PDA

View Full Version : Burnet 35 Marlin 6

Hazben
09-26-2003, 10:30 PM
WOW i thought marlin would do much better!

<small>[ September 26, 2003, 10:32 PM: Message edited by: Hazben ]</small>

therealbulldogs
09-26-2003, 10:41 PM
Go 25-3A!

Chris Hart
09-26-2003, 10:48 PM
Burnet dominated from start to finish tonight. The Marlin defense is pretty dern good, but the green Dawgs were able to put up 35. Marlin scored late, when the Burnet 2nd string QB fumbled in the backfield and it was scooped up and ran all the way back for the score. Marlin then went for two points and were denied. Shipley only caught 1 TD tonight, the Marlin defenders were all over him. Sometimes good coverage, but at others just simply holding him by whatever they could grasp. The Burnet defense pitched a shutout tonight, the Burnet defense was AWESOME! The offense was out of sync all night, but hey it's a win and we'll take it. Way to go Burnet! :)

Hazben
09-26-2003, 10:49 PM
jordan ... who ..i heard warner was the highlight of the game Chris is this true?

29x281
09-26-2003, 10:59 PM
Jordan was clearly a focal point for the Marlin defense, and the fact that he had 91 yds and a TD against double and triple team coverage by pretty dang good athletes says alot about Jordan's ability.

Cody was very good.

The defense was as good as I've seen.

The Guru
09-26-2003, 11:01 PM
Warner did what he has to do when teams are going to put 2 and 3 guys on Shipley, and McGee did a great job of getting him the ball.

HotDawg89
09-26-2003, 11:22 PM
I agree that the offense was out of sync tonight. It just seemed like they couldn't get it together. When the OL was good, the passes weren't so great, when the passes were good, there were receivers with butterfingers...but like Chris said, a win is a win is a win! And it was against Marlin! WOW!

Cody was AWESOME tonight! He had it together. I said it before on another thread, but double coverage of Shipley is a fatal error! It just opens Cody up. Marlin had a couple of guys who were equally as fast as Shipley and Warner, and had they been covering them both they might have held us to a closer game.

As far as Burnet goes, with those Marlin guys toe to toe with us, I think we might have had more 1st downs had we had a patient game with short passes up the middle- instead of trying to go for the long, deep passes on the completely covered Shipley and Warner. I think using the tight ends a little more would help our game.

There were some really bad calls both ways tonight. There was an early call against Burnet for intentional grounding. The flag was waved off, and guys, I hate to admit it- but it was what it was! We had a receiver "move over" and it looked like he might have been there- but he was no where in the vicinity when the ball was thrown while McGee was under a tremendous amount of pressure from Marlin's defense!

But one bad call deserves another. Burnet clearly- VERY CLEARLY- had a first down when the chains came out. Everyone saw it! They called it short and gave the ball to Marlin.

Marlin did a lot of holding. At one point, it looked like they were going to take the jersey off of Jordan... but it was only called about twice the entire game.

Congrats Burnet! We are bleeding green!

bulldogman
09-26-2003, 11:25 PM
wow! That defense for the Burnet looked awesome against some real good athletes. Marlins qb was impressive when he had time to throw. The same goes for McGee who was harassed all night. Warner no doubt did what he had to do. He is a number one guy on any other team. He has been our best weapon all year. I have to give Marlin their due. That secondary is awesome. Holding at times, but hey if you don't get caught in my opinion it is just good defense. Hey guys I think that defense squashed all the talk about being weak against the run didn't they Chris.

The Guru
09-26-2003, 11:29 PM
If I'm not mistaken, I thought McGee was outside the tackle when he threw the ball away, and that's the reason the flag was waived off.

eye of the tiger
09-26-2003, 11:32 PM
Burnet continues to roll. Congrats on the win.

jason
09-26-2003, 11:39 PM
i have one word for each team from what i saw tonight

Marlin: Junior-Varsity (theres a hyphen so it counts as one word)
Burnet: WOW

thunder
09-26-2003, 11:40 PM
just got home. man the last time i saw a game like tonights was when burnet beat whorton in round rock. burnet did a great job tonight both the players and the coaches. as for marlin well guys you were flat out coached! why did marlin not play #5 and #4 every down?

HotDawg89
09-26-2003, 11:42 PM
The Guru:
If I'm not mistaken, I thought McGee was outside the tackle when he threw the ball away, and that's the reason the flag was waived off.That could be. I'm really not sure. But it looked to me like they were trying to tell the officials otherwise. You could definately be correct! :)

PAINTBALL
09-26-2003, 11:42 PM
Marlin's defensive coach tried another first. One down lineman. Has anyone ever seen a one down lineman defense before? What prevented Burnet from firing out and gaining more yardage with runs up the middle?

Great game for the Burnet defense. This was a good test. thank's Marlin for some quality competition.

