PDA

View Full Version : Behind closed doors with Mike Leach

lakers
03-12-2010, 05:01 PM
link removed for language...lhpm
(warning video contains VERY explicit language, i.e. do not open if small children are around or if you are at work)

Post-game videos of former Texas Tech football coach Mike Leach during the 2009 season show Leach directing players, whom he calls the "God squad guys," how to pray and also threatening the "living situation" of some players because, "Last time I checked, we're paying the (expletive) bills around here."

Mike Leach will be deposed Friday in a lawsuit he has filed against Tech.
The videos, which are unedited and may be offensive to some, were taken by a Texas Tech film crew inside the post-game locker room.

They were obtained from Texas Tech under the Texas Open Records Act.

After a 20-13 victory over Baylor on Nov. 28, 2009, Leach is seen for several minutes using expletives to criticize his players for thinking they're "too good" to play Baylor and for an up-and-down season, including a "close" loss to Texas.

"There's a couple of you guys that your current living situation is going to change," Leach says. "We've got several of you, particularly on offense, all you do is pull mediocrity out of one another. Well, you're going to live somewhere else. Last time I checked, we're paying the (expletive) bills."

After a 42-21 victory over Kansas on Oct. 31, 2009, Leach directs some of his players, whom he calls "God squad guys," about how to pray.

"What does God say? 'If you're lukewarm, I'll spew you out,'" Leach says. "? If you're a defensive player, I don't need one side of the brain on playing defense and one side thinking, 'Oh gee, I wonder, this. I wonder that. I wonder the other thing.' No, no. Screw that.

"Your whole head's got to be on defense. Your whole head has to be on offense. Your whole head for that play has to be on special teams. If you're not doing that, you guys who are throwing the book around all the time, you're defying the book."

Leach was fired with cause as coach at Texas Tech in December with four years remaining on a five-year $12.7 million contract. The school contends it owes Leach nothing because he was guilty of insubordination after filing for a restraining order to coach his team in the Alamo Bowl two days after being suspended.

Leach has sued the school for breach of contract, slander and libel and claims he is entitled to the $10 million that was left on his contract plus damages.

Leach is expected to be deposed on Friday in Lubbock as part of a lawsuit he has filed against Texas Tech. A gag order has been placed on both parties in the lawsuit by the judge overseeing the case.

Reached on Thursday, Leach said he could not comment on the video because of the gag order. Texas Tech athletic director Gerald Myers, reached in Kansas City at the Big 12 Basketball Tournament, also declined to comment because of the gag order in the case.
http://texas.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1062191

Reds fan
03-12-2010, 06:25 PM
Well, I have never been inside a college football locker room....but I do not think that speech would be all that out of line from any other locker room. Just sayin'....

Maroon87
03-12-2010, 06:51 PM
He doesn't exactly make you want to run through a wall for him...

Green Bling
03-12-2010, 07:41 PM
Career over!!

PanhandleGal96
03-12-2010, 08:03 PM
I'm sure it's not different from some coaches, but surely you can come up with more intelligent words to use than the f-- word repeatedly. In addition, as stated above, it's not like he was saying it in a motivational manner. It was more like he was just talking to hear himself talk.

I know he wins ballgames and I would never try to fight my college kids battles, but I could see why some people would not want their kids on his teams.

I know some coaches who win who also are upstanding examples of poise and character in tough situations.

I agree--career over!

OLE'BULL
03-12-2010, 08:42 PM
Dont see a thing wrong with it. He's speaking the truth, dont go play college football, or any level of football for that matter, if you have sensitive ears or feelings. Its an emotional game...

westcoast54
03-12-2010, 10:12 PM
Originally posted by Green Bling
Career over!!

Don't think so. I played some DII ball and trust me...I heard much, much worse. That's part of it when you go to college. It may not be right but, that's the way it is. Coaches are hired to WIN games in college...not worry about hurting someone's feelings. If you can't take it, then leave don't play. Coach Leach was right, they are paying the bills.

lakers
03-12-2010, 10:42 PM
After talking to players and a friend in the chancellors office I agree with the university's move to fire him. If you think that video was bad, you should hear about the conversation he had with the chancellor. Mods would flip out over that...haha

If anybody wants to see the video since it has been removed let me know. (it will give you a lot different perspective of Leach)