PDA

View Full Version : Fajitas....

Bullaholic
03-05-2010, 01:17 PM
Time for a food thread to get everyone in the mood for the weekend...

http://www.pcpros-tx.com/fajitas.jpg

Fajitas?---How you make yours?

I'm pretty basic--I just grab the packaged fajita meat from the store and fling it in a skillet with some oil, and then add some onions and green peppers. I know some folks who have got some dynamite fajita marinades, because I've eaten some great homemade fajitas ---but they won't share much. One guy did spill that he uses margarita mix as part of the marinade. :D

Just add a few ice-cold Dos Equis or Coronas.....

How about you?

turbostud
03-05-2010, 01:21 PM
I just put on some fajita seasoning and grill them over a mequite/charcoal mixture

Trashman
03-05-2010, 03:02 PM
i'm too lazy, i get the precooked fajita meat from wally world to make mine. :D

STANG RED
03-05-2010, 03:37 PM
I use sirloin steak instead of flank like most people do. Sirloin is a much better cut of meat, and is usually cheaper (flank was dirt cheap until fajitas got so popular). Just use the fajita seasonings on it, and throw em on the grill, along with all the veggies. Best fajitas you ever had!

sinton66
03-05-2010, 04:03 PM
Hire 'ol sinton66 to fix em for you.:D

Ex-Tiger2005
03-05-2010, 04:09 PM
Originally posted by STANG RED
I use sirloin steak instead of flank like most people do. Sirloin is a much better cut of meat, and is usually cheaper (flank was dirt cheap until fajitas got so popular). Just use the fajita seasonings on it, and throw em on the grill, along with all the veggies. Best fajitas you ever had!

Have you tried ribeye steak? I tried it once and i will never use anything else again!

garciap77
03-05-2010, 04:27 PM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
Time for a food thread to get everyone in the mood for the weekend...

http://www.pcpros-tx.com/fajitas.jpg

Fajitas?---How you make yours?

I'm pretty basic--I just grab the packaged fajita meat from the store and fling it in a skillet with some oil, and then add some onions and green peppers. I know some folks who have got some dynamite fajita marinades, because I've eaten some great homemade fajitas ---but they won't share much. One guy did spill that he uses margarita mix as part of the marinade. :D

Just add a few ice-cold Dos Equis or Coronas.....

How about you?

soy sauce
dos equis green bottle
lime
onions
sprite
garlic
sake

Marinate over night and then cook on hot mesquite wood.

http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd185/garciap77/fajita-500x282.jpg

And don't forget the:http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd185/garciap77/3358507269_63d9b05fb7.jpg:D

STANG RED
03-05-2010, 04:46 PM
Originally posted by Ex-Tiger2005
Have you tried ribeye steak? I tried it once and i will never use anything else again!

I'm sure its fantastic. $10+ per lb is a bit pricey for fajita meat though. Sure would be good though. I'll have to try it some day. I do love me some top notch medium rare ribeye steak!!!

garciap77
03-05-2010, 04:57 PM
Originally posted by STANG RED
I'm sure its fantastic. $10+ per lb is a bit pricey for fajita meat though. Sure would be good though. I'll have to try it some day. I do love me some top notch medium rare ribeye steak!!!

Like the ones nobogey bought us at Mr. Burger???:D

;)

sinton66
03-05-2010, 08:39 PM
Soy Sauce???? This is Texas, not China.:D

Green Bling
03-05-2010, 09:14 PM
Originally posted by sinton66
I agree that you just can't go putting that foreigner stuff on Texas staples, but PLEASE go ahead and tell us what to do to get the best fajitas? We'll be your BFFs!!:D :D

sinton66
03-05-2010, 11:31 PM
Originally posted by Green Bling
I agree that you just can't go putting that foreigner stuff on Texas staples, but PLEASE go ahead and tell us what to do to get the best fajitas? We'll be your BFFs!!:D :D

Fiesta brand Fajita seasoning (dry marinate overnight in the fridge) cook over mesquite,
That's pretty much it.

garciap77
03-06-2010, 12:09 AM

That is how we cooked them in Okinawa, Japan back in the 80s when fajitas sold for 79 cents a pound. People from The Valley, San Antonio, and other parts of Texas loved them.:D

:)

Maroon87
03-06-2010, 02:35 AM
Marinade in Worcesterchire sauce, Italian dressing, beer, and melted butter. Baste in BBQ sauce. Yummm!:cool:

sinton66
03-06-2010, 02:49 AM
Originally posted by garciap77
That is how we cooked them in Okinawa, Japan back in the 80s when fajitas sold for 79 cents a pound. People from The Valley, San Antonio, and other parts of Texas loved them.:D

