PDA

View Full Version : The USA is winning the 2010 Winter Olympics!

PhiI C
02-20-2010, 11:20 PM
We lead the medal count. Let's hope we can hold on to win. Remember there are still 7 days of tough competition left with the one on Feb 28th being the closing ceremonies I think. The followin are the current leaders as of Feb 20, 2010.

1. USA with 22 medals
2. Germany with 14 medals
3. Norway with 11 medals
4. Canada with 8 medals
5. Tied with 7 medals are Austria, South Korea and France

I remember when we had some good moments in these Olympics but never an overall threat like this. Good news indeed!

GO USA!!

:clap: :clap: :clap:

NateDawg39
02-20-2010, 11:35 PM
Lets not get to excited Phil, Germany is known for making a push in the last few days of the games and Canada will not go down without a fight either. Hope the U.S.A is ready for the other countries to give it their all

PhiI C
02-20-2010, 11:46 PM
Originally posted by NateDawg39
Lets not get to excited Phil, Germany is known for making a push in the last few days of the games and Canada will not go down without a fight either. Hope the U.S.A is ready for the other countries to give it their all

Right you are Nate! But the pretty thing is we are making a fantastic overall showing this year and are an overall threat. It used to be we would win a few medals in figure skating and other sports but now we are a threat overall. Good times indeed no matter what happens.

NateDawg39
02-20-2010, 11:47 PM
Originally posted by PhiI C
Right you are Nate! But the pretty thing is we are making a fantastic overall showing this year and are an overall threat. It used to be we would win a few medals in figure skating and other sports but now we are a threat overall. Good times indeed no matter what happens. :clap: GO U.S.A!!

Daddy D 11
02-20-2010, 11:50 PM
As long as Canada keep sucking I am happy. I have no reason to, but I hate our neighbors to the North. I can't figure out why but it makes me so happy to see them fail on their home court

TheDOCTORdre
02-20-2010, 11:50 PM
The Olympics in Canada has been an epic fail

NateDawg39
02-20-2010, 11:51 PM
Originally posted by Daddy D 11
As long as Canada keep sucking I am happy. I have no reason to, but I hate our neighbors to the North. I can't figure out why but it makes me so happy to see them fail on their home court lol geeze how do you feel about our neighbors to the south?

Daddy D 11
02-20-2010, 11:52 PM
lol geeze how do you feel about our neighbors to the south?
Shoot I like them boys to the south of us, got good deer hunting, and dove hunting, and fishing... and the liquor is good too.

NateDawg39
02-20-2010, 11:54 PM
Shoot I like them boys to the south of us, got good deer hunting, and dove hunting, and fishing... and the liquor is good too. Makes me want to spend a weekend in Laredo

Daddy D 11
02-20-2010, 11:58 PM
Makes me want to spend a weekend in Laredo

screw that place, I'm talking "in" mexico lol that's where it's at. Well, where it used to be at. Now I would go there if you paid me.

Yoe_09
02-20-2010, 11:59 PM
We lead the medal count. Let's hope we can hold on to win. Remember there are still 7 days of tough competition left with the one on Feb 28th being the closing ceremonies I think. The followin are the current leaders as of Feb 20, 2010.

1. USA with 22 medals
3. Norway with 11 medals
4. Canada with 8 medals

I remember when we had some good moments in these Olympics but never an overall threat like this. Good news indeed!

GO USA!!

23 now we won a bronze i guess about 20 minutes ago

NateDawg39
02-21-2010, 12:00 AM
screw that place, I'm talking "in" mexico lol that's where it's at. Well, where it used to be at. Now I would go there if you paid me. Yea thats why I said Laredo lol. I have had some fun down there and in Mexico but it would be hard to have fun there this day in age

Snydertigersrul
02-21-2010, 04:31 PM
WHO CARES

1. USA with 22 medals
3. Norway with 11 medals
4. Canada with 8 medals

GO USA!!

Daddy D 11
02-21-2010, 04:32 PM
Originally posted by Snydertigersrul
WHO CARES

idk, do you care?

PhiI C
02-21-2010, 06:31 PM
We are still in the lead. The top three standings are now:

1. USA at 24
2. Germany at 16
3. Norway at 12

If we can maintain that 8 point lead over Germany for about 5 more days I am sure we can win it. Excitement indeed.

eagleqb_14
02-21-2010, 08:43 PM
U S A! U S A!

PhiI C
02-21-2010, 10:31 PM
What a great win over Canada by our USA Men's Hockey Team. It isn't a medal round but still a great win.
I think if we can get the medal count at 32 for us we will win the Olympics.

turbostud
02-21-2010, 11:26 PM
Germany is making a run at us.

