PDA

View Full Version : A-10 Warthog

SintonPirateFan
03-23-2010, 12:06 PM
pretty cool article and pictures of a jet i had the pleasure of working on in Korea. these aircraft are amazing. the 30mm "cannon" talked about in the article is more like a gatlin gun....it fires up to 72 rounds per second with ammunition containing depleted uranium which can pierce a tank from 18000 feet away. the pilots are pretty much fearless because they are sitting basically in a titanium tub which surrounds them.

sorry for rambling, just thought it was a cool article.

Warthog (http://www.michaelyon-online.com/warthog.htm)

MUSTANG69
03-23-2010, 12:19 PM
This is one of the ugliest aircraft ever built but it may be the most amazing.

PPSTATEBOUND
03-23-2010, 12:26 PM
The look of FREEDOM! I love it!

Bullaholic
03-23-2010, 12:53 PM
The Warthog is an aircraft built around a gun---they can also be shot full of holes and keep on flying---many redundancies built in. I wouldn't want to be riding in a tank and get caught by a Warthog....many choices for the Warthog driver as to how he wants to take you out...and they retired this aircraft? Go figure....

SintonPirateFan
03-23-2010, 12:57 PM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
The Warthog is an aircraft built around a gun---they can also be shot full of holes and keep on flying---many redundancies built in. I wouldn't want to be riding in a tank and get caught by a Warthog....many choices for the Warthog driver as to how he wants to take you out...and they retired this aircraft? Go figure....

they havent retired it. they nearly did......then the first Gulf War happened and the brass realized how valuable they are.

it definitely is a Gun with wings. the nose landing gear is offset because of it!

Bullaholic
03-23-2010, 01:05 PM
If you want to see what a Warthog can do, get on Youtube and find some video of the Basra Highway in the 91' war. The retreating Iraqi Army was just decimated---and while loss of life is hard to justify---the Iraqi soldiers in this footage were the ones who raped and pillaged everything in Kuwait and were deserving of what they got, IMO.

charlesrixey
03-24-2010, 11:13 AM
The gun sounds like a very loud burp when it goes off.

I remember the first time i heard it i had no clue what it was. Quite impressive from the ground