PDA

View Full Version : If You Don't Like NASCAR

sinfan75
02-11-2010, 10:46 PM
TOUGH!! For the next 36 weeks or so you're gonna get updates from yours truly. Ain't life great!! Football ends NASCAR begins.:D :D :p

eagles_victory
02-11-2010, 10:49 PM
Thats why we have a non sports forum.

SintonFan
02-11-2010, 11:04 PM
Some would say EV is sporting a point...
every time he makes a post about his signature that is.

SintonFan
02-11-2010, 11:05 PM
Originally posted by sinfan75
TOUGH!! For the next 36 weeks or so you're gonna get updates from yours truly. Ain't life great!! Football ends NASCAR begins.:D :D :p

Bring it on Yato!:clap:

sinfan75
02-11-2010, 11:06 PM
Now thats funny. I'm a football fan but I'm also a NASCAR fan and this is definitely a sport. You got former football players, baseball players basketball players involved in racin. Yep it's a sport.:p

bobcat4life
02-11-2010, 11:11 PM
NASCAR is definately a sport and a very good one at that.

anyone gonna do a NASCAR Fantast Team?

sinfan75
02-11-2010, 11:16 PM
I'll have the 500 and Nationwide Line-ups tomorrow. And don't forget the trucks are racin tomorrow night. Also Kevin Harvick won the Bud Shoot-out last weekend. Jimmy Johnson won the 150 duel 1 and Kasey Kane won duel 2 today. That puts them behind Mark Martin and Dale Jr. in the 500.

sinfan75
02-11-2010, 11:17 PM
Originally posted by bobcat4life
NASCAR is definately a sport and a very good one at that.

anyone gonna do a NASCAR Fantast Team? How does it work

NateDawg39
02-11-2010, 11:21 PM
TOUGH!! For the next 36 weeks or so you're gonna get updates from yours truly. Ain't life great!! Football ends NASCAR begins.:D :D :p Get a job!! :mad:

bobcat4life
02-11-2010, 11:21 PM
How does it work Im not quite sure. I was gonna make one later this week. I havent done it before but Im thinking it will be something like pick your drivers(probably around 5) and it could be based off the chase standings. My cousin created one tuesday.
Im still trying to find the website for it though...

Green Bling
02-12-2010, 12:02 AM
Thanks for the warning!:D :D

Bull Butter
02-12-2010, 12:22 AM
Originally posted by bobcat4life
Im not quite sure. I was gonna make one later this week. I havent done it before but Im thinking it will be something like pick your drivers(probably around 5) and it could be based off the chase standings. My cousin created one tuesday.
Im still trying to find the website for it though...

You could always do one on Yahoo!..... If so, I'm in:)

carter08
02-12-2010, 02:42 AM
I used to like NASCAR.

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
02-12-2010, 04:19 AM
I've watched NASCAR ever since I can remember, but it's definitely not a sport. Neither is golf. John Daly is not an athlete. Neither is Mark Martin. They just have a talent that they use. I drive my car around every day and it doesn't make me an athlete because they get paid to do it, it makes them an entertainer. Anybody can drive a race car if they practice enough at it. Sure, it's risky, but drag racers aren't considered athletes and it's not a sport either, at least I don't think so. NASCAR takes no athletic ability whatsoever. Neither does golf, really. Golf is a skill. I can run faster, jump higher, and lift more weights than Tiger Woods could ever imagine, but I can't swing a club like he does in the same technique. Sure, it takes SOME muscle and some body strength, but so does playing the Wii Fit and it's just a game too, I don't see anybody starting a professional sports circuit for that.

Maroon87
02-12-2010, 09:02 AM
:doh: at BBDE...

Keep 'em coming sinfan75!:cool:

MUSTANG69
02-12-2010, 09:04 AM
Originally posted by BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
I've watched NASCAR ever since I can remember, but it's definitely not a sport. Neither is golf. John Daly is not an athlete. Neither is Mark Martin. They just have a talent that they use. I drive my car around every day and it doesn't make me an athlete because they get paid to do it, it makes them an entertainer. Anybody can drive a race car if they practice enough at it. Sure, it's risky, but drag racers aren't considered athletes and it's not a sport either, at least I don't think so. NASCAR takes no athletic ability whatsoever. Neither does golf, really. Golf is a skill. I can run faster, jump higher, and lift more weights than Tiger Woods could ever imagine, but I can't swing a club like he does in the same technique. Sure, it takes SOME muscle and some body strength, but so does playing the Wii Fit and it's just a game too, I don't see anybody starting a professional sports circuit for that.

You got to be joking!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:vrycnfsd:

squid
02-12-2010, 09:11 AM
I can run faster, jump higher, and lift more weights than Tiger Woods

Are those attributes going to allow you to make as much $$$ in your professional career as Tiger has made?

These arguements are lame anyway. What does it matter if you or I consider it a sport or not?