United States 24
Germany 18
Norway 12
Canada 9
South Korea 9
Austria 8
Russia 8
France 8

Daddy D 11
02-21-2010, 11:34 PM
Germany can suck it!

PhiI C
02-21-2010, 11:41 PM
We need to keep getting more medals. I still think it will take at least 32 ot win it.

Black_Magic
02-22-2010, 10:58 AM
France Just quit once they realized Germany was there. They just went home

Phil C
02-22-2010, 11:28 AM
Originally posted by Black_Magic
France Just quit once they realized Germany was there. They just went home

:(

NateDawg39
02-22-2010, 11:28 AM
Originally posted by Phil C
:( Don't worry Phil, AMERICA is not giving up!!

Phil C
02-22-2010, 04:03 PM
Originally posted by turbostud
Germany is making a run at us.

United States 24
Germany 18
Norway 12
Canada 9
South Korea 9
Austria 8
Russia 8
France 8

Germany now has gained on us at 19 and Norway has another one at 13. Come on USA! Let's get some medals today!

Phil C
02-22-2010, 04:24 PM
Some good news. Our women's hockey team beat Sweden 2 - 0 in the semis. We play the winner of tonight's game between Canada and Finland for the gold. So at least we will get a medal in this sport. It would be nice to get the gold.

Phil C
02-22-2010, 04:44 PM
Our women's hockey team will at least get us off that 24 that we have been on the past day and 1/2 but I am getting nervous and annoyed watching Germany and Norway creep up on us as we stagnate. :(

Phil C
02-22-2010, 05:43 PM
Good Grief! Now Germany has gained another one and is at 20! Let's get with it USA! A la chiwawa!

PhiI C
02-22-2010, 07:44 PM
It keeps getting worse as the USA has failed to get another one and Germany now has 21 just 3 behind us and even Norway is slowly creeping up with 14. Come on USA!

Reds fan
02-23-2010, 11:18 AM
It keeps getting worse as the USA has failed to get another one and Germany now has 21 just 3 behind us and even Norway is slowly creeping up with 14. Come on USA!

Yes Phil, I too feel your pain! The German blitz offensive has indeed created a narrow lead for the USA. Picking up one medal last night in ice dancing just is not enough! And to top that off the Russians knocked the USA out of the bronze in the same competition! Woe is me :(

Phil C
02-23-2010, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by Reds fan
Yes Phil, I too feel your pain! The German blitz offensive has indeed created a narrow lead for the USA. Picking up one medal last night in ice dancing just is not enough! And to top that off the Russians knocked the USA out of the bronze in the same competition! Woe is me :(

Well at least we got 25 now but we need to get some more today and creep to that 30 mark.

NateDawg39
02-23-2010, 12:27 PM
Well at least we got 25 now but we need to get some more today and creep to that 30 mark. Phil I have a lot of confidence in our Hockey teams to take gold this year.

Phil C
02-23-2010, 12:47 PM
Phil I have a lot of confidence in our Hockey teams to take gold this year.

I agree. Our men and women's hockey teams both have a good shot of it. Let's hope so. If both of them get gold even if we lose the olympics it would sure take the sting out.

Phil C
02-23-2010, 04:10 PM
Germany gains another medal and is now 3 behind us at 22.

Reds fan
02-23-2010, 05:02 PM
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

The German assault continues!

Phil C
02-23-2010, 05:28 PM
BLITZKRIEG!!!

:eek: :eek: :eek: :(

Phil C
02-24-2010, 10:50 AM
Currently we still lead Germany with 26 medals to 23 medals. What is also alarming is Norway is chipping at both of our leads and now has 17 medals. Still gold in the Hockey games will ease the pain of losing.

ronwx5x
02-24-2010, 12:08 PM
Currently we still lead Germany with 26 medals to 23 medals. What is also alarming is Norway is chipping at both of our leads and now has 17 medals. Still gold in the Hockey games will ease the pain of losing.

What are "we" losing? The only winners at The Olympics are individual and/or team sport members. Yes, the total medal count is tracked, but there is no country that is declared the winner overall. All competition is between individuals, not countries.

Phil C
02-24-2010, 12:34 PM
Originally posted by ronwx5x
What are "we" losing? The only winners at The Olympics are individual and/or team sport members. Yes, the total medal count is tracked, but there is no country that is declared the winner overall. All competition is between individuals, not countries.

