PDA

View Full Version : Baylor's Daring 1922 Attempt (for sahen)

PhiI C
03-11-2010, 08:31 PM
Baylor won the SWC championship in 1922 with an 8-3 record. In 1922 near the end of the season the Baylor Coaches found out that they had two games scheduled the same day. Coach Bridges decided he would like to try to win 2 games on the same day. Both schools were Non 1 A schools and were scheduled on 12-9-22.
Coach Bridges had an assistant coach take over for the game with Phillips because the prior year Baylor had beaten them 34 to 6 so he felt htat would be an easier game. He sent the second team to play and they lost 0-41. The other game they had their players play Haskell and lost a close 21 to 20 game.
Even though Baylor lost both games it was indeed daring. But Phillips was insulted because Baylor had sent their second team to play them and they protested and Baylor was reprimanded verbally.

Most daring indeed. I am sure it has happened other times though but it is much to be admired.

PhiI C
03-11-2010, 08:34 PM
That is one reason I am always much afraid when Texas faces Baylor because any team that will make such a daring attempt must be respected and admired and not taken lightly. Scary times indeed!

sahen
03-11-2010, 11:35 PM
i guess that fight has moved from the footblal team to the basketball team...

Bull Butter
03-12-2010, 12:19 AM
Originally posted by PhiI C
That is one reason I am always much afraid when Texas faces Baylor because any team that will make such a daring attempt must be respected and admired and not taken lightly. Scary times indeed!

Another reason you should be afraid is that Baylor just defeated Texas for the 3rd time this year

NastySlot
03-12-2010, 01:06 AM
Originally posted by Bull Butter
Another reason you should be afraid is that Baylor just defeated Texas for the 3rd time this year

and I think it might be the fourth time in a row after something like 20+ losses in a row.

PhiI C
03-12-2010, 08:53 AM
Originally posted by Bull Butter

That increases the risk for football.