PDA

View Full Version : Travel Channel BBQ Wars

44INAROW
03-23-2010, 03:10 PM
Travel Channel will be doing BBQ Wars from Lockhart tonight..

Click Here (http://www.travelchannel.com/TV_Shows/Food_Wars)

Pick6
03-23-2010, 03:15 PM
Lockhart has some of the best BBQ.

I'll take Kreuz over Smitty's, but I'd probably take Black's over Kreuz.

MUSTANG69
03-23-2010, 03:24 PM
Originally posted by Pick6
Lockhart has some of the best BBQ.

I'll take Kreuz over Smitty's, but I'd probably take Black's over Kreuz.

Gotta agree with you. Black's is the best in Lockhart.

injuredinmelee
03-23-2010, 04:04 PM
My family lived in Lockhart when I was in 1st and 2nd grade. have been back a few times to see the old farmhouse we lived in and to have the awesome BBQ that my parents still rave over and say is the best in the state (Kreuz).

sinton66
03-23-2010, 06:36 PM
They need to check out Miller's, BBQ Man, and Joe Cotten's at Corpus/Robstown.

AAA87
03-23-2010, 07:47 PM
have had those you mention in corpus area and they do not even come close to what lockhart and luling have to offer.

44INAROW
03-23-2010, 07:53 PM
I like Kruez but I wish they had sauce - I don't cover the BBQ with sauce but I do like a little bit - City Market in Luling is great - love the ribs.. and the mustard base sauce is excellent;)

sinton66
03-23-2010, 08:06 PM
Originally posted by AAA87
have had those you mention in corpus area and they do not even come close to what lockhart and luling have to offer.

I've eaten at Black's in Lockhart and Miller's in Corpus is much better. That's Miller's BBQ, not Bill Miller's.

Be_Advised
03-23-2010, 08:09 PM
Joe Cotten's is good considering they only have three items on the menu. Well technically they don't even have a menu.

Old Tiger
03-23-2010, 08:12 PM
Blacks is amazing but expensive.

sinton66
03-23-2010, 08:21 PM
Originally posted by Old Tiger
Blacks is amazing but expensive.

It's not bad for oak smoked, but mesquite is way better IMO.

Old Tiger
03-23-2010, 09:48 PM
Originally posted by sinton66
It's not bad for oak smoked, but mesquite is way better IMO. According to one of the pit masters on the TLC show mesquite is what amatuers use to cook BBQ. I heard fruit wood is the way to go for the best flavor.

SintonPirateFan
03-23-2010, 10:51 PM
According to one of the pit masters on the TLC show mesquite is what amatuers use to cook BBQ. I heard fruit wood is the way to go for the best flavor.

i love that show. Johnny Trigg does Texas proud. he's one cool old dude.

SintonFan
03-23-2010, 11:13 PM
According to one of the pit masters on the TLC show mesquite is what amatuers use to cook BBQ. I heard fruit wood is the way to go for the best flavor.

And TLC is full of fruits...
go figure.:rolleyes: :D

Blue42
03-24-2010, 12:52 AM
Hinze Bar-B-Q
Is about as good as it gets and I have had all of the above.

big daddy russ
03-24-2010, 02:19 AM
City Market may be the best BBQ I've had period. My wife and I just passed through there (twice) tonight on the way to and from San Marcos. Tried to catch City Market, missed it by 15 minutes.

But it's not like you can go wrong with any of the BBQ in that little area.

And my mom loves Hinze's, but I've never cared for it as much. The brisket's great, but the ribs aren't as tender as others. Their pies are amazing, though.

Here in the Houston area, best BBQ I've had is Dozier's (out in Fulshear). Carl's is also really good, but it can't touch Dozier's.

sinton66
03-24-2010, 06:19 AM

It's their opinion, and you know what they say about opinions. I'll take mesquite over any other wood.

MUSTANG69
03-24-2010, 07:45 AM
Originally posted by AAA87

Wrong. Joe Cotten's in Robstown is second to none. Lockhart comes close but no cigar.:D

ronwx5x
03-24-2010, 08:08 AM
Cooper's in Llano is very good. May be the best I've had, although I've not eaten in many places. I have eaten at Hinze's in Lockhart and must say it's not my favorite. Carl's in Cypress is very good, just not consistent. Some of the best baby back ribs I've had were at Rudy's.

Pick6
03-24-2010, 08:36 AM
Originally posted by ronwx5x
Cooper's in Llano is very good.

Cooper's is very good. Probably the best for me is the Salt Lick in Driftwood.

SintonPirateFan
03-24-2010, 09:13 AM
when i was growing up there was a place in yoakum called H&H...they had pretty good brisket. and awesome kolaches.

cotten's in robstown has gone down a little in quality, IMO. still great though. their sauce is awesome and beans are great, too.

Miller's BBQ is good too.

there's a dive here in wichita falls called The Branding Iron. when i first got here about 4 years ago they had great bbq...it's gone downhill a little lately though.