:eek: :(

Don't disillusion us ron! :(

slpybear the bullfan
02-24-2010, 05:37 PM

Umm, yeah Ron, that is what countries like Spain and Poland and Estonia can tell themselves when it is all over.

AMERICA!!!

Reds fan
02-24-2010, 08:33 PM
BLITZKRIEG!!!

:eek: :eek: :eek: :(

The Germans continue the assault!
USA 26
Germany 24

Reds fan
02-24-2010, 10:35 PM
Thanks to a Korean womens DQ, the USA gets Bronze in Short Track skate!

And our women hold off the Germans for Bronze in Bobsled!

USA 28
Germany 24

Excitment indeed, I'm sure Phil will agree!

PhiI C
02-24-2010, 10:36 PM

USA 28
Germany 24

Indeed! Everyone hang on to your hats for the last few days left. Much excitement coming!

PhiI C
02-24-2010, 10:50 PM

USA 28
Germany 24

Reds fan we also must remember that right behind the two teams above are Norway at 18, Canada at 15 and Russia at 13. We have to be careful with those of course as well as with Germany.

Reds fan
02-24-2010, 10:55 PM
Reds fan we also must remember that right behind the two teams above are Norway at 18, Canada at 15 and Russia at 13. We have to be careful with those of course as well as with Germany.

Point taken Phil! We dare not let up!

SintonFan
02-24-2010, 11:42 PM
The Germans continue the assault!
USA 26
Germany 24

Wow!:(

Maybe ronwx is from Canada?:D

SintonFan
02-24-2010, 11:42 PM
Go USA USA USA!!!!!!!

ronwx5x
02-25-2010, 12:00 PM
Originally posted by SintonFan
Wow!:(

Maybe ronwx is from Canada?:D

Originally posted by slpybear the bullfan
Umm, yeah Ron, that is what countries like Spain and Poland and Estonia can tell themselves when it is all over.

AMERICA!!!

I am simply stating the obvious, that The Olympics are organized for individual competition, not country competition. I enjoy every medal the USA wins, but I also enjy seeing someone from a small country wins a medal against odds. If my opinion invites belittling, so be it. I will just consider the source.

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_the_Olympic_ideal

What is the Olympic ideal?

The Olympic Ideal is the premise that individuals, not countries, compete against each other in sport and through these these competitions held every 4 years for both summer and winter Olympics, peaceful competition without the burden of politics, religion, or racism.

Maybe not the greatest source for information, but Wiki does state a purpose.

SintonPirateFan
02-25-2010, 12:05 PM
and to that, i say....

U-S-A!!! U-S-A!!! U-S-A!!! screw all the little countries and canada and russia and germany and stinkin shorttrack false-starting south korea.

SintonFan
02-25-2010, 01:02 PM
I am simply stating the obvious, that The Olympics are organized for individual competition, not country competition. I enjoy every medal the USA wins, but I also enjy seeing someone from a small country wins a medal against odds. If my opinion invites belittling, so be it. I will just consider the source.

The Olympic Ideal is the premise that individuals, not countries, compete against each other in sport and through these these competitions held every 4 years for both summer and winter Olympics, peaceful competition without the burden of politics, religion, or racism.

lol
I didn't consider mentioning you and Canada "belittling(although on second thought maybe it is). You should know my sense of humor...:devil:

BullsFan
02-25-2010, 02:00 PM
Sure it's individuals competing without politics, religion, racism, etc, playing a part, but clearly those individuals represent their countries. This is why they usually wear a flag on their uniform (or, as with the Dutch, a color that represents their country), and this is why the national anthem of each country is played as their flag is raised during the medal ceremony. And this is why every newspaper and media outlet on the planet has a medal count.

ronwx5x
02-25-2010, 02:25 PM
Originally posted by BullsFan
Sure it's individuals competing without politics, religion, racism, etc, playing a part, but clearly those individuals represent their countries. This is why they usually wear a flag on their uniform (or, as with the Dutch, a color that represents their country), and this is why the national anthem of each country is played as their flag is raised during the medal ceremony. And this is why every newspaper and media outlet on the planet has a medal count.

Appearently you cannot or did not read the definition of Olympic Ideals? That's not my definition, but that of the Olympic Organizing Committee. I certainly recognize that individuals carry distinguishing marks of their country of origen, that media carries medal counts, and anthems are played. i also recognize the stated ideal.

The ideal is just that, what the intent should be. Again, not my definition.

Reds fan
02-25-2010, 02:38 PM
United States 7 9 12 --28
Germany 8 10 7 --25
Norway 6 6 6 --18
Canada 7 6 2 --15

Germans pick up another gold!

