PDA

View Full Version : Bows & Bowhunting

Old Green
03-18-2010, 01:02 PM
Bought my first Bow and accessories 2 weeks ago. Bought a Fred Bear Charge with a 70 pound draw . I've been practing everyday and now I can shoot 3" groups out to 40 yards. The bow and arrow setup did by the guy at Cabelas did a great job on it. Can't wait to try it on a Turkey.

Reds fan
03-18-2010, 03:25 PM
Originally posted by Old Green
Bought my first Bow and accessories 2 weeks ago. Bought a Fred Bear Charge with a 70 pound draw . I've been practing everyday and now I can shoot 3" groups out to 40 yards. The bow and arrow setup did by the guy at Cabelas did a great job on it. Can't wait to try it on a Turkey.

What a challenge! Good luck!

ASUFrisbeeStud
03-18-2010, 09:48 PM
I got into it last year and am addicted.

www.archerytalk.com

best website out there for bowhunting, it's got a great forum with just about every answer you could have a questions for

Old Green
03-19-2010, 07:55 AM
Originally posted by ASUFrisbeeStud
I got into it last year and am addicted.

www.archerytalk.com

best website out there for bowhunting, it's got a great forum with just about every answer you could have a questions for I checked that website out. Lot's of good info.

I think I'm getting addicted too!:D

ASUFrisbeeStud
03-19-2010, 08:32 AM
I'm starting a DIY target this weekend with some plans off of there.

Old Green
03-19-2010, 09:35 AM
Good deal ! I may do one later. Good ideas on that board

ASUFrisbeeStud
03-19-2010, 10:30 PM
Good deal ! I may do one later. Good ideas on that board

I can't wait to get out and turkey hunt this year.

Old Green
03-20-2010, 02:55 PM
I can't wait to get out and turkey hunt this year. Turkey Season started today. Too bad we had a huge front move thru this morning. I might try tomorrow.

lostaussie
03-22-2010, 12:11 PM
Trying to sell my Mathews Drenalin. It's loaded and ready to hunt. Everything going except arrows and case. 27" draw if you know anyone interested.

P.S. It knows how to kill!!

ASUFrisbeeStud
03-22-2010, 12:19 PM
Originally posted by lostaussie
Trying to sell my Mathews Drenalin. It's loaded and ready to hunt. Everything going except arrows and case. 27" draw if you know anyone interested.

P.S. It knows how to kill!!

I might be interested, whats the draw weight and is the length adjustable?

ASUFrisbeeStud
03-22-2010, 12:21 PM
I've got a 29" draw and like to shoot around 62lbs.

lostaussie
03-22-2010, 01:37 PM
I might be interested, whats the draw weight and is the length adjustable? Draw weight set at 64 lbs. can be turned up to 70. draw length cannot be changed. it is a 27 inch draw. nothing wrong with it and it has the finest accessories. I just want to upgrade to a Z7

44INAROW
03-23-2010, 07:56 PM
Val - a girl that Johnny graduated with and was pretty good friends with - has done the bow and aarow thing for 10 plus years - she won some kind of teen division thing when she was 19 and went to Mexico for a competition.. She said she loves to compete and has a blast doing it

Farmersfan
03-24-2010, 08:46 AM
I buddy of mine at work just told me that he killed a wild pig last weekend and found 2 broken off arrowheads in the hog. He said neither one of them had penetrated past the layers of fat. What do you think? Inexperienced bow hunters or just tough pigs?

Old Green
03-24-2010, 01:23 PM
Originally posted by 44INAROW
Val - a girl that Johnny graduated with and was pretty good friends with - has done the bow and aarow thing for 10 plus years - she won some kind of teen division thing when she was 19 and went to Mexico for a competition.. She said she loves to compete and has a blast doing it Is she the one from Goliad that was in the paper a few weeks ago?

Old Green
03-24-2010, 01:27 PM
Originally posted by Farmersfan
I buddy of mine at work just told me that he killed a wild pig last weekend and found 2 broken off arrowheads in the hog. He said neither one of them had penetrated past the layers of fat. What do you think? Inexperienced bow hunters or just tough pigs? I'd say a combination of all. Some of the guys say shot placement is critical on large boars along with using heavier arrows and at least a 60 lb. draw weight.

ASUFrisbeeStud
03-24-2010, 10:50 PM
I'd say a combination of all. Some of the guys say shot placement is critical on large boars along with using heavier arrows and at least a 60 lb. draw weight.

I'd agree, I've heard about guys that can shoot, put great shots on big boars, have a pass through and go track the boar an hour later and still get charged. They are some tough SOBs. I'm from the school that thinks you should hunt with heavy draw weights but alot of guys are going out there shooting 50-55 lbs and I don't think it's enough to go through a shoulder blade if you don't get a great shot.

