PDA

View Full Version : Anybody know what the punishment might be for...

Sweetwater Red
02-19-2010, 10:48 AM
Ignoring multiple summons for jury duty? :thinking:

Ranger Mom
02-19-2010, 10:49 AM
Originally posted by Sweetwater Red

LOL!! I just posted a link on your facebook!

I'm going.....I'm going!!!!!:eek: :eek:

GreenMonster
02-19-2010, 10:55 AM
I know that there was a big stink here a few years ago over a Judge issuing a warrant for the arrest of someone that skipped out on jury duty. Chick got 2 days in jail and a big fine. I think that was an exceptional penalty though and the judge was trying to make a point. It'd probably be worth it to just go ahead show up.

turbostud
02-19-2010, 10:55 AM

I wouldnt worry about it. I would just fly my plane into the court house.

Sweetwater Red
02-19-2010, 10:57 AM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
LOL!! I just posted a link on your facebook!

I'm going.....I'm going!!!!!:eek: :eek:

Hahaha! Yeah you might want to. :D

SintonPirateFan
02-19-2010, 11:13 AM
show up. and whatever the question asked you by the lawyer....answer with-- "i think a person like that should be locked up FOREVER. there is no place for that in today's society!!" try to get red-faced while you say it. you'll be excused soon enough.

NateDawg39
02-19-2010, 11:14 AM
Originally posted by turbostud
I wouldnt worry about it. I would just fly my plane into the court house. :doh: :thmbdwn: :tisk:

onsideanytime
02-19-2010, 11:46 AM
all you have to say is you did not receive it in the mail, they cant prove if you did or not

Ranger Mom
02-19-2010, 11:56 AM
Originally posted by onsideanytime
all you have to say is you did not receive it in the mail, they cant prove if you did or not

When I first got remarried, I was moving the last bit of stuff from my old house to my new house. I checked the mail for a final time and put the mail in the door pocket of my car. About 6 months later I was cleaning out the car to sell it and came across that mail....one was a jury summons. I freaked and called them, they told me not to worry about it, but there was a "no show" mark by my name.

A couple of years ago, my husband and I both got a jury summons....we were going on vacation and couldn't change it. When I got back, I wrote a letter explaining we were out of town on vacation at that time. I never heard back, but have always wondered...do I have a second "no show" mark by my name??

Do they have a 3 strikes and your out policy?? I don't wanna find out. I will just call at 5:30 this afternoon and see if I have to show up. If I do, I will just keep my fingers crossed that they don't chose me.

eagles_victory
02-19-2010, 11:59 AM
I cant wait for my first jury duty notice. It has always been my dream to serve on the jury.

Bearkat
02-19-2010, 12:03 PM
Originally posted by eagles_victory
I cant wait for my first jury duty notice. It has always been my dream to serve on the jury.

Oh man, watch what you ask for. I have been selected to a jury twice. One was a custody battle for a young child and one was a murder trial. (a police officer was killed by a drunk driver) Both were horrible and very emotional!!!

Ranger Mom
02-19-2010, 12:04 PM
Originally posted by eagles_victory

Wow!! You dream big, doncha??

eagles_victory
02-19-2010, 12:05 PM
Wow!! You dream big, doncha?? Indeed I do one of many of my dreams one is also to take your job as mod on this board.:D

waterboy
02-19-2010, 12:05 PM
I've only received a summons one time in my life. It turned out that the case was settled and that I didn't have to appear. That's good because I'm just a wee bit biased and opinionated, and would not be a good juror.....:devil: I know y'all will find that hard to believe, but it's true.....:D

Ranger Mom
02-19-2010, 12:07 PM
Originally posted by waterboy
I've only received a summons one time in my life. It turned out that the case was settled and that I didn't have to appear. That's good because I'm just a wee bit biased and opinionated, and would not be a good juror.....:devil: I know y'all will find that hard to believe, but it's true.....:D

This is gonna be my stand. "I believe everyone should get the death penalty, no matter the charge!!!"

Think that will get me dismissed??

Jailed maybe??:p

Green Bling
02-19-2010, 12:08 PM
There was a period of time that I received a summons about every 90 days. The sheriff was my neighbor and he couldn't believe I kept getting called. I think he let the court know I had done my share. The judge once called me to the bench because I said I didn't think I could be impartial as one of the lawyers in the case was my lawyer. He excused me, but he was ticked. I think jury duty is usually interesting, but I had to sit on a rape trial that was no fun at all.

Ranger Mom
02-19-2010, 12:10 PM
Originally posted by Green Bling
There was a period of time that I received a summons about every 90 days. The sheriff was my neighbor and he couldn't believe I kept getting called. I think he let the court know I had done my share. The judge once called me to the bench because I said I didn't think I could be impartial as one of the lawyers in the case was my lawyer. He excused me, but he was ticked. I think jury duty is usually interesting, but I had to sit on a rape trial that was no fun at all.

I don't think I would mind serving on a jury, but I planned on taking off a few days next week to help my daughter move to her new house!! I don't think the judge will accept that excuse!!:(

waterboy
02-19-2010, 12:14 PM
This is gonna be my stand. "I believe everyone should get the death penalty, no matter the charge!!!"

Think that will get me dismissed??

