PDA

View Full Version : What sets your town apart from other towns? (taking a lead from BDR lol)

SintonFan
03-11-2010, 11:04 PM
What is a distinguishing characteristic(s) of your town? What makes it special? Museums, dance halls, eating or whatever.

I'll start first:
Sinton has the title "City of Parks" on it's entry in the city, but it could also be known as the "City of Churches". Sinton has around 20 separate churches in and just out of town that have the 364 in it's main phone number.
Sinton also has the claimed biggest statue of a squirrel in Texas or beyond.
Locals know about the alligator hazards on the Sinton municipal golf course.
Sinton is also the County Seat for San Patricio County.

What sets your town apart from other towns?

LE Dad
03-11-2010, 11:20 PM
I can stand in 2 states at once.:D

SintonFan
03-11-2010, 11:25 PM
Originally posted by LE Dad
I can stand in 2 states at once.:D

OK, if I lived on the border I could stand on two countries at once.:p

Gimme something solid.

Old Dog
03-11-2010, 11:41 PM
I'm not going to brag about my town directly, but rather extol the virtues of small town life. It is very hard to explain or understand if you are not raised in a small town. Most of the kids can't wait to get out and free of the "oversite" that exists there. But now so many of our young people are coming home to raise their families even if they have to work in or around Austin and commute home to Burnet and allow their kids to go to school.

SintonFan
03-11-2010, 11:43 PM
Originally posted by Old Dog
I'm not going to brag about my town directly, but rather extol the virtues of small town life. It is very hard to explain or understand if you are not raised in a small town. Most of the kids can't wait to get out and free of the "oversite" that exists there. But now so many of our young people are coming home to raise their families even if they have to work in or around Austin and commute home to Burnet and allow their kids to go to school.

That is distinguishing.:cool: :clap:

LE Dad
03-11-2010, 11:49 PM
Originally posted by SintonFan
OK, if I lived on the border I could stand on two countries at once.:p

Gimme something solid. Here ar a couple that I can think of for now. I will have to researh some others to seperate fact from fiction

Birthplace of Ross Perot
Home of Truman Arnold - Founder of Road Runner convenience stores, and of the late Jim Yates - founder of E-Z Mart convenience stores

Also home of the "Phantom Killer" responsible for a series of murders that will NEVER be solved.

eagles_victory
03-11-2010, 11:52 PM
Here ar a couple that I can think of for now. I will have to researh some others to seperate fact from fiction

Birthplace of Ross Perot
Home of Truman Arnold - Founder of Road Runner convenience stores, and of the late Jim Yates - founder of E-Z Mart convenience stores

Also home of the "Phantom Killer" responsible for a series of murders that will NEVER be solved. Our high school facilities. Locker rooms, arena, library are probably some of the better ones you will ever see at a 3a school. Also very nice science labs and brand new elementary and intermediate schools.

Sam's restaurant

A highly regarded lake just outside of town.

One of the popular stops along I-45 for travelers.

bandera7
03-12-2010, 12:52 AM
"Cowboy Capital of the World"

This one is tooting my own horn, but...home to the Mayan Dude Ranch, a world class western themed resort.

The O.S.T. restaurant.

The Silver Dollar, where Stone Cold Steve Austin is known to frequent.

Travis Pastrana has a dirt bike course out about 20 minutes away, and rumor has it, parties in Bandera sometimes...:D (all before Nitro Circus, but still pretty cool)

The Longhorn Saloon is owned by a Brian Black, brother to Clint Black.

Home of Charlie Robison.

Also, second oldest polish catholic parish in Texas.

Have been the opening joke on Jay Leno twice.

Home of world famous trick roper Kevin Fitzpatrick

coach
03-12-2010, 12:55 AM
i live the oldest town in texas

carter08
03-12-2010, 12:58 AM
We have the first Buc-ee's. Ever. It's called Mr. B's, is located in a tiny strip center on the edge of town, and does not have clean bathrooms.

GrTigers6
03-12-2010, 06:56 AM
Here ar a couple that I can think of for now. I will have to researh some others to seperate fact from fiction

Birthplace of Ross Perot

Also home of the "Phantom Killer" responsible for a series of murders that will NEVER be solved. Dont forget about the " Faulk Monster" just slightly southwest of there. :D

GrTigers6
03-12-2010, 07:00 AM
Well obviously all the Dinosaur attractions, tracks,lifesize figures. Three rivers, fossil rim drive thru zoo, big rocks park, oh and awesome facilities for high school athletics.

pancho villa
03-12-2010, 09:42 AM
Pancho Villa lives in our town.