:eek: :eek:

BullsFan
02-25-2010, 03:07 PM
Appearently you cannot or did not read the definition of Olympic Ideals? That's not my definition, but that of the Olympic Organizing Committee. I certainly recognize that individuals carry distinguishing marks of their country of origen, that media carries medal counts, and anthems are played. i also recognize the stated ideal.

The ideal is just that, what the intent should be. Again, not my definition.

I certainly did read the ideal. The ideal of communism is equality for all, but that's not always how it works. And no, I am NOT equating the Olympics with communism, I'm just saying intent does not always equal result.

If you enjoy watching the Olympics for the individuals, then that's fine...enjoy it that way. Most of the rest of the world indulges in a little national pride, and that's okay too. I don't really think there's a right or a wrong way here.

For the record, the official Olympic website does not include your ideal. It says that the motto is "Faster. Higher. Stronger." and the oath is about being good athletes without taking anything artificial.

ronwx5x
02-25-2010, 03:21 PM
Originally posted by BullsFan
I certainly did read the ideal. The ideal of communism is equality for all, but that's not always how it works. And no, I am NOT equating the Olympics with communism, I'm just saying intent does not always equal result.

If you enjoy watching the Olympics for the individuals, then that's fine...enjoy it that way. Most of the rest of the world indulges in a little national pride, and that's okay too. I don't really think there's a right or a wrong way here.

For the record, the official Olympic website does not include your ideal. It says that the motto is "Faster. Higher. Stronger." and the oath is about being good athletes without taking anything artificial.

From the official site of The Olympic Organizing Committee.

http://www.olympic.org/Documents/olympic_charter_en.pdf

Item 6 Page 20

"6 Olympic Games*.

1. The Olympic Games are competitions between athletes in individual or team events and not between countries. They bring together the athletes selected by their respective NOCs, whose entries have been accepted by the IOC. They compete under the technical direction of the IFs concerned."

Again, an ideal, and not necessarily what is extant. Also not my definition, but that of the Olympic Charter.

Reds fan
02-25-2010, 03:32 PM
Germany 8 11 7 --26
Norway 7 6 6 --19
Canada 7 6 2 --15

Germany gains another medal in their Blitzkrieg!

Norway also posts another!

Come on USA!!!!:cheerl: We must answer the this offensive!

Phil C
02-25-2010, 03:48 PM
Germany 8 11 7 --26
Norway 7 6 6 --19
Canada 7 6 2 --15

Germany gains another medal in their Blitzkrieg!

Norway aslo posts another!

Come on USA!!!!:cheerl: We must answer the this offensive!

Alarming indeed! GO USA! Get some more medals!

BullsFan
02-25-2010, 05:18 PM

Item 6 Page 20

"6 Olympic Games*.

1. The Olympic Games are competitions between athletes in individual or team events and not between countries. They bring together the athletes selected by their respective NOCs, whose entries have been accepted by the IOC. They compete under the technical direction of the IFs concerned."

Again, an ideal, and not necessarily what is extant. Also not my definition, but that of the Olympic Charter.

U S A!! U S A!!!

Phil C
02-25-2010, 05:49 PM
No matter what happens there has been great news in these Olympics for us.
http://sports.yahoo.com/olympics/vancouver/nordic_combined/news?slug=ap-nor-nordiccombined&prov=ap&type=lgns

PhiI C
02-25-2010, 08:04 PM
The USA has gained two more medals and now leads the Olympics at 30 to 26 over Germany. Way to go USA!

Let's keep those medals coming.

Tonight our Women's Hockey team will be fighting for the gold or silver as they face Canada in the Gold Medal Game.

PhiI C
02-25-2010, 08:16 PM
Unfortunately it looks like Canada is going to get the gold in Women's Hockey and we will get the silver which is still excellent as we get another medal.

PhiI C
02-25-2010, 08:57 PM
The top 5 teams now are as follows with medals disclosed after the name:

1. USA 31
2. Germany 26
3. Norway 19
4. Canada 16
5. Russia 13

SintonFan
02-25-2010, 09:22 PM
Go USA Go USA!!!!!!

PhiI C
02-25-2010, 10:57 PM
The USA got another one and now we have 32!!! Great news indeed! Still three days left though so we must continue.

GO USA!

Reds fan
02-25-2010, 11:51 PM
The USA got another one and now we have 32!!! Great news indeed! Still three days left though so we must continue.

GO USA!

