PDA

View Full Version : Curling - Athletes?

Pick6
02-24-2010, 09:36 AM
It's head to head competition with no judges determining the winner.

bobcat4life
02-24-2010, 09:40 AM
its still more like a hobby than a sport IMO

Phil C
02-24-2010, 09:53 AM
They add sports like this and walk-a-thons and are even thinking of adding pole dancing. They subtract real sports like baseball and softball on the whims of the Europeans.

Next thing you know they will be adding "whispering."

SHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! :)

Farmersfan
02-24-2010, 10:01 AM
Originally posted by Phil C
They add sports like this and walk-a-thons and are even thinking of adding pole dancing. They subtract real sports like baseball and softball on the whims of the Europeans.

Next thing you know they will be adding "whispering."

SHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! :)

I think curling is a sport! If you have ever had more than one of those curling irons going at one time it gets very dangerous and the timing required to get the curl just right is amazing and takes years of practice. I once tried it and my curls were limp and unmanagageable. I swore to never disrespect the professionals again!

pancho villa
02-24-2010, 10:04 AM
It is a more of a sport than baseball or cheerleading.

SintonPirateFan
02-24-2010, 10:09 AM
Originally posted by Farmersfan
I think curling is a sport! If you have ever had more than one of those curling irons going at one time it gets very dangerous and the timing required to get the curl just right is amazing and takes years of practice. I once tried it and my curls were limp and unmanagageable. I swore to never disrespect the professionals again!

this sounds like a shampoo commercial.

jason
02-24-2010, 10:10 AM
they may not be as athletic as figure skaters or gymnasts, but curling is more of a sport than figure skating or gymnastics....

Green Bling
02-24-2010, 11:29 AM
I was determined to understand this sport during this Olympics, and I've really gotten into the matches. I think it would be fun to be in a "Wed. Night Curling Club" that they keep talking about.

Bearkat
02-24-2010, 11:33 AM
Originally posted by Pick6
It's head to head competition with no judges determining the winner.

So are children's games like Jacks and Marbles, but we don't call those sports.

Bearkat
02-24-2010, 11:38 AM
Originally posted by pancho villa
It is a more of a sport than baseball or cheerleading.

Cheerleading is not a sport. It's an activity that goes on at a sporting event; or can be classified as a competition.

How many times have you asked someone if they played a sport while in high school, and they responded, "yes, I played cheerleading." NEVER!!! They respond with, "no, I was a cheerleader." Cheerleaders can be classified as athletes because it takes someone with athletic talent to perform, but the actual event of cheering is not a sport!!!

Old Tiger
02-24-2010, 11:43 AM
Women's curling is amazing!

http://www.tmz.com/2010/02/24/curling-girls-are-heating-up-vancouver/

Black_Magic
02-24-2010, 11:55 AM
Originally posted by bobcat4life
its still more like a hobby than a sport IMO Kinda like Golf.. Takes about the same amount of effort and ability but those guys scrubbing the ice tend to exert more effort than the golfers do.

pancho villa
02-24-2010, 12:15 PM
Any numnut can stand in the field and say "hum babe"

Gobbler Fan
02-24-2010, 12:33 PM
But sometimes they and throw a ...swing batta batta swing in there . Its all about multitasking :D

Phantom Stang
02-24-2010, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by Farmersfan
:fnypost:

coach
02-24-2010, 01:15 PM
Originally posted by Old Tiger
Women's curling is amazing!

http://www.tmz.com/2010/02/24/curling-girls-are-heating-up-vancouver/

casey the girl on the right is licking her lips at me :eek:

cotulla
02-24-2010, 02:52 PM
as a canadian told me last night... NO sport. if you can hold a beer in one hand and participate at the same time. NOT a sport!

SintonPirateFan
02-24-2010, 02:53 PM
that one swiss curler last night was pretty good lookin.

STANG RED
02-24-2010, 03:59 PM
Ever curled one into a full 360 in the bottom of a toilet bowl? Now thats some impressive curling.:D

Black_Magic
02-25-2010, 10:43 AM
Originally posted by STANG RED
Ever curled one into a full 360 in the bottom of a toilet bowl? Now thats some impressive curling.:D Good Gawd!:dispntd:

turbostud
02-25-2010, 11:04 AM
Curling reminds me of Bocci Ball. Give me some beer and 80 degree weather and I can play all day.

turbostud
02-25-2010, 11:05 AM
Originally posted by STANG RED
Ever curled one into a full 360 in the bottom of a toilet bowl? Now thats some impressive curling.:D

:eek: :eek:

crzyjournalist03
02-25-2010, 11:05 AM
Originally posted by turbostud
Curling reminds me of Bocci Ball. Give me some beer and 80 degree weather and I can play all day.

except that in the instance of Curling, your game wouldn't last long at all if it were 80 degrees outside. :p

turbostud
02-25-2010, 11:06 AM
Originally posted by crzyjournalist03
except that in the instance of Curling, your game wouldn't last long at all if it were 80 degrees outside. :p

True, and I wouldnt need a cooler for my beer. :D