PDA

View Full Version : What Do you think of a Super Texas Conference?

PhiI C
02-15-2010, 12:05 AM
With all the talk lately of teams going to the Big 10 or Pac 10 or SEC what would you think of having an all Super Texas Conference? Remember there are now 12 games allowed during the regular season and it would be like the good old SWC days. It would have 8 teams so there would be 5 available non conference games and teams could use them to travel out of state for exposure. Of course the great Texas vs Oklahoma game would still be in Dallas. The teams would be as follows:

1. Texas - that goes without saying.

2. Texas A&M - remember the Aggies have had great teams and a Heisman Trophy winner in the past plus a National Championship in 1935. With the new coach they are bound to rise power than a Sherman Tank in combat.

3. SMU - a great team with great tradition. They won the National Championship in 1935 and have had a Heisman Trophy winner. I know they had a hard time after the death penalty by the NCAA but they have a new dynamic coach that is getting them out of it and they are sure to be a power to reckon with very soon.

4. TCU - they won the National Championship in 1937 and had a Heisman Trophy winner. They are already a recognized power and only Boise State could beat them last year.

5. Texas Tech - with that West Texas Talent and a new dynamic coach they are bound to rise as a power. Remember they have been tough the past several years and things are getting better.

6. Baylor - they have an outstanding new coach and they have had top teams and they are preparing for great things.

7. Rice - they have had success in the past and had ranked teams. Remember they used to be SWC champions at least once every four years until the 60s.

8. Houston - they had been outstanding the past couple of years and they have a great coach that knows what he is doing.

They key thing is that the teams would have to play well especially with out of conference games. The Aggies could possible start a rivalry wiht LSU and really help if they can win that game consistently. Of course Texas Tech needs to mop up on New Mexico. Also they could play UTEP and perhaps if UTEP proves worthy they could be added to the conference. I thoght of including them but they must make a better showing. They are getting close but not quite yet.

NateDawg39
02-15-2010, 12:07 AM
Hmmmm :thinking:

coach
02-15-2010, 12:10 AM
Originally posted by PhiI C
With all the talk lately of teams going to the Big 10 or Pac 10 or SEC what would you think of having an all Super Texas Conference? Remember there are now 12 games allowed during the regular season and it would be like the good old SWC days. It would have 8 teams so there would be 5 available non conference games and teams could use them to travel out of state for exposure. Of course the great Texas vs Oklahoma game would still be in Dallas. The teams would be as follows:

1. Texas - that goes without saying.

2. Texas A&M - remember the Aggies have had great teams and a Heisman Trophy winner in the past plus a National Championship in 1935. With the new coach they are bound to rise power than a Sherman Tank in combat.

3. SMU - a great team with great tradition. They won the National Championship in 1935 and have had a Heisman Trophy winner. I know they had a hard time after the death penalty by the NCAA but they have a new dynamic coach that is getting them out of it and they are sure to be a power to reckon with very soon.

4. TCU - they won the National Championship in 1937 and had a Heisman Trophy winner. They are already a recognized power and only Boise State could beat them last year.

5. Texas Tech - with that West Texas Talent and a new dynamic coach they are bound to rise as a power. Remember they have been tough the past several years and things are getting better.

6. Baylor - they have an outstanding new coach and they have had top teams and they are preparing for great things.

7. Rice - they have had success in the past and had ranked teams. Remember they used to be SWC champions at least once every four years until the 60s.

8. Houston - they had been outstanding the past couple of years and they have a great coach that knows what he is doing.

They key thing is that the teams would have to play well especially with out of conference games. The Aggies could possible start a rivalry wiht LSU and really help if they can win that game consistently. Of course Texas Tech needs to mop up on New Mexico. Also they could play UTEP and perhaps if UTEP proves worthy they could be added to the conference. I thoght of including them but they must make a better showing. They are getting close but not quite yet.

it will never happen

PhiI C
02-15-2010, 12:16 AM
Originally posted by coach
it will never happen

Why not?

NateDawg39
02-15-2010, 12:21 AM
Originally posted by PhiI C
Why not? Because it makes to much sense for the NCAA to approve it Phil you know that :D

PhiI C
02-15-2010, 12:23 AM
Originally posted by NateDawg39
Because it makes to much sense for the NCAA to approve it Phil you know that :D

:D :clap:

Old Dog
02-15-2010, 01:15 AM
Too much like the old SWC and in it's latter years the eastern press dogged us constantly. It's just too much of a good thing I feel !

