PDA

View Full Version : New Coach question

West22
02-22-2010, 08:54 PM
Has anyone ever heard of a new HC/AD coming in and being able to wipe out an entire coaching staff immediately just like college coaches do? I have not ever heard of this happening in HS and was wondering if someone else had because it seems to be happening right now at an currently undisclosed ;) 4A school.

Txbroadcaster
02-22-2010, 08:55 PM
Originally posted by West22
Has anyone ever heard of a new HC/AD coming in and being able to wipe out an entire coaching staff immediately just like college coaches do? I have not ever heard of this happening in HS and was wondering if someone else had because it seems to be happening right now at an currently undisclosed ;) 4A school.

happens all the time

NateDawg39
02-22-2010, 08:55 PM
:rolleyes:

BHBrave08
02-22-2010, 09:37 PM
I have heard of them bringing in an OC, DC, and maybe one or two more. Never have heard of a whole staff being replaced in the first year though.

BOCEPHUS
02-23-2010, 06:33 AM
IT SHOULD HAPPEN

GET RID OF ALL THE BROWN NOS'EN , ARSE KISSN, BACK STABB'N SURVIVORS

nationalpastime
02-23-2010, 10:04 AM
i've seen it happen before. i also know of some smaller school ad's that were offered jobs at 4a and 3a that turned down the offers because they couldn't bring their whole staff.

BEAST
02-23-2010, 10:10 AM
Originally posted by West22

Happened in Brownwood in the mid 90's. Literally every coach all the way down to Jr. High got let go. The trainer managed to keep his job. When Coach Shipley came a year ago, most of the coaches were let go. Not all but most.

BEAST

kaorder1999
02-23-2010, 10:22 AM
happens frequently

headhunter
02-23-2010, 10:37 AM
Yes it happens, As a new coach why wouldn't you want to bring in your staff, that is part of being a coach, you must realize that these things can happen.

kaorder1999
02-23-2010, 10:48 AM
I have interviewed for a head coaching job and was told that if offered the job, one of my first duties would be to let the entire football staff go and they asked me if I would have a problem with doing that.

Trashman
02-23-2010, 11:04 AM
Originally posted by kaorder1999
I have interviewed for a head coaching job and was told that if offered the job, one of my first duties would be to let the entire football staff go and they asked me if I would have a problem with doing that.

Wow, should it be your decision as to whether they stay or go?:confused:

BullsFan
02-23-2010, 11:26 AM
You know, one of these days I would just love to open a thread like this and find out it's about the purse and not the position. Wrong board, I guess. ;)

On a more topical note, I can't imagine why a new head coach wouldn't be able to start with his own staff if he chose. Or keep some of the existing if he chose. It should totally be his choice, unless there's some reason for the district/administration to take a stance. (Like some kind of huge conflict with the previous HC.)

2's dad
02-23-2010, 11:59 AM
Have been in 3 situations where new AD came in. The first one let me keep my job at JH. When a varsity spot came open he told me he was going to bring in a friend from his old school and pass me over. I left that job but respected him for being honest.

Next job, AD was told he had to keep me (small 1A). After two years, he reassigned me from head coach of other sports. We had a difference in philosophy. I left that job but, again, respected his honesty.

Next job, new AD called me in, told me his expectations, philosophy, etc. and said if I could get on board I could stay.

All three of these guys have class and do things the right way IMO.

Trashman
02-23-2010, 12:05 PM
Originally posted by Trashman
Wow, shouldn't it be your decision as to whether they stay or go?:confused:

See above quote for correction.:rolleyes:

maroogreen
02-23-2010, 12:46 PM
In many districts, the coaching position and classroom position are tied together so that if you lose your coaching position, you are gone and they can hire someone to take your place.

Some school boards try to get clever and separate the classroom and coaching positions so they can "relieve" a coach from his or her duties during the year and still make them stay until the end of the year in the classroom (so they don't have to be replaced until the summer). But this can backfire in a big way when a coach decides to get out of coaching and still teach. All of the sudden, you have a coaching vacancy without the classroom position open. I've seen that happen a few times.

OLE'BULL
02-23-2010, 07:14 PM
It is very common. If a new HC/AD is expected to come in to a program and improve their record, it would not be fair to force him to keep the staff that was not winning. That is assuming the previous head coach was "let go". On the other hand, I think if a HC/AD takes an offer from a bigger/better program and moves on, it would be more common to keep the current staff, as long as there were no problems or personality clashes.