PDA

View Full Version : Baylor's Griner ejected after punching opponent

lakers
03-03-2010, 11:45 PM
Video of the Punch (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWQPnshT6KI)

LUBBOCK, Texas -- Baylor freshman Brittney Griner was ejected from a game against Texas Tech after she punched an opposing player in the face.

Texas Tech's Jordan Barncastle fouled Griner with No. 14 Baylor up 55-39 with 9:01 remaining in the game Wednesday night. As the Tech player was moving away from Griner, the Lady Bears' standout swung and landed a punch on Barncastle's face.

The game was stopped for about 10 minutes as officials reviewed tape. A technical foul was called on Griner and she was ejected for a flagrant foul and another technical was called on another Baylor player, Morgan Medlock.

The Texas Tech bench also got a technical for going out onto the court after the punch was thrown.

Copyright 2010 by The Associated Press

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncw/news/story?id=4963605

Yoe_09
03-03-2010, 11:49 PM
totally uncalled for but it was a good punch

Daddy D 11
03-03-2010, 11:52 PM
lol she cracks me up

she's an animal

shouldn't have thrown a punch, but that girl shouldn't have slung her either

That girl for tech when the game was here in waco was throwing a fit the entire game (i was there). She kept pushing Griner around and was complaining to her coach/teammates/refs about how she can't guard her, true story. I could hear what she was saying because I was in the third row. Sounds to me like she just knew she was over matched and snapped? Then Griner let her know what's up!

Daddy D 11
03-03-2010, 11:54 PM
stuff like this needs to happen more often lol in all sports and ways of life. that way people wouldn't run their mouths as much

if people knew that others would knock em in the face, they wouldn't act like idiots all the time then hide behind the refs/rules when it gets real serious and they're in danger

eagles_victory
03-04-2010, 12:01 AM
As much as I like to see a member of the MM mafia get punched it was unnecessary and Griner shouldn't play again this season.

Txbroadcaster
03-04-2010, 04:55 AM
Originally posted by Daddy D 11
stuff like this needs to happen more often lol in all sports and ways of life. that way people wouldn't run their mouths as much

if people knew that others would knock em in the face, they wouldn't act like idiots all the time then hide behind the refs/rules when it gets real serious and they're in danger

So you want people to act like idiots to stop other people from acting like idiots?

Red Bull
03-04-2010, 09:14 AM
Daddy you are too funny! Haven't you ever heard two wrongs don't make a right? What Griner did has absolutely no place in sports, mens or womens. Just ask Rudy T (former Rockets coach and player) what a senseless punch like this can do. It can change a person's life forever. To condone this type of behavior is just crazy talk. Griner will have to learn to deal with play like this against her just like other freakishly large players have had to (Shaq). Here's to hoping Baylor steps up and disciplines her correctly so the Big XII and NCAA don't have to. Remember what Oregon did to that RB Blount that punched the Boise St player after the game last season.

Gobbler Fan
03-04-2010, 09:17 AM
She needs to work on her form ...when she threw that right hand haymaker she dropped her left , setting up a possible counter punch right hook .

sahen
03-04-2010, 12:59 PM
i thought it was kinda funny esp after the beating that girl takes every game it seems...however, you can't go punching people in the face regardless of sport (boxing and mma excluded) so she will get punished...im guessing the last game of the regular season and the big 12 tourney she will be out but we will see what happens, Mulkey is pretty hard on her girls so she may take her out the rest of the year...kinda sad for the team though they were finally starting to get it together at the end of the year...

sahen
03-04-2010, 01:00 PM
Originally posted by Gobbler Fan
She needs to work on her form ...when she threw that right hand haymaker she dropped her left , setting up a possible counter punch right hook .

when you 6'8" and fighting someone that is 6'2" i dont think you have to worry as much about a counter punch considering the girl would prolly have to jump to punch her in the face...keeping your hands low may be a good strategy to ward off the body shots

NateDawg39
03-04-2010, 01:06 PM
I was not impressed with her form or the punch.

Isn't that what this thread is about?

coach
03-04-2010, 01:07 PM
wow....i dont care how hard you get fouled. you should never throw a punch like that. and she wasn't even fouled hard...if there was a punch thrown everytime a big man gets thrown around in the paint like that then there would be an ejection almost every game.

STAggie
03-04-2010, 01:44 PM
To me this just makes Griner look like a prima donna and a sore sport. If I was an opposing coach that is exactly how I would tell my posts to play her. She is 6 inches taller than most people on the court, I would do whatever I needed to make sure she didn't get the ball. To me she should be suspended for the rest of the year.

turbostud
03-04-2010, 09:33 PM
Griner gets 2 game suspension.
Link (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncw/news/story?id=4966163)

eagles_victory
03-04-2010, 10:55 PM
2 games is way too light she shouldn't play at the very least until the NCAA's.

PhiI C
03-04-2010, 11:07 PM
Boys will be boys - No wait!!

:eek:

Red Bull
03-05-2010, 08:38 AM
I agree 2 games is not enough, but it surely doesn't surprise me that this is all she got. Oh well, I guess you just have to remember it is girls basketball and move on.