Daddy D 11
03-25-2010, 02:14 AM
I'd agree, I've heard about guys that can shoot, put great shots on big boars, have a pass through and go track the boar an hour later and still get charged. They are some tough SOBs. I'm from the school that thinks you should hunt with heavy draw weights but alot of guys are going out there shooting 50-55 lbs and I don't think it's enough to go through a shoulder blade if you don't get a great shot.

started bowhunting my freshman year, could barely pull back 50 pounds on my PSE and I would go right through hogs, no big deal. If you hit the shield, you hit the shield.. no matter what you are shooting, pulling back, etc. is going to matter. But if you're good at heart shooting 'em then you can do it every time. Best I ever did in a night by myself was 11 with my bow on a full moon, that was my sophomore year of high school. It's been about 3 years since I have even shot a piggy.

Farmersfan
03-25-2010, 12:28 PM
Originally posted by Daddy D 11
started bowhunting my freshman year, could barely pull back 50 pounds on my PSE and I would go right through hogs, no big deal. If you hit the shield, you hit the shield.. no matter what you are shooting, pulling back, etc. is going to matter. But if you're good at heart shooting 'em then you can do it every time. Best I ever did in a night by myself was 11 with my bow on a full moon, that was my sophomore year of high school. It's been about 3 years since I have even shot a piggy.

All you guys who hunt hogs can tell me if it is also very common for wild hogs to be covered in ticks? A regular on this forum told me last week his brother killed a hog that was completely covered with ticks. Does it spoil the meat?

Daddy D 11
03-25-2010, 02:55 PM
Originally posted by Farmersfan
All you guys who hunt hogs can tell me if it is also very common for wild hogs to be covered in ticks? A regular on this forum told me last week his brother killed a hog that was completely covered with ticks. Does it spoil the meat?

I would not know, I never eat em. If the sucker was covered in ticks I probably wouldn't eat it though. I'd just go buy a ham at HEB lol

ASUFrisbeeStud
03-25-2010, 02:57 PM
I don't eat pork so I usually donate any hogs I shoot for the hungry. However animals covered in ticks usually aren't all that healthy but the meat should be fine.

Ranger Mom
03-26-2010, 08:40 PM
I spent $50 on 5 bows for my granddaughter at Dillards a couple of days ago!!!

I have come to the conclusion I need to start making them on my own again!!:D :p

ASUFrisbeeStud
03-27-2010, 05:45 PM
Another really good forum besides archerytalk is www.txbowhunter.com

Old Green
03-28-2010, 08:15 PM
Another really good forum besides archerytalk is www.txbowhunter.com I checked that site out too. Not as good as archery talk though.

ASUFrisbeeStud
03-28-2010, 09:38 PM
I checked that site out too. Not as good as archery talk though.

haha it's kinda like the 3adownlow of the archery world, there is alot of useless talk on there but it's all good stuff.

Green Bling
03-29-2010, 10:03 AM
Mr. Bling's older son is an avid bow hunter. When he first got started he had a lot of bad luck. The first thing he shot was the leg of his feeder. He'll never live that one down. He goes whole hog with it. He washes his clothes in a special detergent, seals them in special bags, uses that nasty dirty smelling scent, bathes in special soap, sneaks out of the house while the kids are distracted so they won't hug him and get their scent on his clothes, and the list goes on. He had to shoot a huge alligator that was charging him, so it's a good thing he got to be a good shot with his bow. There is, or was, a shop in Victoria that has a bow shooting range and supplies. Coaching his son's little league team is cutting into his turkey hunt this year. Don't know if he'll make it down before it's over or not.

lostaussie
03-29-2010, 12:02 PM
Originally posted by Green Bling
He goes whole hog with it. He washes his clothes in a special detergent, seals them in special bags, uses that nasty dirty smelling scent, bathes in special soap, Whats wrong with this:D I have some scent blocker suits that my wife would absolutely kill me if she knew what they cost:D

Old Green
03-29-2010, 06:34 PM
Whats wrong with this:D I have some scent blocker suits that my wife would absolutely kill me if she knew what they cost:D If I get good enough and try to hunt deer. I'll have to invest in some of those scent blocker clothing. Good thing Turkey can't smell real good.