Trashman
02-12-2010, 09:43 AM
Originally posted by eagles_victory
Thats why we have a non sports forum. :iagree: :iagree: :D

NateDawg39
02-12-2010, 09:51 AM
I've watched NASCAR ever since I can remember, but it's definitely not a sport. Neither is golf. John Daly is not an athlete. Neither is Mark Martin. They just have a talent that they use. I drive my car around every day and it doesn't make me an athlete because they get paid to do it, it makes them an entertainer. Anybody can drive a race car if they practice enough at it. Sure, it's risky, but drag racers aren't considered athletes and it's not a sport either, at least I don't think so. NASCAR takes no athletic ability whatsoever. Neither does golf, really. Golf is a skill. I can run faster, jump higher, and lift more weights than Tiger Woods could ever imagine, but I can't swing a club like he does in the same technique. Sure, it takes SOME muscle and some body strength, but so does playing the Wii Fit and it's just a game too, I don't see anybody starting a professional sports circuit for that. We can put this in the useless post count for BBDE :D

Pick6
02-12-2010, 10:07 AM
My grandmother is 93. She can drive and make left turns also. I guess she's an athlete.

Maroon87
02-12-2010, 11:41 AM
Originally posted by Pick6
My grandmother is 93. She can drive and make left turns also. I guess she's an athlete.

Can she make those left turns going 200 mph in the middle of other cars going 200 mph and do it for 4 hours non-stop?:thinking:

Pick6
02-12-2010, 11:58 AM
Originally posted by Maroon87
Can she make those left turns going 200 mph in the middle of other cars going 200 mph and do it for 4 hours non-stop?:thinking:

Well my 15 year old drove 6hrs non-stop going the same speed as everyone else. I wasn't impressed enough to give her a trophy.

Rabid Cougar
02-12-2010, 12:20 PM
Lots of standing around in Baseball. Some fielders go an entire game and not get a single chance and go 0 fer at the plate. Pitchers only pitch every fourth or fifth day and then only for maybe 5 innings

Must not be athletes.

LOTS of college football players go their entire career and never play a down or maybe just a hand full They languish at 4th or 5th on the depth charts while watching scholarship freshmen come in and be given the spots ahead of them. Lots of standing around on the sidelines. Even more standing around at practice watching 1's and 2's go after it.

Must not be athletes.

Pick6
02-12-2010, 12:24 PM
Originally posted by Rabid Cougar
Lots of standing around in Baseball. Some fielders go an entire game and not get a single chance and go 0 fer at the plate. Pitchers only pitch every fourth or fifth day and then only for maybe 5 innings

Must not be athletes.

LOTS of college football players go their entire career and never play a down or maybe just a hand full They languish at 4th or 5th on the depth charts while watching scholarship freshmen come in and be given the spots ahead of them. Lots of standing around on the sidelines. Even more standing around at practice watching 1's and 2's go after it.

Must not be athletes.

There's a difference between athletes and competitors.

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
02-12-2010, 01:14 PM
We're talking about physical abilities in contrast to just having a certain skill set. I never said that Tiger Woods or Mark Martin didn't earn their money, they're entertainers, but so are singers and actors. My point was that I have the physical skills that Tiger Woods or Mark Martin lacks because I played an actual sport up until two months ago. Neither one of those guys at any points in their career could have played football, baseball, basketball, track, tennis, soccer, etc. It requires no real physical abilities to play golf or drive NASCAR. To be honest I would love to get behind the wheel of a NASCAR or an INDY car, not because I think I would be good at it for my athletic abilities, but because I think it would be fun to do. My 62 year old father wants to play golf again, not because he's an athlete, but because it's fun. Just because it's a game doesn't mean it's a sport. I'm going to go play my PS3 in a little bit, and that doesn't mean I'm going to participate in athletic activities.

Rabid Cougar, that was one of the single most idiotic posts I've ever seen on this board, ever. Everybody who is on a collegiate team works hard and is a contributing member, sometimes greater or smaller than others, and a lot of sacrifice goes into it. Not many people can do it. I've seen just as many scholarship players sit back and never play as have walk-ons since I've been at A&M, if not more. I'm not sure if you were talking about me specifically or not, but that wasn't my situation at all. Regardless, I feel like that was a jab intended towards me, even though it was undeserved and incorrect.

NateDawg39
02-12-2010, 01:17 PM
We're talking about physical abilities in contrast to just having a certain skill set. I never said that Tiger Woods or Mark Martin didn't earn their money, they're entertainers, but so are singers and actors. My point was that I have the physical skills that Tiger Woods or Mark Martin lacks because I played an actual sport up until two months ago. Neither one of those guys at any points in their career could have played football, baseball, basketball, track, tennis, soccer, etc. It requires no real physical abilities to play golf or drive NASCAR. To be honest I would love to get behind the wheel of a NASCAR or an INDY car, not because I think I would be good at it for my athletic abilities, but because I think it would be fun to do. My 62 year old father wants to play golf again, not because he's an athlete, but because it's fun. Just because it's a game doesn't mean it's a sport. I'm going to go play my PS3 in a little bit, and that doesn't mean I'm going to participate in athletic activities.