Twirling Time
02-15-2010, 06:46 AM
You would still have the old factors that caused the SWC to split after Arkansas bailed out.

Public schools vs. private schools, big markets vs. small markets, politicians vs. politicians, and recruiters all chasing the same athletes and upping the ante to rule-breaking levels.

Plus, the TV market (and money) is limited to Texas only, where in the Big 12 the market covers seven states with widespread regional and national exposure. The TV money in the 1980s and 1990s changed the landscape, and when the SWC slid in quality after all the scandals and after Arkansas left, it killed the SWC.

Phil C
02-15-2010, 09:27 AM
Originally posted by Twirling Time
You would still have the old factors that caused the SWC to split after Arkansas bailed out.

Public schools vs. private schools, big markets vs. small markets, politicians vs. politicians, and recruiters all chasing the same athletes and upping the ante to rule-breaking levels.

Plus, the TV market (and money) is limited to Texas only, where in the Big 12 the market covers seven states with widespread regional and national exposure. The TV money in the 1980s and 1990s changed the landscape, and when the SWC slid in quality after all the scandals and after Arkansas left, it killed the SWC.

I remember in the 80s that there were some scandals that involved SMU, TCU and the Aggies which hurt the conference. But they have new leadership now with more integrity that would see that such things wouldn't happen now in this modern age.

Phil C
02-15-2010, 09:29 AM
The thing to remember is that in the 30s SMU, TCU and A&M all won National Championships and these are sleeping giants that will be woke up after their new dynamic coaches really get their program on the road. In fact TCU is almost there. Most scary indeed.

jockcity33
02-15-2010, 10:35 AM
How did A&M and SMU both with the NC in 1935?

Phil C
02-15-2010, 10:44 AM
Originally posted by jockcity33
How did A&M and SMU both with the NC in 1935?

One of the polls voted SMU as National Champions in 1935. TCU won in 1938 and the Aggies won in 1939. I was wrong above because TCU won it in 1938 not 1937. See below.

http://cfbdatawarehouse.com/data/national_championships/year_by_year.php

Old Tiger
02-15-2010, 10:45 AM
Why not at UTEP and North Texas?

Phil C
02-15-2010, 10:47 AM
Originally posted by Old Tiger
Why not at UTEP and North Texas?

Good point Old. I think they could be added if they proved to be a worthy power which is possible. There are lots of good athletes in El Paso and the area so UTEP could be a future power in football. Also North Texas should also become one when they start to consistently get those Dallas football players.

LionKing
02-15-2010, 11:21 AM
SWC II, won't happen again, it made sense 60-70 years ago when College Football was regional and no TV, different animal today.

fumanchu
02-15-2010, 11:29 AM
That is pretty much the SWC and I don't think it won't happen again. I have a buddy who has a conspiracy theory that SMU, Houston and TCU were all excluded from the Big 12 so that Texas, Tech & A&M at the time could divey up all the good recruits...come play in the BIG 12. Baylor decided to stay in and get pummeled and take the money. He's a Tech guy also so it isn't like he's bitter...

Twirling Time
02-15-2010, 04:28 PM
Originally posted by fumanchu
That is pretty much the SWC and I don't think it won't happen again. I have a buddy who has a conspiracy theory that SMU, Houston and TCU were all excluded from the Big 12 so that Texas, Tech & A&M at the time could divey up all the good recruits...come play in the BIG 12. Baylor decided to stay in and get pummeled and take the money. He's a Tech guy also so it isn't like he's bitter...

The way I understand it, Ann Richards (a Baylor alum) insisted her school be included in the Big 12 before she'd sign off on it. That bumped one of the other schools.

As far as North Texas, all the other non-BCS conferences (CUSA, WAC, etc.) took a look earlier in the decade when we had the last big reshuffling, and said no thanks. And that was when the Mean Green was winning four straight SBC championships. The new stadium might help a little, and attendance is up a little at the Pit, but it's still usually only half full.

injuredinmelee
02-15-2010, 05:20 PM
It wont happen becuase it would be a crap conference.

You have one team that is a perennial power or top ten, Texas.

Tech- you never know what your gonna get. maybe 9 or 10 win maybe 7.

