PDA

View Full Version : Region I Scattershooting

vet93
09-10-2003, 09:00 AM
The Marquee game this week is Greenwood/Sweetwater. I stated earlier this week that the game would come down to turnovers and the kicking game. Greenwood has got to cutdown on the turnovers to regain the dominance of last year. If they repeat the turnovers that they did against Ballinger and Shallowater, then they will likely lose this game. If they are able to limit turnovers then watch out. Sweetwater has a very opportunistic defense that will play a big factor in the game. If all things are equal and it comes down to the kicking game it would be hard to pick against the leg of Dawson Wilbur.

Merkel/Ballinger is another game that will go a long way in showing if these two teams are for real. Merkel is coming off of a big win over Clyde and Ballinger is coming off of a blowout of Bangs. Ballinger will have to stay balanced on offense to keep a very good Merkel defense off balance. This is another game where turnovers could loom large.

Seminole really surprised me with their demolition of Monahans. Is Seminole that good? Is Monahans that bad? It will probably take several weeks to sort this out. If Seminole is for real then it could make the playoff picture in that district interesting with Merkel, Snyder, and Seminole vying for playoff spots along with the favorite...sweetwater.

Lamesa seems to really be on a downward spiral.

Is Breckenridge for real after a pasting of a weak Stamford team? We will find out this week. I think that they play Decatur.

Kennedale certainly can put up the points but do they have the defense this year to limit Everman and win another district championship? I have a feeling that the Bulldogs have the Kennedale game marked on the calendar for a little revenge!

Vernon is showing promise this year so far. They have a tough schedule which should help them going into district. Graham and Iowa park had tough losses last week. Vernon might be on the brink of reesablishing themselves as the team to beat in that district. The next two weeks will tell us alot for all three of these teams.

Wylie has the makings of being a better team than last year...the game with Aledo will tell us alot about them win or lose.

Pecos needs to step it up to make the playoffs. They can't lose to 2A teams, even though Alpine has a quality program. They have got to find a way to take advantage of their speed in the backfield.

Matthew328
09-10-2003, 09:32 AM
Greenwood-Sweetwater should be an awesome game..I am disappointed that I can't make it...I like Greenwood...but those Ponies always play well in the Bowl...

I think Ballinger will handle Merkel..Merkel however is a good team and should make the postseason...Ballinger has a shot to win the region..

I'm still skeptical of Seminole..they killed Monahans but the Loboes don't seem to have it this year..what is wrong in Lamesa?? Ever since the upset loss to Perryton in 2001 they have been struggling..

We'll learn alot about Breck this week against Decatur..with Sanger playing well could we see Lake Dallas miss the playoffs and send Decatur D-1??

Kennedale..well the Wildcats can score with anyone..but you are right..they gotta play better defense..

Is Vernon a sleeper in Region 1 Div 2??

We'll learn a lot about Wylie this week against Aledo..last year Aledo beat em bad..

I think Pecos makes the playoffs regardless...Greenwood wins 4-3A then you have Pecos and Kermit...Monahans and Ft Stockton won't be threats..

Borger continues to impress...they have to go up to Kansas and play this week though...

Wtx_coach
09-10-2003, 10:13 AM
Greenwood and Sweetwater should be another classic game in the mustang bowl, its hard to get a victory in the mustang bowl regardless oh who you are, greenwood will have to cut down the turnovers if they want to pull this victory out!!

Seminole has a good tailback by the name of Hill, they should fight and make that district interesting!

Monahans changed to the spread offense, that was a horrible change, without athletes its hard to have a good solid spread offense, I really dont think they will be a threat this year due to the the new offensive change.

As far a Pecos, vet was exactly right and its time to step it up and be a threat, Pecos should have beaten Alpine easily but fumbled the ball 4 times, twice when they were about to score and twice to give Alpine thier 2 touchdowns, we will see how they react this week to Lamesa, this should be a blow out if Pecos will be a threat this year!

Ballinger and Merkel should be a good game due to the fact that Merkel is on a 2 game winning streal, I wouldnt put to much stock on thi Badgers this week, I think Ballinger will pull this one out easily!

xlr8tor
09-10-2003, 11:20 AM
Have to agree that there's gonna be some good action at the Mustang Bowl this Friday night. Should be pretty tight.

As for Ballinger/Merkel, I think Ballinger takes this one pretty easy. Everybody seems to think this is Merkel's year. Maybe so, but Ballinger has been on the rise for the past couple of years, and seem to only be getting better.

As for District 4-3A, with the exception of Greenwood, it stinks, bad. Is Presidio even playing this year, not that it makes any difference. Pecos should be fighting for first with Greenwood or have a steady hold on second after having recently dropped down from 4A. Yet, they cannot even win against a decent 2A squad. Monahans hasn't had much to brag about lately. Kermit, well, are in about the same boat as the Lobos. And Ft. Stockton was also 4A in the not to distant past. Yet they seem to have gone from being a 4A doormat to being a 3A doormat. With the exception of Greenwood, possibly the worst district in 3A. Just my take.

