PDA

View Full Version : Sean Payton drinks wine reserved for Jerry Jones at Combine....funny...

kaorder1999
03-01-2010, 01:51 PM
On Friday night, the Saints' staff at the combine gathered in a private room at St. Elmo Steakhouse, an 108-year-old Indy landmark, for a final celebratory nod to the Super Bowl win over the Colts. This is a group that likes its wine, and likes to have fun.

At the restaurant, word passed that Dallas owner Jerry Jones would have his Dallas group in this exact room Saturday night for a team dinner. Jones had even phoned ahead, according to a waiter, to make sure a magnum of a wine he loved, Caymus Special Selection cabernet sauvignon, was ready to be served at dinner.

Sean Payton told the waiter he'd like to have that wine, too. The waiter told him: Sorry, sir. We have only one bottle left, and it's reserved for Mr. Jones.

Payton said he'd like to have the bottle nonetheless. I assume there was much angst on the part of the wait staff at that point. My God! Who do we piss off? One of the most powerful owners in the NFL, or the coach who's the toast of the NFL, the coach who just won the Super Bowl?

Here came the bottle of Caymus Special Selection, and the Saints' party drained it.

But drinking Jones' wine wasn't enough. Payton gave the waiter some instructions, took out his pen ... and, well, the Cowboys party found at the middle of their table the next evening an empty magnum of Caymus Special Selection cabernet sauvignon, with these words hand-written on the fancy label:

WHO DAT!
World Champions XLIV
Sean Payton

ccmom
03-01-2010, 01:55 PM
Hilarious! :clap: :clap:

Ex-Tiger2005
03-01-2010, 02:22 PM
Originally posted by kaorder1999
On Friday night, the Saints' staff at the combine gathered in a private room at St. Elmo Steakhouse, an 108-year-old Indy landmark, for a final celebratory nod to the Super Bowl win over the Colts. This is a group that likes its wine, and likes to have fun.

At the restaurant, word passed that Dallas owner Jerry Jones would have his Dallas group in this exact room Saturday night for a team dinner. Jones had even phoned ahead, according to a waiter, to make sure a magnum of a wine he loved, Caymus Special Selection cabernet sauvignon, was ready to be served at dinner.

Sean Payton told the waiter he'd like to have that wine, too. The waiter told him: Sorry, sir. We have only one bottle left, and it's reserved for Mr. Jones.

Payton said he'd like to have the bottle nonetheless. I assume there was much angst on the part of the wait staff at that point. My God! Who do we piss off? One of the most powerful owners in the NFL, or the coach who's the toast of the NFL, the coach who just won the Super Bowl?

Here came the bottle of Caymus Special Selection, and the Saints' party drained it.

But drinking Jones' wine wasn't enough. Payton gave the waiter some instructions, took out his pen ... and, well, the Cowboys party found at the middle of their table the next evening an empty magnum of Caymus Special Selection cabernet sauvignon, with these words hand-written on the fancy label:

WHO DAT!
World Champions XLIV
Sean Payton

I love the Cowboys but finally someone who has the man region to stand toe to toe with jerry jones.

waterboy
03-01-2010, 02:55 PM
Maybe Payton was still a little miffed about the Cowboys whooping 'em down in "Whodat" country........:devil: That's cold........just plain cold........hahahahaha....:D

emacppbcat4life
03-02-2010, 11:50 AM
i dont believe any of this, what 5 star resteraunt only has one bottle of the finest wine left? also thats not the type of man sean payton is...remember his first game with the saints against the cowboys who were headed by bill parcels...he took a knee in the red zone 4 times to give the ball back and his respect to the cowboys and his former head coach. i know payton didnt do something so arrogant as to drink jerry's wine and write a letter to the staff.

turbostud
03-02-2010, 11:52 AM
Originally posted by emacppbcat4life
i dont believe any of this, what 5 star resteraunt only has one bottle of the finest wine left? also thats not the type of man sean payton is...remember his first game with the saints against the cowboys who were headed by bill parcels...he took a knee in the red zone 4 times to give the ball back and his respect to the cowboys and his former head coach. i know payton didnt do something so arrogant as to drink jerry's wine and write a letter to the staff.

I dont believe it either. I searched yesterday for a link for the story and couldnt find it. Mike and Mike were talking about it this morning on their show so they must believe it or found a link.

jason
03-02-2010, 11:58 AM
it was on pti yesterday too...

turbostud
03-02-2010, 12:00 PM
Originally posted by jason
it was on pti yesterday too...

Yea there is a link now at dallasnews.com. What makes me believe it is fake is that when I did a search for it yesterday after this thread was started there was nothing. That leads me to believe it started as some stupid email that gets passed around. But who knows. If it is true, its classic.

crzyjournalist03
03-02-2010, 12:03 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/peter_king/02/28/combine/index.html

TinyTim
03-02-2010, 12:13 PM
I loved this story! But more than the story, I love that wine!!