PDA

View Full Version : College Baseball opening weekend

BaseballUmp
02-21-2010, 03:38 PM
Texas State going for the sweep to open up the 2010 season against the University of Houston Cougars in Houston.

Game 1: 6-0 Bobcats

Game 2: 6-3 Bobcats

Game 3 In Progress: 5-2 Bobcats Btm 5th

Daddy D 11
02-21-2010, 04:13 PM
Tx State is damn good this year, they're going to beat a handful of teams they shouldn't

BaseballUmp
02-21-2010, 04:46 PM
Yea they are, got Rice, Baylor, and A&M coming up in the next week.

BaseballUmp
02-21-2010, 05:41 PM
Won Game 3 9-7 after a late push from the Coug's

PhiI C
02-21-2010, 06:36 PM
No. 1 Texas lost 2 out of 3 to New Mexico who was unranked. I don't know if Texas was overated or NM underated but it is a shocking loss especially since the series was in Austin. I am not as alarmed because no doubt we will lose No. 1 but it is how you are playing when conference and playoffs come that matters to me. In fact I am almost relieved that we won't have to carry the No. 1 burden this early in the year.

Yoe_09
02-21-2010, 07:23 PM
Texas A&M also swept Seton Hall this weekend:

Game 1: 11-2
Game 2: 13-6
Game 3: 6-3

Matthew328
02-21-2010, 08:21 PM
TCU swept Sam Houston State

pancho villa
02-21-2010, 08:29 PM
Who cares!

Bull Butter
02-21-2010, 08:51 PM
Rice got swept by Stanford

Daddy D 11
02-21-2010, 08:54 PM
Originally posted by Bull Butter
Rice got swept by Stanford

ouch

Daddy D 11
02-21-2010, 08:54 PM
Baylor beat Duke
Then lost to Georgia
Then beat Duke
Then beat Georgia

3-1 to start the year, got TCU coming to town Wednesday

XMan
02-21-2010, 09:02 PM
Its a real shame that the media ignores college baseball. If the NCAA would promote it, they would be surprised in the interest it could receive. Try getting a college score without the internet, good luck. On ESPN you can get the score of every soccer game in the world but NO college baseball at all til Rosenblatt. Its a real shame.

Be_Advised
02-21-2010, 09:07 PM
Originally posted by XMan
Its a real shame that the media ignores college baseball. If the NCAA would promote it, they would be surprised in the interest it could receive. Try getting a college score without the internet, good luck. On ESPN you can get the score of every soccer game in the world but NO college baseball at all til Rosenblatt. Its a real shame.

I totally agree with you. College baseball is very under appreciated by the mainstream media.

Keith7
02-21-2010, 09:07 PM

It's hard for people to get in to college baseball knowing that half of the best college aged players are actually in the minors.

Be_Advised
02-21-2010, 09:11 PM
Originally posted by Keith7
It's hard for people to get in to college baseball knowing that half of the best college aged players are actually in the minors.

Then why is college basketball given so much attention. I feel its mostly due to the gambling involved with "march madness."

Keith7
02-21-2010, 09:13 PM
Originally posted by Be_Advised
Then why is college basketball given so much attention. I feel its mostly due to the gambling involved with "march madness."

because 1. tradition 2. the upsets and 3. the one-and-done rule

Be_Advised
02-21-2010, 09:16 PM
because 1. tradition 2. the upsets and 3. the one-and-done rule

Baseball has tradition and upsets. I don't know much of the one and done rule. Is that the one of requiring high rule out of high school?

Keith7
02-21-2010, 09:19 PM
Originally posted by Be_Advised
Is that the one of requiring high rule out of high school?

Yes and sure baseball has tradition and upsets but nothing like the NCAA tournament. Plus its much easier to sit and watch a 40 minutes basketball game as opposed to a three game series. I like college baseball as much as the next guy but why the general public doesn't take to it seems rather obvious

Yoe_09
02-21-2010, 09:54 PM
Yes and sure baseball has tradition and upsets but nothing like the NCAA tournament. Plus its much easier to sit and watch a 40 minutes basketball game as opposed to a three game series. I like college baseball as much as the next guy but why the general public doesn't take to it seems rather obvious

I would have to agree that the general public would want to watch the basketball game more. I am personally a huge baseball fan and would prefer for more of it to be on ESPN and FSNSW but it probably wont happen.

XMan
02-22-2010, 07:01 AM
Yea, its real hard to watch cause its not ever on. Most people dont even know that college baseball exists. Yesterday, I couldnt even get a score of the U of H/SWT score in the Houston Chronicle yet they cover college football 365 days a year.

pancho villa
02-22-2010, 09:20 AM
Because why does any normal person want to watch a bunch of guys standing around?