Yes we must continue! A constant vigil must be kept, never underestimate the Germans nor the Norwegians in these Winter Olympiads! And those Canucks are charged after hockey gold!

PhiI C
02-25-2010, 11:52 PM

Item 6 Page 20

"6 Olympic Games*.

That is a good point but still the media and everyone post total medals and keep reminding everyone of it. Beside each Country they list the total gold, silver and bronze and then the grand total. They list it by total medals regardless of who has the most gold medals. If a country has 31 bronze medals and not othters it will be listed ahead of a country that has 31 gold metals and no others. Common sense says that isn't right of course but that is what we have. It is done that way in both the summer and winter olympics so that is the scoring we go by.

Arguments can be made for other methods but they are not official. Even that one isn't official but that is the way the media does it.
In track and field when I competed in high school many years ago individual events for the first three places were 10, 8 and 6 points with teams events such as relays they counted twice as much. That may be a better system but it hasn't been adopted.

Until something better is done we will go with the flow so to speak.

PhiI C
02-25-2010, 11:54 PM
If we can have a good day tomorrow I think we will have a good chance to win the olympics. There are only 3 days left now and most events will be concluded by Saturday even though there are some on Sunday before the farewell celebrations.
Overall we had a good day today.

Keep it up USA! GO USA!

PhiI C
02-25-2010, 11:56 PM
Yes we must continue! A constant vigil must be kept, never underestimate the Germans nor the Norwegians in these Winter Olympiads! And those Canucks are charged after hockey gold!

Indeed yes Reds fan. We must keep fighting. It is getting close to the end but still many events left. We must not lose our composure. GO USA!

http://www.moviewavs.com/php/sounds/?id=gog&media=WAVS&type=Movies&movie=Old_School&quote=composure.txt&file=composure.wav

PhiI C
02-26-2010, 07:44 PM
Germany has gained one more on us. They have one more gold than us but we have them beat in silver and bronze so we still have first place. The standings as of now are:

1. USA 32
2. Germany 27
3. Norway 20
4. Canada 17
5. Tie at 15 each between Russia and Austria

What really hurts is that in her last event Vonn disqualifed and the German took the gold.

Reds fan
02-26-2010, 08:13 PM
Germany has gained one more on us. They have one more gold than us but we have them beat in silver and bronze so we still have first place. The standings as of now are:

1. USA 32
2. Germany 27
3. Norway 20
4. Canada 17
5. Tie at 15 each between Russia and Austria

What really hurts is that in her last event Vonn disqualifed and the German took the gold.

And we must remember that 4 man bobsled has yet to be decided and the Germans are known as the best sliders in the world! Oh woe is me!

SintonFan
02-26-2010, 09:30 PM
More Gold Medals!
Go USA Go USA Go USA!!!!!!!!

PhiI C
02-26-2010, 10:08 PM
And we must remember that 4 man bobsled has yet to be decided and the Germans are known as the best sliders in the world! Oh woe is me!

Most scary indeed. There are 86 events in the olympics and so far there have been 222 medals awarded out of 258 available leaving the final 36 to be decided tomorrow and Sunday and most of them will be decided tomorrow. We need to get our share of the 36 left to win it in 12 events.

GO USA!

PhiI C
02-26-2010, 10:37 PM
Canada and Germany lead us 9 gold medals to 9 as Canada wins a gold by default in speed racing. But we still lead overall but Canada has gained today. Right now the totals are:

1. USA 32
2. Germany 27
2 & 4 tie with Canada and Norway at 20.
5 & 6 tie with Russia and Austria at 15.

PhiI C
02-26-2010, 11:10 PM
The worse thing was that it was our own man that got disqualified and may have cost us a gold medal or at least a medal.

Some great news as we got another medal. One of our ladies got a silver and raced a great race just barely losing to the world champion. This finally gives us another one after a long dry day and we now have 33. She was great. I don't recall her name but she is young and was not favored to win. Good news indeed!

PhiI C
02-26-2010, 11:59 PM
I think the events are finished today. Right now the standings are:

1. USA 35
2. Germany 27
3. Canada 21
4. Norway 20
5. tie between Austria and Russia at 15 each.

The USA got another metal in speed racing and came in third to get a bronze. Unfortunately Canada got the gold but we still have a good lead over Canada.
Our snowboarding team was doing a great run but unfortunately crashed. Fortunately no one was hurt and they will still race tomorrow.
Canada's hockey team had a scare from Slavakia. They led 3 = 0 going into the third period but Slavakia scored two goals and in the last few minutes came close several times to getting a tie and OT but Canada hung on.

