PDA

View Full Version : Lawn fertilizer

bwdlionfan
03-09-2010, 08:59 PM
When do you guys generally fertilize your lawn? I have bermuda grass and a nice mix of weeds. I bought some weed and feed today.

big daddy russ
03-10-2010, 03:01 AM
Big times for me are right now (first warm week of the year) and late fall (winterizer). Also throw some yard feed down in the summer, but it's more of filler to keep the grass green than to help keep it healthy and spreading.

We've had some weeds starting to creep in and our grass is already looking sadder than this time last year. Not sure if it's due to the colder winter, weeds, other factors, or a mix, but I plan on aerating and then fertilizing our yard this weekend.

My wife and friends think I'm crazy, but I actually enjoy yard work.

Pick6
03-10-2010, 10:43 AM
Originally posted by bwdlionfan
When do you guys generally fertilize your lawn? I have bermuda grass and a nice mix of weeds. I bought some weed and feed today.

Fertilize with a complete fertilizer containing nitrogen, phosphate and potassium 1 or 2 times a year, spring and fall.

Apply Nitrogen 1-2lbs. per 1000 sq ft per year.

Reds fan
03-10-2010, 11:22 AM
I go by a schedule like this:

March:
3-1-2 ratio fertilizer for green up.
Pre emergent herbicide like Amaze or Belan

April:
3-1-2 ratio fertilizer (slow release formula)

Late May:
Pre emergent herbicide

Early July:
3 or 4-1-2 slow release fertilizer

Oct/Nov:
Winterizing fertilizer
Pre emergent herbicide

After one year of this schedule you will be amazed how effective a pre-emergent herbicide like Amaze is. Preventing the weeds from emerging and then reseeding is the key and this stuff works wonders. So much cheaper in the long run than weed and feed products.

Pick6
03-10-2010, 12:11 PM
Originally posted by Reds fan
I go by a schedule like this:

March:
3-1-2 ratio fertilizer for green up.
Pre emergent herbicide like Amaze or Belan

April:
3-1-2 ratio fertilizer (slow release formula)

Late May:
Pre emergent herbicide

Early July:
3 or 4-1-2 slow release fertilizer

Oct/Nov:
Winterizing fertilizer
Pre emergent herbicide

After one year of this schedule you will be amazed how effective a pre-emergent herbicide like Amaze is. Preventing the weeds from emerging and then reseeding is the key and this stuff works wonders. So much cheaper in the long run than weed and feed products.

Do you realize that's more fertilizer than the Texas Rangers, Frisco Roughrides, Cotton Bowl, Frisco's Dr Pepper Soccer Field, Texas A&M and most of all the golf courses in the DFW area use...lol

Reliant Stadium will be lucky next year, they are finally getting good grass in that place.

Reds fan
03-10-2010, 03:11 PM
Originally posted by Pick6
Do you realize that's more fertilizer than the Texas Rangers, Frisco Roughrides, Cotton Bowl, Frisco's Dr Pepper Soccer Field, Texas A&M and most of all the golf courses in the DFW area use...lol

Reliant Stadium will be lucky next year, they are finally getting good grass in that place.

:D It does sound like a lot does it not? And I've got about an acre of lawn! Still, a bag of good fertilizer will cover an acre when properly applied, and for me 4 times per year suits me when it saves many days from repairing or doctoring a lawn that is not cared for.

SintonFan
03-10-2010, 08:47 PM
Originally posted by bwdlionfan

The weeds this year are among the worst I have seen everywhere. I think the cold weather helps them a bit.
Talked to an old-timer today and he swears he has never seen the kind of weed he has in the Corpus area, ever. He still is pretty sharp so I believe him. The soil temperature around the Robstown area was still around 52 degrees yesterday. Not good for planting this time of year.

BDR, you are crazy...:p

Pick6
03-11-2010, 07:48 AM
Originally posted by SintonFan
around 52 degrees yesterday. Not good for planting this time of year.

Why plant anything, buy sod. You can lay it as long as the sod isn't frozen and it will be just fine.

jason
03-11-2010, 11:55 AM
Why plant anything, buy sod. You can lay it as long as the sod isn't frozen and it will be just fine. i have a guy coming by my house today to get a quote for laying sod....

probably need around 1500 square feet....

Pick6
03-11-2010, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by jason
i have a guy coming by my house today to get a quote for laying sod....

probably need around 1500 square feet....

Call me with the quote before you buy it. Maybe we can work out a deal for that wedge...lol

SintonFan
03-11-2010, 10:47 PM
Why plant anything, buy sod. You can lay it as long as the sod isn't frozen and it will be just fine.

I should have clarified this. I was talking about farmers planting in their fields.

sotex
03-20-2010, 10:24 PM
If you want Bermuda and can wait until about mid-April you can save a lot of money by seeding bermuda rather than laying sod.

rancher
04-06-2010, 10:53 AM
Follow reds fan schedule and you will be the talk of the town for your lawn. That is the schedule used in the Randy Lemmon listening area, he host is the host of Gardenline. This is also the same schedule that Neil Sperry uses. HOWEVER, REMEMBER NEVER USE ANY WEED AND FEED THAT CONTAINS ATRAZINE. This product is very very dangerous and will kill everything but the grass.

Keith7
04-06-2010, 11:03 AM
http://smiley.onegreatguy.net/pee.gif
http://www.inkycircus.com/jargon/images/grass_by_conformity.jpg

PPSTATEBOUND
04-06-2010, 11:37 AM
I went to A&M and got liscensed for this exact thing. Did it for 10 years then moved on. All the broadleafs will die with regular mowing and the oncoming heat. The grassy's weed will be there indefinite until treated with a MSMA product. Good for Dallas, Goose and crab grasses and so on. Two treatments will usually wipe them out. Your dallas grass was planted for a reason it is very tuff and came about from the cattle drives, they planted this grassy weed for the durability it had on the cattle trails and now is a comin nuisence in lawns, and also the hardest weed to eliminate. St. Augustine owners beware. most any kind of weed killer will damage this stuff to no end, unless the grass is dormant when being sprayed.

Reds fan
04-06-2010, 11:46 AM
Originally posted by rancher
Follow reds fan schedule and you will be the talk of the town for your lawn. That is the schedule used in the Randy Lemmon listening area, he host is the host of Gardenline. This is also the same schedule that Neil Sperry uses. HOWEVER, REMEMBER NEVER USE ANY WEED AND FEED THAT CONTAINS ATRAZINE. This product is very very dangerous and will kill everything but the grass.

Thanks for bringing that up rancher, I could not remember where I got started on that schedule!

PPSTATEBOUND
04-06-2010, 12:28 PM
ATRAZINE= recomended for proffesional use only.

Simazine is what I used. Still pretty dang potent for a pre-emergent.

Reds fan
04-06-2010, 12:38 PM
Originally posted by PPSTATEBOUND
St. Augustine owners beware. most any kind of weed killer will damage this stuff to no end, unless the grass is dormant when being sprayed.

Very true of most sprays or WP's (wettable powders) that is why I like to use granular pre-emergent weed killers (preventatives).

Old Green
04-07-2010, 05:02 PM
I just finished puting out 150 lbs. of weed & feed in time. It just started raining here.

SintonPirateFan
04-07-2010, 10:01 PM
i did it the lazy way. called Evergreen and had them spray. 90% of weeds were dead within a week. their next spraying will be a mixture with 40% nitrogen then spot spraying for dallas grass etc. they also use a pre-emergent, so a few days after they spray, just water the lawn and the weed killer will get to the root system.