PDA

View Full Version : Your greatest sports moment ever

BaseballUmp
02-18-2010, 03:17 PM
Reading some of these threads got me to thinking, what is the greatest sports moment of you life either personally or as a fan?

Personally for me would probably be beating Lufkin Hudson in Sam Houston my junior year in the 3rd or 4th round of the baseball playoffs. we were huge underdogs

As a fan would probably either be watching the Longhorns win the NC or the Red Sox winning the world series in 04

Green Bling
02-18-2010, 03:23 PM
Don't even have to think about this one! Greatest moment ever was winning the 2A State Championship game in Memorial Stadium, Donna Redskins vs Quanah Indians . We were the only Valley team to do so, and we still have that distinction. The field was so socked in that you couldn't see the opposite sideline. Right at kickoff you could actually see the fog rise and clear out. Surreal to say the least! Great experience for some small town kids.

3afan
02-18-2010, 03:24 PM
as a fan I'll have to think about it

personally, I guess it would be my senior year in HS ('76), varsity baseball, I hit 2 home runs in the same inning in the 2nd game of a double header in Lampasas, one of them was a grand slam ... thats actually a national HS record (2 in one inning by many) but mine was never turned in

NateDawg39
02-18-2010, 03:29 PM
Mine would be my freshman year when we played Bridgeport at Eagle Stadium. Our last game of the season and I had not caught a pass all year until that game. I caught 6 for 97 yards and a TD. :D
After that I developed a bone problem in my hip. Made me lose out on a lot of possibilities but that day sticks with me.

maroogreen
02-18-2010, 04:06 PM
The night that Mathis beat Gatesville in the semi-final game at Bobcat Stadium in San Marcos. My little brother had a great game that night and had the "hit of the Week" on the Fox high school sports show.

I've been to bigger and better events, but that one was special.

BullsFan
02-18-2010, 04:07 PM
I don't remember what year it was, but we beat Springtown the last game of the year to advance to the playoffs for the first time in decades. Springtown was so certain they were going to win that they'd already chartered buses and booked hotel rooms for their next game. We were all jumping around and screaming so much that the entire stands were literally vibrating.

As far as pro sports, either beating San Francisco in the NFC championship or winning the '92 Super Bowl. Those were both pretty sweet wins.

44INAROW
02-18-2010, 04:07 PM
Originally posted by maroogreen
The night that Mathis beat Gatesville in the semi-final game at Bobcat Stadium in San Marcos. My little brother had a great game that night and had the "hit of the Week" on the Fox high school sports show.

I've been to bigger and better events, but that one was special.

cool btw - check you PM's

STANG RED
02-18-2010, 04:18 PM
The day I beat Johnny "Ham" Jones in the 220 in 1974. :D

Did I mention he fell down, got back up and still finished first? But he was DQd for not staying in his lane. So the entire field can claim to beating him in that race.

LE Dad
02-18-2010, 04:49 PM
The 1999 LibertykEylau SC victory over Mathis. I entered the seating just as our QB went on a TD scamper for our first score in a 49-6 rout.

westtxfballfan
02-18-2010, 04:53 PM
I can hear Bruce Springsteen singing "Glory Days" in the background as I read these. :)

jason
02-18-2010, 05:00 PM
shooting under par for the first time...

i shot 71 (-1) on july 29, 2007 @ par country club in proctor, tx....

i shot 70 (-2) on july 12, 2009 @ legends country club in stephenville, tx....

still waiting on a hole-in-one though.....

Sweetwater Red
02-18-2010, 05:04 PM
Originally posted by jason

Who is better? You or Juggs?

jason
02-18-2010, 05:38 PM
Originally posted by Sweetwater Red
Who is better? You or Juggs? lol

i would play him anytime, anywhere, for any amount...