GreenMonster
03-24-2010, 10:15 AM
Originally posted by SintonPirateFan
there's a dive here in wichita falls called The Branding Iron. when i first got here about 4 years ago they had great bbq...it's gone downhill a little lately though.

In case any of you are wondering about his mention of it being a "dive" think back to when Joe Allen's in Abilene was JOE ALLEN'S before the new building. You know, the crappy run down, looks like it might even fall down building. That's the Branding Iron. I think they keep it dark so you don't see how bad it really is. Good eatin' though. I agree, it ain't what it used to be. I'm a Rudy's fan as well, hard to say where my favorite BBQ place is though. They are all sooo good and everyone does things just a little different and they all hang their hat on different items. Some are sausage, some the brisket, and others the ham. Me, I like it all and I seriously need to take a BBQ road trip to Lockhart, Luling, and some of the other places mentioned above. Don't anyone even try to talk me into any of that Carolina BBQ either pork BBQ slathered in vinegar based sauce is not BBQ in my opinion.

Matthew328
03-24-2010, 10:18 AM
Smitty's is my fav in Lockhart.....they have a Cooper's in Fort Worth now...

ronwx5x
03-24-2010, 10:23 AM
Originally posted by Matthew328

Also one in Mason and another in New Braunfels. Unbelieveable pork chop!!!

Pick6
03-24-2010, 10:35 AM
Originally posted by Matthew328

I saw that Saturday, perfect location for it also.

big daddy russ
03-24-2010, 12:58 PM
Originally posted by Pick6
Cooper's is very good. Probably the best for me is the Salt Lick in Driftwood.
Forgot all about the Salt Lick. Still don't like it as much as City Market, but that has nothing to do with the meat itself... just the sauce and rub. The meats, tenderness, and consistency of both are neck-and-neck and it's definitely one of the places I'll go out of may way to visit when I'm in the area. Just like Cooper's.

And I haven't had Cotten's in probably seven or eight years. They seem to fluctuate with their BBQ through the years. They'll have some peak years when they're the best in the state, but they'll have some down years when they're "simply" better-than-average.

I will say this, though, when I'm visiting my parents down in Ingleside I make it a point to visit the original Mac's in Gregory. Their PoBoy is the best BBQ sandwich I've ever had, bar none.

MUSTANG69
03-24-2010, 01:23 PM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
Forgot all about the Salt Lick. Still don't like it as much as City Market, but that has nothing to do with the meat itself... just the sauce and rub. The meats, tenderness, and consistency of both are neck-and-neck and it's definitely one of the places I'll go out of may way to visit when I'm in the area. Just like Cooper's.

And I haven't had Cotten's in probably seven or eight years. They seem to fluctuate with their BBQ through the years. They'll have some peak years when they're the best in the state, but they'll have some down years when they're "simply" better-than-average.

I will say this, though, when I'm visiting my parents down in Ingleside I make it a point to visit the original Mac's in Gregory. Their PoBoy is the best BBQ sandwich I've ever had, bar none.

The Mac's in Gregory is great but the Mac's in Aransas Pass is horrible.

Daddy D 11
03-24-2010, 01:28 PM
Salt Like in Driftwood is the best I have had. I'm not a big fan of any of the Lockhart places. And I am 100% burnt out on Coopers, plus it has dropped off in the past 5 years...nothing like it used to be.

Joe Cottons in Robstown is the real deal though, only eaten there twice but I loved it both times.

STANG RED
03-24-2010, 01:31 PM
Back when I was going to and from Austin regularly, I'd stop at either Brady or Llano for good BBQ. Both had some good places, but I think the best was the "Hard 8" at Brady. Really Brady had several very good BBQ jounts. But its been a couple years now, so I'm not sure how they are now.
I do also like Salt Lick at Driftwood.
Every Coopers I've ever eaten at was nothing to brag about. And I've eaten at many of them down through the years. Some were downright nasty.

Blackcat1954
03-24-2010, 01:38 PM
Vincek's in East Bernard
A&A In Bay City
Hungerford Super Market
A new place in Kendleton but forgot the name
Holmes in Pleak near Needville on 36
but my favorie is Luling City Market and Blacks

maroonpirate04
03-24-2010, 01:38 PM
No matter where you live Texans are known to make the best BBQ in the US:D I love watching the show when they feature a town in Texas. My brother in law sometimes competes across the state. He loves making BBQ, when we have family gatherings we all look forward to his BBQ:)

AP Panther Fan
03-24-2010, 01:39 PM
i love that show. Johnny Trigg does Texas proud. he's one cool old dude.

I can't stand that guy...far too arrogant for my liking. :dispntd:

I do like the show though.

SintonPirateFan
03-24-2010, 10:31 PM
Originally posted by AP Panther Fan

no way...the arrogant one is that south carolina punk that they have to use the bleep button for every other word out of his mouth. trigg took in that kid from dallas and showed him how to get something other than last place!