Jailed maybe??:p
:2thumbsup

As long as you ACT the part out innocently, you should not have to serve. Of course, you'll probably piss the judge off, but......as long as you're honest.......:devil:

bowleghorses
02-19-2010, 12:22 PM
I've been supoenaed for criminal trial a couple of times but when the defense attourney sees me sitting on the front row in my uniform, they usually don't keep me around very long. Especially when I have arrested his client.:D

Buckeye1980
02-19-2010, 12:57 PM
I have been summoned twice in the last year. I always go, but I never get picked, seems lawyers do not want a probation officer on a jury. \:rolleyes: I cannot for the life of me understand why. The DA never seems to have a problem , I know that because he tells me whenever we have lunch together ;)

Ranger Mom
02-19-2010, 01:01 PM
Originally posted by waterboy
:2thumbsup

As long as you ACT the part out innocently, you should not have to serve. Of course, you'll probably piss the judge off, but......as long as you're honest.......:devil:

I can play a "dumb innocent" better than an actual dumb innocent can!!:p :p

95mustang
02-19-2010, 01:06 PM
I can play a "dumb innocent" better than an actual dumb innocent can!!:p :p

play? :devil:

waterboy
02-19-2010, 01:08 PM
Originally posted by 95mustang
play? :devil:
:spitlol: ........:doh: .........:tisk: ..........:D

PPSTATEBOUND
02-19-2010, 01:14 PM
Was asked to show about 6 years ago...I wrote them back with a simple....

" I'm suffering with a bout of deep depression now and think I'm slightly insane"

I've never heard back...:D

STANG RED
02-19-2010, 01:18 PM
The last time I got called for jury duty, not enough showed up, so the judge sent the sherriff around to round up the no shows, but not until we had been there nearly all morning. He eventually let us go for lunch. They finally rounded up enough, but the case ended up being settled before the trial started. But none of that happened till we had wasted all day in the court room. I think I ended up getting a check for a whole $7 or something like that. I dont even know why they bother.
I wouldnt mind serving at all now. I'm on salary, and my company has a policy of paying fully while on jury duty, without losing any personal or vacation days. Wouldnt you know it, I havent been summoned in over 3 years now.:doh:

sinton66
02-19-2010, 06:41 PM

http://img4.imageshack.us/img4/2152/handcuffsa.jpg

PhiI C
02-19-2010, 06:52 PM
I was called to Federal Jury late last year and the case involved a person who was acused of smuggling illegal agents. I told them my late father was in the border patrol and got sent packing which was fine with me. :)

Sweetwater Red
02-19-2010, 07:02 PM
I have only been summoned to jury duty once. I have a co-worker that gets summoned
about once every six months. Apparently they draw names from a pool and they don't keep
track of how many times your name has been drawn. Luckily for me I was having my
gall bladder removed the next day. So, I got out of it easily.

sinton66
02-19-2010, 07:55 PM
The pool comes from the State Attorney General's office.

Trashman
02-19-2010, 07:58 PM
Just answer every question by saying "in accordance with the prophet...." :D

Trashman
02-19-2010, 08:02 PM
I have been called to jury duty one time. It involved a guy from Midland who was suing his realtor and the former property owner over a failed septic system at Lake Brownwood. :D

Sweetwater Red
02-19-2010, 08:07 PM
Originally posted by sinton66
The pool comes from the State Attorney General's office.

Who actually draws the names for jury duty? The State AG office or the county?

skins4life
02-19-2010, 08:37 PM

Please explain "Punishmeny", I can't find it in my Redskins' dictionary. :D :D

sinfan75
02-19-2010, 08:51 PM
Just go! It ain't that bad compared to the crap you gotta face for not goin which probably ain't bad either.

95mustang
02-19-2010, 08:54 PM
For some reason my name gets drawn alot. I am summoned about every 4 to 6 months, but due to my line of work I am usually or know someone who is usually involved in the case. I usually just walk in and spend about an hour or so there then get to leave.

skins4life
02-19-2010, 08:55 PM
Originally posted by sinfan75
Just go! It ain't that bad compared to the crap you gotta face for not goin which probably ain't bad either.

Can be though!! Contempt of court, 1000$ fine and 30 days in the slammer!! That's if the judge what's to!!

Phantom Stang
02-19-2010, 09:08 PM
Originally posted by skins4life
Please explain "Punishmeny", I can't find it in my Redskins' dictionary. :D :D
It's the art of punishment.
Doncha no nuthin?:p :D

skins4life
02-19-2010, 09:23 PM
Originally posted by Phantom Stang
It's the art of punishment.
Doncha no nuthin?:p :D

Had to ask.

If you say it just right, sounds like there's going to be a lot of people gettin whipped, caned or somethin' :D

sinton66
02-19-2010, 10:36 PM
Who actually draws the names for jury duty? The State AG office or the county?

County Clerk

injuredinmelee
02-20-2010, 06:44 AM
just keep asking what color the defendant is. When they start asking if your prejudice say no I hate everybody and I just wondered who I got to hate today. That always works.

Ranger Mom
02-20-2010, 11:08 PM
I called in and don't have to show up Monday, but have to call back in Monday after 5:00 to see if I have to show up Tuesday.