Phil C
03-05-2010, 09:12 AM
Originally posted by Red Bull
I agree 2 games is not enough, but it surely doesn't surprise me that this is all she got. Oh well, I guess you just have to remember it is girls basketball and move on.

It sure does pale in comparison to what that Oregon football player got doesn't it Red?

Ex-Tiger2005
03-05-2010, 09:28 AM
Originally posted by Phil C
It sure does pale in comparison to what that Oregon football player got doesn't it Red?

This is exactlly what i was thinking last nite. Blount got suspended 3/4 of his senior year. And you slap a 2 game suspension on the same kind of a punch!!! :eek:

icu812
03-05-2010, 10:59 AM
Originally posted by eagles_victory
As much as I like to see a member of the MM mafia get punched it was unnecessary and Griner shouldn't play again this season.

I wonder if coach Barncastle was in the stands to see it. I was at their house a little over a year ago. Seemed nice enough. MM mafia....:D

icu812
03-05-2010, 11:04 AM
American Statesman
Martin’s Mill girls basketball coach Doug Barncastle received word late Wednesday night that his daughter, who plays for the Texas Tech basketball team, was punched in the face by Baylor freshman Brittney Griner during a game in Lubbock.

Jordan Barncastle suffered a broken nose in the scuffle, her father said today, and her playing status for the rest of the season was uncertain. The coach learned about the incident in a text while his team was en route to Austin for the UIL girls state tournament.

“It’s unfortunate,” Barncastle said of the punch. “I don’t think this is a bright spot in women’s basketball.”

Martin’s Mill won its state semifinal, defeating Muenster 54-51 in overtime. The Lady Mustangs will play Smyer on Saturday for the Class A, Division I state championship.

Before heading to Texas Tech, Jordan Barncastle led Martin’s Mill to state championships in 2006 and 2008.

Bullaholic
03-05-2010, 11:18 AM
Degrees of "punches":

1. Hitting someone.
2. Hitting someone in the face while they are looking.
3. Hitting someone in the face when they are not looking.
4. Hitting someone in the face when they are not looking and drawing blood.
5. Hitting someone in the face when they are not looking, breaking something, and drawing blood.

This was a category "5" hit and should have been punished accordingly.

sahen
03-05-2010, 12:28 PM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
Degrees of "punches":

1. Hitting someone.
2. Hitting someone in the face while they are looking.
3. Hitting someone in the face when they are not looking.
4. Hitting someone in the face when they are not looking and drawing blood.
5. Hitting someone in the face when they are not looking, breaking something, and drawing blood.

This was a category "5" hit and should have been punished accordingly.

unless if i saw the video wrong (cant rewatch it at work) but she hit the chick while she was looking at her...she stepped right in front of her and punched her...not that it matters but im pretty sure the girl saw it coming, i'd imagine she was shocked that it was gonna happen and just froze...

and 2 game suspension is actually more than the precedent for this...ok state had a chick bball player a year or so back punch out a girl and she got suspended one game (their last regular season game) then when she came back in teh big 12 tourney and played she punched out another girl in that game...ncaa then suspended her from the tourney but since the cowgirls didnt make it that year she didnt have to serve any suspension...tech had a girl get in a fight w/ candace parker a while back too, shockingly punching in girls basketball appears to be more common than in guys...

Txbroadcaster
03-05-2010, 12:32 PM
Originally posted by sahen
unless if i saw the video wrong (cant rewatch it at work) but she hit the chick while she was looking at her...she stepped right in front of her and punched her...not that it matters but im pretty sure the girl saw it coming, i'd imagine she was shocked that it was gonna happen and just froze...

and 2 game suspension is actually more than the precedent for this...ok state had a chick bball player a year or so back punch out a girl and she got suspended one game (their last regular season game) then when she came back in teh big 12 tourney and played she punched out another girl in that game...ncaa then suspended her from the tourney but since the cowgirls didnt make it that year she didnt have to serve any suspension...tech had a girl get in a fight w/ candace parker a while back too, shockingly punching in girls basketball appears to be more common than in guys...

she did not step in front of her, she swung from the side and the girl she hit never saw it coming except prob a fist flying at her in the last second

Footballhudini
03-05-2010, 02:29 PM
hard foul does not equal fist into face tbh

rojosgirl
03-09-2010, 12:50 PM
And they say basketball is not a "contact sport". HA! :rolleyes:

Twirling Time
03-09-2010, 01:06 PM
Originally posted by Ex-Tiger2005
This is exactlly what i was thinking last nite. Blount got suspended 3/4 of his senior year. And you slap a 2 game suspension on the same kind of a punch!!! :eek:

Not the same kind of a punch. Two totally different situations.

What Griner did happened on the floor in the heat of the moment. That's a factor that has to be considered.

Blount sucker-punched a lineman after the game was over while the two teams were walking off the field. A totally gutless chickens--- move.