El Rey del Mundo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LE Dad
03-12-2010, 09:43 AM
Originally posted by GrTigers6
Dont forget about the " Faulk Monster" just slightly southwest of there. :D Yes, the good ole Fouke Monster.lol Fouke was also home for Tony Alamo until he relocated to the Federal Prison System.:)

SintonPirateFan
03-12-2010, 09:50 AM

i'm proof of this post. when i graduated, i couldn't wait to get out of Sinton. but after living in 2 other countries, 2 other states, and even just someplace different in Texas, the only place i've considered "home" is the place i was in such a hurry to leave over a decade ago. and now, in exactly 60 days, i'll be back home for good!!

Ranger Mom
03-12-2010, 09:56 AM
Ummm......we aren't even really a town???:)

Greenwood will be the place for "Crudefest" April 29th and May 1st.....it will be about 2 miles down the road from my house.

Some bands that will be there are:

CORY MORROW
BART CROW BAND
BRANDON RHYDER
KYLE PARK
WHISKEY MYERS
KYLE BENNETT BAND
MODERN DAY DRIFTERS
CODY HUGHES DAVIDSON (Greenwood Kid!!!)
JEREMY STEDDING
ZACK EDWARDS BAND
LARRY JOE TAYLOR
ROGER CREAGER
JOSH ABBOTT BAND
JOHNNY COOPER
MICKY & THE MOTORCARS
MARK MCKINNEY
RICH O'TOOLE BUCKSHOT BRADLEY
CHARLIE SHAFTER GRANGER SMITH
CHARLA CORN
HARBER MILLER BAND CROSSING TYLER

Plus more!!

LE Dad
03-12-2010, 10:26 AM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
Ummm......we aren't even really a town???:)
Guess that is why this is a tough one for me...Liberty- Eylau is a group of communites, part inside and on the outskirts of Texarkana. Texarkana TX and AR are approaching 100,000 in population so not exactly easy to list all the attributes. You can generally find something interesting (we have enough tour groups come through to prove that) If you can't find anything here you can drive 15-20 mins to any one of 3 surrounding States. Thats the best I got other than... We have a Hooters. :p

waterboy
03-12-2010, 10:31 AM
We have a Hooters. :p
:clap: :clap:

icu812
03-12-2010, 10:58 AM
We got about 10 Vandal red oil wells surrounding the high school and baseball field.

Our new football stadium holds twice as many people as live in Van.

Thats all I got, which is why its still a small town :D

Gobbler Fan
03-12-2010, 11:04 AM
1866 Chisholm Trail began outside present day Cuero .
Cuero is named for "Cuero Creek". Cuero is Spanish for "rawhide". The Spanish called it Arroyo del Cuero or Creek of the Rawhide. This was a reference to cattle that would get stuck in the mud along the creek bank.
http://www.vlib.us/old_west/trails/cthist.html

1868 Taylor-Sutton Feud
The Taylor-Sutton Feud was the longest and bloodiest in Texas, . It encompassed a thirty year span and was said to have originated from bad feelings after the Civil War during Reconstruction
http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/SS/jcs3.html

1875 & 1886 Hurricanes destroyed Indianola, TX; people relocated to Cuero
Many Cuero citizens migrated to escape the hurricanes that had destroyed Indianola, Texas. Indianola once rivaled Galveston as a gulf port. Some families went so far as to dismantle their homes in Indianola and rebuilt them in Cuero. The first hurricane hit on September 15, 1875. The town was full because of visitors attending a trial that was a result of the Taylor-Sutton Feud. Fatalities were estimated at 150 to 300. Only eight buildings were left undamaged by the storm. On August 19, 1886 a second hurricane hit and was accompanied by a fire.

1912 Turkey Trot Parade
The Turkey Trot, which has evolved into present-day Turkeyfest, began in 1912. Traveling salesmen from the north began watching with great interest the large flocks of turkeys that were driven on foot to the Cuero market. Today there is an annual race between turkeys from Worthington, Minnesota and Cuero, Texas. Also, there is a carnival, live entertainment, arts and crafts, and much more during the three day event.