There are now 9 events left with 27 medals. I think several of them are team events so that eliminates possible medals to each country with one. I don't know how many individual events are left that would allow the Germans to gain on us with multiple medals though. Hopefully we can finish up with some medals tomorrow.

I think tomorow concludes 6 of the 9 events left and the other 3 on Sunday. The Gold Medal game in Men's hockey will be between the USA and Canada. Let's hope the USA can win. If they play well I think they have a chance even though Canada will be favored especially being the home team. Still that is a medal for us in that event in which Germany won't get one so we will get 35 medals for sure.

Overall the day ended good even though it could have been better.

Lets have a great Satuday USA and win the Hockey gold on Sunday!

GO USA!

SintonFan
02-27-2010, 12:04 AM
Gold Gold Gold!!!
USA USA USA!!!!!

Emerson1
02-27-2010, 02:31 AM

Then why even bother with doing national anthems or having players carry around the flag? After all according to you it's all about the individual and not representing your country.

PhiI C
02-27-2010, 01:17 PM
I guess they had already included that medal in the USA count because the total is sill 34 instead of 35.

PhiI C
02-27-2010, 04:02 PM
There hasn't been any change so I guess there are no finals. We need to get a few medals tonight. Germany and other countries are going to gain on us but we need a few to maintain and hold the lead. We are close to the end but it still isn't decided. I know we will get at least one more medal in hockey but we will need a few more to win the olympics. Come on USA! Don't let this opportunity get away!

PhiI C
02-27-2010, 05:37 PM
An update now as the USA gains another medal even though I don't know for what event. The top standings are as follows:

1. USA 35
2. Germany 27
3. Canada 22
4. Norway 21
5. Austira and Russia tied at 14 each.

there are still 20 medals to be given out and I know our hockey team will get one of them. I don't know how many are team events where a nation can only get 1 medal like in hockey. Hopefully we can hold on and win out even though some countries may have more gold than us but we will still win the totals.

This has been great no matter what happens. It used to be that the USA would never be in contention for winning it in the winter even though we did usually have some good indivduals and teams do great for us.

PhiI C
02-27-2010, 06:39 PM
An update now is in medals:

1. USA 35
2. Germany 28
3. Canada 23
4. Norway 21
5. Austria 16

Thare have been 244 passed out leaving 14 left. The USA will get at least one more. If my calculations are right Canada cannot catch us in total medals. Only German has a shot at catching us.
Come on USA! Hold them off!

PhiI C
02-27-2010, 06:43 PM
The link below is how the worldwide media scores the Olympics. It has always been done this way. They go by total medals. It isn't approved by the Olympic Committee but that is how it is done.

http://sports.yahoo.com/olympics/vancouver/medals;_ylt=Am0E2azYmaAAueJRNkSgjm59sbV_

PhiI C
02-27-2010, 11:19 PM
This was a nice one to win!

Way to Go USA!

One of the riders was from San Antonio and the other had played football at Nebraska about 7 years ago.

http://sports.yahoo.com/olympics/vancouver/bobsled/news;_ylt=AlmOE6qrl3_zykGrcnPHtdyNsbV_?slug=ap-bob-schuffenhauerdetained&prov=ap&type=lgns

PhiI C
02-27-2010, 11:28 PM
The last event of the day is on and it is the game for the bronze in Men's hockey and at the end of the second period Slavakia is ahead of Finland 3 to 1.

PhiI C
02-27-2010, 11:38 PM
We are going to win the 2010 Winter Olympics!

As I understand it there are only 2 finals tomorrow with two medals at the Men's Olympic Gold Medal game between the USA and Canada. The other finals are in skiing in the 50 m race for three other medals.

The USA has tied for the most medals won at a Winter Olympics with 36 and will get at least one more medal in the Hockey game so we will set the records.

All this is based on my understanding of what is left and my math both of which may be faulty but I think we have cinched it.

We are 8 ahead of Germany and 11 ahead of Canada so they can't catch us in the totals. :)

If we give gold 3 points and silver 2 points and bronze 1 point then we would have 68 points to 59 points to Germany and 58 points to Canada. No combination of all available medals would allow Germany or Canada to catch us.
If we were also to give 10 points for gold, 8 points for silver and 6 points for bronze like high school track we would have 280 points and Germany would have 238 points and Canada would have 216 and neither one of them could catch us with this method.

Great news indeed! We will see if I am correct.

