PDA

View Full Version : Astros

Daddy D 11
02-20-2010, 12:28 PM
dumb move (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=4930680)

catgut
02-20-2010, 03:46 PM
No, that's an EXTREMELY IDIOTIC DUMB move! He's already managed to take a good team down to below average.

zebrablue2
02-20-2010, 04:36 PM
may work out about 2013, like with the phillies. after he leaves in 2013, maybe we can win the world series...:D

JasperDog94
02-20-2010, 05:25 PM
Astros are still recovering from the mistake known as Tim Purpura.

Daddy D 11
02-20-2010, 06:55 PM
He guides you to two horrible seasons, the second one worse than the first and you give him an extension? Jesus.

jdawg2012
02-20-2010, 07:15 PM
Originally posted by zebrablue2
may work out about 2013, like with the phillies. after he leaves in 2013, maybe we can win the world series...:D

agreed

Astrosdawg07
02-20-2010, 11:44 PM
I like this move, he is doing wonders for the farm system. He wasn't expected to do anything w/ the talent he had the past two years.

big daddy russ
02-21-2010, 01:42 AM
Originally posted by Astrosdawg07
I like this move, he is doing wonders for the farm system. He wasn't expected to do anything w/ the talent he had the past two years.
I love that, but I'm still not on board with him. You're right about the farm system, and he's starting drafting kids that we can actually sign (like Jason Castro), but I can't see a plan in action.

With Wade, I can't figure out if he's focused on the big league club or the farm system, but he's not really building either one at an acceptable level IMO. The farm system has improved, but there was no other direction to go. Meanwhile, the big league club has tailed off.

And it wouldn't be a big deal that the Astros have regressed if I saw him making efforts to either keep them competitive or move some pieces for some prospects, but he held on to a flawed major league club for too long.

I think he could've got something, anything for Miguel Tejada. And I think Oswalt should go to a contender while we can still get some value for him (he's said he's going to retire after the 2011 season).

Then again, if I was the GM I'd wait 'till the trade deadline and offer up everyone except Hunter Pence, JR Towles, and Michael Bourne for some youngsters.

I guess this is my long-winded way of saying that I don't see our farm system as being good enough to turn our pro team into a competitor anytime soon. Which is why I also say that Ed Wade doesn't seem to have a coherent plan.

SWMustang
02-21-2010, 07:27 AM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
I love that, but I'm still not on board with him. You're right about the farm system, and he's starting drafting kids that we can actually sign (like Jason Castro), but I can't see a plan in action.

With Wade, I can't figure out if he's focused on the big league club or the farm system, but he's not really building either one at an acceptable level IMO. The farm system has improved, but there was no other direction to go. Meanwhile, the big league club has tailed off.

And it wouldn't be a big deal that the Astros have regressed if I saw him making efforts to either keep them competitive or move some pieces for some prospects, but he held on to a flawed major league club for too long.

I think he could've got something, anything for Miguel Tejada. And I think Oswalt should go to a contender while we can still get some value for him (he's said he's going to retire after the 2011 season).

Then again, if I was the GM I'd wait 'till the trade deadline and offer up everyone except Hunter Pence, JR Towles, and Michael Bourne for some youngsters.

I guess this is my long-winded way of saying that I don't see our farm system as being good enough to turn our pro team into a competitor anytime soon. Which is why I also say that Ed Wade doesn't seem to have a coherent plan.

That's been my beef the last two years. If the best you can do is sub .500, they need to ditch players for prospects. Obviously they can't just spend like the yankees so it has to be organic.

Keith7
02-21-2010, 02:09 PM
It doesn't matter. The asstros will always be 2nd best in Texas as long as the Rangers are around

catgut
02-21-2010, 09:20 PM
Originally posted by Keith7
It doesn't matter. The asstros will always be 2nd best in Texas as long as the Rangers are around
Rangers? Is that the Texas team that's never been to a World Series?

Keith7
02-21-2010, 09:22 PM
Originally posted by catgut
Rangers? Is that the Texas team that's never been to a World Series?

Astros? Is that the team that hasn't had the Silver Boot in 4 years?

Daddy D 11
02-21-2010, 10:04 PM
they both suck, at least the Rangers have a killer farm system

catgut
02-22-2010, 07:04 AM
Astros? Is that the team that hasn't had the Silver Boot in 4 years?
LOL...ask any baseball fan anywhere what the World Series is and of course they know. Ask about the Silver Boot and 99 percent will have no idea what it is.

catgut
02-22-2010, 07:06 AM
Originally posted by Daddy D 11
they both suck, at least the Rangers have a killer farm system
I agree the Astros suck and they got this way after hiring Wade. Compare the pitching staff that was there when he came and the pitching staff they had last season.