Old Green
03-29-2010, 06:38 PM
Originally posted by Green Bling
Mr. Bling's older son is an avid bow hunter. When he first got started he had a lot of bad luck. The first thing he shot was the leg of his feeder. He'll never live that one down. He goes whole hog with it. He washes his clothes in a special detergent, seals them in special bags, uses that nasty dirty smelling scent, bathes in special soap, sneaks out of the house while the kids are distracted so they won't hug him and get their scent on his clothes, and the list goes on. He had to shoot a huge alligator that was charging him, so it's a good thing he got to be a good shot with his bow. There is, or was, a shop in Victoria that has a bow shooting range and supplies. Coaching his son's little league team is cutting into his turkey hunt this year. Don't know if he'll make it down before it's over or not. I went over to that archery shop the other day looking for 100 grain Montec CS blades, they didn't carry them. They only carry Hoyt Bows and accessories for them, but they did have a real nice indoor range.

Daddy D 11
03-29-2010, 08:02 PM
I rarely even hunt in camo lol blue jeans is the norm with either a carhart or camo jacket.... the same clothes I worked in all day too!

Don't really buy into all that. Just be smarter than the deer and don't allow the wind to screw you. If you've got the wind you don't need that... or at least I think so. I've faired pretty well with that in mind?

ASUFrisbeeStud
03-29-2010, 08:47 PM
Originally posted by Daddy D 11
I rarely even hunt in camo lol blue jeans is the norm with either a carhart or camo jacket.... the same clothes I worked in all day too!

Don't really buy into all that. Just be smarter than the deer and don't allow the wind to screw you. If you've got the wind you don't need that... or at least I think so. I've faired pretty well with that in mind?

I agree to a point if you are trying to just put some does in the dirt, but if you are in a treestand and are looking for a big buck, it takes concealment. Those big deer got big by avoiding hunters.

AP Panther Fan
04-05-2010, 06:04 PM
My son likes to bowhunt and is taking up a new aspect...bow fishing. He tried to go this past weekend, but we had windy nights and murky waters.

Old Green
04-07-2010, 05:04 PM
Any of you use lighted arrow nocks like Lumenox or firefly on your arrows ? Do they work as advertised ?

ASUFrisbeeStud
04-08-2010, 09:03 AM
Any of you use lighted arrow nocks like Lumenox or firefly on your arrows ? Do they work as advertised ?

I've used the lumenox and yes they do work but I don't like spending the money on them. I've been thinking about doing this...

http://discussions.texasbowhunter.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1062

Old Green
04-08-2010, 10:05 AM
That's a good idea. I'll have to try that.

Cameron Crazy
04-08-2010, 06:50 PM
Bought my first Bow and accessories 2 weeks ago. Bought a Fred Bear Charge with a 70 pound draw . I've been practing everyday and now I can shoot 3" groups out to 40 yards. The bow and arrow setup did by the guy at Cabelas did a great job on it. Can't wait to try it on a Turkey. Old Green, I'm glad to hear you are going to experience the greatest outdoor feeling in the world. I have been bow hunting for a good 6 years. I also have been competing in target shooting with them as well. It's a great hobby and you will quickly get addicted to it. Also, just wait till you get to shoot a big buck or a turkey or a pig, basically anything with it. You will not want to pick up the gun anymore!

If you really want to talk bowhunting with some people who really enjoy it, visit TexasBowHunters.

Old Green
04-08-2010, 08:28 PM
Originally posted by Cameron Crazy
Old Green, I'm glad to hear you are going to experience the greatest outdoor feeling in the world. I have been bow hunting for a good 6 years. I also have been competing in target shooting with them as well. It's a great hobby and you will quickly get addicted to it. Also, just wait till you get to shoot a big buck or a turkey or a pig, basically anything with it. You will not want to pick up the gun anymore!

If you really want to talk bowhunting with some people who really enjoy it, visit TexasBowHunters. Thanks Cameron Crazy. I'm already enjoying archery. I've been out Turkey hunting, but haven't been able to get them into range that I"m comfortable with.

I've been reading that site a lot. Some good info on there also.

ASUFrisbeeStud
04-16-2010, 10:49 AM
TTT

needs to continue

Old Green
04-16-2010, 04:49 PM
Anyone get a Turkey yet?

lostaussie
04-22-2010, 12:21 PM
Anyone get a Turkey yet? i have killed one with my bow.

DDBooger
04-22-2010, 12:35 PM
Thought you hunters would like to see an amateur at work
http://www.break.com/index/sniper-rifle-recoil-breaks-eye-socket.html

Old Green
04-28-2010, 02:29 PM
Originally posted by DDBooger
Thought you hunters would like to see an amateur at work
http://www.break.com/index/sniper-rifle-recoil-breaks-eye-socket.html A friend of mine had that happen. He was shooting a .375 H & H Magnum.

Old Green
04-28-2010, 02:30 PM
i have killed one with my bow. Good deal ! How long was the beard ?