PhiI C
02-27-2010, 11:40 PM
It would still be nice to get the gold in hockey tomorrow. It starts at 2 P.M. tomorrow (Sunday) on NBC.

turbostud
02-28-2010, 12:03 AM
Hey Phil, I didnt know there was a 50m ski race. That must be the shortest ski race in Olympic history.

We are going to win the 2010 Winter Olympics!

As I understand it there are only 2 finals tomorrow with two medals at the Men's Olympic Gold Medal game between the USA and Canada. The other finals are in skiing in the 50 m race for three other medals.

The USA has tied for the most medals won at a Winter Olympics with 36 and will get at least one more medal in the Hockey game so we will set the records.

All this is based on my understanding of what is left and my math both of which may be faulty but I think we have cinched it.

We are 8 ahead of Germany and 11 ahead of Canada so they can't catch us in the totals. :)

If we give gold 3 points and silver 2 points and bronze 1 point then we would have 68 points to 59 points to Germany and 58 points to Canada. No combination of all available medals would allow Germany or Canada to catch us.
If we were also to give 10 points for gold, 8 points for silver and 6 points for bronze like high school track we would have 280 points and Germany would have 238 points and Canada would have 216 and neither one of them could catch us with this method.

Great news indeed! We will see if I am correct.

PhiI C
02-28-2010, 03:08 PM
Originally posted by turbostud
Hey Phil, I didnt know there was a 50m ski race. That must be the shortest ski race in Olympic history.

I didn't know what it was either turbo. I found out that it was actually a 50 kg marathon skiing race which is about 31 1/2 miles. They should have had the kg in the title so we could have known. 50 m would have been a short one. :)

Anyway the event is over and the winner was from Norway with 2nd place to a German and third place to a skier from Sweden.

PhiI C
02-28-2010, 06:08 PM
It is over! Below is the final official count. The USA wins the olympics. Even if we went by the two points suggestions it would still be in the same order as shown. Way to go USA!

http://sports.yahoo.com/olympics/vancouver/medals;_ylt=Am0E2azYmaAAueJRNkSgjm59sbV_

PhiI C
02-28-2010, 06:17 PM
HOW ABOUT OUR OLYMPIC TEAM USA WINNING THE 2010 OLYMPICS WITH A RECORD 37 MEDALS!!
BEST WINTER OLYMPICS WE EVER HAD!!

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

coach
02-28-2010, 06:20 PM
im a little dissapointed...we didnt win the gold medal count and we are expected to get a lot of medals when we have over 200 people participating...

ronwx5x
02-28-2010, 07:27 PM
HOW ABOUT OUR OLYMPIC TEAM USA WINNING THE 2010 OLYMPICS WITH A RECORD 37 MEDALS!!
BEST WINTER OLYMPICS WE EVER HAD!!

Let's see that big ol' team trophy!!!:doh:

TexMike
02-28-2010, 07:51 PM
I'd rather have people there who are proud to represent their country than the "me-me" types who disrespect the flag and the anthem

PhiI C
02-28-2010, 08:10 PM
Here is the final official count.

HOW ABOUT THEM AMERICANS!

http://sports.yahoo.com/olympics/vancouver/medals;_ylt=Am0E2azYmaAAueJRNkSgjm6AsbV_

ronwx5x
02-28-2010, 08:25 PM
Originally posted by TexMike
I'd rather have people there who are proud to represent their country than the "me-me" types who disrespect the flag and the anthem

Anyone particular in mind? Seemed like a pretty nice group of people overall.

TexMike
02-28-2010, 08:30 PM
Take your pick:

Shani Davis www.nbcolympics.com/video/assetid=004c94f9-58c5-474b-b743-584fee9a06ff.html#speed+skating+mens+1000m+medal+c eremony

Shaun White: www.nbcolympics.com/video/assetid=712f83b2-a25a-4dcf-898d-f9b3922fc33c.html#medal+ceremony+mens+halfpipe

Seth Wescott: www.nbcolympics.com/video/assetid=7d064419-10ab-44bc-9a35-993dc9491193.html#medal+ceremony+mens+snowboard+cr oss

Hannah Kearney: www.nbcolympics.com/video/assetid=c6a779aa-3dee-4d9a-9dd5-6458ad7baf2b.html#medal+ceremony+womens+moguls

ronwx5x
02-28-2010, 08:33 PM
Take your pick:

Shani Davis

Shaun White: http://www.nbcolympics.com/video/as...y+mens+halfpipe

Seth Wescott:
http://www.nbcolympics.com/video/as...snowboard+cross

Hannah Kearney:

http://www.nbcolympics.com/video/as...y+womens+moguls

All three links lead to not available.