DDBooger
03-09-2010, 01:10 PM
Originally posted by Twirling Time

Blount sucker-punched a lineman after the game was over while the two teams were walking off the field. A totally gutless chickens--- move. If you're gonna talk ---- and then touch the guy expect to be hit in a majority of instances.

NastySlot
03-09-2010, 01:18 PM
Originally posted by Twirling Time
Not the same kind of a punch. Two totally different situations.

What Griner did happened on the floor in the heat of the moment. That's a factor that has to be considered.

Blount sucker-punched a lineman after the game was over while the two teams were walking off the field. A totally gutless chickens--- move.

wait is blount the kid from oregon?....that wasn't a sucker punch...the kid said something to him and was dumb enough to say whatever it was and get close enough to be punched.

not saying the punch was the right thing to do...but if you re going to talk smack....whata you think is going to happen in the heat of the moment.

coach
03-09-2010, 03:13 PM
blount got suspended 3/4 of the year bc of what he did after he hit the kid. also he already got in trouble early in his career at oregon

eagles_victory
03-09-2010, 03:19 PM
Blounts punch had to be more justifed then this he just got his arse handed to him and got hit on the shoulder pad and got trash talked. Griner was winning in a blow out not sure why she was so frustrated.

big daddy russ
03-09-2010, 03:48 PM
What a thug game.

GetRDoneStangs
03-09-2010, 06:21 PM
It doesn't matter if it was the "heat of the moment" hit the video shows she went after the Tech player.....

2 games is not enough......maybe be the Big 12 Tourny...don't know....she needs more than 2 games to think about it and Coach Big Hair can get her under control.

My 2 bits and no more.

ronwx5x
03-09-2010, 06:26 PM
What would the penalty have been if the girl she hit were from some school other that Tech?:confused: :stirpot: :stirpot:

BullsFan
03-09-2010, 06:34 PM
The Tech girl pulled a pretty low move too. I know it's not the same thing, and I'm not justifying the punch, but two games seems like an appropriate punishment to me.

bandera7
03-09-2010, 07:06 PM
I feel like if she wasnt the "youtube dunking girl" she would be out a lot longer than 2 games.

eagles_victory
03-09-2010, 08:12 PM
Originally posted by BullsFan
The Tech girl pulled a pretty low move too. I know it's not the same thing, and I'm not justifying the punch, but two games seems like an appropriate punishment to me. That happens all the time fighting for position in basketball the girl is 6'8 and you are guarding her with a 6'3 girl getting physical with her is all you can do. When your a 6'8 stick like Griner is thats how people are going to cover you for 4 years better get some thicker skin.

sahen
03-09-2010, 09:05 PM
Originally posted by bandera7
I feel like if she wasnt the "youtube dunking girl" she would be out a lot longer than 2 games.

actually her being the youtube girl dunking is making this more into a big deal than what it is...a girl from okie state did the same thing a couple years ago except she hit a girl after she kinda taunted her...the ncaa gave her one game (per the rules) and she missed the last game of the season....the next game she played was the first big 12 tourney game and she hit another girl in that game...ncaa suspended her from the ncaa tourney that time but since okie state didnt make it then it didnt matter and she never had to serve another suspension for it....ncaa rules is one game, baylor went beyond w/ 2 games if she wasn't the youtube girl then we wouldnt have even heard of this as fighting in the women's game is much more common than people think, its rare but it happens...

Griner shouldnt have hit her but all these people wanting to punish her beyond what other players that have done the same thing and worse than what she did is borderline crazy...

eagles_victory
03-09-2010, 09:22 PM
Originally posted by sahen
actually her being the youtube girl dunking is making this more into a big deal than what it is...a girl from okie state did the same thing a couple years ago except she hit a girl after she kinda taunted her...the ncaa gave her one game (per the rules) and she missed the last game of the season....the next game she played was the first big 12 tourney game and she hit another girl in that game...ncaa suspended her from the ncaa tourney that time but since okie state didnt make it then it didnt matter and she never had to serve another suspension for it....ncaa rules is one game, baylor went beyond w/ 2 games if she wasn't the youtube girl then we wouldnt have even heard of this as fighting in the women's game is much more common than people think, its rare but it happens...

Griner shouldnt have hit her but all these people wanting to punish her beyond what other players that have done the same thing and worse than what she did is borderline crazy... The Oklahoma St girl should of been suspended more two wrongs don't make a Wright State

BullsFan
03-09-2010, 11:59 PM
Originally posted by eagles_victory
That happens all the time fighting for position in basketball the girl is 6'8 and you are guarding her with a 6'3 girl getting physical with her is all you can do. When your a 6'8 stick like Griner is thats how people are going to cover you for 4 years better get some thicker skin.

So if you're 5" taller than the girl guarding you then expect to get low blows and fouls all the time and just take it? Nah. If the only thing the Tech girl could do to guard her is pull that kind of stunt, maybe Tech girl doesn't belong in college ball.

bandera7
03-10-2010, 12:03 AM
I dont think the Tech girl is justified, however, I do feel like any athlete that punches another in a game should get a longer suspension that 2 games. Of course, circumstances and individual situations change that up. But the Griner situation was her taking it way too far.