NastySlot
02-22-2010, 10:19 AM
Originally posted by Daddy D 11
Baylor beat Duke
Then lost to Georgia
Then beat Duke
Then beat Georgia

3-1 to start the year, got TCU coming to town Wednesday

Baylor has a big week in baseball...host tcu...then a&m, state and w. kentucky for a tourney this weekend.

sahen
02-22-2010, 10:55 AM
college baseball isnt as popular as football or basketball because the north east doesnt care about college baseball (esp this time of year) because they typically suck at it...therefore it has never developed a following since they have historically controlled whats on tv....college baseball is a regional thing, you can get some of it on regional networks (that you typically have to pay extra for like a sports pack) but its no different than college hockey...both of them have a strong following but in different regions....neither of those sports will rival college football or basketball since both of those sports will always have a national following...

basically:

college baseball = Southern and Western Sport
college hockey = Northern and Eastern sport

obviously there are some exceptions but thats the general rule...

NastySlot
02-22-2010, 11:06 AM
Originally posted by sahen
college baseball isnt as popular as football or basketball because the north east doesnt care about college baseball (esp this time of year) because they typically suck at it...therefore it has never developed a following since they have historically controlled whats on tv....college baseball is a regional thing, you can get some of it on regional networks (that you typically have to pay extra for like a sports pack) but its no different than college hockey...both of them have a strong following but in different regions....neither of those sports will rival college football or basketball since both of those sports will always have a national following...

basically:

college baseball = Southern and Western Sport
college hockey = Northern and Eastern sport

obviously there are some exceptions but thats the general rule...

I agree with what you have said...but espn does a good job of covering college lacrosse...and that sport is really only an eastern coast sport........there was a stretch in the late 80's and early 90's espn would have a few baseball games on sunday.

eagles_victory
02-22-2010, 01:04 PM
There was quite a bit of college baseball on about 3 or 4 years ago on ESPN. IMO college baseball is extremly boring though.

XMan
02-22-2010, 01:16 PM
The NCAA HATES college baseball. They probably dont want it to get popular. Heck, people might even find out and get upset that the NCAA only allows 11.7 scholarships for baseball per year.

Keith7
02-22-2010, 02:12 PM
The NCAA HATES college baseball. They probably dont want it to get popular. Heck, people might even find out and get upset that the NCAA only allows 11.7 scholarships for baseball per year.

I believe this and Sahen's media conspiracy theory.. both make a lot of sense

sahen
02-22-2010, 02:30 PM
Originally posted by NastySlot
I agree with what you have said...but espn does a good job of covering college lacrosse...and that sport is really only an eastern coast sport........there was a stretch in the late 80's and early 90's espn would have a few baseball games on sunday.

ESPN is stationed on the east coast...covering lacrosse is not expensive for them as they have the cameras right there and they have a fan base for it right there as well...baseball would be more expensive for them to cover.....this is my guess as to why that works out that way

Daddy D 11
02-22-2010, 02:39 PM
Atleast once regionals and super regionals come on it consumes ESPN. I'm a huge baseball fan at any level and played a year in college so I probably love baseball more than most normal people lol but I understand the reasons why ESPN doesn't air as many regular season games. It is what it is, if you enjoy the sport and want to see games then jump in the truck and go watch them. Most any school's games are dirt cheap, if not free to get into.

We had season tickets to UT baseball games from the time I was 5 to when I was a junior in highschool. Then we sold them, but I still go to as many games a year because you can scalp two tickets for like 20 bucks total, and that's at Texas games, anywhere else is going to be cheaper.

NastySlot
02-22-2010, 02:53 PM
Originally posted by Daddy D 11
Atleast once regionals and super regionals come on it consumes ESPN. I'm a huge baseball fan at any level and played a year in college so I probably love baseball more than most normal people lol but I understand the reasons why ESPN doesn't air as many regular season games. It is what it is, if you enjoy the sport and want to see games then jump in the truck and go watch them. Most any school's games are dirt cheap, if not free to get into.

We had season tickets to UT baseball games from the time I was 5 to when I was a junior in highschool. Then we sold them, but I still go to as many games a year because you can scalp two tickets for like 20 bucks total, and that's at Texas games, anywhere else is going to be cheaper.

I agree catch a game...I love baseball...lucky i can if time permits catch on a weekend...the horns...texas state...utsa.......and then i've caught a few dii games...uiw and st. mary's.............look forward to my yearly trip to college station to watch an aggie series.

BaseballUmp
02-22-2010, 04:25 PM
Texas State home opener next Wednesday against Rice...already got my ticket and a cleared schedule