PDA

View Full Version : Home protection??

BEAST
03-09-2010, 02:34 PM
We live in a very nice part of Brownwood. However, that makes theives interested I suppose. Ive had my wifes Denali broken into and last night they hit my truck. I believe there may have been an attempt on my home as well. Do any of you have a recommendation on what to get. I know Brinks or something like that can "secure" the home. I also have lots of guns and everyone in the house know how to use them. What about outside equiptment?

BEAST

waterboy
03-09-2010, 02:42 PM
How about some surveillance cameras? Set them up to where they'll be pointed at your vehicles and all entrances to your house. I'd set some bait to get the thieves to come back.....:devil:

BEAST
03-09-2010, 03:00 PM
I have thought about doing just that. Didnt know if there were any types/brands better than others.

BEAST

ASUFrisbeeStud
03-09-2010, 03:50 PM
Rhodesian Ridgebacks, get a couple and chain them in the yard.

big daddy russ
03-10-2010, 02:58 AM
It's a little more expensive than some of the other brands, but my wife and I have Pinnacle Security. It has a battery backup (lasts for a day or two) and sends a distress signal via cell rather than a landline. They can't cut any wires that will shut it off or shut it up, and we don't have to break down and buy a land line.

Plus, we have a yellow lab, a pit bull, and a small stockpile.

Between all those, we're OK.

NateDawg39
03-10-2010, 08:22 AM
Grab a lawn chair, jug of whiskey and a double barrel 8 gauge....I bet they think twice ;)

Reds fan
03-10-2010, 05:02 PM
A simple sign that says something like:

This property protected by a double barrel shotgun that ain't loaded with sofa pillows!

ronwx5x
03-10-2010, 07:01 PM
Originally posted by waterboy
How about some surveillance cameras? Set them up to where they'll be pointed at your vehicles and all entrances to your house. I'd set some bait to get the thieves to come back.....:devil:

That's a lesson plan on how to get charged with manslaughter!:inlove: Bait ain't allowed. One or two sleepless nights might prove useful, however. A camera seems like a lot of money, but might prove it's own value.

BwdLion73
03-10-2010, 08:28 PM
I know the feeling Beast, 5 or 6 years ago I had a theft from my garage. Never had anything stolen before or since but I still remember that and felt like I had been violated. I know all my neighbors and visited with each one. Never found out who stole my Miter saw but have never forgot it.
I baited and spent many nights wishing I could visit with the thief.

While a small crime by todays standards, for those of us who work everyday to provide and have things it is very important for your family and property.

If there were not several thefts in your area that night I would check for people near your neighborhood.

SintonFan
03-10-2010, 08:36 PM
Originally posted by BEAST
I have thought about doing just that. Didnt know if there were any types/brands better than others.

BEAST

Buy a couple of those driveway sensors and set them up to ring close to you. Have the shotgun loaded.
or
You can build a surveillance system pretty cheap. Harbor Freight has cameras for 20-30 bucks and Q-See sells a DVR computer card that records 4 channels for about 60 bucks on 2Cows or Amazon. Altex has a decent DVR card for about 100 bucks.
Or you could invest in a pre-made security system like these:
Costco 1 (http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11486756&whse=BC&Ne=4000000&eCat=BC|79|4802&N=4001405&Mo=15&No=1&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&cat=4802&Ns=P_Price|0||P_SignDesc1&lang=en-US&Sp=C&topnav=)
Costco 2 with $400 discount (http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11503340&whse=BC&Ne=4000000&eCat=BC|79|4802&N=4001405&Mo=15&No=1&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&cat=4802&Ns=P_Price|0||P_SignDesc1&lang=en-US&Sp=C&topnav=)
Good Luck and catch those perps.
I have no sympathy for those who try to steal what we have earned legally.:mad:

SintonFan
03-10-2010, 08:38 PM
Originally posted by BwdLion73
I know the feeling Beast, 5 or 6 years ago I had a theft from my garage. Never had anything stolen before or since but I still remember that and felt like I had been violated. I know all my neighbors and visited with each one. Never found out who stole my Miter saw but have never forgot it.
I baited and spent many nights wishing I could visit with the thief.

