PDA

View Full Version : Ice Dancing is this a sport?

pancho villa
02-22-2010, 08:57 AM
Ice Dancing is no more of a sport than Cheerleading, so get it out of the Olympics!

jason
02-22-2010, 09:21 AM
hell no its not a sport...anything that is decided by judging isn't a sport....

johnny cash would have thrown up if he had seen those idiots skating around with his music playing...

BullsFan
02-22-2010, 09:29 AM
I much prefer pairs, but yes, I think it's a sport. Those are athletes who work just as hard as anyone else to perfect their routines. I know it's not a manly-man sport, but just because you don't like something doesn't mean we shouldn't acknowledge it at all.

NateDawg39
02-22-2010, 09:33 AM
It is more of a sport than croquet

LE Dad
02-22-2010, 09:38 AM
It is certainly NOT standaround!:D

Phil C
02-22-2010, 09:43 AM
The only thing is they have sports like that and then eliminate baseball and softball mainly upon the whims of the Europeans.

NateDawg39
02-22-2010, 09:48 AM
I say if we have to endure curling as a sport we should have football or baseball in the Olympics.

pancho villa
02-22-2010, 09:52 AM
Originally posted by jason
hell no its not a sport...anything that is decided by judging isn't a sport....

johnny cash would have thrown up if he had seen those idiots skating around with his music playing...

A man after my own heart, if it has to be judged IT IS NOT A SPORT!!!!!!

pancho villa
02-22-2010, 09:53 AM
Originally posted by BullsFan
I much prefer pairs, but yes, I think it's a sport. Those are athletes who work just as hard as anyone else to perfect their routines. I know it's not a manly-man sport, but just because you don't like something doesn't mean we shouldn't acknowledge it at all.

I bet you are a liberal!

NateDawg39
02-22-2010, 09:57 AM
Originally posted by pancho villa
I bet you are a liberal! I bet you have a mustache :p

jason
02-22-2010, 10:07 AM
A man after my own heart, if it has to be judged IT IS NOT A SPORT!!!!!!

x2

BILLYFRED0000
02-22-2010, 10:10 AM
Originally posted by NateDawg39
It is more of a sport than croquet

or curling

jason
02-22-2010, 10:13 AM
curling and croquet are closer to sport than ice dancing or figure skating will ever be...

that doesnt mean the participants of croquet or curling are as athletic as skaters, but those are still sports as ice dancing is not....

NateDawg39
02-22-2010, 10:18 AM
Originally posted by jason
curling and croquet are closer to sport than ice dancing or figure skating will ever be...

that doesnt mean the participants of croquet or curling are as athletic as skaters, but those are still more of a sport.... lol CNN did a special on the American curling team. They are definitely not athletic. Now, in Canad, curling is more popular than anything except hockey.

BullsFan
02-22-2010, 10:43 AM
Originally posted by Phil C
The only thing is they have sports like that and then eliminate baseball and softball mainly upon the whims of the Europeans.

Yeah, that bothered me a bit. Or more than a bit, I guess. I get that those are sports that do not involve many countries besides the US, but there are other sports dominated almost entirely by Russia or China or whatever, and no one ever decides to eliminate those sports.

Green Bling
02-22-2010, 11:17 AM
Ice Dancing is no more of a sport than Cheerleading, so get it out of the Olympics!
Face it, the real reason you don't like ice dancing is that DVR rivalry you have going with Ms. Villa!:stirpot: :D

pancho villa
02-22-2010, 11:25 AM
Originally posted by Green Bling
Face it, the real reason you don't like ice dancing is that DVR rivalry you have going with Ms. Villa!:stirpot: :D

Nope, because it is NOT A SPORT! and gay

Daddy D 11
02-22-2010, 12:09 PM
Figure skating is more of a sport than curling. Some of those old men doing the curling look 74 years old, about to die of a heart attack and 150 pounds over weight. In no way, shape, or form are they athletes. You try and just skate on ice, much less jump in the air and spin 4 times then land it perfectly. It might not be "extremely athletic" but it takes a ridiculous amount of skill and practice. Curling is like... here's a broom...... scrub!

The luge is pretty non-athletic as well. Physically, I would say that figure skating demands more from you than volleyball and baseball... and I played baseball for ever and that is an American sport that is revered here in the States. Volleyball, well it just sucks. But so does curling...

3afan
02-22-2010, 12:14 PM
how 'bout some of thiose outfits the male ice dancers are wearing?

very borderline ...

Daddy D 11
02-22-2010, 12:21 PM
Definitely some flaming outfits. Doesn't mean they aren't athletic though... that stuff they do looks hard as hell.