SintonPirateFan
03-12-2010, 11:09 AM
Originally posted by Gobbler Fan
1866 Chisholm Trail began outside present day Cuero .
Cuero is named for "Cuero Creek". Cuero is Spanish for "rawhide". The Spanish called it Arroyo del Cuero or Creek of the Rawhide. This was a reference to cattle that would get stuck in the mud along the creek bank.
http://www.vlib.us/old_west/trails/cthist.html

1868 Taylor-Sutton Feud
The Taylor-Sutton Feud was the longest and bloodiest in Texas, . It encompassed a thirty year span and was said to have originated from bad feelings after the Civil War during Reconstruction
http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/SS/jcs3.html

1875 & 1886 Hurricanes destroyed Indianola, TX; people relocated to Cuero
Many Cuero citizens migrated to escape the hurricanes that had destroyed Indianola, Texas. Indianola once rivaled Galveston as a gulf port. Some families went so far as to dismantle their homes in Indianola and rebuilt them in Cuero. The first hurricane hit on September 15, 1875. The town was full because of visitors attending a trial that was a result of the Taylor-Sutton Feud. Fatalities were estimated at 150 to 300. Only eight buildings were left undamaged by the storm. On August 19, 1886 a second hurricane hit and was accompanied by a fire.

1912 Turkey Trot Parade
The Turkey Trot, which has evolved into present-day Turkeyfest, began in 1912. Traveling salesmen from the north began watching with great interest the large flocks of turkeys that were driven on foot to the Cuero market. Today there is an annual race between turkeys from Worthington, Minnesota and Cuero, Texas. Also, there is a carnival, live entertainment, arts and crafts, and much more during the three day event.

in the military, "Turkey trots" means something totally different....and will send some people into twitches from flashbacks. lol

MUSTANG69
03-12-2010, 11:19 AM
Emory Bellard was head coach in Ingleside at one time.
That may be our only claim to fame.

grahampaw
03-12-2010, 11:22 AM
We are named after a cracker.And our mascot has an empty sack.

waterboy
03-12-2010, 11:29 AM
Originally posted by grahampaw
:spitlol: Funny, but true....:D

big daddy russ
03-12-2010, 11:49 AM
Originally posted by MUSTANG69
Emory Bellard was head coach in Ingleside at one time.
That may be our only claim to fame.
Hey now, Naval Station Ingleside used to be the home of the entire minesweeping fleet of the US Navy.

Swan Lake in Ingleside was home to a huge archaelogical find.

Our two major fabrication yards--Kiewit and Aker/Gulf Marine--two of the world's largest and most-capable fab yards for offshore rigs.

Back in the late-80's, Gulf Marine was where the platform for the Bullwinkle offshore rig was constructed. At the time (and for a decade after it was built), it was the largest oil rig in the world and is still the third-largest fixed-platform rig in the world.

Also built part of Pompano, the fourth-largest fixed-platform rig in the world.

Gulf Marine constructed the hull of the Ram-Powell rig located Gulf, just south of Alabama, a 3,570-ft tension leg structure.

I know, a lot of it's boring, but it's kept my dad, along with tons of other Ingledinks and Bayrats employed for decades.

MUSTANG69
03-12-2010, 12:05 PM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
Hey now, Naval Station Ingleside used to be the home of the entire minesweeping fleet of the US Navy.

Swan Lake in Ingleside was home to a huge archaelogical find.

Our two major fabrication yards--Kiewit and Aker/Gulf Marine--two of the world's largest and most-capable fab yards for offshore rigs.

Back in the late-80's, Gulf Marine was where the platform for the Bullwinkle offshore rig was constructed. At the time (and for a decade after it was built), it was the largest oil rig in the world and is still the third-largest fixed-platform rig in the world.

Also built part of Pompano, the fourth-largest fixed-platform rig in the world.

Gulf Marine constructed the hull of the Ram-Powell rig located Gulf, just south of Alabama, a 3,570-ft tension leg structure.

I know, a lot of it's boring, but it's kept my dad, along with tons of other Ingledinks and Bayrats employed for decades.

Here's some other historical facts.

A Yankee naval ship was captured in Ingleside Cove during the civil war.
The first cattle drive in Texas started in Ingleside.(Martinez ranch I think.)
Ingleside was the grape capitol of the United States at one time.
Also, back in the sixties we may have been home of the world's biggest water ballon fight on Halloween night.:D

44INAROW
03-12-2010, 12:15 PM
Here's some other historical facts.

