PDA

View Full Version : Coolest Small Town in Texas?

big daddy russ
03-09-2010, 03:56 PM
The Cuero thread got me wondering your opinions on the coolest little places in this great state of ours. Opinions?

Mine:
1. Wimberley
2. Round Top
3. Canton
4. Luckenbach
5. Lajitas

Love Cuero, too. Along with Sanderson, Terlingua, Hemphill, Onalaska, San Marcos (it's small enough), Bandera, Spicewood, Lago Vista, Port Aransas, Rockport, Poteet, Swinney Swi...............................

Etc, etc, etc.

ronwx5x
03-09-2010, 03:59 PM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
The Cuero thread got me wondering your opinions on the coolest little places in this great state of ours. Opinions?

Mine:
1. Wimberley
2. Round Top
3. Canton
4. Luckenbach
5. Lajitas

Love Cuero, too. Along with Sanderson, Terlingua, Hemphill, Onalaska, San Marcos (it's small enough), Bandera, Spicewood, Lago Vista, Port Aransas, Rockport, Poteet, Swinney Swi...............................

Etc, etc, etc.

Don't forget Ozona, not!!!

44INAROW
03-09-2010, 04:09 PM
Love me some Round Top;)

NateDawg39
03-09-2010, 04:19 PM
Bandera gets my vote. Good times in that part of Texas ;)

Blue42
03-09-2010, 04:21 PM
Originally posted by 44INAROW
Love me some Round Top;)
Ill be there on the 26th

Phantom Stang
03-09-2010, 04:40 PM
Mingus:devil:

BreckTxLonghorn
03-09-2010, 04:49 PM
Fredericksburg.

Breweries, Wineries, Germanaries, and the Nimitz museum. Yes please.

Gobbler Fan
03-09-2010, 04:59 PM
1.Terlingua
2.Port Aransas
3.Rockport
4.Port Oconnor
5.Lajitas

Phil C
03-09-2010, 05:06 PM
What about Sonora?

Phil C
03-09-2010, 05:08 PM
Don't forget South Padre Island, Texas located near Brownsville. It is a very popular tourist town with lots of fun on the beaches and other entertainment. Also the Pelican West Band plays there and their place is located at 410 Padre Isla Blvd. just south of the Isla Grande Hotel. Enjoy!

DDBooger
03-09-2010, 05:09 PM
Originally posted by Phil C
Don't forget South Padre Island, Texas located near Brownsville. It is a very popular tourist town with lots of fun on the beaches and other entertainment. Also the Pelican West Band plays there and their place is located at 410 Padre Isla Blvd. just south of the Isla Grande Hotel. Enjoy! :thinking: And what kind of music does Pelican West Band play?

Phil C
03-09-2010, 05:25 PM
Originally posted by DDBooger
:thinking: And what kind of music does Pelican West Band play?

They play al types of music. Fantastic indeed!

Green Bling
03-09-2010, 05:34 PM
All great towns that y'all mentioned! Just love trekking through those towns.
Goliad has it's own charm as well.

garciap77
03-09-2010, 05:35 PM
Originally posted by Phil C
They play al types of music. Fantastic indeed!

Phil C! Is this the Pelican West Band?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-VZlw6RTQik&feature=related

:cool:

bandera7
03-09-2010, 07:07 PM
Originally posted by NateDawg39
Bandera gets my vote. Good times in that part of Texas ;)

How often do you visit bandera? And what exactly do you engage in there?? haha

sinfan75
03-10-2010, 06:26 PM
There's a few Sinton folk who trek to Bandera at least once a month. Some keep there camping trailers there year round. LOL! One guy from Sinton actually works at the Silver Dollar.

BwdLion73
03-10-2010, 08:10 PM
Startimg to look like the makings of a 3AD reunion.:D

Antec
03-10-2010, 08:42 PM
Fayettville
Weimar
Hallettsville
Shiner
Round Top
Blanco

SintonFan
03-10-2010, 11:25 PM
Concan

ehatch
03-11-2010, 02:07 PM
ROCKSPRINGS TEXAS

Daddy D 11
03-11-2010, 02:13 PM
Vanderpool, Texas.