JasperDog94
02-22-2010, 11:46 AM
I agree the Astros suck and they got this way after hiring Wade. Compare the pitching staff that was there when he came and the pitching staff they had last season. If you think Wade did this to our farm system, then you know nothing about the history of the Astros. Tim Purpura was the cause of the collapse of our farm system. Wade is trying to make it better, but that takes time. Will he be able to do it? I'm not sure one way or the other, but to blame our current predicament on Wade is erroneous.

Keith7
02-22-2010, 01:54 PM
LOL...ask any baseball fan anywhere what the World Series is and of course they know. Ask about the Silver Boot and 99 percent will have no idea what it is.

Oh of course! I forgot asstros fans are so caught up on the world series thing because they have so many world series trophies.. How many do you guys have again??

SWMustang
02-22-2010, 02:26 PM
Oh of course! I forgot asstros fans are so caught up on the world series thing because they have so many world series trophies.. How many do you guys have again??

the same could be said of you and that Silver Boot obsession. While we're at it, how many World Series appearances have the Rangers made?

Keith7
02-22-2010, 04:25 PM
Originally posted by SWMustang
the same could be said of you and that Silver Boot obsession. While we're at it, how many World Series appearances have the Rangers made?

Oh appearances are what the asstros strive for? so sad

goosealaniz
02-22-2010, 04:29 PM
Oh appearances are what the asstros strive for? so sad

and the silver boot is what the rangers strive for... if i remember correctly... world series is the championship right?... and the silver boot isnt

catgut
02-22-2010, 04:30 PM
Originally posted by JasperDog94
If you think Wade did this to our farm system, then you know nothing about the history of the Astros. Tim Purpura was the cause of the collapse of our farm system. Wade is trying to make it better, but that takes time. Will he be able to do it? I'm not sure one way or the other, but to blame our current predicament on Wade is erroneous.
I've probably been an Astros fan longer than anyone on this board so I do know about their history. Their farm system does suck and has for several years. They can sign some of the worst free agent pitchers of any team however.

Keith7
02-22-2010, 04:41 PM
Originally posted by goosealaniz
and the silver boot is what the rangers strive for... if i remember correctly... world series is the championship right?... and the silver boot isnt

The Silver Boot series is the championship of Texas, therefore making the asstros the worst mlb team in Texas for 4 years in a row

catgut
02-22-2010, 04:53 PM
The Silver Boot series is the championship of Texas, therefore making the asstros the worst mlb team in Texas for 4 years in a row
I'll bet you have a darn picture of that Silver Boot on your wall.

crzyjournalist03
02-22-2010, 05:08 PM

Ask any baseball fan anywhere in the world which team is better now and which team has the brighter future and of course 99 percent will say Texas Rangers.

The other 1 percent are Astros fans.

catgut
02-22-2010, 08:28 PM
This wasn't about which team is better. It was about giving Wade a two year extension.

Daddy D 11
02-22-2010, 08:56 PM
This wasn't about which team is better. It was about giving Wade a two year extension.

You're close. It was about giving Wade a two year extension and how that was a dumb move.

Keith7
02-22-2010, 09:25 PM

With a rivalry as heated as the Silver Boot series, how would you not expect this to go off topic?

Astrosdawg07
02-22-2010, 11:24 PM
Heated rivalry, now thats funny!

Keith7
02-22-2010, 11:25 PM
Heated rivalry, now thats funny!

Yea I guess to be a rivalry the asstros would have to win every now and then huh?

catgut
02-23-2010, 07:23 AM
Yea I guess to be a rivalry the asstros would have to win every now and then huh?
Perhaps you should check out the record since this series started...Texas has won a total of two games more than the Astros.

big daddy russ
02-24-2010, 03:55 PM
If you think Wade did this to our farm system, then you know nothing about the history of the Astros. Tim Purpura was the cause of the collapse of our farm system. Wade is trying to make it better, but that takes time. Will he be able to do it? I'm not sure one way or the other, but to blame our current predicament on Wade is erroneous.
Yeah, but Purp made no bones about trying to win now. He got to the WS on Gerry's roster and kept the team competitive for a few years, but ravaged the farm system to do it.

Still kinda iffy about this decision. I guess we'll see how it works out.

zebrablue2
02-24-2010, 07:11 PM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
Yeah, but Purp made no bones about trying to win now. He got to the WS on Gerry's roster and kept the team competitive for a few years, but ravaged the farm system to do it.

Still kinda iffy about this decision. I guess we'll see how it works out.

letting gerry go was the 1 big mistake DM made..