TexMike
02-28-2010, 08:36 PM
They must have taken them down. NBC had links of all the medal ceremonies and I had posted those 3 earlier. I will look for the updated links and edit my post

PhiI C
02-28-2010, 09:10 PM
They must have taken them down. NBC had links of all the medal ceremonies and I had posted those 3 earlier. I will look for the updated links and edit my post

Thank you Tex! Please keep them coming.

Green Bling
02-28-2010, 09:21 PM
I thought our men and women acquitted themselves very well. They competed with grace and respect for their competitors. Very proud of our team!!

Phil C
03-01-2010, 04:22 PM
Aren't you all glad we won the Olympics with a record setting 37 medals?

This is the first time we have ever won the winter olympics. We have had great individuals and teams but this was a first winning the overall. Great complishment indeed! I am so happy!

TexMike
03-02-2010, 06:03 AM
Would have been better if all those who reached the top step would have been as proud of their country as so many of their countrymen were of them.

Phil C
03-02-2010, 09:31 AM
Would have been better if all those who reached the top step would have been as proud of their country as so many of their countrymen were of them.

Tex I think the problem was that some of the Russians are not happy with their sports coaches.

Phil C
03-02-2010, 02:41 PM

3afan
03-02-2010, 03:34 PM
re the talk of judging an athlete's patriotism based on how they react at the playing of the national anthem ....... I think its unfair to judge them when minutes before they competed in something they trained many years for and they finally accomplished their goals ... the emotions they are going through is probably almost too much to bear, they're lucky they can stand on the podium at all

I say give 'em a break ....

BullsFan
03-02-2010, 04:01 PM
Originally posted by 3afan
re the talk of judging an athlete's patriotism based on how they react at the playing of the national anthem ....... I think its unfair to judge them when minutes before they competed in something they trained many years for and they finally accomplished their goals ... the emotions they are going through is probably almost too much to bear, they're lucky they can stand on the podium at all

I say give 'em a break ....

Couldn't agree more!

Txbroadcaster
03-02-2010, 07:58 PM
Take your pick:

Shani Davis www.nbcolympics.com/video/assetid=004c94f9-58c5-474b-b743-584fee9a06ff.html#speed+skating+mens+1000m+medal+c eremony

Shaun White: www.nbcolympics.com/video/assetid=712f83b2-a25a-4dcf-898d-f9b3922fc33c.html#medal+ceremony+mens+halfpipe

Seth Wescott: www.nbcolympics.com/video/assetid=7d064419-10ab-44bc-9a35-993dc9491193.html#medal+ceremony+mens+snowboard+cr oss

Hannah Kearney: www.nbcolympics.com/video/assetid=c6a779aa-3dee-4d9a-9dd5-6458ad7baf2b.html#medal+ceremony+womens+moguls

What exactly did they do you hate? Davis is the only one imo that seemed to be like whatever..but Shaun White imo showed great respect except he was ENJOYING THE MOMENT with smiles and laughter..HOW DARE HIM!

TexMike
03-03-2010, 06:00 AM
It is what they did NOT do.

Phil C
03-03-2010, 03:41 PM
It is what they did NOT do.

:confused:

TexMike
03-03-2010, 05:30 PM
:confused:

My thoughts also when I saw them up on the top step, knowing full well how much they had been subsidized by the USOC and other US entities to allow them the freedom to train and prepare for their sport, yet they felt no need to display the appropriate respect to our flag or anthem

Phil C
03-03-2010, 05:42 PM
My thoughts also when I saw them up on the top step, knowing full well how much they had been subsidized by the USOC and other US entities to allow them the freedom to train and prepare for their sport, yet they felt no need to display the appropriate respect to our flag or anthem

:(

Phil C
03-04-2010, 10:53 AM
A great sporting event indeed! Now on to South Africa!

turbostud
03-04-2010, 03:52 PM
A great sporting event indeed! Now on to South Africa!
And to France for the Tour de France. I cant wait!

Txbroadcaster
03-05-2010, 01:12 AM

again..I dont begrudge people who are in what might be either the greatest moment of their life or at least a top3 moment in their life NOT following every "rule"

Old Tiger
03-05-2010, 01:32 AM
My thoughts also when I saw them up on the top step, knowing full well how much they had been subsidized by the USOC and other US entities to allow them the freedom to train and prepare for their sport, yet they felt no need to display the appropriate respect to our flag or anthem You know who I blame....that Obama guy!

On a serious note why are you so pissed off at people living the American dream where you can do and achieve anything from nothing. Give it a rest already dude its not a big deal.