PDA

View Full Version : A&M Ex NFL PLayer Goes Back For Degree

ASUFrisbeeStud
03-16-2010, 09:35 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/boston/nfl/news/story?id=4999283

Pretty good story I think.

BEAST
03-16-2010, 09:58 AM
Thats good stuff. I know alot of folks will say why not take the 250k and finish school at a later time. We have to understand, 250k to him probably isnt alot of money. I think its great for it to be more important to show his kids the right thing than to worship the almighty dollar.

BEAST

ASUFrisbeeStud
03-16-2010, 10:02 AM
Originally posted by BEAST
Thats good stuff. I know alot of folks will say why not take the 250k and finish school at a later time. We have to understand, 250k to him probably isnt alot of money. I think its great for it to be more important to show his kids the right thing than to worship the almighty dollar.

BEAST

I agree, I don't think he is making a statement about the money I think it's more about worth ethic and showing his kids that education is important no matter how much money you have.

Phil C
03-16-2010, 10:07 AM
:clap:

That is great. I know at UT that Vince Young has gone back to work on getting his degree and Earl Campbell did the same thing. These are all great examples.

ASUFrisbeeStud
03-16-2010, 10:17 AM
Originally posted by Phil C

That is great. I know at UT that Vince Young has gone back to work on getting his degree and Earl Campbell did the same thing. These are all great examples.

Well VY probably does need something to fall back on, if that doesn't work out maybe he can get a show with Merill Hodge.

Old Dog
03-16-2010, 11:30 AM
Some may not need the degree to fall back on, but finishing is something all jocks should strieve for...... No matter what your life's situation is, you will have accomplished a special thing.

Many employers will look over a resume until they read that you failed to complete any major project and then drop your application into "File 13". Their attitude turns to "if he/she cannot complete a degree program, why should I entrust them with working for me".

eagles_victory
03-16-2010, 01:03 PM
Originally posted by ASUFrisbeeStud
Well VY probably does need something to fall back on, if that doesn't work out maybe he can get a show with Merill Hodge. He looked pretty good playing QB this year to me.

Rabid Cougar
03-16-2010, 06:35 PM
Too bad that there are not more stories about the athletes that complete their degree in the prescribed 4/5 years. Wouldn't they be better examples?

Emerson1
03-16-2010, 06:45 PM
Originally posted by Rabid Cougar
Too bad that there are not more stories about the athletes that complete their degree in the prescribed 4/5 years. Wouldn't they be better examples?
The ones who know they won't make it in the NFL probably do.

ASUFrisbeeStud
03-16-2010, 07:11 PM
Originally posted by Rabid Cougar

I think you are missing the point, he has money, he has connections, he doesn't have to finish his degree, very seldom to NFL athletes go back and finish, let alone skip a 250k bonus to do so.

Took me 6 years to graduate from college and I didn't play football or get drafted by the NFL.

Keith7
03-17-2010, 12:50 AM
Originally posted by Phil C

Based on young's wonderlic score he will probably need to finish up at ACC

Phil C
03-17-2010, 08:28 AM
Getting a degree is important to an athlete. Many of them have financial problems after they retire and the big money isn't coming in. A degree is something they can fall back on but it does seem if the $250,000 was put in a savings that you could afford to get your degree after you retire but even that isn't a sure thing with the way the economy has been.

Red Bull
03-17-2010, 10:15 AM
He has his money, he has his rings. He has no other reason to go back to school other than pride and wanting to set a good example for his kids. Not many (even those with millions) pass up $250 K to go to school and finish their degrees. Kuddos to Ty!

zebrablue2
03-17-2010, 08:36 PM
Originally posted by ASUFrisbeeStud
http://sports.espn.go.com/boston/nfl/news/story?id=4999283

Pretty good story I think.

Very good story, and thanks!!!