JasperDog94
02-25-2010, 11:47 AM
letting gerry go was the 1 big mistake DM made.. Agreed.

MUSTANG69
02-25-2010, 12:59 PM

I am a season ticketholder for the Corpus Christi Hooks. Honestly, it seems the quality of players we have had in CC the last couple of years has diminished significantly. (Jason Castro excepted). The rest of the farm system may be doing better but I don't think that is the case in Corpus Christi.

JasperDog94
02-25-2010, 02:46 PM
Originally posted by MUSTANG69
I am a season ticketholder for the Corpus Christi Hooks. Honestly, it seems the quality of players we have had in CC the last couple of years has diminished significantly. (Jason Castro excepted). The rest of the farm system may be doing better but I don't think that is the case in Corpus Christi. I saw an awesome Hooks jersey when my family and I were vacationing this past summer in Corpus. It was a replica of a rainbow Astros jersey except using different shades of blue for the Hooks. I went around town looking to buy one only to find out those were for a promotional giveaway night.:(

MUSTANG69
02-25-2010, 04:09 PM
I saw an awesome Hooks jersey when my family and I were vacationing this past summer in Corpus. It was a replica of a rainbow Astros jersey except using different shades of blue for the Hooks. I went around town looking to buy one only to find out those were for a promotional giveaway night.:(

Contact the Souvenir shop at Whataburger Field in CC. They might have some leftovers in there. (361-561-HOOK) The Hooks uniforms were voted the best in the Texas League and Whatabirger Field was voted the BEST venue in all minor league ball last year. At least that was what was announced at one of the games last year.

That being said, the Hooks still did not have that great of a team.

JasperDog94
02-25-2010, 09:46 PM
Originally posted by MUSTANG69
Contact the Souvenir shop at Whataburger Field in CC. They might have some leftovers in there. (361-561-HOOK) The Hooks uniforms were voted the best in the Texas League and Whatabirger Field was voted the BEST venue in all minor league ball last year. At least that was what was announced at one of the games last year.

That being said, the Hooks still did not have that great of a team. We went to a game and saw the jerseys there. That's when we went to the shop at Whataburger Field to see if they had any for sale. I was informed that those were a giveaway earlier in the season and that they were never for sale. We were quite bummed. I wanted to get one to wear to the Astros games this year. :D It was a perfect mix of Hooks and Astros.

You are correct about the stadium. I came away most impressed. The game we went to was almost sold out and the view of the bay was incredible. It's no wonder that it's one of the best minor league venues. Many major league teams would love to have that kind of site for a venue.

Maroon87
02-25-2010, 09:58 PM
letting gerry go was the 1 big mistake DM made..

I don't think DM had a choice...word was that Gerry got tired of DM's meddling and penny pinching.

That's what I heard....but when you think about it, the timing of his departure was weird, right when the team was poised for their WS run.

zebrablue2
02-25-2010, 10:19 PM
Originally posted by Maroon87
I don't think DM had a choice...word was that Gerry got tired of DM's meddling and penny pinching.

That's what I heard....but when you think about it, the timing of his departure was weird, right when the team was poised for their WS run.

:iagree: DM found out real soon(the hard way) u have to spend a little extra ( in the right areas) to get results. instead, he has spent a lot extra, and is getting nothing. oh I guess he is still turning a profit, but the fans are getting restless. in the mean time, Gerry has gone to florida (t-bay) and worked his magic. they are very on the way up, and should have a good season in 2010.. drayton has done some really good things in h-town. many yrs of comp. teams.. tough business, but Gerry was one of the best at making some great deals that made things happen.

Maroon87
02-26-2010, 01:05 AM
oh I guess he is still turning a profit, but the fans are getting restless.

LOL...so restless that after Opening Day they start showing up dressed as empty seats.:dispntd:

I hope this rebuilding of the farm system pays off like it did for Tampa in '08. They still have a ways to go...this year is about trying to lose less than 90 IMO.

carter08
02-26-2010, 01:19 AM
I hate to say this but:

trade Roy O at the deadline.
I'd say trade Berkman but no one's gonna want him.
I wouldn't mind trading Carlos Lee too.

All 3 have no trade clauses though. Berkman and Oswalt might waive theirs if it gets them a chance to win and helps Houston out. Lee won't waive his at all.

This team could have the worst record in the NL this year. Looking at the roster makes me cringe.

Maroon87
02-26-2010, 02:10 AM
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/justice/baseball/6886570.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+houstonchronicle%2Ftopheadlin es+%28chron.com+-+Top+Stories%29&utm_content=My+Yahoo