PDA

View Full Version : We have a projection on the top 16 prospects-lets start on some of the others

Old Cardinal
12-27-2002, 02:09 PM
Could we get some projections on the following: Kennedale, Wills Point, Newton, Liberty Hill, Canyon, Navasota, Barbers Hill, Aransas Pass, Port Isabel, Coldspring, Orangefield, Cleveland, New Boston, Snyder, A. Wylie, Hamshire-Fannett

<small>[ December 27, 2002, 01:17 PM: Message edited by: Old Cardinal ]</small>

Keith7
12-27-2002, 02:13 PM
Gainesville (even though u didnt ask, i know you secretly care) will be experienced on offense but a young defense will have to step up.. my projection is that they will be totally awesome

Old Cardinal
12-27-2002, 02:15 PM
Keith, I didn't include your team because you had already given us a report. What were the win-loss records for your JV and 9th grade?

<small>[ December 27, 2002, 01:16 PM: Message edited by: Old Cardinal ]</small>

Keith7
12-27-2002, 02:33 PM
Gainesville J.V. was 10-0 beating teams like South Lake Carrol's JV and Denton Ryan's JV.. we had alot of freshman on the JV..
and the Freshmen were 8-2 i think.. losing to Witchita Falls Hirshi and Bonham's freshman teams early in the season.. so G-ville looks posative in the future.. We'll need them to fill in holes in our defense

PPHSfan
12-27-2002, 03:14 PM
Funny how you think that the final 16 from this year are the Top Prospects for next season. The wonderful thing about Highschool Football, is the teams change every year. I will concede that the final 16 teams are worthy of recognition. But I do not agree that they are automatic TOP PROSPECTS for next year. :D

Keith7
12-27-2002, 03:19 PM
PPHSfan:
Funny how you think that the final 16 from this year are the Top Prospects for next season. The wonderful thing about Highschool Football, is the teams change every year. I will concede that the final 16 teams are worthy of recognition. But I do not agree that they are automatic TOP PROSPECTS for next year. :D Your just mad cuz he didnt ask about Pilot Point

PPHSfan
12-27-2002, 03:26 PM
Keith7:

PPHSfan:
Funny how you think that the final 16 from this year are the Top Prospects for next season. The wonderful thing about Highschool Football, is the teams change every year. I will concede that the final 16 teams are worthy of recognition. But I do not agree that they are automatic TOP PROSPECTS for next year. :D Your just mad cuz he didnt ask about Pilot Point.
No I am not. I couldn't care less what Old Cardinal thinks of my teams chances. Old Cardinals team will need the next 22 years in a row of playoff appearances and a couple of State Championships, and my team will have to lay down and play dead for a quarter of a century, before he can even "JUMP START" the tradition we have down here. :D

Old Cardinal
12-27-2002, 05:05 PM
PPHS, I listed the 16 as the top prospects because of their record-probably a bad choice of words. I think most of the people want to know what to expect from the 3 round playoff teams. I then started listing some other teams that folks seem to always feel are viable candidates. Please tell us about Pilot Point-we would be glad to hear....PP: You are trying to live in the past off other peoples accomplishments, maybe YOUR team needs to be thrown into a good solid 4A District and let you take some knocks-it might settle you down a bit..

PPHSfan
12-27-2002, 05:12 PM
Old Cardinal:
PPHS, I listed the 16 as the top prospects because of their record-probably a bad choice of words. I think most of the people want to know what to expect from the 3 round playoff teams. I then started listing some other teams that folks seem to always feel are viable candidates. Please tell us about Pilot Point-we would be glad to hear....PP: You are trying to live in the past off other peoples accomplishments, maybe YOUR team needs to be thrown into a good solid 4A District and let you take some knocks-it might settle you down a bit..Well seeing as how I graduated in 1981, I don't know what you mean about living off of others accomplishments. And seeing as how we did pretty well our First year in 3A I don't know what you mean about being thrown in somewhere solid and taking knocks. But if you really want to know how Pilot Point will do next year, I can only say, that we will do like we have for the past quarter of a century....We will make the playoffs and go between one and six games deep. :D

I mean, why start a new tradition...if it aint broke, don't fix it :p

rholl
12-27-2002, 05:26 PM
WHy would throwing Pilot Point into a 4a district help with anything....geez why don't ya just go ahead and throw them into 5a and forget enrollment or anything like that. 1st game on Pilot Points schedule next yr....defending state champs SLC!! Yea that sounds good!!