Also, back in the sixties we may have been home of the world's biggest water ballon fight on Halloween night.:D
I went to a party in Ingleside back in the summer of 1972 or 73 and it was AWESOME.. We were staying at Key Allegro and the "parental units" had gone to Corpus for a dinner party so we (several 15 and 16 year old girls lol) went and found these "guys" we'd met at Port A earlier that day and partied with them at some place in Ingleside. I have absolutely no idea where we were lol. The hair stands up on the back of my neck thinking about how BADLY this could have gone. It was a carefree time. oops, I got off topic a little bit :p

MUSTANG69
03-12-2010, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by 44INAROW
I went to a party in Ingleside back in the summer of 1972 or 73 and it was AWESOME.. We were staying at Key Allegro and the "parental units" had gone to Corpus for a dinner party so we (several 15 and 16 year old girls lol) went and found these "guys" we'd met at Port A earlier that day and partied with them at some place in Ingleside. I have absolutely no idea where we were lol. The hair stands up on the back of my neck thinking about how BADLY this could have gone. It was a carefree time. oops, I got off topic a little bit :p

I remember that party. I wasn't aware that you girls were under 18!:eek:

ASUFrisbeeStud
03-12-2010, 12:45 PM

Love Burnet, we have a lake house and I would love to move that way.

44INAROW
03-12-2010, 12:46 PM
I remember that party. I wasn't aware that you girls were under 18!:eek:

That is a detail we failed to mention :) had to act 18 so we could buy beer at the Circle K :)

ASUFrisbeeStud
03-12-2010, 01:10 PM
Sweetwater, TX

At Sweetwater during World War II, the Women Airforce Service Pilots were trained under the direction of the famed aviatrix Jacqueline Cochran at the former Avenger Field. The airstrip closed abruptly at the end of the war. The women were not recognized for having served in the armed forces until 1977, when U.S. Senator Barry M. Goldwater of Arizona and Colonel Bruce Arnold, late son of General Hap Arnold, persisted in obtaining their official recognition as military veterans. In 1970, the field became the site of Texas State Technical College in Sweetwater.

Sweetwater is the center of the Western Hemisphere's leading wind power generation region. It is sometimes called the "Wind Turbine Capital of Texas", which does not regulate wind power

The Sweetwater Jaycees Rattlesnake Round-Up is held annually the second weekend in March

In the fictional Harry Potter universe, Sweetwater is the hometown of the professional Quidditch team the Sweetwater All-Stars.

On the albumn All the Pain Money Can Buy by Fastball, Sweetwater, Texas is name of the last song.

Sammy Baugh began playing football in Sweetwater in the 1920s and had his high school jersey number retired in 2006.

Royston Campbell Crane, Sr., Sweetwater attorney who in 1924 proposed the establishment of the West Texas Historical Association and served as its president from 1924-1948. His original colleagues included Rupert N. Richardson and William Curry Holden.

L.W. "Buck" Hatfield, a leader of Independent Baptists in Texas, lived in Sweetwater during the 1950s

Lew Jenkins, world champion boxer, lived and trained in Sweetwater during the Great Depression.

Walter F. Maloney (1927-2009) was a pharmacist in Sweetwater from 1956-1996 who served on the Sweetwater School Board. A native of Goree, he graduated from Roscoe High School in Roscoe. He was the highest-scoring high school football player in Texas in 1945. He continued his education at Texas Tech University in Lubbock, where he played football and procured a degree in animal husbandry. After service with the U.S. Navy in the Korean War, he obtained his pharmacy degree from the University of Texas at Austin. Maloney died at the age of eighty-two in Abilene, Texas. His wife, the former Florence Hendricks, died in 2007. Maloney was survived by a daughter, Vicki Nazworth of Sweetwater; two sons, Mike Maloney of Ozark, Missouri, and David Maloney of Branson, Missouri, where he and Florence lived from 1996-2003, four grandchildren, and three great-grandchildren. He was a member of the First United Methodist Church in Roscoe. Interment was at Roscoe Cemetery.

Professional wrestlers Blackjack Mulligan and his sons, Barry Windham and Kendall Windham, as well as John "Bradshaw" Layfield, were all born in Sweetwater.