LE Dad
03-11-2010, 02:34 PM
1. Uncertain
2. Gun Barrell City
3. Cooper
4. Jefferson
5. Canton /Gladewater

icu812
03-11-2010, 07:00 PM
Originally posted by LE Dad
1. Uncertain
2. Gun Barrell City
3. Cooper
4. Jefferson
5. Canton /Gladewater

That is a random list right there. I totally agree about Jefferson. Neat town. Mardi Gras is a blast, great history and bed & breakfasts. I do some work in Gun Barrell City and its a good idea to bring a gun barrell when you go there. Sorry but its horrible. Typical lake affect community. Canton is ok to visit on First Monday Trades Day but if you live there the traffic is awful one weekend a month. Some crazies in Canton as well. Gladewater and Cooper just seem like avg towns to me. Interesting list.....

zebrablue2
03-11-2010, 10:03 PM
Originally posted by 44INAROW
Love me some Round Top;)

antiques start in 2 weeks, well really next weekend. round top and warrenton... shop till you drop!!

LE Dad
03-11-2010, 10:29 PM
Originally posted by icu812
That is a random list right there. I totally agree about Jefferson. Neat town. Mardi Gras is a blast, great history and bed & breakfasts. I do some work in Gun Barrell City and its a good idea to bring a gun barrell when you go there. Sorry but its horrible. Typical lake affect community. Canton is ok to visit on First Monday Trades Day but if you live there the traffic is awful one weekend a month. Some crazies in Canton as well. Gladewater and Cooper just seem like avg towns to me. Interesting list..... GBC isn't that bad, except on Holidays. The lake parties are outrageous. Just pull up and tie off and if one party dies off you go to the next. The only bad part is there are so many boat and PWC on the lake that the water is extremly choppy. Jefferson Mardi Gras is cool, wall to wall people and party. Cooper and Uncertain are cool lake towns, just relax on the water. GW is just a nice little town, I used to work there and enjoyed the town.

SintonFan
03-11-2010, 10:51 PM
GBC isn't that bad, except on Holidays. The lake parties are outrageous. Just pull up and tie off and if one party dies off you go to the next. The only bad part is there are so many boat and PWC on the lake that the water is extremely choppy.

Isn't that a dry county? I have passed through there(actually stayed in Athens) but never stopped to ask where the biggest party was.:D

LE Dad
03-11-2010, 11:14 PM
Originally posted by SintonFan
Isn't that a dry county? I have passed through there(actually stayed in Athens) but never stopped to ask where the biggest party was.:D Gun Barrell has alcohol. Hoot N Hollar, I believe is the name of the liquor store and Brookshires has beer.

SintonFan
03-11-2010, 11:24 PM
Gun Barrell has alcohol. Hoot N Hollar, I believe is the name of the liquor store and Brookshires has beer.

With a name like Gun Barrel City it got to be ....

cr180t
03-12-2010, 10:20 AM
South Padre:clap:

pancho villa
03-12-2010, 10:51 AM
Originally posted by SintonFan
Concan

Love me some concan!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AP Panther Fan
03-15-2010, 04:41 PM
I really enjoy going to Kingsville. The King Ranch tour is fun as well as the King Ranch Museum downtown. Lots of neat little shops, an old pharmacy/soda fountain and of course, the King Ranch Saddle Shop for those not faint of heart (wallet).;)

ASUFrisbeeStud
03-15-2010, 04:49 PM
I like Greune personally, a little touristy but there are some amazing restaurants and you can't beat the oldest dance hall in Texas.

AP Panther Fan
03-15-2010, 05:04 PM
Originally posted by ASUFrisbeeStud
I like Greune personally, a little touristy but there are some amazing restaurants and you can't beat the oldest dance hall in Texas.

