PDA

View Full Version : Brownwood Softball Coach Reassigned

Looking4number8
03-16-2010, 08:06 AM
I am not sure of all of the details but in 1 1/2 seasons he was at Brownwood, he had the program down to only 10 girls....No JV just 10 girls in the entire program (4 freshman I think) with several more of them thinking about quiting.

Last year my daughter would have quit between the last district game and the playoffs but I did not let her. I hate that the girls have to deal with this but at least that era (or error) is over and we can start the rebuildng process

BEAST
03-16-2010, 08:43 AM
:clap:

I dont know as much about this as you do but I think it was definately about time. Who is going to take over the rest of the season?

BEAST

Phil C
03-16-2010, 08:45 AM
What was the problem?

BEAST
03-16-2010, 08:50 AM
I dont know everything about it but I can tell you this, just a few short years ago, Softball was huge for the girls side of athletics here is Brownwood. Always had really strong teams and normally deep playoff runs. Now down to 10 kids total. He was handed a cadillac and left us with a yugo.

BEAST

Reds fan
03-16-2010, 09:30 AM
Originally posted by BEAST
I dont know everything about it but I can tell you this, just a few short years ago, Softball was huge for the girls side of athletics here is Brownwood. Always had really strong teams and normally deep playoff runs. Now down to 10 kids total. He was handed a cadillac and left us with a yugo.

BEAST

:(

Trashman
03-16-2010, 09:35 AM
Softball assistant Amanda Formaggio, is taking over for the rest of the season.

baller375
03-16-2010, 09:36 AM
Will they open it up after the season is over or will she remain head coach?

LionKing
03-16-2010, 09:50 AM
Originally posted by baller375
Will they open it up after the season is over or will she remain head coach? Probably won't know till after the season is over.

Looking4number8
03-16-2010, 10:30 AM
Originally posted by Phil C
What was the problem?
my daughter graduated last year so I can only speak for what was then and assume it is the same now.

The coach was a walking rule book (he actually carried one nearly all the time). He knew more about softball rules than I ever will but totally mishandled the kids. He had both pitchers pitted against each other and downed players to their teammates in their absence.

I did not agree with his lineups or in game decisions but I have always said players play, coaches coach and parents parent so I really can't argue with all of that. The problem I had ( and write Shipley and copied him in an email toward the end of the season )was the treatment of several kids.

I wish him the best in his future I I am very happy his future is not in the Brownwood softball program

waterboy
03-16-2010, 10:53 AM
Sounds like this coach was not a people person. Only having 10 players go out for softball at a school the size of Brownwood is almost unheard of, and is not conducive to a winning program. Hope it all works out.

Old Dog
03-16-2010, 11:25 AM
Sounds as if the Administration needs to pay a little closer attention to the ladies side............

BwdLion_80
03-16-2010, 11:30 AM
Originally posted by Looking4number8

The coach was a walking rule book (he actually carried one nearly all the time). He knew more about softball rules than I ever will but totally mishandled the kids.

I don't know much about him either, and I am not making excuses for him, but he is/was an umpire from the Temple area. That is probably where the rules knowledge comes from. Not saying by any means that he was a good coach, as apparently he wasn't. The summer league in Brownwood has been real strong for a long time and getting a good number of players out to play has never been an issue for the High School team. 10 players total, in a 3A school, that is just ridiculous! Hopefully the new coach will get the girls back out and have some kind of success the rest of the season.

95mustang
03-16-2010, 11:56 AM
Originally posted by BwdLion_80
The summer league in Brownwood has been real strong for a long time and getting a good number of players out to play has never been an issue for the High School team.

I would say the summer league is again strong. There are over 80 kids in the 7-8 yr old division this year.

Looking4number8
03-16-2010, 12:57 PM
Originally posted by 95mustang
I would say the summer league is again strong. There are over 80 kids in the 7-8 yr old division this year.

Is your daughter playing? Let me know when it all starts and I bring the grandbaby out to watch some... Gotta get her started early! Good luck in the draft tonight, hope it does not get rained out

95mustang
03-16-2010, 01:10 PM
Is your daughter playing? Let me know when it all starts and I bring the grandbaby out to watch some... Gotta get her started early! Good luck in the draft tonight, hope it does not get rained out

Yes she is playing. So far the draft is still on. I have had updates through out the day from the powers that be.

ccmom
03-16-2010, 01:37 PM
Is your daughter playing? Let me know when it all starts and I bring the grandbaby out to watch some... Gotta get her started early! Good luck in the draft tonight, hope it does not get rained out Are you going to bring her to the game Friday night?

Looking4number8
03-16-2010, 02:19 PM
Originally posted by ccmom
Are you going to bring her to the game Friday night?

Most likely, depends on the weather. I took her to the home games last week... she seemed to like it, she definetly loved the attention

ccmom
03-16-2010, 03:07 PM
Most likely, depends on the weather. I took her to the home games last week... she seemed to like it, she definetly loved the attention

I'll look for y'all. I'd like to meet your little blessing. :)

injuredinmelee
03-16-2010, 04:09 PM
Originally posted by Old Dog
Sounds as if the Administration needs to pay a little closer attention to the ladies side............ Why its only because Title IV tells them they have too. Football is paying all the bills. Sorry Old Dog not picking on you I just like to get it stirred up sometimes.

westcoast54
03-16-2010, 06:42 PM
Originally posted by injuredinmelee
Why its only because Title IV tells them they have too. Football is paying all the bills. Sorry Old Dog not picking on you I just like to get it stirred up sometimes.

