PDA

View Full Version : La Grange Open

cotulla
03-14-2010, 10:28 PM
Southwest, Seguin add new football coaches
By Chad Peters- Express-News

The annual coaching carousel continues to revolve around the area’s high school football landscape.

Southwest and Seguin have new head coaches and Jefferson shouldn’t be far behind, while the Lee job has opened up.

La Grange head coach Wayne Walker was named Seguin’s head football coach and athletic director at a special school board meeting Thursday night, while Dragons offensive coordinator Pete Wagner was recently promoted to head coach and athletic director at Southwest.

Also, longtime Lee coach Jimmy Ramos has resigned, citing health reasons. He said he has asked to be reassigned within the North East Independent School District.

“I’ve been dealing with that (health issues) and wanted to spend more time at home with my family,” said the 44-year-old Ramos, a 22-year coaching veteran who went 18-71 in his nine seasons at Lee. “I don’t want to elaborate on anything. I’d like to keep it very personal. I’ve decided this was the best course of action to take.”

The job opening at Lee already has been posted. The district’s athletic director, Jerry Comalander, said he hopes to have it filled “as soon as possible.”

The opening at Jefferson could be filled even sooner, as San Antonio Independent School District athletic director Gil Garza said they would take a name to the school board on March 22.

As for the two positions that were filled, Wagner was only somewhat surprised to be given his first head coaching opportunity at the young age of 31. He has spent the past four seasons as an assistant at Southwest, helping former coach Matt Elliott — now at New Braunfels Canyon — build the program into a powerhouse.

“Being one of the only guys that was here since we came in with Coach Elliott, I thought maybe I’d have a chance,” Wagner said. “Surprised? Not completely.”

Walker takes over a 2-8 Seguin team, which coincidentally was the same record of the team he inherited at La Grange. He took the program to last season’s Class 3A Division II state semifinals with a 12-3 record in his fifth season at the school.