Birthplace of mathematician and network engineer Robert C. Prim.[citation needed]

Home of trial lawyer and state legislator Temple Dickson (1934-2006), a Democrat.

Texas Secretary of State and influential Texas Supreme Court Justice Zollie Coffer Steakley, Jr. practiced law in Sweetwater during the 1930s, and his wife, Leona Ruth Butler, was a Sweetwater native

Doyle Brunson aka Texas Dolly grew up in Sweetwater.

We're known for our Lawyers, Gamblers, and Pro Wrestlers apparently, not bad.

Green Bling
03-12-2010, 01:34 PM
We are proud of our recently restored DeWitt County Courthouse.
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=3329789&id=296489308269

coach
03-12-2010, 01:38 PM
Well obviously all the Dinosaur attractions, tracks,lifesize figures. Three rivers, fossil rim drive thru zoo, big rocks park, oh and awesome facilities for high school athletics.

underrated small town...i grew up in cleburne and my summer vacations were spent at fossil rim, the city pool, and the river

buckeyebob
03-13-2010, 08:31 PM
Home of the Buckeyes

Home of the Yamboree

Home of the Swanner Burger

Home of Hog Wild Hunting Tournament

and We have a Dairy Queen

navscanmaster
03-13-2010, 10:03 PM
Originally posted by eagles_victory
Our high school facilities. Locker rooms, arena, library are probably some of the better ones you will ever see at a 3a school. Also very nice science labs and brand new elementary and intermediate schools.

Sam's restaurant

A highly regarded lake just outside of town.

One of the popular stops along I-45 for travelers.

Gilberto's and that new steakhouse are awesome! We stay at LaQuinta or Holiday Inn Express at least twice a week during our work schedule.

navscanmaster
03-13-2010, 10:44 PM
Navasota, TX

Facts:

CHUCK NORRIS LIVES HERE. End of facts as nothing can outdo this.

j/k!

French explorer LaSalle murdered during mutiny by crew while searching for the Mississippi River in the 17th century.

Frank Hamer, leader of posse that stopped Bonnie and Clyde, and long time Texas Ranger, was city marshal and is considered to be the main factor in cleaning up a lawless Navasota in the early 1900's.

Oscar Wyatt, a 1941 graduate of NHS, founded the Coastal Oil and Gas Company and was a wealthy business man. He became infamous worldwide for funneling money to Saddam Hussein for access to Iraq's oil. Served a short prison term after a plea deal.

Lifelong home of Mance Lipscomb, a famous blues player and singer/songwriter in the 60's and 70's.

Opinions:

Many sports fans will never forget Brule Field, which was the home of the Rattler's football teams from 1933-2006. Definitely sets Navasota apart.

The great, old Victorian homes and shady old trees lining Washington Ave., the main drag in town.

Great new sports facilities, including renovated little league fields with more to come, a new football stadium and basketball gym, and a world class golf course.

mwrams
03-14-2010, 07:28 AM
Although we are not 3A until next season. We have THE FINEST facilites in 3A! A 14 story Haunted hotel! One of the Most Beautiful lakes in Texas (Possum Kingdom) is just up the road!

sinton66
03-14-2010, 11:08 AM
What is a distinguishing characteristic(s) of your town? What makes it special? Museums, dance halls, eating or whatever.

I'll start first:
Sinton has the title "City of Parks" on it's entry in the city, but it could also be known as the "City of Churches". Sinton has around 20 separate churches in and just out of town that have the 364 in it's main phone number.
Sinton also has the claimed biggest statue of a squirrel in Texas or beyond.
Locals know about the alligator hazards on the Sinton municipal golf course.
Sinton is also the County Seat for San Patricio County.

You forgot about the world famous tortilla burger.:D

SintonFan
03-14-2010, 12:14 PM
Originally posted by sinton66

I didn't want to tell them everything.;)

SintonPirateFan
03-14-2010, 02:55 PM
Originally posted by sinton66

Sinton also had a Semi-Pro baseball team (Plymouth Oilers) that won the national championship i BELIEVE 2 years in the 50's. for sure once.

maroonpirate04
03-14-2010, 07:30 PM
The "Neverending S" is the best logo created by Sinton than any other school :D :D also our mascot Capt. Skully who came to Sinton in 2006

