PDA

View Full Version : It's me again WOS87

PhiI C
03-15-2010, 09:07 PM
Could you post the football history of San Antonio Brackenridge? I am mainly interested in the Warren McVey years which I think were between 1960-64. If you can thanks and if you can't it is ok since it is not 3A.

Old Dog
03-15-2010, 11:02 PM
Phil, I'm sure you recall the "1963 game of the century" which pitted Warren McVea (SA Brackenrige) against Linus Baer (sp)(SA Lee)! A whale of a game. Lee won 55-48. Lots of points scored, especially for during the 1960's when "D" was so dominate.

I have an old book covering the year SA Brackenridge won state in 1962 with an 11-3 record. McVea ended his HS career having scored 591 points.

PhiI C
03-15-2010, 11:45 PM
Originally posted by Old Dog
Phil, I'm sure you recall the "1963 game of the century" which pitted Warren McVea (SA Brackenrige) against Linus Baer (sp)(SA Lee)! A whale of a game. Lee won 55-48. Lots of points scored, especially for during the 1960's when "D" was so dominate.

I have an old book covering the year SA Brackenridge won state in 1962 with an 11-3 record. McVea ended his HS career having scored 591 points.

I remember that game indeed. It was fantastic. It is too bad it isn't available on the internet because I know they had films of it.
I think SA Brackenridge lost 3 of it's first 4 district games but won all the rest and the teams that beat them faltered enough for SA to win the district and make the playoffs barely.

WOS87
03-17-2010, 10:11 PM
Sorry... I just noticed this thread. I've been triple covering all this week at work due to all of my colleagues being off with their kids for Spring Break. Here's what I have currently but I'll work on extending it back this evening...

You can see the complete year-by-year largest classification results for the entire State from 1951-1973 at my Texas High School Football wiki which is part of texashsfootball.com, an approved link to post on this site. Since Brackenridge was largest classification during that time you can find the 1960-1964 results there right now.

Click here --->LINK (http://texashsfootball.com/board/thsfpedia/index.php/Years)

http://idisk.mac.com/cboehme69-Public/thsf/s/sabrackenridge.gif

WOS87
03-17-2010, 11:12 PM
UPDATE: The above history has been extended back to 1960 and updated through 2009. Brackenridge has fielded a varsity UIL football team going back to at least as early as 1918 but was closed and renamed Wheatley (the same name of the formerly segregated high school which had closed and actually merged with Brack in 1970 - please correct me if I'm wrong) in 1974 and in 1988 Wheatley's name was changed back to Brackenridge so the school has a rather convoluted history. I've got the Wheatley UIL history as well and will add those results in eventually.

WOS87
03-17-2010, 11:23 PM
Originally posted by PhiI C
I remember that game indeed. It was fantastic. It is too bad it isn't available on the internet because I know they had films of it.
I think SA Brackenridge lost 3 of it's first 4 district games but won all the rest and the teams that beat them faltered enough for SA to win the district and make the playoffs barely.

There's no way a team could have made the playoffs back then losing 3 district games in that small of a district with only one team qualifying per district. Brack went undefeated in district but lost 2 of their 4 NON-district games in '63 to Kingsville and CC Miller, and the loss to Lee in that epic game ended their season at 8-3-0. Lee ended up losing to CC Miller the very next week 19-21 in the 4A State Quarterfinals.

Phil C
03-18-2010, 03:36 PM
Thank you WOS87! You are right. I thought it was a bigger district. They only lost to Corpus Christi Miller in district and Miller must have lost at least twice to give them the championship. Great research and thank you.

What I do remember is that when the final 8 teams reached the quarterfinals they would have been the last one of the 8 that would have been picked to win state. I think they were underdogs for all the playoff games as it was.

Great information and once again thank you!

"How does he do it? How does he do it?" asked the Sinton GodFather as he reached for his cup of coffee.