PDA

View Full Version : Discretion Better Part of Valor? (Olympics)

Bullaholic
02-25-2010, 02:30 PM
The pilot of the Dutch 4-man bobsled decided to withdraw from further competition because he was afraid of an accident. He has the right, but was his decision correct? Tough call here.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/SPORT/02/25/olympics.bobsled.driver.quits/index.html?hpt=C1

BILLYFRED0000
02-25-2010, 02:46 PM
For him it was. If you lose the edge don't push the envelope.

Bullaholic
02-25-2010, 03:07 PM
Originally posted by BILLYFRED0000
For him it was. If you lose the edge don't push the envelope.

For him--I agree, but when you have 3 other team members who have worked long and hard for a chance at an Olympic medal, it makes me feel for them.

BullsFan
02-25-2010, 03:08 PM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
For him--I agree, but when you have 3 other team members who have worked long and hard for a chance at an Olympic medal, it makes me feel for them.

I think I read somewhere this morning that one of the top teams had their bobsled get away from them, and the anchor person ended sliding a looooong long way on the ice. Given what happened to the luger earlier in the Games, I'm not sure I'd take a chance. I don't know that I'd trust the track.

Bullaholic
02-25-2010, 03:12 PM
Originally posted by BullsFan
I think I read somewhere this morning that one of the top teams had their bobsled get away from them, and the anchor person ended sliding a looooong long way on the ice. Given what happened to the luger earlier in the Games, I'm not sure I'd take a chance. I don't know that I'd trust the track.

I think the pilot stated that it was not the track, but rather his loss of confidence and fear that caused him to withdraw, BullsFan.

waterboy
02-25-2010, 04:26 PM
Does the Olympic Committee allow an alternate? I thought each team was allowed an alternate in case of injury or extenuating circumstances.

Withdrawing is an individual's prerogative. If he has lost his "edge" and wants to avoid a possible catastrophic injury or death, he has every right to. I don't have any qualms about his withdrawing, although, it does affect the other members of his team.

BullsFan
02-25-2010, 05:17 PM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
I think the pilot stated that it was not the track, but rather his loss of confidence and fear that caused him to withdraw, BullsFan.

Ooooh. In that case, I wonder what happened...