<small>[ September 26, 2003, 11:53 PM: Message edited by: PAINTBALL ]</small>

Chris Hart
09-26-2003, 11:44 PM
bulldogman:
wow! That defense for the Burnet looked awesome against some real good athletes. Marlins qb was impressive when he had time to throw. The same goes for McGee who was harassed all night. Warner no doubt did what he had to do. He is a number one guy on any other team. He has been our best weapon all year. I have to give Marlin their due. That secondary is awesome. Holding at times, but hey if you don't get caught in my opinion it is just good defense. Hey guys I think that defense squashed all the talk about being weak against the run didn't they Chris.I agree Bulldogman, like I said earlier in the week a spread attack plays right to our strength. Defense was AWESOME tonight. And Yes Warner played ANOTHER great game, he has to have over 600 rec. yds himself. Levens ran hard too, it was a total team effort tonight.

Tiny
09-26-2003, 11:55 PM
bulldogman:
wow! That defense for the Burnet looked awesome against some real good athletes. Marlins qb was impressive when he had time to throw. The same goes for McGee who was harassed all night. Warner no doubt did what he had to do. He is a number one guy on any other team. He has been our best weapon all year. I have to give Marlin their due. That secondary is awesome. Holding at times, but hey if you don't get caught in my opinion it is just good defense. Hey guys I think that defense squashed all the talk about being weak against the run didn't they Chris.Their was nothing impressive about marlin! No heart No game plan and as far as the run game, they did not try much at all, when they did it worked. Marlin should be ashamed of the effort and the coaches should be ashamed. I have not seen a team that talented play with no fire or direction in a long time!! Congradulations Burnet, I still think Burnet can be beat but you damn sure better come ready to play because Burnet WILL be prepared.

Pudlugger
09-26-2003, 11:55 PM
Okay either Burnet is that good (they apparently are) or Marlin is just another pretty good 3A team. What is it? Sounds like a real oh-hummer of a game. Maybe they will move Marlin up to #5 in the polls just for showing up to get the tar beat out of them. What hype for this game. Go figure! :rolleyes:

SintonFan
09-27-2003, 12:15 AM
eek! eek! eek!
35-6 against real good competiton. 29 point margin of victory. That's over four touchdowns. You can't complain...
Congrats Burnet!

<small>[ September 27, 2003, 12:15 AM: Message edited by: SintonFan ]</small>

oldengray1
09-27-2003, 12:27 AM
An absolutely inspiring performance from Burnet. The coaches had a defensive game plan that just overwhelmed the Marlin Offense. Last year the Marlin O-line and D-line won the constest, but this year it was entirely different. How many times did Burnet go for 4th and ? Has Burnet ever thrown a pass to #99 before? Dont try to double Shipley, if you do you will pay #3-Warner-great game. The Rountree kid played another outstanding game-The Kuhn kid played well also. One down lineman on defense? Good luck to Burnet's next victim

Keith7
09-27-2003, 02:40 AM
Like i said

Marlin would get blown out.. last season was a fluke.. face it

HotDawg89
09-27-2003, 09:15 AM
I wonder, how many teams sit and watch our films and think- "well, that team Burnet is playing just isn't as good as we are." Then they are up against Burnet and are not prepared mentally for it.

Burnet is the real deal this year. Last year we had great talent, and lots of heart to go with it. This year we have doubled up on the talent, and the heart. We are coming off of a lot of great experiences, and we see where we fell short in the end, that is a great motivator in my opinion.

Marlin is not a bad team- Burnet is just that good. I look for Marlin to do well the rest of the year, and you all should too.

<small>[ September 27, 2003, 09:16 AM: Message edited by: HotDawg89 ]</small>

Pudlugger
09-27-2003, 09:24 AM
HotDawg89:
I wonder, how many teams sit and watch our films and think- "well, that team Burnet is playing just isn't as good as we are." Then they are up against Burnet and are not prepared mentally for it.

Burnet is the real deal this year. Last year we had great talent, and lots of heart to go with it. This year we have doubled up on the talent, and the heart. We are coming off of a lot of great experiences, and we see where we fell short in the end, that is a great motivator in my opinion.

Marlin is not a bad team- Burnet is just that good. I look for Marlin to do well the rest of the year, and you all should too.Marlin will lose big next week to Ennis, go into district 1-4, win district 4-1 and lose to Newton in round two of the play-offs ending with a 6-5 record. Now can we talk about some other teams for a change? :rolleyes:

HotDawg89
09-27-2003, 09:25 AM
Pudlugger:

HotDawg89:

Marlin is not a bad team- Burnet is just that good. I look for Marlin to do well the rest of the year, and you all should too.Marlin will lose big next week to Ennis, go into district 1-4, win district 4-1 and lose to Newton in round two of the play-offs ending with a 6-5 record. Now can we talk about some other teams for a change? :rolleyes: How did LaGrange do last night?

Pudlugger
09-27-2003, 09:27 AM
La Grange beat Hempstead 51-7 and go 3-2. :)

HotDawg89
09-27-2003, 09:34 AM
Awesome- I bet you thought I was just being a smart-a$$ huh? Congrats on a big win- I am from Bastrop originally, and used to hang out in LaGrange quite a bit.

faithfuldog
09-29-2003, 12:25 PM
echo....burnet is a really good ball team! well coached and great execution! ya'll should go far in the playoffs and have a great shot at winning it all. way to go and continue to set the example of how it should be done.

don't count Marlin out... we will make adjustments and learn from the mistakes...although it's easy to down the coaches, it seems we lack a lot in that area.

i'm a believer in the GREEN MACHINE......