PDA

View Full Version : Another Thought on Why Some Teams Win

heck
06-24-2003, 02:11 PM
I believe there are many reasons why teams consistently win, but talent is the main reason. I also believe that enrollments are a fairly poor perdictor of wins and losses. Having said that, I want to say that I believe a very important predictor of wins is how close a 3A school lies to a major (largeer) city.

Look at some programs that lie near a larger cities. Greenwood, Canyon, Canyon Randall (4A), Abilene Wylie, Everman, Kennedale, Shallowwater, Frenship...the list goes on and on. The reason I think this is such a good predictor is mobility. A parent(s) can easily move their child to another school just by moving into the district (sometimes only a transfer is needed) and still work at the same job. Whereas, in towns that are located say an hour away from these major "hubs" this isn't the case. We all know that 3A school and even some 4A's are loosing enrollments in most districts west of I-35, i.e., jobs are going away. When this happens a parent(s) might move to find a job. Often times this means talent winds up in the 3A school adjacent or close to a larger city. Lets face it where would you rather your child go to school, Midlan High, Midland Lee, or Midland Greenwood? Not to pick on Greenwood mind you because there are many other examples.

I suppose you could make a case for recruiting based on this opinion, but that isn't the reason I am writing this. I have just observed this over the years and it seems to support my theory.

Matthew328
06-24-2003, 02:22 PM
Actually that isn't too bad of a point...a parent of a kid say in FWISD or Arlington could easily move into Everman or Kennedale ISD and not have to change jobs or anything...not saying Everman or Kennedale recruit kids but school sometimes recruit themselves....a kid that is a pretty good player at say North Crowley would love to be at Everman where there is an opprotunity to win state....Everman isn't recruiting the kid btut the family of the young man thinks..hey Everman is down the street....they have a good program and good schools why not move there..I think the same thing has been going on at Celina for a while...Celina "recruits" itself...small town, acess to the city, good schools, winning tradition..why wouldn't someone from McKinney or Plano who has the means to move do it?

Ranger Mom
06-24-2003, 02:23 PM
I understand COMPLETELY what you are saying. Just an interesting fact though as far as Greenwood goes. In the class that will be seniors this year - I think the only new one we have had is Jeremy Audas, and he moved here in 7th grade - and NOT from Midland. All the rest have been together since elementary. I don't see alot of people from Midland moving to Greenwood. We seem to get people who have been transferred to Midland and don't want their kids in a 5-A school. That's the reason I live there!!

vet93
06-24-2003, 02:35 PM
Heck...I agree with your premise. About a year and a half ago I posted a topic about the decline of football in west texas. I mentioned the effect that you are talking about...I think I called it the "suburban effect" where parents next to a metropolitan area can "select" their school and commute to their job in the city. I think that it is much more of a factor the larger the city. In other words, the metroplex schools could possibly derive more benefit than say Lubbock.

Shotgun73
06-24-2003, 02:36 PM
It is great to get a move in that can really help your team, but there are a lot of intangables that must be considered. One of the most important things that leads to success is a school board and community that support athletics. When a school board is not afraid to invest money into making the athletic program the best it can be by buying the necessary equipment and hiring the best coaches available then success will, in most cases, follow.
I think that another reason that some teams tend to be successful year after year is tradition. I don't think that many people understand what it means until you have it. It's that little bit of doubt in the back of your opponents mind that may make the difference.
Team chemistry and senior leadership are also big keys to being successful. I am sure that many of you have seen good teams fall apart because of differences among teammates.
Heck, I believe that you are right. You can't win big without talent, and there is probably something to the theory of living close to a bigger city. If you are a 4A school or smaller school with a winning tradition, isn't it interesting how these schools seem to get talented move-ins on a consistant basis?

heck
06-24-2003, 02:37 PM
Ranger Mom, that is exactly what I was thinking when I posted this. If I got trasfered to Midland I wouldln't want my kids in a 5-A school. No offense just think it's too big. So I would look around for a smaller school. All things being equal, I would opt for the best small school I could get.

As for the kid moving in the 7th grade, that is when I would move my family if I had the choice. Thats when many organized sports start. Actually, I know of at least one other player from your basektball team that moved in. He is an impact player like Audas too.

heck
06-24-2003, 02:44 PM
Shotgun,
Of course you are right about team chemistry, tradition, and community support. But, all that is secondary to talent. I once knew a mile relay team that didn't have a track (ran around the practice football field) and one member shot another in the leg with a .22 just before the state track meet. You know what, they won the 3-A (maybe it was 2-A then) mile relay with a 3:18:00 time. Talk about team chemistry and no support and lots of talent....