I like Gruene too...they also have that old ice cream shop downtown. It's also fun to sit out on the deck at the biker bar right on the river.

pirate4state
03-15-2010, 10:42 PM

Me too.

I also like:

Paint Rock
Menard
Ballinger
Huntsville (I guess maybe it's not a "small" town) but I really love that part of our State!

SintonPirateFan
03-16-2010, 07:54 AM
after living up here in wichita falls for a few years, i have come to love the little German towns like windthorst and muenster. great sausage, great STRUEDEL and great festivals.

BEAST
03-16-2010, 10:12 AM
Originally posted by pirate4state
Me too.

I also like:

Paint Rock
Menard
Ballinger
Huntsville (I guess maybe it's not a "small" town) but I really love that part of our State!

What in the world do you do in Paint Rock, Menard, or Ballinger that is that great?

BEAST

ASUFrisbeeStud
03-16-2010, 10:15 AM
Originally posted by BEAST
What in the world do you do in Paint Rock, Menard, or Ballinger that is that great?

BEAST

Haha I was thinking the same thing.

pirate4state
03-16-2010, 11:55 AM
Originally posted by BEAST

BEAST

haha they just make me smile when I drive through. Paint Rock is a cool little old town. I've always wanted to stop and look at the Indian pictographs, but still haven't done it. :(

Menard has that State of Texas deal when you enter town from the South and that nice little park.

Ballinger just has some great old buildings. :nerd:

Leave me alone! :tongue: :D

Red&White_9x5
03-16-2010, 02:27 PM
How about Concan, Blanco, Llano, Ballinger, Mason, and Junction

Ex-Tiger2005
03-16-2010, 02:38 PM
Originally posted by Red&White_9x5

i passed thru llano on my way to a wedding just before christmas and i fell in love with that place!

my wife is from san saba and that is another place i would like to visit because i hear it is beautiful down there.

Red&White_9x5
03-16-2010, 02:50 PM
Originally posted by Ex-Tiger2005
i passed thru llano on my way to a wedding just before christmas and i fell in love with that place!

my wife is from san saba and that is another place i would like to visit because i hear it is beautiful down there.

I agree, it is a pretty cool place

SintonPirateFan
03-16-2010, 02:53 PM

have family in junction......used to run the Junction restaurant right there on the interstate. good camping and riverside cabins for canoe or innertube rides down the llano.

Eagle Eyes
03-16-2010, 06:20 PM
Stephenville
Shiner
Fredricksburg
Seven Points

RMAC
03-17-2010, 02:00 AM
Loving. Named after Oliver Loving, the cattleman. It's just a slow down between Jacksboro and Olney on TX 114 but its got a pretty good little restaurant.

teetle
03-19-2010, 09:05 AM
Dont's forgets abouts Sealy. If yous cant's gets it in Sealy, yous don'ts wants it. Title Town. De fried Chickens is good too.:D :eek: :D

ASUFrisbeeStud
03-19-2010, 09:11 AM
I agree, it is a pretty cool place

I love the golf course in San Saba, well I hate it but it's beautiful, too many trees on the back nine but other than that it's great.

Red&White_9x5
03-19-2010, 10:33 AM
I love the golf course in San Saba, well I hate it but it's beautiful, too many trees on the back nine but other than that it's great.

I agree that it is a pretty cool little course. There are a lot of neat courses down that way. San Saba, Llano has one that goes along the river, very nice city course in Burnet that is always in great shape, even Lampasas has a good little course

Z-RO
03-20-2010, 12:28 AM
I am shocked that nobody has mentioned Cool, Texas yet lol. Seems like it wins hands down.

RMAC
03-20-2010, 01:56 AM
Originally posted by Z-RO
I am shocked that nobody has mentioned Cool, Texas yet lol. Seems like it wins hands down.

I bought my parents 25th anniversary present from Cowboy Stone Carvers there. They've got a nice little place to stop off and eat too.