PDA

View Full Version : Liberty Eylau vs Van Region 2 Boys Qtr Finals

LE Dad
03-01-2010, 10:58 AM
Tonight 6:30 Texas A&M- Commerce Fieldhouse

This should be a contrast in styles. Van, from what I am told, runs alot of half court sets and looks for the open shots. Plays a smart defense and just doesn't make many mistakes. LE is up and down the court, pressure D and drive to the basket O. Should make for an exciting matchup.

Winner returns to Commerce for region tourney on Friday.

icu812
03-01-2010, 01:26 PM
You got some correct info. Van plays tough half court man d and runs a flex offense. Van will try to fundamental you to death. If Van can handle LE's pressure they have a chance against what will most likely be a bigger, stronger, faster LE team. New Boston tried to pressure Van and it rattled Van's shooters a little for a half. Second half Van solved NB's half court pressure and then the layup drill started when NB decided to apply full court pressure. Last time these two teams played a playoff game it was a buzzer beater by LE that won the game.

LE Dad
03-01-2010, 01:46 PM
This one may be much the same LE will play 10 kids. Our point is a little unique in that he is 210 brute who can drop down and post up, shoot the 3, or drive to the hoop. LE has 3 good 3pt shooters and 2 OK big men. They all run the floor #20 and #4 (point) are the kids to watch and after that it can be any # of kids that step up on a particular night.
I hope that both teams play their best, and it is an injury free game.

LE Dad
03-01-2010, 08:42 PM
LE up 76-56
with 4 min to play

SHSBulldog00
03-01-2010, 08:44 PM
Go LE!!

LE Dad
03-01-2010, 08:57 PM
LE 82 Van 62
Great game by Van, congrtulations on a great season... Hope we meet again soon, Van is one of the classy programs that I enjoy meeting.

Tra Carson poured in 29 from the point, James Montue added 18 from the post, and Marquez Clark put 15 in from all over to lead the LEopards to victory. I think the defense set the tone and made the difference. LE will be back in action Friday night in the region tourney.:clap: :clap:

ccmom
03-01-2010, 09:04 PM
Congrats to the Leopards!!!

LE Dad
03-01-2010, 09:58 PM
Now I may have a busy weekend. I will miss Thursdays girls game but should they win...
Friday night @ 6 in Commerce to watch boys semis...then...travel on down to Waco...then.
Saturday @10AM Girls SC game...then...
If boys won Friday night try to
make back to Commerce for Reg Finals.
...then...rest.:D

Could be fun.:clap: :clap:

icu812
03-02-2010, 10:36 AM
Great game by LE! Just to physical a game for this Vandal team. That is one big point guard!! Van started strong and were up by 7 or so in the 1st then a big run by LE to tie it at the end of the quarter. LE just kept pulling away a little at a time after that. Good luck to LE the rest of the way.

ronwx5x
03-02-2010, 11:14 AM
Sounds like LE has a heck of a team, and they are not ranked? LE Dad, what is their record so far?

LE Dad
03-02-2010, 11:42 AM
Originally posted by ronwx5x
Sounds like LE has a heck of a team, and they are not ranked? LE Dad, what is their record so far? The Leopards entered the season with alot of sore ankles from football, a new coach, and at the start of district had a top player move away, LE is 20-9 and has a good team. We will see how good Friday night when they play Ranchview, and if they survive that Saturday against, more than likely Madison. I hope they can make a run at it, but that is a rough 2 games.

icu812
03-02-2010, 12:07 PM
I haven't seen Ranchview play but I have seen Prosper play and they got destroyed by Madison. Prosper had a very good team. I hope LE gets to play Madison that would be a fun game to watch no matter the outcome. Reg. II is tough.

LE Dad
03-02-2010, 12:28 PM
Originally posted by icu812
I haven't seen Ranchview play but I have seen Prosper play and they got destroyed by Madison. Prosper had a very good team. I hope LE gets to play Madison that would be a fun game to watch no matter the outcome. Reg. II is tough. I agree it would be a blast win or lose.

icu812
03-02-2010, 04:53 PM
From tylerpaper.com

Wills Point, Van Fall In Playoffs
By TRAVIS YOESTING
Staff Writer

COMMERCE — In a gym usually home to the Lions, it was a different breed of cat — the Leopards — that ruled the night.
The Liberty-Eylau Leopards used their offensive prowess to outgun Van 82-62 and the Lucas Lovejoy Leopards dominated on defense to close out Wills Point 41-28 in a pair of Class 3A Region II regional quarterfinals at The Field House at Texas A&M-Commerce on Monday.

