PDA

View Full Version : Josh Howard

eagles_victory
02-19-2010, 04:10 PM
ORLANDO, Fla. -- Forward Josh Howard missed a game because of a hangover, according to multiple team sources, adding to his list of questionable off-court conduct toward the end of his tenure with the Dallas Mavericks.

More on the Mavs
News, notes and analysis of the Mavericks from ESPNDallas.com's Jeff Caplan, Tim MacMahon and the rest of our team. Blog.

Multiple team sources said Howard missed the Mavericks' Jan. 20 win over the Washington Wizards because of a hangover after a night of partying.

Howard, who earlier refused comment, told ESPN 103.3 FM host Ben Rogers via text message that he was "not responding to a lie.. My lawyers ar taking action... Thanks.. That's a response."

That reaffirmed the Mavericks' intention to move forward without Howard, who did not start another game after sitting out against the Wizards, when he missed the morning shootaround and did not dress for that game. The Mavericks, who were already shopping Howard and wanted to protect his trade value, announced that he had a stomach illness.

Howard, who was traded to the Wizards last week as part of a seven-player deal that brought Caron Butler and Brendan Haywood to Dallas, told reporters after his Washington debut that he intended to "stick it to the Mavs."

Members of Dallas' front office stood behind Howard after a controversial stretch in 2008. Howard revealed in a radio interview during a playoff series against the New Orleans Hornets that he occasionally smoked *********. Days later, after a critical loss, Howard in the locker room passed out flyers to his birthday party, prompting then-coach Avery Johnson to cancel the next day's practice.

That summer, Howard was arrested in North Carolina for street racing. The incident was followed by a video surfacing of him disparaging the national anthem at a charity flag football game, with Howard saying, "I don't celebrate this [expletive]. I'm black."

Howard often clashed with Mavs coach Rick Carlisle over the last season and a half, although Carlisle has been nothing but complimentary of Howard before and since the trade. According to a source, Howard's diminished work ethic had become a problematic issue with players and coaches, which was one of the factors that led to the team's decision to trade him.

Howard had value to the cost-cutting Wizards because his contract, which includes a team option for $11.8 million for next season, is expiring.

waterboy
02-19-2010, 04:31 PM
Good riddance, in my opinion. I like this trade. Josh Howard hasn't been the same player over the last season and a half, and I think his personal issues contributed to that. Caron Butler and Brendan Heywood are both making immediate contributions, and brought some much needed athleticism and toughness. I think the Mavs will be much better over the coming weeks once these players learn the plays and get acclimated to their teammates.

crzyjournalist03
02-19-2010, 04:47 PM
Was the "m" word blocked out from the link or is that blocked here now?

Emerson1
02-19-2010, 04:48 PM
Originally posted by crzyjournalist03
It's blocked here. I've always wondered why that word is, but not cuss words.

crzyjournalist03
02-19-2010, 04:50 PM
Originally posted by Emerson1
It's blocked here. I've always wondered why that word is, but not cuss words.

has it always been that way? I've never noticed it before.

Sweetwater Red
02-19-2010, 04:51 PM

nvm. :doh:

crzyjournalist03
02-19-2010, 04:52 PM
Originally posted by Sweetwater Red
"m" word?:confused:

nvm x2

eagles_victory
02-19-2010, 04:52 PM
Why block it anyone with half a brain knows what it says?

crzyjournalist03
02-19-2010, 04:54 PM
Originally posted by eagles_victory
Why block it anyone with half a brain knows what it says?

the really interesting thing I just realized is that you can do a search for the word, and it brings up all the places on the board where it's blocked out with asterisks.

Also, perhaps they're trying to prevent those people who already lost half of their brain from thinking about losing the other half. :D

Sweetwater Red
02-19-2010, 04:55 PM
nvm x2

Sorry. I totally skipped over the asterisks the first time I read it.

Emerson1
02-19-2010, 04:56 PM
has it always been that way? I've never noticed it before.
I don't think so. Drug related words are all blocked out.

crzyjournalist03
02-19-2010, 04:57 PM
I don't think so. Drug related words are all blocked out.

weird...so the f-bomb that was posted yesterday slipped through, but the names of illegal materials are blocked...

Emerson1
02-19-2010, 04:58 PM
weird...so the f-bomb that was posted yesterday slipped through, but the names of illegal materials are blocked...
2 of them slipped through

waterboy
02-19-2010, 04:59 PM
You could've just put in maryjane.....:devil:

crzyjournalist03
02-19-2010, 05:01 PM
2 of them slipped through

what other words do you know of that are blocked? I've tried a few and they've all come back fine.

Emerson1
02-19-2010, 05:02 PM
what other words do you know of that are blocked? I've tried a few and they've all come back fine.

It's a type of drug

crzyjournalist03
02-19-2010, 05:03 PM

lol...umm...that doesn't help...

You have to give a hint of what the word is since obviously it's blocked.

waterboy
02-19-2010, 05:03 PM

:foul:

crzyjournalist03
02-19-2010, 05:07 PM

It's a type of drug

what letter does it start with?

waterboy
02-19-2010, 05:09 PM
what letter does it start with?
*!

:D

crzyjournalist03
02-19-2010, 05:11 PM
Originally posted by waterboy
*!:D

:foul: :redX:

well, at least I know the usual workaround for those types of words works.

NateDawg39
02-19-2010, 05:50 PM
lol I like how the entire thread basically is off the topic :D

crzyjournalist03
02-19-2010, 05:51 PM
Originally posted by NateDawg39

I actually think that it's sums up the spirit of Josh Howard's tenure with the Mavs perfectly! :devil:

Maroon87
02-19-2010, 06:20 PM
Originally posted by NateDawg39

Yeah...because some would rather gripe about the rules than discuss the posted topic.

My take is that if the Mavs got a ball rack for Howard, they got a steal.

TheDOCTORdre
02-19-2010, 09:35 PM
*insert random off topic post here*

Txbroadcaster
02-19-2010, 09:45 PM
If Josh was to see this thread he would get mad that the drug words cant be seen because then he cant find any new ones to try

coach
02-20-2010, 09:10 AM

It's a type of drug

what if i were to say crack kills

Emerson1
02-20-2010, 10:38 AM
lol...umm...that doesn't help...

You have to give a hint of what the word is since obviously it's blocked.
m