BaseballUmp
03-24-2010, 10:38 PM
Ok, so lets say I want to go get some really good bbq tomorrow for lunch and I live in San Marcos, where should I go?

sotex
03-24-2010, 11:00 PM
Originally posted by BaseballUmp
Ok, so lets say I want to go get some really good bbq tomorrow for lunch and I live in San Marcos, where should I go?
If you don't want to leave San Marcos there is a little place behind the Whataburger across from the outlet mall. I cant remember the name, Texas something other I think, They have some purty darn good bbq and their beans are awesome.

STANG RED
03-24-2010, 11:09 PM

If you have enough time, go to Salt Lick at Driftwood.
I cant think of any good BBQ joints actually in San Marcos. Good mexican food place though.
Just remembered, there is a good BBQ joint in Kyle. Its right off the main street into Kyle from IH35. It's in an old mill building of some kind, right next to the railroad tracks. You can be there in 15 minutes from San Marcos.

BaseballUmp
03-24-2010, 11:13 PM
How far is it from San Marcos to Lockhart?

trojan37
03-24-2010, 11:16 PM

You're crazy. He comes to the cookoff in West all the time. Nice man. Just don't jack with him.

big daddy russ
03-24-2010, 11:20 PM
How far is it from San Marcos to Lockhart?
Maybe 20 minutes. Not far at all.

cotulla
03-25-2010, 12:19 PM
hands down... THE SALT LICK!

pull up on a Saturday afternoon in the spring and there will be 400 cars in the parking lot! any BBQ place that has to have a sherrif's deputy with traffic has to be good!

family style... all the brisket, sausage, and ribs you can eat for $18.95.

AP Panther Fan
03-25-2010, 12:32 PM
no way...the arrogant one is that south carolina punk that they have to use the bleep button for every other word out of his mouth. trigg took in that kid from dallas and showed him how to get something other than last place!

You're right, I like Trigg, I had him confused with Myron Mixon - he's the jerk - he's from Georgia. I'll have to figure out which one is from So. Carolina.

457drag
03-25-2010, 01:18 PM
Originally posted by Blue42
Hinze Bar-B-Q
Is about as good as it gets and I have had all of the above.

I agree...I didn't like Blacks

Hinzes is good stuff!!!

Red&White_9x5
03-25-2010, 02:42 PM
Copers and the Salt Lick both get my vote. They are GOOD

cameron91
03-25-2010, 02:45 PM
IMO the best I've tasted is in Lexington. Snow , but she's only open on Saturdays. If you want great brisket she's a good place to go.

for as Brady .. yes..they do have some great bbq. but their is a old black man , that sells-que from his backyard on the weekends in Brady. Called Jones Backyard B-QUE.He has some of the best Axis deer steaks ,brisket, ribs,sausage ( he get from thorndale ) and goat you will ever want to eat.

maroogreen
03-25-2010, 02:49 PM
We traveled to Lockhart before school started this year, bought from all three places and did a taste test. The winners were:

Sausage (or links) - Smitty's, hands down

Brisket - Black's

Kreuz's (SP?) wasn't the winner in any competition, although my husband really likes their barbecued pork chops (not offered by all three places). I also overheard the owner there saying some really ugly things about some of his customers, which didn't impress me much, but I digress.

Black's also has some decent sauce. All in all, it was a nice way to spend a Saturday. I'm also a fan of Salt Lick.

BaseballUmp
03-25-2010, 02:50 PM
Originally posted by cameron91
IMO the best I've tasted is in Lexington. Snow , but she's only open on Saturdays. If you want great brisket she's a good place to go.

for as Brady .. yes..they do have some great bbq. but their is a old black man , that sells-que from his backyard on the weekends in Brady. Called Jones Backyard B-QUE.He has some of the best Axis deer steaks ,brisket, ribs,sausage ( he get from thorndale ) and goat you will ever want to eat.

Yea my gf is from lexington and shes been dying to go back for some bbq

SintonPirateFan
03-25-2010, 03:26 PM
You're right, I like Trigg, I had him confused with Myron Mixon - he's the jerk - he's from Georgia. I'll have to figure out which one is from So. Carolina.

myron mixon was the one i was talking about. he has that goofy accent i get s. carolina and georgia confused.

Gsquared
03-25-2010, 03:53 PM
I like Smittys and Kruetz better than Blacks.

ronwx5x
03-25-2010, 05:52 PM
Originally posted by Gsquared
I like Smittys and Kruetz better than Blacks.

Are you being rascist?:inlove:

Blue42
03-25-2010, 10:11 PM
Originally posted by 457drag
I agree...I didn't like Blacks

Hinzes is good stuff!!!
Yes not just the BBQ but any thing you get all the sides are great and the best Banana bread I ever had. a lot of the other BBQ places in this thread have some good lip smacking meat heck we have 3 good BBQ joints in Cuero but Hinzes is the full meal deal IMO.