While a small crime by todays standards, for those of us who work everyday to provide and have things it is very important for your family and property.

If there were not several thefts in your area that night I would check for people near your neighborhood.

My neighbors and I have given each other permission to use any force necessary to defend our property.

DU_stud04
03-10-2010, 08:51 PM
i have land mines strategically placed around my property. it keeps the neighbors cats honest, and the kids from sneaking out...they've seen what happens to the cats. hee hee hee
http://ugaprssa.files.wordpress.com/2009/01/major-payne.jpg

BwdLion73
03-10-2010, 09:15 PM
Originally posted by SintonFan
My neighbors and I have given each other permission to use any force necessary to defend our property.

The neighbor thing is one of the best defenses. I know all of mine by name . We have met as a group and exchanged numbers. Law Enforcement is streched too thin to be everywhere. I am lucky that I have a retired couple living near my house.

On the plus side they know when anyone out of place is in the area or at my house.
On the minus side they know when anyone out of place is at my house!:D ;) :D

SintonFan
03-10-2010, 11:04 PM
Originally posted by BwdLion73

On the plus side they know when anyone out of place is in the area or at my house.
On the minus side they know when anyone out of place is at my house!:D ;) :D

:thinking: :doh: :D

Farmersfan
03-11-2010, 09:25 AM
I had a couple of fellows stop by my house one morning about a week ago (I assume to look at my RV) and my neighbor came out with his pistol to ask them some questions. Needless to say they didn't spend much time explaining.
A 70 year old man in his underwear waving a big handgun is about as good a security system as you can get!!!!! :D

Old Dog
03-11-2010, 08:51 PM
A sign saying "THIS PROPERTY PROTECTED BY SMITH & WESSON" might help. Just joking, the police don't appreciate that usually.

SintonFan
03-14-2010, 12:25 PM
Beast, Harbor Freight has those driveway alerts on sale.
Look here (http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=93068)

sinton66
03-14-2010, 01:24 PM
My neighbor has a sign in his apartment window that says "This property protected by 12 guage shotgun three nights a week. You guess which three."

sinton66
03-14-2010, 01:25 PM
My brother had this sign on his front door.

http://img294.imageshack.us/img294/2544/ownerposter.jpg

SintonFan
03-15-2010, 01:05 AM
Originally posted by sinton66
My neighbor has a sign in his apartment window that says "This property protected by 12 guage shotgun three nights a week. You guess which three."

So do yall BBQ a few times a week?;)

Emerson1
03-15-2010, 10:37 AM
Get motion detectors put on your flood lights

sinton66
03-15-2010, 08:50 PM
Originally posted by SintonFan
So do yall BBQ a few times a week?;)

At least once a week.

And my choice:
Remington 870 Express 12 ga. pump.

zebrablue2
03-15-2010, 09:53 PM
Originally posted by sinton66

:clap:

LE Dad
03-16-2010, 09:34 PM
Originally posted by Emerson1
Get motion detectors put on your flood lights Very good suggestion. I would suggest a motion activated camera, if you deer hunt this would make a good excuse to buy you one that would serve a dual purpose.:D

Green Bling
03-17-2010, 01:30 PM
Lowes has motion sensor floodlights for around $35. We have one neighbor that is on alert 24/7 it seems. When someone's floodlights come on, she calls to see if everyone is OK. A little over vigilant sometimes, but the lights are a nice convenience. Of course, they can be set off by a dog or cat, and sometimes high wind.

SintonFan
03-17-2010, 08:53 PM
Originally posted by Green Bling
Lowes has motion sensor floodlights for around $35. We have one neighbor that is on alert 24/7 it seems. When someone's floodlights come on, she calls to see if everyone is OK. A little over vigilant sometimes, but the lights are a nice convenience. Of course, they can be set off by a dog or cat, and sometimes high wind.

The Habitat store has motioned activated floodlights for about 10 bucks and night activated floodlights for about 4 bucks.
Yes, I know. I'm a cheap bastard.:D