Another way of saying this that the probability of receiving a move-in is much higher in these towns than in outlying areas of the state.

Shotgun73
06-24-2003, 02:51 PM
Heck, If I had my choice, talent would be at the top of my list, if it is coachable talent. That tends to make some of the other things that I mention fall into place.

Ranger Mom
06-24-2003, 02:54 PM
heck:
Ranger Mom, that is exactly what I was thinking when I posted this. If I got trasfered to Midland I wouldln't want my kids in a 5-A school. No offense just think it's too big. So I would look around for a smaller school. All things being equal, I would opt for the best small school I could get.

As for the kid moving in the 7th grade, that is when I would move my family if I had the choice. Thats when many organized sports start. Actually, I know of at least one other player from your basektball team that moved in. He is an impact player like Audas too.Actually after I posted that, I thought I should have clarified that I was talking about the FOOTBALL team.

Phil C
06-24-2003, 02:56 PM
Heck probably has something there though I don't know the degree of it. I have heard that one time a city that had several high schools had a very good all star little league baseball team. The league was taken city wide. One of the parents had the bright idea of the boys playing together in high school instead of at separate schools against each other. That way they could have one very good team instead of several so-so teams. The parents got together and decided on a school that had a good coach and baseball program. Over a period time they all moved into that school district. The main problem was to have time to sell old homes find a new home in the district since they all had jobs in the city. The boys were able to play together in high school and went to state a couple of years. There was no recruitment by the school or coaches. It was a group of parents that recognized the talent of these players and how great they would be together. In fact I don't think there was anything unethical about it at all. They just saw an opportunity and no rules were broken. Remember this is all just based on second hand information to me.
Another case of recruiting though not by the school was years ago a local radio station would indirectly recruit whenever they broadcast the city's games. Back then it was a 4A one high school town. They didn't recuit but the broadcast encouraged people to move there for good jobs and houses and schools. Not directly but the hint was there.

PPHSfan
06-24-2003, 03:26 PM
I think the number one reason that some teams win is that they score more points than the teams they play.

Shotgun73
06-24-2003, 03:44 PM
PPHSfan,
I don't know why I didn't think of that!

Phil C
06-24-2003, 03:53 PM
That is how winning soccer teams win PPHS. :)

Bandera YaYa
06-24-2003, 04:32 PM
Damn, you are brilliant, PPHSfan!! Truly amazing!! Where did you go to school???????

Phil C
06-24-2003, 04:35 PM
It is outstanding Bandera but how come when I played golf my teams had the highest score (thanks to me :) )but was considered the last place loser. We scored the most points than the other teams and still lost. Why? Knock Knock!! Hello!! Earth to PPHS! :)

audasmom7
06-25-2003, 12:25 PM
We moved from Stanton and everyone thought we were crazy since Stanton had won a state championship, But I wanted Brandon and Jeremy to play together, and it was a good choice they will always have those memories together they had 2 great yrs on the field, and it was so much fun watching them outhere. And we never even considered MHS or LHS. Greenwood is a great community

Bandera YaYa
06-25-2003, 03:19 PM
...oh no! I thought you were perfect, Phil...then you tell me you play golf!! Yikes!!
Talk about boring! :D :D

(Golf is all my Dad and brother watch on TV....man oh man, do I hate visiting either of them!!) LOL!!

Phil C
06-25-2003, 04:21 PM
LOL actually that was a one time thing that happened many many years ago while I was in college taking a college course for PE (and that was because all the other P.E. courses were filled). I haven't played since then and have maybe watched golf on tv for maybe two hours in my whole life. Not that I have anything against golf but it has never really got my interest.

sinton66
06-25-2003, 05:22 PM
Even GOLF is more interesting than soccer! :D (And I HATE golf).

3afan2K3
06-25-2003, 06:07 PM
sinton66:
Even GOLF is more interesting than soccer! :D (And I HATE golf).I second that.

TarponFanInNorthTexas
06-25-2003, 06:28 PM
Hey, what's wrong with us golfers????? And what's so wrong with soccer???

If you want to talk about a TRULY boring sport, then lets talk about NASCAR!!!

TarponFanInNorthTexas
06-25-2003, 06:37 PM
sinton66:
Even GOLF is more interesting than soccer! :D (And I HATE golf).The reason why you hate golf is because you can't hit the ball, right? :D :D :D

sinton66
06-25-2003, 07:11 PM
Actually, the one time I got talked into sampling it, I hit the ball quite well. I even had a golf pro tell me I was a natural. I just never was able to muster any interest in it at all.