Keith7
12-27-2002, 05:35 PM
rholl:
WHy would throwing Pilot Point into a 4a district help with anything....geez why don't ya just go ahead and throw them into 5a and forget enrollment or anything like that. 1st game on Pilot Points schedule next yr....defending state champs SLC!! Yea that sounds good!!I bet they cant beat them 30-0 like Gainesville did

PPHSfan
12-27-2002, 05:44 PM
rholl:
WHy would throwing Pilot Point into a 4a district help with anything....geez why don't ya just go ahead and throw them into 5a and forget enrollment or anything like that. 1st game on Pilot Points schedule next yr....defending state champs SLC!! Yea that sounds good!!That wouldn't really be fair now would it.

I mean we have played SLC six times and the record is as follows

Pilot Point 6, SLC 0,

Pilot Point PF 198 PA 35

:p :p :p

<small>[ December 27, 2002, 04:45 PM: Message edited by: PPHSfan ]</small>

Old Cardinal
12-27-2002, 06:09 PM
To PPHS, Excuse me, I assumed you were a kid--I looked at your record in 3A....You beat Aubrey a 2A ranked #162; you over timed a Sanger 3a team ranked #126 with a 3-7 record; played Lake Dallas ranked #124, 3-8 record, Whiteboro 3A 0-5 in District ranked #171, Potsboro ranked #82 and you beat them 7-0; Van Alstyre 1-4 in District ranked # 128 You lost the rest...I was just popping off about 4A, after looking at your record in 3A, maybe, just maybe, your reign of terror is over: we will just have to see. I really don't have a thing against the Pilot Point program, but quite blabbing about tradition and try to win some games, ole buddy. You are not in a 2A setting as the big dog any more, and it is hard to adjust.

Keith7
12-27-2002, 06:21 PM
really
what you did 20 years ago isnt gonna help you now.. esp. against Gainesville

TarponFanInNorthTexas
12-27-2002, 06:30 PM
Boy, this thread went downhill REAL fast.....thanks to Keith and his "Gainesville is GOD" mentality.

Anyhow, you asked about Port Isabel, so i'll tell you.

Port Isabel returns 8 offensive starters and 8 defensive starters from a 9-3 regional semi-finalist team.

On offense, almost all of the offensive line is back with the exception of Center. A very good candidate for that position is upcoming junior Billy Zimmerman. Although he is not that big, he is very quick and agile. At TE, upcoming senior Abel Delgadillo is the most likely candidate to replace the graduating Kevin Kallus. He has good size, (6'1, 225) and great blocking ability. Now, since 32-3A district MVP RB Joey Loera is graduating, there are a couple of possible scenarios as to who the Tarpons RB will be next season. One, current FB Johnny Nieto may be moved to HB to replace Loera, and returning OLB Josue Trejo may be put in at FB. The OTHER scenario, and this is the one I like, Nieto will remain at FB, and upcomind senior Misael Iracheta, Port Isabel's speedster, will be moved from WR to RB. Should that occur, a good candidate to replace Iracheta at WR will be upcoming junior Orlando Ochoa. He has great height (6'2, 190), and substituted in at the WR position on a regular basis last season. The backfield tandem of QB Alvarez, RB Iracheta, and FB Nieto (should that scenario occur) will be considered one of the fastest, if not, THE fastest backfield Port Isabel has ever fielded, and will be a great one to watch.

On defense. The entire secondary returns, which should help Port Isabel against the passing game. Two key losses to graduation are the two big DTs Jeffery Martinez, and Mundo Reyes. However, hard hitting MLB Frank Herrera does return to help shore up the run defense. The other player lost to graduation is OLB Dante Delgadillo. As far as likely candidates to replace the three who are departing, i'm still not sure. (isn't it obvious I pay more attention to offense than I do defense?) However, the players that will be coming in from an undefeated JV team will most likely get the job done.