SintonFan
03-15-2010, 01:07 AM
Matthew called it...:D

SintonFan
03-15-2010, 01:58 AM
Sorry, it was Jacket...:D

GrTigers6
03-15-2010, 06:00 AM
Yes, the good ole Fouke Monster.lol Fouke was also home for Tony Alamo until he relocated to the Federal Prison System.:) I knew I spelled it wrong, couldnt remember. That movie about him was about some of my families experiences with him. I have several family members there in that area.

bigwood33
03-15-2010, 07:52 AM
Whitesboro is at the north end of the "Quarter Horse Corridor", (Aubrey, Pilot Point, Whitesboro) along Hwy 377. There are lots of horse ranches and trainers in and around town. It is also eqidistance between lakes Texoma and Ray Roberts, 15 miles, so there are alot a lot of fishermen and recreational boaters in the area.

grahampaw
03-15-2010, 09:46 AM
Originally posted by bigwood33
Whitesboro is at the north end of the "Quarter Horse Corridor", (Aubrey, Pilot Point, Whitesboro) along Hwy 377. There are lots of horse ranches and trainers in and around town. It is also eqidistance between lakes Texoma and Ray Roberts, 15 miles, so there are alot a lot of fishermen and recreational boaters in the area. And home to a future olympic shot putter maybe?

bigwood33
03-15-2010, 05:55 PM
Originally posted by mwrams
Although we are not 3A until next season. We have THE FINEST facilites in 3A! A 14 story Haunted hotel! One of the Most Beautiful lakes in Texas (Possum Kingdom) is just up the road!
Mineral Wells was also the home to the 1st Hilton Hotel.

bigwood33
03-15-2010, 05:56 PM
And home to a future olympic shot putter maybe?
Who know what the future holds. Hayden got 11th at the NCAA Indoor Championships this past weekend...not bad for an 18 yr old freshman!

AP Panther Fan
03-15-2010, 06:01 PM

Sinton has around 20 separate churches in and just out of town

We probably have that many Mexican food restaurants. Truly amazing and they all do very well as far as I can tell. :thinking:

LE Dad
03-15-2010, 06:41 PM
I knew I spelled it wrong, couldnt remember. That movie about him was about some of my families experiences with him. I have several family members there in that area. That is not the worst mis-spell...
The "Welcome to FOUKE" sign is a running joke in this area. It has letters that can be ripped loose and reattached. You never no what it will say. The worst was when the vandal removed the E knocked the right side off of the O and exchanged it and the U. :doh: The funniest was when they removed every thing but OK. This happens every few months and no one has ever been caught.... I wonder if it is "the monster"?lol

GrTigers6
03-15-2010, 06:52 PM
That is not the worst mis-spell...
The "Welcome to FOUKE" sign is a running joke in this area. It has letters that can be ripped loose and reattached. You never no what it will say. The worst was when the vandal removed the E knocked the right side off of the O and exchanged it and the U. :doh: The funniest was when they removed every thing but OK. This happens every few months and no one has ever been caught.... I wonder if it is "the monster"?lol Could be. :D

BEAST
03-16-2010, 10:32 AM

LOL!:fnypost:

Thats the funniest thing Ive read in days.

BEAST

BEAST
03-16-2010, 10:40 AM
Originally posted by ASUFrisbeeStud
Sweetwater, TX

At Sweetwater during World War II, the Women Airforce Service Pilots were trained under the direction of the famed aviatrix Jacqueline Cochran at the former Avenger Field. The airstrip closed abruptly at the end of the war. The women were not recognized for having served in the armed forces until 1977, when U.S. Senator Barry M. Goldwater of Arizona and Colonel Bruce Arnold, late son of General Hap Arnold, persisted in obtaining their official recognition as military veterans. In 1970, the field became the site of Texas State Technical College in Sweetwater.

Sweetwater is the center of the Western Hemisphere's leading wind power generation region. It is sometimes called the "Wind Turbine Capital of Texas", which does not regulate wind power

The Sweetwater Jaycees Rattlesnake Round-Up is held annually the second weekend in March

In the fictional Harry Potter universe, Sweetwater is the hometown of the professional Quidditch team the Sweetwater All-Stars.

On the albumn All the Pain Money Can Buy by Fastball, Sweetwater, Texas is name of the last song.

Sammy Baugh began playing football in Sweetwater in the 1920s and had his high school jersey number retired in 2006.

Royston Campbell Crane, Sr., Sweetwater attorney who in 1924 proposed the establishment of the West Texas Historical Association and served as its president from 1924-1948. His original colleagues included Rupert N. Richardson and William Curry Holden.