Aggies- barely able to stay above .500

TCU- come on they play crap teams all year long. They face big boys and what happens???? losses

Houston- lost to UCF and UTEP this season. Both team were beaten the weeks before they played Houston by UT by at least 28pts.

Rice- ITs an academic school. They dont care if they are good or not and will not invest the money into athletics to make themselves prominent.

SMU- See Rice.

Baylor- Great coach. Great QB. When he plays they are competetive but not always a winner. He gets hurt they fall apart. What happens when he graduates? Briles cant find a gem like that willing to commit to a church sponsored school every 4 years.

And Deloss Dodds is a businessman before he is an Athletic Director and he has the University of Texas atop the college football world in revenue. I can guarante you he would NEVER EVER EVER EVER even consider such a move. Why change what is working?

Keith7
02-15-2010, 06:09 PM
Originally posted by injuredinmelee

SMU- See Rice. (Rice- ITs an academic school. They dont care if they are good or not and will not invest the money into athletics to make themselves prominent. )

Tell that to the boosters in the '80s, they were willing to give more than most schools to the school and players

I would only like this super conference if North Texas is included.

Snydertigersrul
02-15-2010, 07:01 PM
Originally posted by Keith7
Tell that to the boosters in the '80s, they were willing to give more than most schools to the school and players

I would only like this super conference if North Texas is included.

It all comes down to money, that's why Arkansas jumped to the SEC

carter08
02-15-2010, 07:41 PM
Does this conference merit a BCS automatic bid?

Yes, you have Texas, but A&M and Tech aren't enough. The other schools play in small conferences and the only one's that seem like they'd be a plus on the financial side is UH, because bringing Texas and A&M to Houston will sell out Reliant or the new UH stadium, and TCU for the same reason. People don't care enough about Rice and SMU. Baylor will be a liability.

UT would never approve of this in the first place.

Now, a conference with Texas, Tech, A&M, Baylor, Houston, and TCU as the southern half with some good size, good drawing schools in the other division might make a little more sense, but still not enough.

Keith7
02-15-2010, 07:46 PM
Originally posted by carter08
Does this conference merit a BCS automatic bid?

Yes, you have Texas, but A&M and Tech aren't enough. The other schools play in small conferences and the only one's that seem like they'd be a plus on the financial side is UH, because bringing Texas and A&M to Houston will sell out Reliant or the new UH stadium, and TCU for the same reason. People don't care enough about Rice and SMU. Baylor will be a liability.

UT would never approve of this in the first place.

Now, a conference with Texas, Tech, A&M, Baylor, Houston, and TCU as the southern half with some good size, good drawing schools in the other division might make a little more sense, but still not enough.

I think SMU and North Texas would sell out every game if they played well known teams. Heck that's the only time houston sells out

carter08
02-15-2010, 07:52 PM
Originally posted by Keith7
I think SMU and North Texas would sell out every game if they played well known teams. Heck that's the only time houston sells out

SMU, TCU, and UNT in one conference might be oversaturating that market. If all the average fans can go see whichever team has the best record play Texas, they aren't going to see SMU and UNT play them. Alumni and fans of the school will, but not the casual fan. Plus, I could see a TCU/ Texas game being at the Cowboys stadium, the same way Houston would play Texas at Reliant. If they alternated home/away with Houston and Rice against the good teams, having two schools in Houston in the conference COULD work but it is still doubtful. Having 3 teams from one market though isn't gonna work.

Keith7
02-15-2010, 07:59 PM
Originally posted by carter08
SMU, TCU, and UNT in one conference might be oversaturating that market. If all the average fans can go see whichever team has the best record play Texas, they aren't going to see SMU and UNT play them. Alumni and fans of the school will, but not the casual fan. Plus, I could see a TCU/ Texas game being at the Cowboys stadium, the same way Houston would play Texas at Reliant. If they alternated home/away with Houston and Rice against the good teams, having two schools in Houston in the conference COULD work but it is still doubtful. Having 3 teams from one market though isn't gonna work.

Texas fills the stands to see them play ULM, you don't think they would do the same to see them play UNT? that's crazy.

UNT and SMU have a long standing rivalry so it would be nice to have that in a conference. three teams in one market would be awesome. It makes for better rivalries. Just ask Wake Forrest, North Carolina and Duke.