NateDawg39
02-22-2010, 12:24 PM
Originally posted by 3afan
how 'bout some of thiose outfits the male ice dancers are wearing?

very borderline ... Announcers got in trouble for comments about Johnny Weir or whatever his name is. The guy who uses real fur for his custom outfits. They said he should get a gender test :doh:

BullsFan
02-22-2010, 12:26 PM
Originally posted by NateDawg39
Announcers got in trouble for comments about Johnny Weir or whatever his name is. The guy who uses real fur for his custom outfits. They said he should get a gender test :doh:

I love Johnny Weir! I think he's a hoot! But I do think I heard the announcers say he actually stays with the women (in the women's dorm, maybe?) and has a girl for a roommate.

NateDawg39
02-22-2010, 12:28 PM
Well he is pretty fashion based and does a good job at design. Pretty darn light on his feet also

STANG RED
02-22-2010, 01:27 PM
I'm not a fan at all, but it takes great athletic ability to do well, then yes its a real sport. As far as it being judged disqualifying it from being a real sport, that doesnt hold water either. Many calls by referees and umpires are judgement calls, therefore they are a judge in a sense, and their calls, good or bad, can have a direct impact on the outcome of a game. So if judges disqualify something from being a real sport, there sure arent many real sports out there.
By the way, I cant stand Ice skating or Ice dancing, so I dont watch them. In fact there are lots of sports I dont like and choose not to watch. But I still think they are real sports.
Is shooting a real sport? You can be a terrible athlete, yet be the best shot in the world.

turbostud
02-22-2010, 01:34 PM
I call it Fairies On Ice.

pancho villa
02-23-2010, 11:48 AM
Originally posted by STANG RED
I'm not a fan at all, but it takes great athletic ability to do well, then yes its a real sport. As far as it being judged disqualifying it from being a real sport, that doesnt hold water either. Many calls by referees and umpires are judgement calls, therefore they are a judge in a sense, and their calls, good or bad, can have a direct impact on the outcome of a game. So if judges disqualify something from being a real sport, there sure arent many real sports out there.
By the way, I cant stand Ice skating or Ice dancing, so I dont watch them. In fact there are lots of sports I dont like and choose not to watch. But I still think they are real sports.
Is shooting a real sport? You can be a terrible athlete, yet be the best shot in the world.

Are you a male?

Reds fan
02-23-2010, 11:55 AM
Originally posted by BullsFan
I love Johnny Weir! I think he's a hoot! But I do think I heard the announcers say he actually stays with the women (in the women's dorm, maybe?) and has a girl for a roommate.

Yep and cause of that fur "he" stayed in the olympic village during opening ceemonies in fear of PETA!

Green Bling
02-23-2010, 12:00 PM
Like ice dancing or not, the event contributed to medal count of the USA.:cheerl:

pancho villa
02-23-2010, 12:08 PM
Is MIKE WEIR from Sweetwater or Cuero?

crzyjournalist03
02-23-2010, 12:12 PM
I think this article sums up the issues with ice dancing very well:

http://sports.yahoo.com/olympics/vancouver/figure_skating/news?slug=ro-icedance022210&prov=yhoo

crzyjournalist03
02-23-2010, 12:14 PM

:confused: This guy?

http://www.golftalkonline.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/12/_39408277_weir_getty.jpg

He's from Canada. And what do you have against golf?

pancho villa
02-23-2010, 12:15 PM

My bad Johnny Weir. Cuero or Sweetwater?

rojosgirl
02-23-2010, 12:26 PM
Bottom line is people don't like what they can't or won't try to understand. Hard for Texans to wrap their mind around most of the events in the winter games. That doesn't mean the competitors aren't REAL athletes and the events being contested aren't REAL sports.

Judges, referees, umpires, and officials of all kinds are necessary in all sporting events. Somebody has to keep order. My friends at The American Heritage Dictionary say that a sport is "an activity involving physical exertion and having a set form and body of rules". Football - yes,baseball-yes, cheerleading- yes, hockey - yes, downhill skiing - yes and even golf. All sports according to this definition.

Just try to open up those small, closed minded pea brains and you'll see a whole new world out there. Yes, a world of things you may not like or understand, but that doesn't make them any less important! .

crzyjournalist03
02-23-2010, 12:29 PM
Originally posted by rojosgirl
Bottom line is people don't like what they can't or won't try to understand. Hard for Texans to wrap their mind around most of the events in the winter games. That doesn't mean the competitors aren't REAL athletes and the events being contested aren't REAL sports.

Judges, referees, umpires, and officials of all kinds are necessary in all sporting events. Somebody has to keep order. My friends at The American Heritage Dictionary say that a sport is "an activity involving physical exertion and having a set form and body of rules". Football - yes,baseball-yes, cheerleading- yes, hockey - yes, downhill skiing - yes and even golf. All sports according to this definition.

Just try to open up those small, closed minded pea brains and you'll see a whole new world out there. Yes, a world of things you may not like or understand, but that doesn't make them any less important! .

ice dancing awards points for creativity. that is not a set body of rules.