Wow...I think you'll get it stirred. An AD worth his salt, will want ALL sports to do well. Remember, the AD is the one who has to be in all the meetings with the disgruntled parents. The better all sports are...the easier his job is going to be. I think Shipley is pretty good. Takes some guts to reassign a coach right before their district season starts.

BwdLion73
03-16-2010, 07:11 PM
Originally posted by westcoast54
Wow...I think you'll get it stirred. An AD worth his salt, will want ALL sports to do well. Remember, the AD is the one who has to be in all the meetings with the disgruntled parents. The better all sports are...the easier his job is going to be. I think Shipley is pretty good. Takes some guts to reassign a coach right before their district season starts.

:iagree:

BwdLion_80
03-16-2010, 07:42 PM
Yes she is playing. So far the draft is still on. I have had updates through out the day from the powers that be.

7-8 year olds?? Only 3 or so more years before I get to start calling her "OUT!" I can hardly wait!!!! :D :D :D :devil:

Looking4number8
03-16-2010, 08:22 PM
7-8 year olds?? Only 3 or so more years before I get to start calling her "OUT!" I can hardly wait!!!! :D :D :D :devil:

And you always seem to make that out call a little more special for the kids of people you call friends...:)

BwdLion_80
03-16-2010, 09:35 PM
And you always seem to make that out call a little more special for the kids of people you call friends...:)

And you would expect anything else??? I LOVE MY JOB!!!:p :D

95mustang
03-17-2010, 08:30 AM

Well then only 3 or so more years until I will get kicked out of the park by the ump. :D :devil:

BwdLion_80
03-18-2010, 05:36 AM
I have been known for doing that too! Just ask the Argyle Liberty Christian HC.:doh:

baller375
03-19-2010, 09:16 AM
How have the girls done since the reassignment?

Looking4number8
03-19-2010, 09:23 AM
They played one game against Marble Falls on Tuesday. They were ahead 9-0 gong into the 7th inning. They allowed 5 runs (3 earned) in the top of the 7th to will 9-5.

This coaching change was a very good move. You could see a diffference in the girls especially when comming on and off the field. Also the crowd at the game was larger for some reason (maybe because it was spring break for some) Every thing looked better and I am excited about the new coach. She was agressive on the bases.. called pitches for the pitcher/catcher (which was not being done before) lots of little differences.

We will see how things go tonight against what is always a very strong Wylie team.

ccmom
03-19-2010, 11:09 AM
They played one game against Marble Falls on Tuesday. They were ahead 9-0 gong into the 7th inning. They allowed 5 runs (3 earned) in the top of the 7th to will 9-5.

This coaching change was a very good move. You could see a diffference in the girls especially when comming on and off the field. Also the crowd at the game was larger for some reason (maybe because it was spring break for some) Every thing looked better and I am excited about the new coach. She was agressive on the bases.. called pitches for the pitcher/catcher (which was not being done before) lots of little differences.

We will see how things go tonight against what is always a very strong Wylie team.

It's good to hear that things are looking up. I'm looking forward to the game tonight.:thumbsup:

Looking4number8
03-19-2010, 07:55 PM
Quick update. Lady Lions beat a salty Wylie team tonight 3-0. Wylie made some errors and 2 of the runs were unearned. Brownwood scattered hits all over the field. That was great to see!

The best part for me was the pitching. The Junior pitcher worked the first4 innings and allowed only 3 or 4 hits but the Freshman pitcher camin in for the last 3 innings, faced 9 batters and struck out 8! She looked awesome!! The other out was a infield fly.

Great the Lady Lions appear to be back on track

95mustang
03-19-2010, 08:12 PM
Quick update. Lady Lions beat a salty Wylie team tonight 3-0. Wylie made some errors and 2 of the runs were unearned. Brownwood scattered hits all over the field. That was great to see!

The best part for me was the pitching. The Junior pitcher worked the first4 innings and allowed only 3 or 4 hits but the Freshman pitcher camin in for the last 3 innings, faced 9 batters and struck out 8! She looked awesome!! The other out was a infield fly.

Great the Lady Lions appear to be back on track

You left off the fact the Freshman pitcher only threw 2 or 3 balls in 3 innings of work.:clap: :clap: :clap:

ccmom
03-19-2010, 11:39 PM
You left off the fact the Freshman pitcher only threw 2 or 3 balls in 3 innings of work.:clap: :clap: :clap: Sorry I didn't get to see you there. I did get to meet L48's little princess. Your pitchers did look good tonight. I actually thought the score was 4-0. I know I'm right about our side of the score, anyway. Dangit!! Haha

95mustang
03-19-2010, 11:45 PM
I actually didn't get to the game but listened to it on the radio. My oldest was at the bluebonnet relays and I was between there and work.