L-E (21-9) advances to face either Argyle or Carrollton Ranchview while Lovejoy (27-7) moves on to face Dallas Madison. Both games are part of the Region II semifinals at Texas A&M-Commerce on Friday at 6 and 8 p.m., respectively.
The District 14-3A champion Vandals end their season 24-10 while the 14-3A runners-up Tigers end their season 24-10.

In the first game of the evening, Tra Carson scored almost at will for L-E, pouring in 27 points while grabbing seven boards and two steals.
Post James Montue added 18 points, seven rebounds and five steals and guard Marquez Clark chipped in 15 points and four steals for L-E.
The Leopards’ pressure defense began to get to the Vandals in the second quarter, shortly after Van’s Zach Ghormley picked up his second and third fouls one second apart.

Defense sparked a 22-7 run that gave L-E a 42-28 lead with 1:45 to play in the first half. The Leopards went into the break up 46-35 despite the fact that the Vandals shot 72 percent from the field.

LE continued to increase its lead in the third quarter with a 10-0 run after Ghormley scored the half’s first two points for Van. The Leopards led by as many as 24 in the fourth quarter and forced 22 turnovers while committing 10.
The Vandals led for most of the first quarter and by as many as six.
Jordan Schmid scored 17 of his 19 before halftime. Ghormley also finished with 19, all but five coming in the second half.

In the nightcap, Lovejoy defenders blocked half of Wills Point’s first 10 shots. The Tigers made just two field goals in the first half to trail the Leopards 20-11 at the break.

Wills Point mounted a rally in the third quarter, pulling to within five twice with less than three minutes to play in the frame. But as they did in the first and second quarters, the Leopards stifled the Tigers offense in the fourth quarter to hold on for the win.

Nick Victor led the Leopards with 13 points, 12 rebounds and four steals. Teammate Joseph Gonzalez added 10 points, six boards and four blocks.
Josh Boyd had a team-high seven points for Wills Point and Steven Cunigan put up six points and six rebounds. Trent Jurica was a boost off the bench with six points, seven boards and three steals while teammate Junior Hamilton had four blocks.
———
Class 3A Region II
Regional Quarterfinals
At Texas A&M-Commerce
Liberty-Eylau 82, Van 62
Liberty-Eylau 17 29 21 16 — 82
Van 17 18 11 15 — 62
LIBERTY-EYLAU — Alex Watson, 3; Tevin Wilson, 5; Tra Carson, 27; James Montue, 18; Marquez Clark, 15; Trey Norman, 4; Taerus Maxwell, 2; Malcom Edmund, 8. FG: 36-71. FT: 7-11.
VAN — Travis Hand, 3; Zach Ghormley, 19; Jordan Schmid, 19; Shane Hilton, 2; Scott Walthall, 2; Colby Rucker, 8; Forrest McFarlin, 9. FG: 21-42. FT: 18-22.
THREE POINT GOALS — V (2-6): Ghormley, Schmid. LE (3-19): Wilson, Carson, Clark.
RECORDS — Van 24-10; Liberty-Eylau 21-9.
NEXT UP — Liberty-Eylau vs. Argyle-Carrollton Farmers Branch Ranchview, 6 p.m. Friday, Texas A&M-Commerce.
———
Lucas Lovejoy 41, Wills Point 28
Wills Point 5 6 12 5 — 28
Lovejoy 9 11 11 10 — 41
WILLS POINT — Clay Deen, 1; Marquis Burch, 2; Trent Jurica, 6; Darryn York, 3; Josh Boyd, 7; Junior Hamilton, 3; Steven Cunigan, 6. FG: 9-41. FT: 10-19.
LOVEJOY — Kaleb Culbertson, 6; Nick Victor, 13; Kealyn Oliphant, 9; Joseph Gonzalez, 10; Chase Anderson, 3. FG: 15-44. FT: 10-18.
THREE POINT GOALS — WP (0-7). LL (1-7): Victor.
RECORDS — Wills Point 24-10; Lovejoy 27-7.
NEXT UP — Winner vs. Madison, 8 p.m. Friday, Texas A&M-Commerce.