Z motion 10 out on 2
09-10-2003, 12:31 PM
District 5 I think will be a horse race between Vernon, Graham, and Iowa Park.

Vernon looked decent against a larger 5A school (Altus) and won by 3. Good defense that should help them until the offense gets going. No passing game at all and that will hurt unless they get in on track. They face three 4A teams to round out the nondistrict. Wichita Falls, WF Hirshi, and Burkburnett. Hard to really tell about how good Vernon will be knowing that the competition is so good--unless they win them all and then watch out for the Lions if that happens. I would look for them to go 2-1 in that stretch. From what I have seen they are a much better team than last year if that means anything.

Iowa Park took apart a 4A school in Mineral Wells and then turned around and gave Burk another 4A school all they could handle and actually should have won the game save turnovers. They lost by 1 in overtime when the coach decided to go for the win and go for 2. He probably wouln't have done that in a district game. They have a good ball control offense and a solid defense. Their passing game is good as well as their ground game. They should give both Vernon and Graham all they can handle. Iowa Park and Vernon both play a common opponent in 4A WF Hirshi and 4A Burk which should give at least some sort of idea how they stack up.

Graham didn't do to well against Sweetwater. Now what do we really know about that? Either that Swater was that much better of a team or that Graham may have one of the off years. I really think it was just that Swater is just that good of a team. We should be able to tell in the next couple of weeks with Swater and Graham. Graham has to be the favorite here in this district. Good coaching and good coaching.

Bowie is just so small they have a hard time competing. They were much improved last year but I still think they would do much better in 2A.

Childress returned a lot of players from a team that was not that good last year. I don't see them doing much again this year, although they did beat a young but good 1A Quanah team. Time will tell here as well. This is teh second year for their head coach so by the time district rolls around they should be at the top of their game.

Breckenridge I have no idea about.

So I will be keeping a eye on the district 6 teams which look to have Wylie, Ballinger, and maybe Clyde.

It will be very important for the teams in distrcit 5 to get the top seed as to get the 2nd seed in district 6 so as not to have to play Ballinger first rattle out of the box.

xlr8tor
09-10-2003, 12:39 PM
Quanah is 2A. Just my take.

Z motion 10 out on 2
09-10-2003, 12:59 PM
My bad, they usually have a very good team.

xlr8tor
09-10-2003, 01:08 PM
Z motion 10 out on 2:
My bad, they usually have a very good team.I suspected it was just an oversight. At any rate, they usually do field a pretty good team. Just my take.

1 ranger fan
09-10-2003, 01:16 PM
Hello everyone. My first post so be gentle. Maybe i don't see everything but I think Greenwood may be in a little trouble defensively. They lost some pretty talented kids. Lots of work yet to do. But when you have a kid like Wilbur, you are always in every game. Should be fun in Sweetwater this week.

Ranger Mom
09-10-2003, 01:31 PM
Yippee!! Another Ranger Fan!! Do you know who I am?? Do I know you??

1 ranger fan
09-10-2003, 05:52 PM
no and no

Knightmoon
09-10-2003, 07:10 PM
Vet93, you did pick some interesting teams to talk about. I think there will be three really good games this Friday night. Without a doubt the Greenwood/Sweetwater matchup will be a great one. I will take Sweetwater. The Merkel/Ballinger game is going to be the upset of the week. I have watched Merkel's 1st two games and their defense is for real. They held Monahans to 174 yds total offense and Clyde only had 7 first downs. I think this should be another great game. Good Luck to both teams. The other matchup that should be a fun one to watch is Abilene Wylie vs Aledo. Wylie does have a much better team than they were given credit for at the start of the season. Aaron Philpot seems to be a needed boost for the Bulldogs.Seminole is the mystery. I think they are underrated. I think they are better than alot of people have given them credit for. Monahans is not that bad of team. I think they lack the offensive power needed to take them very far this year. Decatur will beat Breckenridge. As far as Kennedale and Everman--- Good Question. Too close to call at this stage. Good luck to all. Have fun Friday night and BE SAFE.

VWG
09-10-2003, 07:39 PM
Good question about Sanger. They seem to be playing pretty good and could end up in the playoffs. If Lake Dallas would get knocked out that would put Decatur in D-1.
Although not seeing Vernon play yet, I like what I read about the Lions. Getting past Altus, OK. is a darn good test for any 3A squad.
I don't think that Breckenridge will be much of a contender. I think that the larger schools in dist. 5 (Graham, Iowa Park, Vernon) have an edge in talent. Not to say that they aren't competitive, but it's hard for Breckenridge to crack even the top 3 in that district.
I like Sweetwater to win the game against Greenwood. The way their defense played against Graham was outstanding. Nice gameplan from Jackson and crew... Sweetwater by 14.
Ballinger should handle Merkel. I can't pick Merkel until they actually make some noise against a proven opponent. If they hang tough with Ballinger then we will see if they're for real.

