PDA

View Full Version : Pep Rally Skit gone wrong?? (4a South Texas)

District303aPastPlayer
10-08-2003, 12:39 AM
Can someone from around the corpus area (IE: russ, 66, sinfan, phil) please explain what happened at the calallen pep rally if you have heard about it..

Gobbla2001
10-08-2003, 02:44 AM
Calallen teachers' skit is under investigation
Rival schools portrayed as gangsters, pregnant

By Aaron Drawhorn and Ofelia Garcia Hunter KRIS 6 News/Caller-Times
October 7, 2003

Calallen administrators began an investigation Monday afternoon after a pep rally skit performed by a group of teachers that was meant to poke fun at rival schools drew mixed reactions from students, parents and staff.

"We have taken steps and the necessary actions to make sure this doesn't happen again," said Gary Moss, principal at Calallen High School. "We regret the incident; we found it inappropriate and apologized to school administrators."

School administrators have refused to describe what happened and details are sketchy.

But, according to a staff member who did not want to be identified, at least five Calallen teachers donned costumes for last week's pep rally that portrayed homecoming queens and stereotyped students from surrounding schools including Gregory-Portland, Alice, Flour Bluff, Robstown and Tuloso-Midway.

The most controversial character was reported to be a teacher dressed as a pregnant and barefoot queen representing Robstown. The teacher imitating Alice's queen was dressed as a gang member with low rider pants and hickeys on her neck and the Flour Bluff queen had missing teeth.

Calallen students voted with applause for the most desirable candidate. The winner was Robstown.

Calallen Superintendent James Warlick said he has apologized to Robstown's superintendent for the skit.

"We don't want to do anything to hurt the feelings of any of the students of any schools in our area because they're all just young people, and that's the way we need to treat them," Warlick said.

The school has received a handful of phone calls about the incident, school officials said.

The skit drew mixed reviews, some angry and others who thought it was funny.

Angela Garcia, a Robstown resident, didn't think it was humorous.

"They should do more than apologize," she said "Not everyone from Robstown is like that."

One Calallen student said the teachers were irresponsible.

"I don't think they should have been doing something like that," said Thomas Olivarez, a senior. "They're supposed to be our role models."

But Calallen student Mindy Yepez thought it amusing.

"I thought it was fun, but I could understand if some were offended," she said. "It's not supposed to be taken that way. It's a pep rally."

Chris Day also thought the skit shouldn't be taken seriously.

"There's enough bad stuff in this world," Day said. "We need humor, so go for it."

Calallen administrators would not comment on any disciplinary action taken and which teachers were involved. Moss said this incident would not be repeated.

"We take pride in our school and that's not the image of Calallen," he said.

Contact Aaron Drawhorn at 886-6168 or adrawhorn@kristv.com. Contact Ofelia Garcia Hunter at 886-3759 or huntero@caller.com

St. Ivender
10-08-2003, 08:21 AM
I thought it was great when the Robstown resident said "Not everyone from Robstown is like that". Priceless

Compudyne
10-08-2003, 08:32 AM
St. Ivender:
I thought it was great when the Robstown resident said "Not everyone from Robstown is like that". PricelessThat is exactly what I thought. That is hilarious. What do people expect. That is what they see on TV all the time. Sitcoms, Saturday Night Live, Whose Line is it Anyway, Jay Leno, David Letterman. It is people making fun of other people and it is funny. I cannot belive that someone got angry over that. That is what we see every day of our lives.

trojandad
10-08-2003, 09:57 AM
Sounds like a whipped superintendent somewhere.

SintonFan
10-08-2003, 11:13 AM
They forget the cocaine sniffing party princess from Callalen.j/k
Another sign of civilization in decline. Everyone has a sense of humor but don't poke fun at me. Chalk one up for the "thought police." Isn't political correctness fun?

<small>[ October 08, 2003, 11:14 AM: Message edited by: SintonFan ]</small>

pirate4state
10-08-2003, 11:25 AM
eek! What, this is acceptable behavior from TEACHERS ?!?! :mad: I don't think so.

SintonFan
10-08-2003, 11:30 AM
p4s, I wasn't saying this was acceptable. But, jeez, it's to the point that you can't say anything without someone getting upset. Like I said before everyone jokes but just don't joke about me. People let their emotions control their actions and responses now. Just throw intelligent thought out the window. I'm sure the same could be said for those teachers, too.

theyoefnshow
10-08-2003, 11:34 AM
If the parodies were stereotypes it's all in fun. IF a homecoming queen from one of the schools was in fact pregnant or whatever, that is in bad taste. Imagine being the parent of that young girl hearing about your daughter is being ridiculed. It wouldn't be cool. There is a line.

trojandad
10-08-2003, 01:28 PM
This PC generation would have freaked completely out at the BARBQ's we made of our opposing teams mascots years ago, huh?

olddawggreen
10-09-2003, 01:45 PM
DID ANYONE CHECK TO SEE IF THE TEACHERS WERE REALLY IN COSTUME?

PAINTBALL
10-09-2003, 03:07 PM
Some people just don't have a sense of humor. Bare foot and pregnant is funny. Period.

St. Ivender
10-09-2003, 04:20 PM
pirate4state:
eek! What, this is acceptable behavior from TEACHERS ?!?! :mad: I don't think so.Sounds like some of the teachers I had. (without costumes)

sinton 1316
10-11-2003, 08:57 PM
this is a pep rally...when students see teachers doing things like that...it gets them excited...its FUNNY...and with teachers doing it, it makes it more hilarious...if robstown would have done the same pep rally...and made fun of calallen...ms. garcia wouldve probably found it funny too...people need to get over it...being from sinton...ive seen this on the news/heard it on the radio/read it in newspapers...its really been blown way out of proportion...if some ppl didnt like it...they didnt have to watch it...at one of sintons pep rallys...the sinton mascot "killed" a teacher dressed up as a turkey (playing cuero)...i guess that that should offend cuero too...you know...since not everyone in cuero is a turkey...sorry guys...next time i guess we can just shoot you with a tranquilizer gun...oo wait...that advocates guns and drugs...i guess we could just ask them to lay down...
GET OVER IT
my 2 cents