On special teams, all skill position starters return. All-State Punter Orlando Ochoa, K Erick Martinez, and current WRs Joe Arevalo and "Missle" Iracheta will handle the kickoff and punt returns for the Tarpons.

All said, it should be a very memorable season in 2003 for Port Isabel's Tarpons. I'm very much looking forward to it. :D

PPHSfan
12-27-2002, 07:15 PM
Keith and Old Cardinal, you don't understand, its not what PP did 20 years ago, it is what PP has done for the last 25 years. You can say what you want about this season, or last season, or whatever season you wish to pick. But the fact is plain and simple and cannot be argued. Pilot Point has been a consistent winner for the past quarter of a century. There is not one single losing season in the past 25 years. There have been trips to the playoffs for 23 of the past 25 years. And there have been state championships won, and district championships won in double digits. That my friends is not living in the past, that is simply building year after year on tradition, and I challenge you to find any sane person on this board to disagree with that.

Would you like me to go back and look at the past 25 years of Gainesville and Bridge City?

No State Championships for either team in Football.

15 Playoff appearances for Gainesville, and 3 for Bridge City.

And I looked at your easy schedule this season too Old Cardinal, but I will not stoop to your level and mention all of the teams below the ranking of 70 that you played.

You tell me to win some games?

I say to you my friend, in the past 25 years we have won hundreds of games. Would you like to compare records?

Did you know there is not a team on the planet that has played PP more than three games, that has a winning record against us? I would love for you to tell me how many teams can say that. My guess is maybe one. But I know how you love to do research, so I will throw down the challenge :D :D

Keith7
12-27-2002, 07:25 PM
2 state finalist though.. and 4 NFL players.. how many NFL players have Pilot Point ever had??
And 3 years from now we'll see if anyone who has played pilot point more then 3 times still dont have a winning record against yall..

<small>[ December 27, 2002, 06:29 PM: Message edited by: Keith7 ]</small>

PPHSfan
12-27-2002, 07:29 PM
LOL Keith, you are too much.

PPHSfan
12-27-2002, 07:31 PM
Oh and I also want to go on record that none of this started until Old Cardinal took that cheap shot at me on the other thread. I have never been one to get into an argument over how good or bad a team was. My record speaks for itself.

<small>[ December 27, 2002, 06:32 PM: Message edited by: PPHSfan ]</small>

Keith7
12-27-2002, 07:33 PM
PPHSfan:
LOL Keith, you are too much.Looks like I win.. Gainesville tradition rules

Old Cardinal
12-27-2002, 08:28 PM
Tarpon: Sounds like your program is one of the few that is totally loaded starting next year. Most of the good ones are having to rely on their sub-varsity feed program to give strength and depth. I will be watching, as well as others, to see what develops for you next year. Who will be your first big challenge, Aransas Pass?

TarponFanInNorthTexas
12-27-2002, 08:51 PM
Old Cardinal:
Who will be your first big challenge, Aransas Pass?I'm not real sure about Aransas Pass. I know they're losing some big boys, including their STUD RB Tommy Blake. Someone you may want to ask about Aransas Pass is Big Daddy Russ. He's from that area and is very familiar with the teams out of district 30.

Actually, Port Isabel's first real good challenge will come during the regular season in district play, when they face the Raymondville Bearkats. They are returning some very good athletes (QB Tommy Wolfe is one to keep an eye out for) but they aren't going to be nearly as deep as Port Isabel will be.

As far as playoffs are concerned, Orange Grove out of district 31 will be one to keep an eye on, but most likely, they will win their district which means PI wouldn't play them until the quarterfinal round (if OG makes it that far) instead of bi-district.

I think Port Isabel's first playoff challenge might come in the form of CC West Oso out of district 30 in the area round. From what I have been told by big daddy russ, they are an incredibly talented team. Their big drawback is that they are severely lacking in the discipline department which hinders their team totally.