You were led horribly astray, my friend. You must leave the darkside and come into the light.:D

LE Dad
03-06-2010, 08:23 AM

dos equis green bottle
lime
sake

And don't forget the:http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd185/garciap77/3358507269_63d9b05fb7.jpg:D :D

garciap77
03-08-2010, 09:20 AM
You were led horribly astray, my friend. You must leave the darkside and come into the light.:D

http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-laughing025.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys.php)

http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-eatdrink020.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys.php)

SintonPirateFan
03-08-2010, 10:14 AM

i was in okinawa 2003-05

NEVER waste a good ribeye on fajitas. God created ribeyes to eat rare/medium rare as a 16 oz steak (or larger)

flank steak works just fine, if you grill it the right way. for our steaks/fajitas/chicken we use "Daddy Hinkle's". the original version. you'll never find anything better.

Daddy Hinkle's (http://daddyhinkles.com/) here's the link if your grocery store doesnt carry it.

garciap77
03-08-2010, 12:37 PM
Originally posted by SintonPirateFan
i was in okinawa 2003-05

NEVER waste a good ribeye on fajitas. God created ribeyes to eat rare/medium rare as a 16 oz steak (or larger)

flank steak works just fine, if you grill it the right way. for our steaks/fajitas/chicken we use "Daddy Hinkle's". the original version. you'll never find anything better.

Daddy Hinkle's (http://daddyhinkles.com/) here's the link if your grocery store doesnt carry it.

I was there 84 - 91! Did you ever try the KOBE Beef? That was the best (@ Kyoto Hotel, near four corners outside gate 2 in Kadena).

GreenMonster
03-08-2010, 01:20 PM
i was in okinawa 2003-05

I'll second the Daddy Hinkle's. Best marinade I have ever found, Has both a wet and dry marinade. I like to season the meat well with the dry then soak it in the fridge over night with the wet. Give it another shot of the dry right before tossing it on the grill. Best dang eatin' you have had in a while GUARANTEED!!!

SintonPirateFan
03-08-2010, 01:20 PM
I was there 84 - 91! Did you ever try the KOBE Beef? That was the best (@ Kyoto Hotel, near four corners outside gate 2 in Kadena).

nope, never ate there.. there was a couple of places like Four Seasons, the Capital, and Sam's by the Sea that we ate a lot for steak. and there was Yoshi Hachi for sushi.

garciap77
03-08-2010, 01:26 PM
nope, never ate there.. there was a couple of places like Four Seasons, the Capital, and Sam's by the Sea that we ate a lot for steak. and there was Yoshi Hachi for sushi.

I ate at Four Seasons and Sam's by the sea, but Kyote was by far the best for KOBE. I like the sushi and Sashimi Sushi with Kirin beer! Were you in the military?

SintonPirateFan
03-08-2010, 01:30 PM
I ate at Four Seasons and Sam's by the sea, but Kyote was by far the best for KOBE. I like the sushi and Sashimi Sushi with Kirin beer! Were you in the military?

i am in the military....for 63 more days and a wake up.

kirin was the best with sushi! was Koko's there when you were? the spicy curry place??

garciap77
03-08-2010, 01:40 PM

kirin was the best with sushi! was Koko's there when you were? the spicy curry place??

I don't think so! Where was Koko's located? What branch of the Militray?

garciap77
03-08-2010, 01:44 PM

I found this sign http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd185/garciap77/nggshow.jpg ! I don't think we had cocos back then!

SintonPirateFan
03-08-2010, 02:36 PM
I don't think so! Where was Koko's located? What branch of the Militray?

kokos was on that road between gate 1 and 2. i'm air force....F-15 avionics.

rangerjoe33
03-08-2010, 05:23 PM
CoCo's is good. I was in Oki last month for two weeks. We ate at Four Season's, the kobe beef was incredible. I am going back later in the year...I will have to try Kyoto

Kirin is good and was my favorite JPN beer prior to my visit to Oki. Now my favorite JPN beer is Orion hands down...

garciap77
03-08-2010, 05:28 PM
kokos was on that road between gate 1 and 2. i'm air force....F-15 avionics.

Are you a Tech School Instructor at Shepard AFB? I attended my Tech School there back in the day!

garciap77
03-08-2010, 05:31 PM
Originally posted by rangerjoe33
CoCo's is good. I was in Oki last month for two weeks. We ate at Four Season's, the kobe beef was incredible. I am going back later in the year...I will have to try Kyoto

Kirin is good and was my favorite JPN beer prior to my visit to Oki. Now my favorite JPN beer is Orion hands down...

