PDA

View Full Version : Police shoot pit bulls while serving warrant in south Dallas

jason
02-17-2010, 12:36 PM
By NATHANIEL JONES

njones@star-telegram.com

Police shot two pit bulls early Wednesday while trying to serve an aggravated robbery warrant at a home in south Dallas, police said.

A suspect was arrested after a brief stand-off with police, said Senior Cpl. Gerardo Monreal, police spokesman.

The home is located in the 700 block of Oceanview Drive, Monreal said.

The condition of the dogs was unknown Wednesday morning, but police were still at the scene.

Check back for more details.

LINK (http://www.star-telegram.com/news/story/1975185.html)

crzyjournalist03
02-17-2010, 01:00 PM
If the police had shot two dachshunds or terriers, would it have still made the news?

Counterpoint to my own question: If it had been two dachshunds or terriers, would police have even shot the animals?

ASUFrisbeeStud
02-17-2010, 01:25 PM
Originally posted by crzyjournalist03
If the police had shot two dachshunds or terriers, would it have still made the news?

Counterpoint to my own question: If it had been two dachshunds or terriers, would police have even shot the animals?

Probably not but if they felt their life was endangered than they are justified to use deadly force. It wouldn't have made the news because they wouldn't have shot them because there wouldn't have been a need, however if I was going into a house to serve a warrant for someone accused of aggraveted robbery and some pit bulls came after me, Id shoot them too.

navscanmaster
02-17-2010, 09:52 PM
I'm neutral in the pit bull politics, but my neighbor is a officer at Bryan PD; he has shot at least three pit bulls that I know of, killing two. One was while he was chasing a perp through another person's backyard, and it got a hold on his leg. It was sad for the family and they received some kind of off the table compensation for it, but while talking to the homeowners after the incident, they found that the dead pit and three others that were in pens in the backyard had no vaccinations or city registration. Also, the resident that raised the most hell at police while they were talking to them had multiple warrants for burglary of a vehicle, evading arrest, and motion to revoke. Go figure.

IHStangFan
02-17-2010, 09:54 PM
Originally posted by crzyjournalist03

Counterpoint to my own question: If it had been two dachshunds or terriers, would police have even shot the animals? LOL...both good questions.

lange4
02-17-2010, 11:02 PM
It is my belief that someone outside the law is not going to have an animal like a dachsund, but an animal he feels will defend him. That is why the police have more run-ins with pit bulls. Myself, I surround with Border Collies and Australian Sheppards. What does that say about me.

crzyjournalist03
02-18-2010, 10:33 AM
Originally posted by lange4
It is my belief that someone outside the law is not going to have an animal like a dachsund, but an animal he feels will defend him. That is why the police have more run-ins with pit bulls. Myself, I surround with Border Collies and Australian Sheppards. What does that say about me.

That you prefer imports over American?