PDA

View Full Version : Region 3 Picks and Analysis

Matthew328
02-16-2003, 10:21 PM
Waco LaVega (16-12) vs Caldwell (17-10)
LaVega is a bit down this year...but I still think they have enough to get past Caldwell...Matt's pick: WACO LAVEGA

Groesbeck (21-10) vs Diboll
The Goats are a sleeper pick in Region 3...they are very athletic, finished second in 19-3A to Mexia who is a state contender..I don't think Diboll will stay in this one long...Matt's pick: GROESBECK

Hardin-Jefferson (28-3) vs Clev. Tarkington (23-8)
Record wise one of the better matchups in the state in bi-district..BUT H-J has played a lot of tough competition while Tarkington especially in non-district feasted on weak teams...Josh Williams is a stud and will lead the Hawks to a relatively easy win...Matt's pick: HARDIN-JEFFERSON

Navasota (18-13) vs Elgin (14-18)
I think the Rattlers roll...their record doesn't indicate it but Navasota will be a tough out in Region 3...they have some guards that can flat out go...I think they win by 15+ Matt's pick: NAVASOTA

Gatesville (18-13) vs Cameron Yoe (18-8)
Gatesville started out looking like a potential 17-3A champ but faltered late...Yoe is led by Roderick Knight and Billy Pittman..sound familar? This time Knight is the main man and Pittman is the sidekick...I like the Yoeman..Matt's pick: CAMERON YOE

Crockett vs Lufkin Hudson (18-14)
I can't pick a 3A school that doesn't play football..what is going on at that school?? No football???? J2K would have me shot if I picked those guys..I nominate J2K as Hudson's new AD...until then I will not pick them..Matt's pick: CROCKETT

Hardin (24-8) vs Barbers Hill (21-8)
Another good matchup here..Barbers Hill is one of 3 teams to beat Hardin-Jefferson..in that game the Eagles controlled tempo..if they can do that they may go a long way..but Hardin is athletic and can get up and down..I think the tempo favors the Hornets...Matt's pick: HARDIN

Sealy (21-10) vs Smithville (18-12)
Sealy is one of the better 3rd place teams in the state...they are a lot better than some district champs..Smithville well I give em credit for year in and year out fielding a pretty good basketball team..now if we could just get that in another sort..ohhh well...Matt's pick: SEALY

Recap
Waco LaVega
Groesbeck
Hardin-Jefferson
Navasota
Cameron Yoe
Crockett
Hardin
Sealy

Jacket2000
02-16-2003, 11:25 PM
Ok,let's move a little south, Region 3.

Waco LaVega (16-12) vs Caldwell (17-10)
LaVega is a thump thump power(and y'all thought I didnt know anything about this "sport), Caldwell is weak in everything. So, I'll go with LV.

Groesbeck (21-10) vs Diboll
I got pulled over for speeding in Groesbeck once and he let me go. So, I'll go with the Goats.

Hardin-Jefferson (28-3) vs Clev. Tarkington (23-8)
Awww, hell, I dunno. Ennie, minnie, miny, moe....I'll go with HJ.

Navasota (18-13) vs Elgin (14-18)
I got sick of hearing about Elgin during football season and they folded like a piece of paper. So, I'll go woth Navasota.

Gatesville (18-13) vs Cameron Yoe (18-8)
Lemmie pull out my trusty coin again. Heads Yoe, Tails G'ville. It's heads, I'll go with G'vile.

Crockett vs Lufkin Hudson (18-14)
Lufkin Hudson? Who the hell is that? Is that the junior high you go to before you go to Lufkin High School? Gotta go with Crockett.

Hardin (24-8) vs Barbers Hill (21-8)
Lord knows I get sick of hearing about Barbers Hill during football season, and they always seem to choke in the 2nd round. So, I figure they'll get there in pumpkinball too. My pick:BH

Sealy (21-10) vs Smithville (18-12)
Well,judging from the Smithville posters on our board, I dont think they can read and write, much less play defense. So, I gotta go with Sealy.

J2K

c-town_balla
02-17-2003, 07:06 PM
It doesn't really matter to me but Pittman ain't the sidekick

Also this same thing happend last year were we played the same people in the play-offs...China Springs

RBARKER
02-18-2003, 05:08 PM
Thanks for the pick Jacket, I guess. BH has a good coach this year but they were thrown into a hard portion of the bracket, if they get pass Hardin they will most likely face Hempstead then the winner of that will most likely play Kountze. Oh yeah, Go BH football 2003 :D

mistanice
02-18-2003, 11:40 PM
well mathew, i didnt go to the game, but diboll did lose by 1 point, dont know if they stayed in it too long thought :p "didnt look like it"

Swarm 51
02-19-2003, 02:01 AM
Gatesville was in the race for 17AAA until about three weeks ago when they lost their go-to player. He was a terrific player, scored 41 points in a game against Robinson and was definitely needed in the district race. Just wasn't in the cards for the Hornets this year.

RBARKER
02-19-2003, 09:27 AM
BH makes it first second round appearance in B-Ball since 1978. Knocking off Hardin by 2 points late in the game. Congrates Eagles