Decatur victory.

1 ranger fan
09-25-2003, 09:35 AM
Thanks vet93. Pretty good observation. I hope your wrong too but doesn't look good for the rangers.

vet93
09-25-2003, 09:46 PM
Just found out some dissappointing news. 4-5 starters for Ballinger were suspended for one week for disciplinary reasons including starting lineman, linebacker, tailback among others. Life is nothing but a series of choices...choose right and you will put yourself in a position to succeed, choose wrong and you endanger the success of yourself and teamates. It is all fun and games now...but someday the choices that we make won't just affect a football team they will affect wives and children and employees and people you many care for deeply. Food for thougt...

<small>[ September 25, 2003, 09:47 PM: Message edited by: vet93 ]</small>

Chief Woodman
09-25-2003, 10:17 PM
So very true Vet93....I applaud the coaching staff for making the hard decision. Hopefully, it will have a positive effect on those young mens lives.

Knightmoon
09-26-2003, 06:12 AM
That's bad news Vet93.I know the folks in Ballinger are very disappointed. Some lessons in life are learned the hard way. I trust the coach felt like he had no other options. Who knows, its probably the best thing for the team at this point.Hopefully, the kids learn from this experience. I have two teenage sons in my family, and its not easy for kids these days. Its really not. I sound like I an a 100 years old when I say stuff like that, but my eyes have been opened to what they are being exposed to these days. It ain't pretty and it hurts me sometimes.I am not going to go to far down that road this morning. Good luck to Ballinger, they are a class act football team.

Knightmoon
09-26-2003, 06:20 AM
Ballinger is like Merkel--They just don't have any players to spare. You take 1 key player out of the line-up and it can change the whole game, but when you take 4-5 players out, you have to start all over with your game plan. Sometimes its tough on us fans, but in the long run, its probably the best thing for these kids. When those players return, they will know at least one person on this planet is going to discipline them when they go to far. Hopefully, the team will be stronger as a result. Thinking about it, I respect the coach even more now.

vet93
09-26-2003, 08:33 AM
Thanks for the encouragement Knightmoon...Coach Owens is a class act and I am 100% behind his decision. I would hate to be in his position. Hopefully the team can learn and rebound from this setback.

ClydeFan
09-26-2003, 05:14 PM
Vet, I'm sorry to hear about the suspended players, and I hope they learn a valuable lesson from it. I also admire the courage of the coach in the decision he made. I hope the team can step up to the challenge tonight and keep their minds focused on the game.

Great assessment of the Region 1 matchups, as always!