After that, Port Isabel should encounter their BIGGEST challenge in the 3rd round. Rice Consolidated. They are returning the same number of players as Port Isabel, and both Rice and Port Isabel will be considered the two fastest teams out of Region 4. It will be a pretty safe bet that whoever wins that game, wins the region.

Then of course, there is the state semi-finals, and then the state title game......and of course, those will be the biggest challenges Port Isabel will encounter, IF they get past their other big challenges.

<small>[ December 27, 2002, 08:00 PM: Message edited by: TarponFanInNorthTexas ]</small>

big daddy russ
12-28-2002, 02:46 AM
Aransas Pass loses several Division I prospects. FB Tommy Blake (Colorado, TCU, Vanderbilt, Arkansas), FS Tyler Ogle (Princeton) and QB John David Heard (Sam Houston, SWT). Also, they lose two huge parts of the offensive line. 6-4, 300# Tackle Josh Cavallin and 6-3, 270# Center Tony Byrnes (could probably play D-II) are gone. Byrnes' younger brother, Andrew, can step in and will be more than ready to take over his brothers' post, but there's nobody out there with Cavallin's size. TJ Sanchez, who started at tackle as a freshman this year, also returns. TEs... 6-3 Robert Scheibe and former All-district pick Eric Schibi are gone. WRs were all seniors except speedster Paul Robles and Nathan Watson. QB is a toss-up... FB will probably be taken over by senior Myron Brown. Brown is an absolute super athlete and has the ability to be the best running back in the district. Started at corner his sophomore year, but couldn't play this year due to UIL restrictions (nothing bad... moved out of the district and didn't come back before deadline). RB Corey Hale (755 yards in 2002) returns and could combine with Brown to give AP two 1,000-yard rushers. They are probably two of the top six running backs in all of 30-3A. Both are seniors. On defense, almost the entire line returns. DE Polito Palma is an absolute stud. LB George Alvarado (only a soph in '02) is the only one that returns, but he was probably the best one the team had last year. The guys in the box should be stout. Secondary will return junior-to-be Paul Robles and safety Lucas Davila. Both are solid, especially Robles, but some newcomers are going to have to step up. Brown could return to his spot at corner, where he started as a sophomore, or he could possibly move over to LB depending on where he's needed. Another name to listen for will be Nathan Watson. About 5-10, 185... can play as either a defensive back or a linebacker and has a year under his belt. The team has a few attitude problems it needs to work out.

A very underrated defense (on this board at least) gets back many of its studs, minus CB Ernie Mora, FS Tyler Ogle and LB Jon Lopez. Should be replaceable. Only teams AP gave up more than 21 against were Rockport-Fulton, Wharton and Sinton. Not a bad slate of teams. Defense improved greatly from start of year, and wound up being a huge asset at the end of the season (the defense actually played a big part in holding Port Isabel to 20, not just Blake's ball control). Offense will suffer, namely wideouts. Robles will have to step up and take over where Ernie Mora left off. QB was also a big hit, probably the biggest hit on the offensive side of the ball. Team will miss Tommy, but Brown will 'wow' a whole lot of people. Brown should be a cinch for first team All-district, and could even be considered a very early frontrunner for District MVP or Offensive Player of the Year. Line will again have some good size. Team will be faster. Robles runs a 4.5 (could be a 4.4 by next season???), Brown probably runs the same. Put down Hale at a 4.6 by the start of next season, Watson is probably also in that range. Alvarado, Davila and several others in the 4.7-range. Team has talent, but the offense will probably take a while to gel. A lot of discipline would take all that raw talent a long ways.

big daddy russ
12-28-2002, 02:58 AM
BTW, next year's Aransas Pass team WON'T be as good as this year's squad. The talent on this team was amazing, I don't care what anyone says. Three D-I prospects and about three or four more who could play D-II, that just doesn't happen at too many 3A schools. They'll have a much harder time with Port Isabel. Also, Taft will be good. They return a slew of kids and they're amazingly QUICK, every bit as much as Orange Grove. Almost all of their skill kids are probably 4.6's-4.7's, but when you put five of those on the field at once that's a pretty fast team. I'm not saying they'll make the playoffs (it's a tough district), but they have as good a shot as anyone.