I hope it is still there! If you make a right at the four conners. Then go about a block it it will be on the left side of the street.

SintonPirateFan
03-08-2010, 06:05 PM
Are you a Tech School Instructor at Shepard AFB? I attended my Tech School there back in the day!

yep, my last class graduates tomorrow!!!

garciap77
03-08-2010, 07:50 PM
yep, my last class graduates tomorrow!!!

Is Wilsons still open on base? Use to be a beer type joint on base for students! Back in the early 80s!

SintonPirateFan
03-09-2010, 07:13 AM
Is Wilsons still open on base? Use to be a beer type joint on base for students! Back in the early 80s!

not a chance. there's only one little spot on base where the students can even SMOKE now. only certain phases are allowed to drink, and its either at the shoppette or the airmans club.

garciap77
03-09-2010, 08:58 AM
not a chance. there's only one little spot on base where the students can even SMOKE now. only certain phases are allowed to drink, and its either at the shoppette or the airmans club.

Things have changed. Here in Dyess they can smoke just about anywhere. I hate it when the airmen decide to smoke right out side the entrance to our building. We have to keep running them off. Read in this morning paper that you had some gun problems at Shepard! :eek: :eek: :eek:

SintonPirateFan
03-09-2010, 11:18 AM
Things have changed. Here in Dyess they can smoke just about anywhere. I hate it when the airmen decide to smoke right out side the entrance to our building. We have to keep running them off. Read in this morning paper that you had some gun problems at Shepard! :eek: :eek: :eek:

yeah some dumb airman decided to buy a shotgun downtown and was showing it off walking around on base with it.

big daddy russ
03-09-2010, 04:21 PM
I'm a tried and true beef guy, think that any "fajita" with any other meat in it is actually just a really good taco.

But I'll still cook chicken and shrimp any day of the week.

There's a carniceria around the corner that has amazing skirt steaks. Those steaks are pre-seasoned with some amazing chile, so I'll throw those on plain.

I always use charcoal instead of wood for fajitas (well, any type of steak), so I'll light up a large pile and let it burn hot down to the coals. I always use a large pile to get it as hot as I can.

After the fire gets going, I'll close the lid and open all the vents while I wait for it to burn down. Usually take 20-25 minutes.

Half the steaks get marinated in a quarter inch deep beer (don't want to take off too much of the spices) for 12 hours and will get thrown on the fire topped with a cap full of worcestershire and and some honey BBQ sauce (HEB used to have this house brand called Texas Bold that was awesome, but they stopped making it and I've since switched to KC Masterpiece).

I don't spread the coals after they burn down. I just leave them in a pile in the middle of the pit and throw the meat around them. This will cook the inside more thoroughly and the outside less for those of us who like our meat a little rare.

Cook for 3-4 minutes (I'm guessing, don't really time it) on each side, adding BBQ and worcestershire to the other side when you flip it.

The plain ones just get a cap of worcestershire on each side and a cut of butter just before I take them off the pit.

Top however you like (I typically make some chile con carne, some guacamole, and some salsa to top off) and enjoy.

Oh, and the tortillas make the fajita. My wife usually makes ours, but when she's out of town or feeling lazy, I'll pick up some fresh-made tortillas from HEB or Kroger. I'm a flour guy, but HEB has some great corn tortillas, too.

If you want my chile con carne recipe, the best I've ever had (and the stuff I make) is simply Velveeta, Rotel spicy, and some browned Jimmy Dean sausage in a crock pot. Simple, but yummy.

Make two types of guac. First is just avocados, diced tomatoes and onions, salt, and ground pepper mixed and smashed together with a fork and squirted with lime.

Second is two avocados, a tablespoon of sour cream (roughly--I'm guesstimating here), a splash of half and half or milk, and jalapeno seeds (use seeds to your liking... they can light people up quick). Throw it in a blender, mix until it's a smoothie-like consistency, and it's ready.

Everyone has different recipes for salsa. Mine is just boiling the veggies (jalapenos, onions, tomatoes), throwing them in the food processor, adding some salt and cilantro, and serve warm.

SintonPirateFan
03-09-2010, 04:49 PM
on the subject of bbq sauces, if i'm not gonna make my own, our family's favorite is Stubb's (either original or mesquite)

and i saw a bbq sauce recipe the other day that had Dr Pepper in it! can't get more Texas than that.....i'm gonna have to try it this spring.

garciap77
03-09-2010, 05:13 PM
yeah some dumb airman decided to buy a shotgun downtown and was showing it off walking around on base with it.

http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-laughing024.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys.php)