Green Bling
02-18-2010, 05:43 PM

Very impressive!! A hole-in-one would be great, but being able to break par is more useful overall. I'd kill to break par! Heck, I'd probably do something felonious to able to break 100!! Telling, isn't it?:D :D

Keith7
02-18-2010, 06:56 PM
I pitched a complete game in a win againt No. 6 state-ranked Celina my senior year and hit a home run against them (in seperate games).

Oh I also pee'd on their bench the night before a game once and spit on their football field before a game in front of a packed stadium (at 3 p.m. in the afternoon)

Sweetwater Red
02-18-2010, 07:01 PM
lol

i would play him anytime, anywhere, for any amount...

That's funny because he said the same thing about you when I was up there for the Trinity/Martin game. Of course this was before his New Year's Eve incident. Hmmm, maybe I need to help facilitate this match up. :thinking: :D

maroogreen
02-18-2010, 08:54 PM
Originally posted by LE Dad
The 1999 LibertykEylau SC victory over Mathis. I entered the seating just as our QB went on a TD scamper for our first score in a 49-6 rout.

Isn't that funny? Your greatest sports moment ranks as one of my WORST sports moments.,:(

WOS87
02-18-2010, 08:56 PM
The day I finally beat Sammy Giammalva in tennis when we were both at Rice back in the late '80's/early '90's

As a fan... obviously WO-S winning two consecutive football titles and making it to a third final in 3 years.

BullsFan
02-18-2010, 11:05 PM
Almost forgot--I saw Kenny Rogers pitch a perfect game at the Ballpark lo these many years ago. I still have my ticket stubs. It was AWESOME.

bobcat4life
02-18-2010, 11:18 PM
as a fan: watching Celina win the state title in 2007 or the Abilene-Ceder Hill game this past season.

personally: still playing but the VA game this past year or my 8th grade year when we beat Prosper to win the district title

Black Swarm
02-19-2010, 12:40 AM
Watching Argyle beat Prosper and Celina this year.

c-town_balla
02-19-2010, 12:47 AM
Being a member of the 2009 Texas Longhorns and the national championship game was pretty awsome.

In high school it would have to be beating Lufkin Hudson in baseball my sophomore year in the 4th round of the playoffs.

BaseballUmp
02-19-2010, 12:49 AM
Originally posted by c-town_balla
Being a member of the 2009 Texas Longhorns and the national championship game was pretty awsome.

In high school it would have to be beating Lufkin Hudson in baseball my sophomore year in the 4th round of the playoffs.

Thanks for the specific round lol...even tho they bombed my *** in game 2 haha

SWMustang
02-19-2010, 12:54 AM
A FEW HOURS AGO MY SON WON 1ST PLACE IN THE FIRST TRACK MEET OF THE YEAR IN THE 2400 METERS. That's probably my favorite sports moment ever.

poisoned10
02-19-2010, 10:10 AM
I have 3 that I can remember like it happened an hour ago. . .

#1 - My sophmore year baseball, 2000 season, we were playing Jefferson at home and I was playing right field. We were up 7-6 and they had runners at 2nd and 3rd with 2 outs in the top of the 7th. A kid hit a soft line drive into VERY shallow right center field and I made a diving, completely stretched out catch to end the game. The video of it that someone had looked awesome. I came into the screen mid-air.

#2 - My junior year baseball, we were playing state ranked Daingerfield at home and they jumped out to a 3-0 in the top of the 1st. We tied it in the bottom of the inning and then in the 3rd, started putting it on them. We had the bases loaded with 2 out and the kid hitting in front of my poped one up just out of the reach of the 1st baseman. Then I came up and got 2 quick strikes and on the 3rd pitch got a letter high fastball that went over our left field wall by about 2 feet for my 1st and only grand slam. We won 9-5.

#3 - My senior year baseball, 2002 season, we were playing Pleasant Grove in the 1st round of the playoffs and I was in center field. They had a runner at 2nd and a kid hit a deep fly ball to straight away center about 5 yards shy of the wall. Obviously the kid tagged up and I gunned him for a double play.

