PDA

View Full Version : West Texas getting domianted...

Matthew328
11-29-2001, 03:24 AM
Ok first off I am not from East Texas or West Texas...but man the numbers don't lie...the last 3A team from West Texas to win state was in 1978 with Brownwood (if you consider Brownwood West Texas)...if not then it was in 1968 with Lubbock Estacado...that is a LONG time..let's look at Region 1 since 1990..
1990: All West Texas teams were eliminated in the Reg Semis
1991: All West Texas teams were eliminated in the Reg Semis
1992: Carroll 61 Alpine 0 in the Reg 1 Championship
1993: Carroll 34 Perryton 3 in the Reg 1 Championship
1994: Atlanta 25 Abilene Wylie 0 in the state semi-finals
1995: Springtown 21 Ballinger 7 in the Reg 1 Championship
1996: Tatum 48 Friona 21 in the state semi-finals
1997: Aledo 45 Breckenridge 17 in the reg 1 Championship
1998: Aledo 21 Monahans 7 in the Division 1 state semi-finals
Daingerfield 21 Childress 10 in the Division 2 state semi-finals
1999: Texarkana Liberty-Eylau 46 Lamesa 16 in the Division 1 state semi-finals
Commerce 30 Crane 0 in the Division 2 state semi-finals
2000: Abilene Wylie 20 Everman 13 in the Division 1 state semi-finals
Forney 48 Muleshoe 17 in the Division 2 state semi-finals.....
So in reality Wylie last year was the ONLY time in the last 10 or so years a West Texas team advanced that far and beating a non West Texas team...folks in Class 3A the numbers just don't lie...West Texas gets dominated by not only East Texas but teams from DFW also

kaorder1999
11-29-2001, 09:15 AM
west texas just cant hang...different brand of ball in east texas and the dfw area!!!

Matthew328
11-29-2001, 09:37 AM
Here are some more numbers..since 1990 West Texas teams have a 17-34 record against Non-West Texas opponents in the playoffs..while East Texas teams have a 31-33-3 record against non-East Texas opponents....hmm makes you think a lil bit...now this is only for 3A..I am sure the Midland Lee's and Frenships' of the world have good records in 4A and 5A though

Da Mules
11-29-2001, 10:56 AM
You're right Matt328, but look at the big picture. Except for the larger towns, W TX population is declining. Lots of schools have be dropped down in classification and lots more to follow. For an excellent article from the Amarillo Globe on this subject, try http://panhandlesports.com/stories/082801/pig_sunset.shtml

Jacket2000
11-29-2001, 01:05 PM
It kinda goes in cycles. There was a time when it was just understood that the best football was played in West Texas. Then East Texas emerged, and now we're seeing regions III and IV bring some power to the table. Give it time, and West Texas will emerge, and fall again.
J2K

REBEL II
11-29-2001, 03:10 PM
State Champions From Central Texas

China Spring 1978? I think
Groesbeck
Gatesville
Lorena
Mart

Who am I missing?

Backwoods
11-29-2001, 03:54 PM
Da Mules. That is not entirely a valid reason. Newton is the EASTERN-most county in Texas. It is one of the smallest 3A schools, We will probably be 2A next year. We're still going, and look at the history. Tradition, fans and coaches as well as the material have a lot to do with it. Remember, it's not the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog. Or Eagles in our case. The only two teams to stop us this year have been two 4A schools that made the playoffs. Jasper is tearing everyone up in the playoffs. We may get beat, but our opponents will know we were there.

REBEL II
11-29-2001, 04:37 PM
State Champs from Central Texas:

Cameron
Mexia
LaGrange

whsfan
11-29-2001, 07:59 PM
Which area does Vernon belong in?
West Texas or North Texas

Da Mules
11-29-2001, 08:33 PM
Backwoods, last year Muleshoe (enrollment about 400) had an exceptional group. Every starter on the line was over 230 lbs, most about 270, three made all-state 1st or 2nd team. Middle linebacker made all-state 2nd team. Running back made all-state 2nd team. You don't often manage to get lucky to get 5 all-state caliber kids in a school this small. We had a total of 25 players on the varsity, and I believe about 70 players total in the high school program (these figures are approximate, I'm not a coach, and I didn't keep detailed records, obviously.) That exceptional bunch clobbered everybody they ran across until they got to Forney (enrollment about 710) in the state semi-finals. How many kids does Forney have in their football program?? I think about 70 varsity came running out of the tunnel at Texas Stadium. Forney did not beat Muleshoe because they are a BIGGER school;; they won because they had MORE GOOD PLAYERS. They had enough depth so their players didn't have to go both ways, also. You see very few 3A teams in West Texas that don't have most kids playing O&D. We had 5 exceptional kids, all of whom have gone to division II colleges. Forney had at least 3 who went (or will go) to Division I. My point is, and the point of the article is, the fewer kids you have to select from, the less likely it is you are gonna draw a slate full of blue-chippers. West Texas IS losing population, and that is one of two basic reasons for their decline; not lack of heart or fight or some different kind of football.

Backwoods
11-29-2001, 10:17 PM
Da Mules. Do not in any way think that I was knocking a program or holding one up over another. I am pointing out that the problem is not JUST in West Texas. There is a definite disparity in school sizes in the Classification. But, it is all over the state in rural areas away from the larger cities. And you probably agree that living in small town Texas is the best. Right now, we have to live with it whether we like it or not. Hopefully it will change. Until then, let's support the Mules and Eagles every time they hit the field, no matter how big the other team is.

Da Mules
11-30-2001, 08:37 PM
Nah Backwoods I'm not taking it that way or ragging on you. I'm just saying in general terms that rural W TX communities (i.e., 3A and down) are in decline, people are moving away, and they are moving to the larger W TX cities and to East Texas. GOd forbid, maybe even Oklahoma http://bbs.3adownlow.com/ubb/wink.gif

wildcat24
11-30-2001, 08:45 PM
I think you forgot about Vernon. It's almost in the panhandle, and I consider that West TX. The Lions won state in 1990, then for most of the early 90s the Southlake Carroll-Vernon game always decided the State Championship. After a couple of down years, they're finally back this year.

Matthew328
11-30-2001, 09:22 PM
I consider Vernon to be North Texas since it is around the Wichita Fallas area..also the I don't consider the Panhandle area to be West Texas, I usually think of it as its own Region