L.W. "Buck" Hatfield, a leader of Independent Baptists in Texas, lived in Sweetwater during the 1950s

Lew Jenkins, world champion boxer, lived and trained in Sweetwater during the Great Depression.

Walter F. Maloney (1927-2009) was a pharmacist in Sweetwater from 1956-1996 who served on the Sweetwater School Board. A native of Goree, he graduated from Roscoe High School in Roscoe. He was the highest-scoring high school football player in Texas in 1945. He continued his education at Texas Tech University in Lubbock, where he played football and procured a degree in animal husbandry. After service with the U.S. Navy in the Korean War, he obtained his pharmacy degree from the University of Texas at Austin. Maloney died at the age of eighty-two in Abilene, Texas. His wife, the former Florence Hendricks, died in 2007. Maloney was survived by a daughter, Vicki Nazworth of Sweetwater; two sons, Mike Maloney of Ozark, Missouri, and David Maloney of Branson, Missouri, where he and Florence lived from 1996-2003, four grandchildren, and three great-grandchildren. He was a member of the First United Methodist Church in Roscoe. Interment was at Roscoe Cemetery.

Professional wrestlers Blackjack Mulligan and his sons, Barry Windham and Kendall Windham, as well as John "Bradshaw" Layfield, were all born in Sweetwater.

Birthplace of mathematician and network engineer Robert C. Prim.[citation needed]

Home of trial lawyer and state legislator Temple Dickson (1934-2006), a Democrat.

Texas Secretary of State and influential Texas Supreme Court Justice Zollie Coffer Steakley, Jr. practiced law in Sweetwater during the 1930s, and his wife, Leona Ruth Butler, was a Sweetwater native

Doyle Brunson aka Texas Dolly grew up in Sweetwater.

We're known for our Lawyers, Gamblers, and Pro Wrestlers apparently, not bad.

Recently watched a documentary on the WASPs. I didnt realize it was in Sweetwater though. Also, what is animal husbandry?:eek:

BEAST

waterboy
03-16-2010, 10:45 AM
Originally posted by BEAST
Also, what is animal husbandry?:eek:

BEAST
:spitlol: Why did I think of nobogey when I read this?:doh: :D

Here is the definition......I was curious, too:

Animal husbandry, also called animal science, stockbreeding or simple husbandry, is the agricultural practice of breeding and raising livestock.

BEAST
03-16-2010, 10:47 AM
Originally posted by bigwood33
Mineral Wells was also the home to the 1st Hilton Hotel.

Cisco, Texas makes that same claim. Wikipedia also credits it to Cisco.

BEAST

mwrams
03-16-2010, 02:26 PM
I did not think Mineral Wells had the 1st Hilton. We do still have (although closed) The Baker Hotel. We also had the largest Basic Training camp during WWII. Audie Murphy took Basic here as did Eddie Slovak...the only soldier executed for desertion during the war. We also were the home to the Chicago White Sox spring training during the teens. Shoeless Joe Jackson was on those teams.

LH Panther Mom
03-16-2010, 08:03 PM
Originally posted by BEAST
Also, what is animal husbandry?:eek:

BEAST
:mad: :mad: :mad: Resistance is futile!

It's what they study at Agricultural Universities. :p

buckeyebob
03-17-2010, 06:01 AM
Originally posted by waterboy
:spitlol: Why did I think of nobogey when I read this?:doh: :D

Here is the definition......I was curious, too:

Animal husbandry, also called animal science, stockbreeding or simple husbandry, is the agricultural practice of breeding and raising livestock.

I thought this was illegal...sounds perverted to me.

Old Dog
03-17-2010, 09:06 AM
If you eat a hamburger or a steak, then you are part of the perversion, LOL. The old saying goes, "if you eat, you are involved in agriculture"!

buckeyebob
03-18-2010, 05:41 PM
NO! NO! NO!
The Animal husbandry & stockbreeding part...:D

SintonFan
03-18-2010, 07:44 PM
Originally posted by AP Panther Fan
We probably have that many Mexican food restaurants. Truly amazing and they all do very well as far as I can tell. :thinking:

Truly amazing...:D

grahampaw
03-18-2010, 08:07 PM
The Texas Cattle Raisers Assn was started under an Oak Tree downtown in 1877.