PDA

View Full Version : True Grit being remade...

big daddy russ
02-19-2010, 08:07 AM
Just saw that the Coen Brothers (Fargo, The Big Lebowski, O Brother Where Art Thou, No Country for Old Men, etc.) are doing a remake of the old John Wayne movie.

I wonder who could do justice for Rooster Cogburn? :thinking:

Either way, I'll be there.

Phantom Stang
02-19-2010, 10:06 AM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
Just saw that the Coen Brothers (Fargo, The Big Lebowski, O Brother Where Art Thou, No Country for Old Men, etc.) are doing a remake of the old John Wayne movie.

The roll of Rooster Cogburn will be played by Jeff Bridges.

waterboy
02-19-2010, 10:55 AM
I absolutely love Westerns. It's just that not many are made anymore, and when they are they're usually not as good as the old ones.

Phil C
02-19-2010, 11:00 AM
Jeff is a very good actor and I think even though he won't be the Duke he will still be able to do a good job. It is the Kim Darby role that I would be worried about because she was great in that movie and her performance was not as appreciated as it should have been. Glen Campbell was adequate as the Texas ranger but hopefully they can get someone who can do a good job in that role. It has the potential to be a good remake or a flop. We will see.

One thing for sure - Hollywood and TV sure have had problems coming up with original ideas lately.

waterboy
02-19-2010, 12:43 PM
You'd think they didn't know how to read, wouldn't you? Maybe a good Louis L'Amour book should be required reading.....

95mustang
02-19-2010, 05:46 PM
Originally posted by Phil C
Jeff is a very good actor and I think even though he won't be the Duke he will still be able to do a good job. It is the Kim Darby role that I would be worried about because she was great in that movie and her performance was not as appreciated as it should have been. Glen Campbell was adequate as the Texas ranger but hopefully they can get someone who can do a good job in that role. It has the potential to be a good remake or a flop. We will see.

One thing for sure - Hollywood and TV sure have had problems coming up with original ideas lately.

Looks like Matt Damon will be the Ranger. Don't know who will be Mattie Ross though.

NateDawg39
02-19-2010, 10:19 PM
I heard somewhere about that. I also heard they want to remake The Searchers which is my favorite John Wayne movie.

Old Dog
02-20-2010, 02:43 AM
The "Searchers" is my all time favorite western....period!

Pick6
02-20-2010, 12:41 PM

The shooting will be in New Mexico and around the Austin area. A friend of mine will be doing stunts in it.

BwdLion73
02-20-2010, 05:53 PM
Phil,I do not dislike Glen Cambell but it is funny watching him in that roll. He was not that good.

sinton66
02-20-2010, 07:51 PM
They'll get barbecued if the remake doesn't do the original justice.

NateDawg39
02-20-2010, 08:20 PM
Originally posted by sinton66
They'll get barbecued if the remake doesn't do the original justice. Somethin tells me it will not be as good as the original. But I enjoyed most of the films the brothers have made so who knows

Daddy D 11
02-22-2010, 02:57 PM
Can't redo John Waynes or Clint Eastwoods. Just can't be done.

Also, wasn't it Jeff Bridges that played Wild Bill Hickock in "Wild Bill" or something of that sort. If it is the same actor, True Grit is going to suck because he can't do a Western for the life of him.

95mustang
02-22-2010, 03:28 PM
They could have used Sam Elliot or Tom Selleck.

Daddy D 11
02-23-2010, 12:10 AM
Originally posted by 95mustang
They could have used Sam Elliot or Tom Selleck.

Yes, both would have been good choices. Robert Duval maybe?

NateDawg39
02-23-2010, 10:01 AM
Tommy Lee Jones?

waterboy
02-23-2010, 11:56 AM
Maybe even Russell Crowe. He did a good job in 3:10 to Yuma .

Maroon87
02-23-2010, 06:57 PM
Originally posted by Phantom Stang
The roll of Rooster Cogburn will be played by Jeff Bridges.

If you haven't seen Crazy Heart, do it. Bridges is pretty awesome in that movie.

Reds fan
02-24-2010, 11:41 AM
Originally posted by Daddy D 11
Yes, both would have been good choices. Robert Duval maybe?

Robert Duvall played the villain, Ned Pepper, in the 1969 movie. Would be interesting to see how they could fit in a role for him.

Phil C
02-24-2010, 02:42 PM
Originally posted by Reds fan
Robert Duvall played the villain, Ned Pepper, in the 1969 movie. Would be interesting to see how they could fit in a role for him.

Maybe he could play Judge Parker.

