PDA

View Full Version : power lifting conflicts

XMan
02-12-2010, 06:26 PM
How many people have kids that are having power lifting meets and baseball scrimmages/games at the same dates/times? What do you do in this situation? Do you go to one but not the other or both or what? Also, what if you had a football scrimmage/game at the same time as some other important non UIL activity? Would the football guys skip a scrimmage/game???? So many decisions.

NateDawg39
02-12-2010, 06:31 PM
I know my cousin had that problem and dropped power lifting for Baseball. Tough decision for sure

Green Bling
02-12-2010, 07:16 PM
Team commitments trump individual competitions. Competitions trump practices. UIL trumps non-UIL events. This is the rule many multi-sport athletes use in these situations. The reasoning behind it is how any decision to compete impacts others that depend on you to contribute.

LE Dad
02-12-2010, 07:23 PM
My kid dropped baseball. He enjoyed powerlifting more and to be honest it gave us more quality time. I could help him more with his lifting than with baseball.

44INAROW
02-12-2010, 09:51 PM
my youngest juggled golf and baseball for 3 years - it was stressful but he managed. His senior year he made the heartbreaking decision to not play baseball and focus on golf 100% Tough decision but he made the right one in the end. State Tourney in golf his junior and senior year.. His sophmore year, the district golf tourney was the same day as an out of town district baseball game - they had a 3 hour rain delay in golf - he finished his 18th hole at 5:30pm in Victoria and he had a 7:30 game in Hallettsville and he was lead-off batter. He literally grabbed his golf metal - ran to the car and called coach that he was on the way to the baseball game. Coach had to turn in the lineup an hour before the game. I think we "slid" into the parking lot in Hallettsvlle about 7:05 pm- we had picked up his uniform on the way to the golf tourney so he changed clothes in the car. That was a close one but it was fun too.

Basically, it's all about choices. I remember one year, either 2006 or 2007, a young man played in the state golf tourney and then immediately went to the state track meet to run the hurdles. I am not sure who it was but dang, that must have been stressful..

LH Panther Mom
02-12-2010, 09:59 PM
My kid skipped a track meet to compete at power lifting. Why? Regional & State PL > track meet. We've had "same day" conflicts with a several athletes running track AND playing baseball. Seems they went to the track meet, competed in their event, then went to the baseball game and played. We've even had at least one athlete who chose to go to *gasp* prom rather than compete at the regional track meet.

Conflicts happen all the time and the last time I checked, it didn't hurt anyone to have to choose one over the other or juggle them both. Maybe if it's a huge issue then the way to resolve the conflicts is to limit the activities and just concentrate on ONE all school year. :doh:

XMan
02-12-2010, 10:07 PM
With the way that all of the sports are becoming almost year round affairs, it is making it harder and harder to play multiple sports with a high degree of success.

Rabid Cougar
02-13-2010, 05:11 AM
I would not think a powerlifting meet is a good fit before a baseball game anyday. There comes a time to decide which is more important or enjoyable to the kid! For us it was not that big of a deal... football and track. No powerlifting due to surgeries.....

maestro
02-13-2010, 10:34 AM
Originally posted by Green Bling
Team commitments trump individual competitions. Competitions trump practices. UIL trumps non-UIL events. This is the rule many multi-sport athletes use in these situations. The reasoning behind it is how any decision to compete impacts others that depend on you to contribute.

This is the best, and often , most correct way to go. Great post.

SWMustang
02-13-2010, 11:55 AM
what's an individual sport?

LE Dad
02-13-2010, 07:04 PM
Originally posted by SWMustang
what's an individual sport? I think some still consider powerlifting to be individual instead of team. I think more schools are now putting full teams together and in fact powerlifting is as much of a team effort as baseball.

jp744
02-13-2010, 08:59 PM
If your a good powerlifter then you would have good enough numbers to qualify already and could go to baseball. that's what I think.