DDBooger
02-12-2010, 03:19 PM
Dangerous sport

YTBulldogs
02-12-2010, 03:20 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
the video is TRAGIC

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MhSpeu2dgKk

O my, that's awful. Damn, looks like he was doing 200 mph.

NateDawg39
02-12-2010, 03:23 PM
Wish I didnt watch that. Prayers to his family and prayers for ALL other Olympic athletes

Txbroadcaster
02-12-2010, 03:24 PM
There have already been alot of crashes on what some is calling the fastest Luge course in history..talk of the lugers boycotting this event this year

Phil C
02-12-2010, 03:26 PM
:(

YTBulldogs
02-12-2010, 03:40 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
the video is TRAGIC

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MhSpeu2dgKk

"This u-tube video is no longer available due to a copyright claim by International Olympic Committee."

Good, it was awful, and I see tragic death often. Man, why even have them poles that close to the track after being warned by the Olympians.

NateDawg39
02-12-2010, 03:41 PM
Originally posted by YTBulldogs
"This u-tube video is no longer available due to a copyright claim by International Olympic Committee."

Good, it was awful, and I see tragic death often. Man, why even have them poles that close to the track after being warned by the Olympians. Yes we do not need to see someones life ended like that on youtube or any other website for that matter....

BullsFan
02-12-2010, 03:44 PM
I'm glad I didn't see the video, and will avoid watching it if it comes on the news. But could someone briefly describe what happened without going into graphic detail, if that's at all possible?

NateDawg39
02-12-2010, 03:46 PM
Originally posted by BullsFan
I'm glad I didn't see the video, and will avoid watching it if it comes on the news. But could someone briefly describe what happened without going into graphic detail, if that's at all possible? He came extremely fast around the bend and lost control causing him to be thrown into a wall and metal post. It was so fast and graphic I only watched one time

jason
02-12-2010, 03:47 PM
wonder why there was a metal post that close to the track...would think somebody would have noticed it before....

NateDawg39
02-12-2010, 03:48 PM
Originally posted by jason
wonder why there was a metal post that close to the track...would think somebody would have noticed it before.... I think it was brought to the attention of officials but nothing was done about it

BullsFan
02-12-2010, 03:51 PM
Originally posted by NateDawg39
He came extremely fast around the bend and lost control causing him to be thrown into a wall and metal post. It was so fast and graphic I only watched one time

Oh, that's terrible. I hope the other competitors do refuse to go down that track.

3afan
02-12-2010, 04:07 PM
I thnk any problems can be "fixed" ... they can slow the track down

crzyjournalist03
02-12-2010, 04:26 PM
very, very sad. :(

NateDawg39
02-12-2010, 04:27 PM
It was mentioned that some competitors were uneasy about this track before the accident

BullsFan
02-13-2010, 01:27 AM
Apparently there have already been several mishaps there. I heard tonight that a woman was knocked unconscious and the two time defending champ lost his sled, and there were other accidents as well.

K-MAC Chuck
02-13-2010, 07:15 AM
God bless the young man who lost his life; hopefully he is in God's arms right now.

Prayers to his family and friends - and here's hoping Olympic officials do what's necessary so there nothing like this happens again..

3afan
02-13-2010, 07:59 AM
will be interesting to see what they do to make things safer ...

TexMike
02-13-2010, 09:22 AM
Canadian engineering has not been up to Olympic standards in the 1st day. Hopefully, this does not continue to be the theme as this thing goes forward.

YTBulldogs
02-13-2010, 09:31 AM
I read a minute ago, the Olympic officials claim track was not an issue in his death.

No, but-- that pole you placed right next to the track, near a turn in which they are at full speed when exiting the turn, was.

LE Dad
02-13-2010, 11:02 AM
I remember watching luge on Wide World of Sports as a kid. I thought about how cool it would be to slide down a hill, at 70mph, on a sled, steering with my feet.

Once the waterparks opened the sled rides, I changed my mind... A 30mph straight drop is excitment enough. I will leave the higher speeds and lower extremity steering to people with either more guts or less sense than me.

IMHO, poles nor any solid obects have any business near a luge course. I believe luge is probably the most dangerous Winter Games sport, more thought needed to be put into this course.

YTBulldogs
02-13-2010, 11:09 AM
Originally posted by LE Dad
I remember watching luge on Wide World of Sports as a kid. I thought about how cool it would be to slide down a hill, at 70mph, on a sled, steering with my feet.

Once the waterparks opened the sled rides, I changed my mind... A 30mph straight drop is excitment enough. I will leave the higher speeds and lower extremity steering to people with either more guts or less sense than me.

IMHO, poles nor any solid obects have any business near a luge course. I believe luge is probably the most dangerous Winter Games sport, more thought needed to be put into this course.

Totally agree with ya LEDad. They now say they will increase the height of the walls. Where was this before someone died. They knew they had the fastest course in history already.

Bullaholic
02-13-2010, 11:57 AM
They need to lift the sides of the protectors in the curves up. Not very hard for a slider doing 90mph to jump the existing groove if they become airborne at all. Then let em' fly all they want and the sport will be enhanced by lugers safely setting new world marks on this extremely fast track.

Years ago, during the East German "alleged" steroid use---I saw a female East German "woman" finish her luge run, get up, pick up her luge, put it under one arm and walk away. Her name was Uta Weise, and "she" could have played for the Cowboys.

TexMike
02-13-2010, 04:14 PM
And now they have decided to run the men's competition from the ladies start line. They are admitting they have a problem there.

Green Bling
02-13-2010, 04:52 PM
Have heard that there have been numerous concerns expressed about the increasingly high speeds of this and others of the newer courses, but that the IOC failed to act. It just seems like a no-brainer to build these tracks with walls high enough that the athletes don't go flying off. I just can't imagine how his fellow teammates are managing. Prayers for them, his family, and also for those that can make changes to prevent a recurrence of this tragedy.