I will never forget any of those for as long as I live.

turbostud
02-19-2010, 11:04 AM
5th in state in 2a 3200 meter run and did it under 10 minutes.

nationalpastime
02-19-2010, 11:36 AM
i played left tackle and scored a touchdown in my 1st start on varsity (which was also homecoming).

jumping a weight class (2lbs) in powerlifting to advance to regionals and place 5th.

another one was winning conference twice in college.

lakers
02-19-2010, 11:56 AM
Personally:

Hitting 2 back-to-back three-run homeruns vs. Manahans in the playoffs. We were down in the series 0-1, both homers in game 2 won 14-4, game 3 won 8-6, eventually advanced to regionals where we got knocked off by Wylie :mad: in 2.

Fan:

Tech vs. Texas, Crabtree's game winning TD. Sat front row in the grass behind the north endzone and eventually got to rush the field.

Black_Magic
02-19-2010, 12:12 PM
The day I beat Muhamed Ali on November 8th 1972 in the DQ parking lot in Paducha TX. The pot hole in the middle of the parking lot made it hard for him to dance like a butterfly

Maroon87
02-19-2010, 12:29 PM
In a Pony league playoff game in the early 80's, I came in to pitch in the late innings with our team down by a run. I retired the side in order, then in our next at bat I hit a bases loaded triple to give us the lead, then got the final 3 outs the next inning to end the game.

So in essence I was the winning pitcher, drove in the winning runs, and got the save.:cool:

PPSTATEBOUND
02-19-2010, 01:18 PM
Winning the ESPN 2k5 superbowl on hall of fame mode....:eek: :eek:

Daddy D 11
02-19-2010, 01:26 PM
Went head to head with Shelby Miller my Junior year in Brownwoood and beat him. Got the scorecard to prove it too lol It's kind of cool, considering he went 19th overall in the draft, cool to tell my kids I guess.

I had 15 K's and threw a 1 hitter. Only hit and only person to get on base was a homerun :eek: LOL

Think we won 4-1.

rojosgirl
02-19-2010, 02:28 PM
Pretty easy -- 26 rebounds in one basketball game. Back in the day when we played "half-court" and my boards came from the defensive end only.

Also, when my nephew high jumped 7-7 to win the 2008 NCAA Division 1 Indoor National Championship. Very exciting and emotional!

rojosgirl
02-19-2010, 02:35 PM
By the way, GO-BIG-RED!

bandera7
02-19-2010, 03:43 PM
I had to think, but Im pretty sure mine came in soccer my senior year. We were in a gross district, with Boerne, Dripping Springs, Alamo Heights, NB Canyon, New Braunfels, Wimberley, Tivy, Fredericksburg, and Bandera. We were playing Heights in Bandera, and we have never beaten them in our schools history. I had 12 or 13 saves, and we won 1-0. I can still feel that. And to make it even better, their coach was going crazy the entire game.

I feel like that one happened yesterday. I had a few double saves, and at the time I believe Heights was second in district, tied with Boerne, only behind #2 ranked Drip.

LH Panther Mom
02-20-2010, 08:39 AM
Originally posted by Black_Magic
The day I beat Muhamed Ali on November 8th 1972 in the DQ parking lot in Paducha TX. The pot hole in the middle of the parking lot made it hard for him to dance like a butterfly
Is Paducha anywhere close to Matadro? :p

RiverRat19
02-20-2010, 10:52 AM
Originally posted by Keith7
Oh I also pee'd on their bench the night before a game once and spit on their football field before a game in front of a packed stadium (at 3 p.m. in the afternoon)

Stay classy...