STANG RED
02-24-2010, 04:35 PM
This is a crazy idea! Why even attempt a remake of a movie like this? I can see remaking movies from the early days of film, where improvements could be made in color, sound, special effects, acting, and just the over all quality of the film, but this is not the case for True Grit. It will be a miserable disappointment, no matter what actors they use!

big daddy russ
02-24-2010, 05:26 PM
Originally posted by STANG RED
This is a crazy idea! Why even attempt a remake of a movie like this? I can see remaking movies from the early days of film, where improvements could be made in color, sound, special effects, acting, and just the over all quality of the film, but this is not the case for True Grit. It will be a miserable disappointment, no matter what actors they use!
I keep thinking that, and keep wondering how in the world Jeff Bridges is going to pull off a John Wayne role. And for some reason, I know I'll be there opening day. Maybe 3:10 to Yuma gave me too much hope, but I'm kinda excited.

On that note the only modern actor age 50 or less that can pull off a Western like some of the old-timers is Kevin Costner (he is younger than 50, right?... we'll just call him middle-aged).

STANG RED
02-25-2010, 10:59 PM
I keep thinking that, and keep wondering how in the world Jeff Bridges is going to pull off a John Wayne role. And for some reason, I know I'll be there opening day. Maybe 3:10 to Yuma gave me too much hope, but I'm kinda excited.

On that note the only modern actor age 50 or less that can pull off a Western like some of the old-timers is Kevin Costner (he is younger than 50, right?... we'll just call him middle-aged).

I also like Jeff Bridges, Kevin Costner, and many other actors out there today. And I know they are all capable of doing a great job in a western role. Great, let them make all the westerns they want. And I'm sure there are many that could be remade, and vastly improved. True Grit just isnt one of them. It's perfect the way it is, and any attempt at a remake is just a recipe for failure IMO. Just seems like a total waste of time and money, without an upside that I can see.

carter08
02-25-2010, 11:22 PM
Jeff Bridges can do anything.

waterboy
02-26-2010, 11:06 AM
I'm ready for one more Clint Eastwood western..........maybe a sequel to Josey Wales.:clap:

BwdLion73
02-26-2010, 09:52 PM
Originally posted by STANG RED
I also like Jeff Bridges, Kevin Costner, and many other actors out there today. And I know they are all capable of doing a great job in a western role. Great, let them make all the westerns they want. And I'm sure there are many that could be remade, and vastly improved. True Grit just isnt one of them. It's perfect the way it is, and any attempt at a remake is just a recipe for failure IMO. Just seems like a total waste of time and money, without an upside that I can see.

:iagree:

Trashman
02-26-2010, 10:24 PM
Just can't see Jeff Bridges making this work. I bet it will flop.....:(

STANG RED
02-27-2010, 12:16 PM
Originally posted by carter08
Jeff Bridges can do anything.

Except replace John Wayne! Which isnt a knock on him at all. Nobody else can replace the Duke either, and shouldnt be put in the position to even try.
True Grit aint broke, no need to fix it!!!

sinton66
02-28-2010, 12:16 PM

The best that Costner has done have been roles written specifically with him in mind (Dances with Wolves, Open Range). The same is true for the Duke. I personally think Hollyweird needs to concentrate on new stories and leave the classics alone. If this movie HAS to be remade, I think I'd rather see Sam Elliot in the role than Costner or Bridges.

Daddy D 11
02-28-2010, 04:05 PM
Originally posted by Trashman
Just can't see Jeff Bridges making this work. I bet it will flop.....:(

AGREED, Bridges BLOWS.

Pick6
02-28-2010, 07:48 PM
It's not like John Wayne was a great actor. He had one Academy award and it was more or less a sympathy award. With that being said True Grit was his best movie and I hate seeing it re-made.

big daddy russ
03-01-2010, 07:37 PM
The best that Costner has done have been roles written specifically with him in mind (Dances with Wolves, Open Range). The same is true for the Duke. I personally think Hollyweird needs to concentrate on new stories and leave the classics alone. If this movie HAS to be remade, I think I'd rather see Sam Elliot in the role than Costner or Bridges.
Yeah, but almost all Westerns are designed around the actors. Costner just fits the bill of a tough guy I could see running around in the old west.

Agreed on Sam Elliott.

Phantom Stang
03-04-2010, 02:57 PM
Originally posted by Pick6
It's not like John Wayne was a great actor. He had one Academy award and it was more or less a sympathy award.
That might be true, but John Wayne had so much of the "It Factor", that any other actor mentioned on this thread so far, would have looked like a "bit part player" while on the screen with him.

Trashman
03-06-2010, 09:36 AM

Amen!:clap:

BaseballUmp
03-10-2010, 07:05 PM
Just read in the local newspaper, that the small lake town of Granger will have alot of filming there.