Chief Woodman
09-10-2003, 08:20 PM
Iowa Park- do not put too much into the win over Mineral Wells....as Slpybear can tell you, Bridgeport is rebuilding this year, and yet they beat M W also.

Sanger beat Pilot Point and I expect them to be in the playoffs along with Lake Dallas and Decatur, with Bridgepot a close one for the # 3 spot.

Even if Decatur goes D1...they will do better in the playoffs than some might think. Matt has not seen Dane & company in person (Or has he?) I suspect they are not the easy victory he presumes they would be. Might even shock a few 'dawgs....time will tell.

1 ranger fan
09-10-2003, 08:37 PM
I will take Greenwood in a close game. Look for GW to get stronger and stronger. Week 5 Andrews game will be a good one.

Ballinger is a tough team. They will do very well this year. The receiver No. 82 is one of the most talented kids in the region.

Monahans is awful. Nothing will change there. The only reason they will make the playoffs is because of the district that they are in.

Don't know enough about the other teams to comment. Thanks

Comfortable Hemorrhage
09-10-2003, 09:13 PM
Graham has to much talent, Iowa Park seems to always make it in somehow, and Breck looks strong, so that means Vernon continues to miss out for at least another year.

Sanger seems to be fufilling some of the limited potential they had last year. I see them coming in the number 2 spot in 7-3a. I don't see any way Lake Dallas gets beat out for the 3rd spot. That means Decatur should win the district without to many problems (if so from a talented Sanger team or from rival Bridgeport for the one game they are sure to be up for). As time goes on Little should fufill their rightful place as the doormat or a spot above.

Chief Wood is right until you see Decatur's offense in person you just don't know how scary they are. Even though they put make the opponent react to them (usualy by passing) not the other way around. However, they have the ability to go run oriented if they have to (McKinney is one of the best runners/bruisers in 3A).

Question for Woody: do you think Breck is the biggest test so far for Decatur.

slpybear the bullfan
09-10-2003, 09:23 PM
Yes, Bridgeport is rebuilding this year. However, as long as Coach Henson keeps his high powered Offense anything can happen.

This is a team that you won't be able to judge until District play starts. They literally will take 5 games just to jell together.

Good luck Bulls, I'll be there.

Matthew328
09-11-2003, 07:29 AM
Chief Woodman:
Iowa Park- do not put too much into the win over Mineral Wells....as Slpybear can tell you, Bridgeport is rebuilding this year, and yet they beat M W also.

Sanger beat Pilot Point and I expect them to be in the playoffs along with Lake Dallas and Decatur, with Bridgepot a close one for the # 3 spot.

Even if Decatur goes D1...they will do better in the playoffs than some might think. Matt has not seen Dane & company in person (Or has he?) I suspect they are not the easy victory he presumes they would be. Might even shock a few 'dawgs....time will tell.I've seen Decatur once in person...and they are definatley a team to watch...I have plenty of repsect for Decatur..look where I have em rated..LOL No one I know wanted to see Decatur in Rd 1 last year and I am pretty sure we'd rather not see Decatur in Rd 1 this year...I certianly wouldn't presume an easy victory..LOL However with Everman's team speed I think they match up very well with teams that like to spread the field...

Chief Woodman
09-11-2003, 08:51 AM
Mr Hemmorage...no I suspect that Birdville is the best until we see Springtown. Birdville was much improved and won the week 2 game without their stud RB who was out with a hand infection. That being said, Breck will provide the biggest test for the O line so far. The LB's are fast and jump around alot, hard to tell when/where the blitz will come from. They had the best D scheme against Decatur last year, bar none.

Decatur's D will have some surprises for the Buckaroo's this week. Last week they gave up alot of yards to Pottsboro. The Mike backer was not even moving on the snap during inside run. Ends up his shoulder was hurt but he would not tell, thus he was trying to play while avoiding contact. Did not work to well so the inside gave up lots of yards, but that has been corrected. Look for at least two major changes in personnel...and one is out right scary.

Matthew I would love to see Everman VS Decatur....but I would prefer it be pre-district. It would be a shame for teams of that quality to have to face each other in the first round of the playoffs. Seems like a poor reward for good talent and coaching for a team to have to do that in round 1.

Slpybear...District is a ways off and you guys will improve, but so will Sanger, Decatur, and Lake Dallas. Who started out ahead may outweigh who improves...or who improves the most will move on. This is Lake Dallas' first year with this coach, so we will see what the new system does to or for them.

