PDA

View Full Version : Replacing Penders at Houston

SHSBulldog00
03-22-2010, 03:32 PM
With Tom Penders resigning at Houston who will be the Coog's next head basketball coach?

Two names that have been mentioned are Billy Gillespie and current Sam Houston State coach Bob Marlin.

As a Sam Houston State Alum I do not want to lose Coach Marlin. We have a strong base built at Sam and KEEPING Coach Marlin should be priority #1.

Keith7
03-22-2010, 03:33 PM
Marlin would be the better choice of the two..

maestro
03-22-2010, 10:02 PM
i too hope that the bearkats can hang on to their coach.

heard penders talking about academic records of his players...i.e. no one flunked out or was put on probation during his six years there. also heard him speak of the " inquisition " style conditions of the basketball facilities. u of h should be embarassed.

Old Dog
03-22-2010, 10:34 PM
Don't get Gillespie, he'll run at the smell of money. I know Kentucky is a dream job, but I bet he'd wish he had never heard of KU now. The Aggies would look damn good to him right now!

Yoe_09
03-22-2010, 10:41 PM
Originally posted by Old Dog
Don't get Gillespie, he'll run at the smell of money. I know Kentucky is a dream job, but I bet he'd wish he had never heard of KU now. The Aggies would look damn good to him right now!

yeah the idiot should have just signed an extension with A&M, but in the end im glad he left because i like Turgeon a lot

eagles_victory
03-23-2010, 01:58 AM
Originally posted by Yoe_09
yeah the idiot should have just signed an extension with A&M, but in the end im glad he left because i like Turgeon a lot How can you call a guy an idiot for leaving A&M for Kentucky?

maestro
03-23-2010, 05:39 AM
Originally posted by Yoe_09
yeah the idiot should have just signed an extension with A&M, but in the end im glad he left because i like Turgeon a lot

agree....wonder if it'd be possible for u of h to " let" the aggies search committee work for them. the aggies certainly came out way ahead on the post-gillespie deal.

tons of talk about why u of h cannot recruit city of houston. any ideas? mine is that conference usa is a second tier league, it is mostly a one team bid league...and memphis is there....so not much chance of getting a chance to " dance". any other opinions?

themsu97
03-23-2010, 07:33 AM
[tons of talk about why u of h cannot recruit city of houston. any ideas? mine is that conference usa is a second tier league, it is mostly a one team bid league...and memphis is there....so not much chance of getting a chance to " dance". any other opinions? [/B][/QUOTE]

word on the street is that alot of kids from the city of Houston obviously play AAU, but that there coaches want somewhere from $5000- $15000 just to talk to their kids... not sure if this is true or not but have that from a pretty good source

NastySlot
03-23-2010, 08:39 AM
Originally posted by eagles_victory
How can you call a guy an idiot for leaving A&M for Kentucky?

hindsight ?

big daddy russ
03-23-2010, 09:10 AM
Originally posted by maestro
agree....wonder if it'd be possible for u of h to " let" the aggies search committee work for them. the aggies certainly came out way ahead on the post-gillespie deal.

tons of talk about why u of h cannot recruit city of houston. any ideas? mine is that conference usa is a second tier league, it is mostly a one team bid league...and memphis is there....so not much chance of getting a chance to " dance". any other opinions?
Facilities are also major. When you tour UofH three weeks after seeing Texas A&M's facilities and crowds, two weeks after seeing Texas,' and one week after seeing Okie State's, Houston looks less and less appealing. A mid-tier three-star prospect generally has other options than Houston and Houston is left to try to sell location and possible playing time.

At least that's my opinion.

BTW, Marlin would be the smart choice. But I hope they pass him over. Generally speaking, though, coaches in all sports who move up quickly and then get knocked back down harshly (like Gillispie) tend to struggle to reclaim the magic they once had. This doesn't apply to guys like Tubby Smith and Tim Floyd, who never struggled winning games, just the ones who landed a high-profile job and tanked. Remember the Ty Willingham/Notre Dame experiment?