PDA

View Full Version : How to Enjoy Musical Movies

Phil C
03-04-2010, 02:23 PM
I have seen many people watch musical movies and get disgusted because they feel that the singing and dancing interferes with the action and plot. The thing is that is the way they are supposed to be. Many people have failed to enjoy the many great musicals because of that attitude and have failed to enjoy such great musicals as West Side Story, Oklahoma, South Pacific, The King and I, Meet Me in St. Louis, etc.
Many of these movies are shown on TCM and other channels and should be enjoyed.

The thing is you must remember when watching a musical is that they are made mainly for the singing and dancing and the plot and action are a distance secondary to the consideration. In fact they are not supposed to interfere with the singing and dancing but help bring it along.

By keeping in mind that it is the singing and dancing that is to mainly be enjoyed in musicals will open a whole new world of entertainment to you with this viewpoint.

Now the world of musicals is open to you with this understanding. Enjoy the musicals at the movies or on tv.

Trashman
03-06-2010, 09:34 AM
I get it Phil, but I would still rather watch paint dry than to watch a musical.:(

PhiI C
03-06-2010, 10:40 AM
Originally posted by Trashman
I get it Phil, but I would still rather watch paint dry than to watch a musical.:(

I understand. Some people don't like musicals and everyone has different tastes. Nothing wrong with that. What I was trying to get it was to help those that watch musicals have more enjoyment. Not everyone likes the same thing.

For example I like strawberries with cream but for some reason on rare occasions when I used to fish I found that the fish preferred worms instead if you can believe that. :)

Trashman
03-08-2010, 09:35 AM
Originally posted by PhiI C
I understand. Some people don't like musicals and everyone has different tastes. Nothing wrong with that. What I was trying to get it was to help those that watch musicals have more enjoyment. Not everyone likes the same thing.

For example I like strawberries with cream but for some reason on rare occasions when I used to fish I found that the fish preferred worms instead if you can believe that. :)

I think Sgt. Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band ruined it for me.............;)

Phil C
03-08-2010, 11:58 AM
Originally posted by Trashman
I think Sgt. Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band ruined it for me.............;)

Go to Youtube and on search type in West Side Story America and click on the 7.07 min version and see if you like it. I would post the link but sometimes reader comments ruin it. Enjoy!
The main ones in it George Charikis and Rita Morenoe (shown at the start together) both won deserved oscars - especially Rita. Enjoy! This is one great song indeed!

Phil C
03-29-2010, 02:26 PM
West Side Story will be on TCM on Sunday, April 11 at 2 P.M. Great news indeed!

MUSTANG69
03-29-2010, 02:55 PM
I watch The King and I every time it comes on TV.

People need to take the attitude some musicals are good and some are bad. Just like movies.

BullsFan
03-29-2010, 02:57 PM
Seven Brides for Seven Brothers and Singing in the Rain will always remain my favorite movie musicals, I think. But movie musicals don't hold a candle to live theater. If you've not seen a good production of Les Mis, you are surely missing out on something spectacular.

PhiI C
03-29-2010, 09:33 PM
Originally posted by MUSTANG69
I watch The King and I every time it comes on TV.

People need to take the attitude some musicals are good and some are bad. Just like movies.

The King and I, Seven Brides for Seven Brothers and Singing in the Rain along with Oklahoma and other great musicals are shown on TCM fairly regularly.

PhiI C
03-29-2010, 09:35 PM
Originally posted by BullsFan
Seven Brides for Seven Brothers and Singing in the Rain will always remain my favorite movie musicals, I think. But movie musicals don't hold a candle to live theater. If you've not seen a good production of Les Mis, you are surely missing out on something spectacular.

I just found out that Singing in the Rain will be on TCM on 4-13-10 at 11:30 P.M.

Russ Tamblyn was a great dancer and acrobat and he played one of the brothers (Gideon) in Seven Brides for Seven Brothers as well as Riff in the musical West Side Story.

Green Bling
04-01-2010, 01:12 PM
Glad you added Singing in the Rain , Phil! It has been a fav of mine since I was little. Just love that schaltzy stuff. Gene Kelly was da man! When asked what we wanted to sing in Sunday School I once requested "Buttons and Bows" from the Bob Hope and Jane Russell movie The Paleface.
Was a trouble maker at an early age.
I also like the resent musicals as well. Just love the score from Chicago!!

Phil C
04-02-2010, 10:55 AM
Originally posted by Green Bling
Glad you added Singing in the Rain , Phil! It has been a fav of mine since I was little. Just love that schaltzy stuff. Gene Kelly was da man! When asked what we wanted to sing in Sunday School I once requested "Buttons and Bows" from the Bob Hope and Jane Russell movie The Paleface.
Was a trouble maker at an early age.
I also like the resent musicals as well. Just love the score from Chicago!!

Green Singing in the Rain is also scheduled on TCM on April 25th at 7 P.M. I always recommend that everyone double check your local tv guide to be sure that the time hasn't been changed or another movie substitued. That has happened to me before but fortunately it is rare.
Singing in the Rain is a great movie with a great cast led by Gene Kelly, Donald O'Connor and Debbie Reynolds. A young Cyd Charisse appears as a dancer as well as a young Rita Moreno in the role of Zelda. Rita was to win an oscar later for West Side Story.
Jean Hagen as Lina was nominated in a once in a lifetime role for best supporting actress and she is fantastic and in my opinion should have won or at least tied for the oscar.

Enjoy!

IHStangFan
04-02-2010, 06:38 PM
LOL!!!!!

BullsFan
04-03-2010, 03:14 AM
Originally posted by Phil C
Jean Hagen as Lina was nominated in a once in a lifetime role for best supporting actress and she is fantastic and in my opinion should have won or at least tied for the oscar.

YES! It's a wonderful cast, and perfect for their roles, but Lina really brings something to the movie without which it WOULD not be the same. I love the scene at the end where she's lipsynching to Debbie Reynolds and the guys pull the curtain up. Love it!

Thanks for bringing all this up! I'm definitely going to have to record it.

Phil C
04-08-2010, 10:12 PM
Originally posted by Phil C
West Side Story will be on TCM on Sunday, April 11 at 2 P.M. Great news indeed!

Don't Forget!

Phil C
04-09-2010, 03:41 PM
If you watch West Side Story this coming Sunday because to remember that the music, singing and dancing take priority in these type of movies over the plot and action. That is why they are called musicals.

bobcat4life
04-11-2010, 11:12 PM
Grease STILL sucks worse than Jamie Jungers