Z motion 10 out on 2
09-11-2003, 09:18 AM
Comfortable Hemorrhage:

Vernon has made the playoffs the past two years. Last year Ballinger beat them in bi-district and two years ago Perryton beat them in the regional final. Their team this year is somewhere in between the two past teams. Although I haven't seen Breckenridge play (I know they beat up on Stamford, but that doesn't mean too much) I don't see Vernon missing the playoffs. Depending on how Graham and IP improve they will be fighting for a district championship. Keep an eye on thier next two games as they play good 4a teams. Friday's battle with WF Old High will be an interesting game. If by chance Vernon wins this game or even keeps it close I think it will say something. If they get blown out well then maybe it will be a two horse race between IP and Graham.

For what it is worth.

heck
09-11-2003, 10:41 AM
Ok, I'll chime in regarding Reg. I. Starting up in the Panhadle, Borger is a real sleeper up there. They beat Plainview (albeit without Plainview's top rusher) and then Plainview kills Coronado. Nuff said! Canyon has fell on hard times and if they don't find a QB (again!) they will be average.

Moving down to the 2-AAA, I don't see any powerhouses there but Littlefield may be the top team instead of Muleshoe.

3-AAA is a tough district (toughest in Reg. I) and maybe getting tougher. DC and Seminole had been written off by a lot of people but they are good and could make some noise. Merkel is also strong and all will challenge Sweetwater. Snyder may be weaker than most think, we will see but they have to recover from a bad start and discipline problems to get back into the mix! Lamesa is a no-go this year. Note: if Snyder doesn't make the playoffs, Sweetewater goes D-1

4-AAA Well there is no doubt about who is best here. I don't see the runner-ups being a challenge to go far in the playoffs, but I didn't last year and Monahans made showeing.

5-AAA Like Z-motion says, I think Vernon will be better than 3rd place where a lot of folks are picking them. They have a good lookin' team. I have no idea how good Altus OK. was but they beat a larger school and that says something. Have no clue about IP. I noticed that both Burkburnett and Mineral Wells were weak so I don't think IP has been challenged by anybody yet. Graham will have to get back on track this week after the Sweetater game in order to regain some confidence. This district is a toss-up at this point.

6-AAA It's a two-horse race here but unitil Ballinger can beat Wylie, I will consider Wylie the top team. Wylie simply has the numbers advantage over the rest. It would be interesting to see the Wylie/Ballinger game tho. It could rival the Sweetwater/Greenwood game.

7-AAA Decatur is tops there without a doubt. They were loaded last year and didn't loose a whole lot. Not as familiar with the rest, but it wouldn't hurt my feelings any if Decatur went big school.

8-AAA Another two-horse district with Everman outclassing the field. However, I think Everman is much more beatable this year than last year and it should make for some interestng playoff games. Kennedale will take second.

well that an $0.50 will get you a cup of coffee in some joints!!!!

<small>[ September 11, 2003, 10:50 AM: Message edited by: heck ]</small>

Comfortable Hemorrhage
09-11-2003, 01:25 PM
Sorry z I stand corrected (yall did go 3-2 in district last year though so don't be to offended), and I could very well see how Vernon could move ahead of Breck and maybe even Iowa Park, but not the Steers.

vet93
09-11-2003, 01:28 PM
Heck or Wildstangs...if Merkel, Seminole and Sweetwater make the playoffs from your district would Sweetwater go Division I?

Z motion 10 out on 2
09-11-2003, 01:45 PM
Comfortable Hemorrhage:

No harm! I think that the Steers have a psycological grip on all the teams in their district. That seems to happen when a team has been so dominate for so long. Plus Graham has some great coaching. I haven't seen them play this year so I don't know a lot about them except they execute well due to the coaching. I really think IP will be as good as Graham and Vernon so it could be anybody's district. If Graham is in, which they should be then the next two take on district 6 which Ballinger is in and they look tough. So for my Vernon boys, they will have to at least get second in district to aviod Ballinger. Not that Ballinger can't be beat see the Greewood game, but Vernon is no Greenwood right now either.

heck
09-11-2003, 02:39 PM
Vet,
I believe Swater would go under those circumstances. I know they would if the enrollment figures from the first year of the reallignment are used. If they recertify each year then I am not that sure. Again, Swater was the second largest to Snyder:

Denver City 419
Lamesa 705
Merkel 448
Seminole 635
Snyder 778
Sweetwater 714

Wtx_coach
09-11-2003, 07:34 PM
remember last year , everyone saying that district 4-3aaa was weak, with the exception of greenwood. the loboes took care of that going 3 rds, it may look weak, the oponnent better be ready

Wbulldogs
09-11-2003, 08:00 PM
i think the sweetwater and greenwood game is goin to be a tough one but will help both teams tremendously goin into district play in a few weeks...and wylievs aledo is goin to be great game too...boyz from wylie r workin for that payback