PDA

View Full Version : Thrilling victory

LE Dad
02-28-2010, 02:33 PM
From Texarkana Gazette

5'5" Freshman Alize Pegue took an outlet pass from freshman Sharde Collins and drove the length of the court to bank in a left handed layup with 3 seconds remaining. The score earned the Lady Leopards a 61-60 victory over Kennedale and the schools third trip in seven years to the state tournament in Austin.
The game winner climaxed possibly the most unbelievable finishes to an LE game. It was definitely the most emotional for coah Robert Cochran, who lost his voice during the second half.
LE trailed 59-52 when Collins scored with 48 seconds left to play. Freshman Imani Wright picked up a losse ball on an inbounds pass and converted a 3 point play in the same motion to make it 59-57.
Kennedale converted 1of2 FT with 21 seconds left. Kennedale fouled Wright 7 seconds later and she converted both shots to make it a 1 point game. Kennedale was guickly fouled and missed the front end of a 1 and 1. Collins grabbed the rebound and passed to Pegue to set off a wild celebration by LE supporters.
Pegues game winner was her only score of the game and put her 1 point above her season average
"I am so proud of my freshman" boasted a teary eyed senior Skylar Robertson, who lead all scorers with 20 points.
Cochran was barely able to whisper after the game."Alize read the situation and executed... We've been to state twice before, but I have never been happier than I am for these 5 seniors."
Former LE standout and current assistant Jamila Ganter said "I played on some great teams at LE, but I honestly believe this is the best overall team we've had at the school. I've cried twice in this gym, today, and when we won here in 2002."