OLE'BULL
02-20-2010, 01:26 PM
Beating Marlin in triple OT in the 2002 playoffs, even though I had to watch from the sideline with an injury. Also, beating Burnet in the 2001 playoffs with a goal line stand resulting in us recovering a fumble with a few seconds left

Trashman
02-20-2010, 08:46 PM
Won the Hill Country Relays mile run with a time of 4:27 my junior year.:D

skins4life
02-20-2010, 09:25 PM
Setting in the bleachers and watching my boys in whatever they were doing.

YTBulldogs
02-21-2010, 12:01 PM
USA Men's Hockey defeating Russia in 1980, 4-3 in Olympics semi's, at Lake Placid--then went on to beat Finland 4-2 to capture the Gold.

GreenMonster
02-21-2010, 01:01 PM
Going to the Semi-Finals in baseball in 1993. We were outmatched when we got there by Bellville who went on to the title but it was a great run. Took a 13 inning marathon in Bi-District, a diving catch to beat #1 ranked Canyon in Area, a triple play against Abilene Wylie in the Regional Semi-Final, and a win over our district rival Graham (who had already beaten us 3 times) in the Region 1 title game to get there. I guess we just used up all of our magic on the way.

sinton66
02-21-2010, 01:19 PM
For me, it was watching Vince Young and UT beat the "BEST college team ever" for the National Championship.

GreenMonster
02-21-2010, 04:56 PM
My greatest spectator sports moment would have to be this year's Michael Phelps/Subway commercial with him swimming to the WINTER Olympics. Haha, that one didn't run too many times before the Subway people realized that there are no swimming events at the WINTER Olympics and the commercial made no sense whatsoever. Way to go Subway for totally screwing up your opportunity to cash in on the Olmpics again!

BaseballUmp
02-21-2010, 05:15 PM
Originally posted by GreenMonster
My greatest spectator sports moment would have to be this year's Michael Phelps/Subway commercial with him swimming to the WINTER Olympics. Haha, that one didn't run too many times before the Subway people realized that there are no swimming events at the WINTER Olympics and the commercial made no sense whatsoever. Way to go Subway for totally screwing up your opportunity to cash in on the Olmpics again!

I'm glad I'm not the only one that thought that commercial was ridiculous lol

Rabid Cougar
02-21-2010, 05:21 PM
1. High School
1978 Freshman year catching the winning TD pass to beat Rockdale in Rockdale.
1981 Beating Austin Westlake in Austin 28-10
1981 Beating Newton on first downs 18-13
1981 Beating Gilmer in the 3 A State Championship in Baylor Stadium
1981 running a 48.9 in the 400 meters at Distirct Track meet.

2. College
Making the 12th Man Kick Off team 3 years..
Playing in Death Valley
Beating Texas in Memorial Stadium.
Playing in the Cotton Bowl TWICE! (Seeing Bo Jackson up close and personnal)

3. Dad.
China Spring vs Lavega Regional Finals at Baylor Stadium and my olsest son making "The HIT!" on LV running back.
Oldest son qualifying for State three years in a row in Track..
Anytime youngest son playes baseball.

eagles_victory
02-21-2010, 05:40 PM
Originally posted by Rabid Cougar

3. Dad.
China Spring vs Lavega Regional Finals at Baylor Stadium and my olsest son making "The HIT!" on LV running back.
ll. I remember that hit very well. I would be proud of that as well.

coachc45
02-21-2010, 10:08 PM
Playing: My senior year--Winning the 3A State Championship in 1985 vs Cuero.

Fan-- Watching Daingerfield end the "STREAK" in Garland vs. Celina. Sitting with my buddy "Coachkiss" and making him sit on Daingerfield side wearing his Orange and White. So much fun!!!

Coach -- This season.... My sons playing side by side at Defensive tackle. Both breaking through at same time and stuffing the RB from Athens for -2. Proud "DAD" moment.

Highschoolfan78
02-22-2010, 12:23 AM
Personally, winning my first varsity doubles tennis tournament after almost losing the first round 9-8 (7-5 tie breaker) and in the finals going 1-6, 7-6, 7-5.