PDA

View Full Version : Nuclear Power

Bullaholic
02-17-2010, 04:09 PM
Looks like a good "N" word--Nuclear power generation may be having a resurgence of interest in the United States. What are your thoughts?

http://www.cnn.com/2010/TECH/02/17/bill.gates.nuclear/index.html?hpt=C1

waterboy
02-17-2010, 04:12 PM
Solar and wind power are better and safer alternatives, but the technology and cost effectiveness of those types is not feasible yet....

Bullaholic
02-17-2010, 04:15 PM
Originally posted by waterboy
Solar and wind power are better and safer alternatives, but the technology and cost effectiveness of those types is not feasible yet....

I agree---but I think the nuclear safety record of countries largely relying on nuclear power like France has been impressive so far.

ronwx5x
02-17-2010, 04:24 PM
Seems the only countries with big problems have been Russia and the USA. I thought the biggest drawback with nuclear power was what to do with the spent fuel. A larger problem even than safety.

If we can figure out the problems of safety and disposal, it seems to me a terrific alternative, but to ensure safety may require more dollars than the power we receive. Just my thoughts.

Bullaholic
02-17-2010, 04:30 PM
Originally posted by ronwx5x
Seems the only countries with big problems have been Russia and the USA. I thought the biggest drawback with nuclear power was what to do with the spent fuel. A larger problem even than safety.

If we can figure out the problems of safety and disposal, it seems to me a terrific alternative, but to ensure safety may require more dollars than the power we receive. Just my thoughts.

I think the use of re-cycled nuclear waste by the new technology discussed in the article will largely handle the disposal issue, or at least diminish the problem significantly, ron...

BILLYFRED0000
02-17-2010, 05:13 PM
Nuclear is a lot safer than most people realize. The navy has been running multiple small reactors for 50 years. Every major sub and carrier is nuclear. Most of the newest cruisers are.
Pretty impressive safety record.

bigwood33
02-17-2010, 05:20 PM
I wish we had one in our district...the money is great! Just ask Glen Rose.

Trashman
02-17-2010, 07:25 PM
I remember 3 mile Island and chernoble. I think that nuclear power is generally a safe form of energy. I live about 90 miles from Glen Rose and would not mind if they built one on top of Stephenville. :D

sinton66
02-17-2010, 07:28 PM
Originally posted by ronwx5x

What to do with the waste is the big concern. When more were being proposed to be built up north, that question was asked. Do you lnow what the answer was? "BURY IT IN WEST TEXAS!" I had a different solution to what they could do with it.

DDBooger
02-17-2010, 07:30 PM
Originally posted by sinton66
What to do with the waste is the big concern. When more were being proposed to be built up north, that question was asked. Do you lnow what the answer was? "BURY IT IN WEST TEXAS!" I had a different solution to what they could do with it. haha If I guess where you told them to stick those, will you ban me? lol

DDBooger
02-17-2010, 07:31 PM
Is it Nevada where they are burying those spent rods?

NateDawg39
02-17-2010, 07:33 PM
Just dispose of it in California :D

DDBooger
02-17-2010, 07:34 PM
Originally posted by NateDawg39
Just dispose of it in California :D Not even funny with the Seismic activity.

ronwx5x
02-17-2010, 08:13 PM
Originally posted by DDBooger
Not even funny with the Seismic activity.

Booger, I think the problem is with leaking radiation, not that it is likely to explode!

sinfan75
02-17-2010, 08:23 PM
Natural gas is the plentiful fuel we have right now. This is the energy we can use now while building up our nuclear power system. Wind and solar power needs lots of land to even put a dent in our energy needs. Not to mention oil and coal, despite what some say is,still very plentiful right here in the USA.

NateDawg39
02-17-2010, 08:27 PM
Originally posted by DDBooger
Not even funny with the Seismic activity. Ah crap....better bury it REAL deep then

JJWalker
02-17-2010, 09:16 PM
Nu-cu-lar :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hORaebYWDwk&NR=1

tog
02-18-2010, 12:02 AM
Originally posted by waterboy

um

no

they are not

nuclear power---in pebble bed form---which is totally safe and in breeder reactor form----which clinton killed for someunknown reason-----

are bothfar better generators of power than anything else out there

solar and win cant even sniff at the kind of power the atom has

not even close