BigRed01
12-29-2002, 08:16 PM
PPHSfan:
Keith and Old Cardinal, you don't understand, its not what PP did 20 years ago, it is what PP has done for the last 25 years. You can say what you want about this season, or last season, or whatever season you wish to pick. But the fact is plain and simple and cannot be argued. Pilot Point has been a consistent winner for the past quarter of a century. There is not one single losing season in the past 25 years. There have been trips to the playoffs for 23 of the past 25 years. And there have been state championships won, and district championships won in double digits. That my friends is not living in the past, that is simply building year after year on tradition, and I challenge you to find any sane person on this board to disagree with that.

Would you like me to go back and look at the past 25 years of Gainesville and Bridge City?

No State Championships for either team in Football.

15 Playoff appearances for Gainesville, and 3 for Bridge City.

And I looked at your easy schedule this season too Old Cardinal, but I will not stoop to your level and mention all of the teams below the ranking of 70 that you played.

You tell me to win some games?

I say to you my friend, in the past 25 years we have won hundreds of games. Would you like to compare records?

Did you know there is not a team on the planet that has played PP more than three games, that has a winning record against us? I would love for you to tell me how many teams can say that. My guess is maybe one. But I know how you love to do research, so I will throw down the challenge :D :D Bridge City has won a state championship, and Bridge City did it in 3a football, when it was actually equilvilant to 4A football. I am sure Pilot Point has had good years. However, let me bring this to your attention. Most schools on the low end of the enrollment do have tougher times making the playoffs. There are the exceptions like Newton. However, most do. Pilot Point has been on the upper end of the enrollment figures, but now they have a tougher road to hoe. Don't knock other's when you've never walked in their shoes. :D

PPHSfan
12-29-2002, 08:39 PM
Big Red,

I promise I am not knocking anyone, I was only answering Old Cardinal, and really didn't mean to insult anyone. By the way, I would have to say that over the past 25 year period, PP has been on both ends of the enrollment spectrum and has always managed to find a way into post season play. None of this discussion would have taken place if it were not for Old Cardinal turning a silly Region thread into a personal thread by trying to insinuate that my beloved bearcats were nothing more than a "one and done" playoff team on another thread.

<small>[ December 29, 2002, 07:39 PM: Message edited by: PPHSfan ]</small>

Old Cardinal
12-29-2002, 11:06 PM
PPHS, I am ready to call a truce with you. I only popped you one because you had been on my case for several months on here...Good luck to your team, when you are on the bottom end of either 3A or 4A it is difficult to have the talent to win consistantly. Bridge City stayed competitive, except for a few years, against PNG, WOS, Nederland, Jasper,TJ, Lincoln, etc; yet they were always at the low end of enrollment. It will be harder to do in 3A for PP: what you are accustomed to doing as a large enrollment 2A. Best of luck next season, but don't get down on the kids playing next season-they have a harder row to hoe now that there in 3A enrollment, and your bragging rights might possibly become lessened.

Wildcat2004
12-31-2002, 04:17 PM
Kennedale- Will return 6 on offense and i think 6 on defense. We've had a few move-ins. The JV went 8-2 and freshmen went 7-2, but the 8th grade went 9-0 and the defense did not allow a touchdown the whole season! the 8th grade class is very salty.
Kennedale will be just fine next year.

ilovetheKats
12-31-2002, 11:19 PM
Kennedale is definitely going to lose some great players (Srs.) but they're keeping a lot of great - high impact Jrs. and Sophs. They brought up several sophs. at the end of the season who really had an impact.

Folks said this year's team wouldn't be as good as last year's - I think they were better, even though their playoff season was shorter. Congrats to Ballinger (hey ~ I wasn't signed up to post to congratulate them in a timely manner!)

"They're" sayin' the same thing about next year's team, and I'm sayin they're gonna be wrong again!

I'm really lookin' forward to next year's freshman team - they ought to take care of the District!

Kennedale Wildcats - gotta love 'em! :)