PDA

View Full Version : Should we be surprised....

Ranger Mom
02-25-2010, 08:35 AM
when a KILLER whale kills??

ivchris
02-25-2010, 08:46 AM
my shocked face. :eek:

SWMustang
02-25-2010, 08:48 AM
nope - this is not a tragedy.

Old Dog
02-25-2010, 08:48 AM
especially with the history of that particuliar whale!

Ranger Mom
02-25-2010, 08:49 AM
My opinion is if you try to keep a wild animal in captivity, don't be surprised when they snap.

This latest incident was not the first for this whale........GET A CLUE!!!

It even depresses me to go to a zoo.....I would rather go to a wild life refuge. At least they aren't caged....just locked behind a really big fence in a really big yard!!

3afan
02-25-2010, 08:51 AM
sad but not at all shocking

crzyjournalist03
02-25-2010, 09:43 AM
Killer whale is generally a misnomer.

They're actually dolphins, but they're as large as whales, and their teeth make them look intimidating. Generally speaking, they're far less dangerous than the name would insinuate.

But in any breed of any animal, there are always a few exceptions, and the real tragedy is the fact that nobody took action the first few times this particular one acted up.

Johnny Utah
02-25-2010, 10:04 AM
Killer whales are a member of the dolphin family, mammals with teeth in the Order Odonticeti!! They are carnivores and therefore they are apt to kill.

Ranger Mom
02-25-2010, 10:26 AM
Originally posted by crzyjournalist03
Killer whale is generally a misnomer.

They're actually dolphins, but they're as large as whales, and their teeth make them look intimidating. Generally speaking, they're far less dangerous than the name would insinuate.

But in any breed of any animal, there are always a few exceptions, and the real tragedy is the fact that nobody took action the first few times this particular one acted up.

So what kind of "action" should one take?

Supposedly when he killed the first trainer in Canada and Sea World got him, is was with the understanding that he would be used for breeding purposes only.

Originally posted by Johnny Utah
Killer whales are a member of the dolphin family, mammals with teeth in the Order Odonticeti!! They are carnivores and therefore they are apt to kill.

Part of their eating habits are eating seals by jumping out of the water to the bank to get them while they are sunning themselves. If I was a trainer, I darn sure wouldn't be wearing a black wetsuit.....looks too much like "bait."

Mine would be neon green, pink and orange with flashing lights or something!!!

crzyjournalist03
02-25-2010, 10:33 AM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
So what kind of "action" should one take?

Supposedly when he killed the first trainer in Canada and Sea World got him, is was with the understanding that he would be used for breeding purposes only!

Well, a start would be by operating under the understanding that you had when you acquired it rather than using it in shows.

nationalpastime
02-25-2010, 10:53 AM
nobody's surprised whenever chuck norris kills someone

LE Dad
02-25-2010, 10:54 AM
I saw this animal back in 04. I am looking thru pics to see if that was the same trainer. If it is I actually have a pic of her and my daughter in very close proximity of that animal.:eek: :eek:
Very concerning. I wonder if they will quit bringing kids up for contact with the whales now?:thinking:

crzyjournalist03
02-25-2010, 11:01 AM
Originally posted by LE Dad
I saw this animal back in 04. I am looking thru pics to see if that was the same trainer. If it is I actually have a pic of her and my daughter in very close proximity of that animal.:eek: :eek:
Very concerning. I wonder if they will quit bringing kids up for contact with the whales now?:thinking:

I doubt it...I know this probably sounds harsh, but it's the first death in a decade at a park that has three locations in the US with several shows daily. It doesn't seem any more dangerous than riding a roller coaster or getting on an airplane. There are risks people take every day, and I don't think that the park should have to adjust its policies due to one really bad incident. Give it a couple of months, and this will blow over and nobody will remember.

But change the program, or don't let people near the animals anymore, and people will remember it forever. I have a feeling Sea World would rather let this get swept under the rug than the keep it in the minds of visitors for a long time moving forward.

GreenMonster
02-25-2010, 11:01 AM
Well, I read that she actually died of drowning not from any physical harm the Orca caused by biting her. It was also stated in the article that they were unsure if the animal was actually attacking or attempting to play. I think it's sad, but the trainer knew the risks and loved her job anyways.

crzyjournalist03
02-25-2010, 11:04 AM
Originally posted by GreenMonster
Well, I read that she actually died of drowning not from any physical harm the Orca caused by biting her. It was also stated in the article that they were unsure if the animal was actually attacking or attempting to play. I think it's sad, but the trainer knew the risks and loved her job anyways.

:iagree: Not saying there shouldn't be an investigation, but there's still a long way to go before we start worrying about the dangers of oversized dolphins.

nationalpastime
02-25-2010, 11:06 AM
i'm sorry about making the chuck norris comment. i didn't realize the seriousness of the post.

GreenMonster
02-25-2010, 11:10 AM
Originally posted by nationalpastime
i'm sorry about making the chuck norris comment. i didn't realize the seriousness of the post. It's OK, Brad McCoy will hand down the sanctions against you later today.