Rabid Cougar, that was one of the single most idiotic posts I've ever seen on this board, ever. Everybody who is on a collegiate team works hard and is a contributing member, sometimes greater or smaller than others, and a lot of sacrifice goes into it. Not many people can do it. I've seen just as many scholarship players sit back and never play as have walk-ons since I've been at A&M, if not more. I'm not sure if you were talking about me specifically or not, but that wasn't my situation at all. Regardless, I feel like that was a jab intended towards me, even though it was undeserved and incorrect. Try driving at that speed for as long as they do...it takes physical strength to handle that and mental strength.
And stop calling peoples post idiotic, that gets old man.

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
02-12-2010, 01:26 PM
Originally posted by NateDawg39
Try driving at that speed for as long as they do...it takes physical strength to handle that and mental strength.
And stop calling peoples post idiotic, that gets old man.

They have power steering on those cars. NASCAR vehicles are some of the most technologically advanced in traction control, steering, and aerodynamics. The only thing that I could see that is difficult is it getting hot inside the cab, but the drivers have air conditioners. Sometimes they don't always work, but I would be just fine sweating if I was going to get several hundred thousand dollars out of it. And look at the drivers, some of them are old, fat, or out of shape. Danica Patrick is a perfect example, she is small and probably not any stronger that some of the weakest male posters we have on here, but she can drive a NASCAR. It is a skill, anyone can. And if someone says something stupid, I'm going to say it was a stupid thing to say. Get over it.

NateDawg39
02-12-2010, 01:33 PM
Id like to see a Nascar race live just to say i did it....I know I would go crazy after an hour or so but everyone should try it

Pick6
02-12-2010, 01:36 PM
Id like to see a Nascar race live just to say i did it....I know I would go crazy after an hour or so but everyone should try it

I'll never try it. I've passed up free tickets for every race at the track in Ft Worth, tickets for suites and a helicopter ride there. Not wasting my time.

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
02-12-2010, 01:37 PM
I'll never try it. I've passed up free tickets for every race at the track in Ft Worth, tickets for suites and a helicopter ride there. Not wasting my time.

I actually watch NASCAR. If you were willing to get them and slide them my way, feel free. ;)

NateDawg39
02-12-2010, 01:37 PM
I'll never try it. I've passed up free tickets for every race at the track in Ft Worth, tickets for suites and a helicopter ride there. Not wasting my time. If they let me pilot the Heli I might try it :D

MUSTANG69
02-12-2010, 01:52 PM
Some people should really learn more about NASCAR before they start bad-mouthing it. It is quite obvious that some posters know absolutely nothing about the sport. There is a whole lot more to it than just driving.

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
02-12-2010, 01:55 PM
Originally posted by MUSTANG69
Some people should really learn more about NASCAR before they start bad-mouthing it. It is quite obvious that some posters know absolutely nothing about the sport. There is a whole lot more to it than just driving.

Actually, it isn't. The closest thing to an athlete are the people on the pit crew. I've been watching NASCAR since I was a baby. I love it, but it's not a sport. Mechanics aren't athletes. Everyday drivers are not athletes. NASCAR drivers are not athletes.

NateDawg39
02-12-2010, 02:09 PM
Actually, it isn't. The closest thing to an athlete are the people on the pit crew. I've been watching NASCAR since I was a baby. I love it, but it's not a sport. Mechanics aren't athletes. Everyday drivers are not athletes. NASCAR drivers are not athletes. Running your mouth is not a sport either but if it were you would be in the top ten every season:p

MUSTANG69
02-12-2010, 02:11 PM
Actually, it isn't. The closest thing to an athlete are the people on the pit crew. I've been watching NASCAR since I was a baby. I love it, but it's not a sport. Mechanics aren't athletes. Everyday drivers are not athletes. NASCAR drivers are not athletes.

You keep saying all these people are not athletes. Please define an athlete for us so we will be enlightened.

Also please define what a sport is so we will be even more enlightened.

SWMustang
02-12-2010, 02:43 PM
I hate to say it, but I agree with Gary.

Farmersfan
02-12-2010, 02:47 PM
They have power steering on those cars. NASCAR vehicles are some of the most technologically advanced in traction control, steering, and aerodynamics. The only thing that I could see that is difficult is it getting hot inside the cab, but the drivers have air conditioners. Sometimes they don't always work, but I would be just fine sweating if I was going to get several hundred thousand dollars out of it. And look at the drivers, some of them are old, fat, or out of shape. Danica Patrick is a perfect example, she is small and probably not any stronger that some of the weakest male posters we have on here, but she can drive a NASCAR. It is a skill, anyone can. And if someone says something stupid, I'm going to say it was a stupid thing to say. Get over it.

From Wiki:
"A sport is commonly defined as an organized, competitively and skillful physical activity requiring commitment and fair play. It is governed by a set of rules or customs. In a sport the key factors are the physical capabilities and skills of the competitor when determining the outcome (winning or losing). The physical activity involves the movement of people, animals and/or a variety of objects such as balls and machines. In contrast, games such as card games and board games, though these could be called mind sports, require only mental skills. Non-competitive activities such as jogging and rock-climbing, are usually classified as recreations."

Both golf and auto racing is a sport. And BBDE! As many people can play football as can drive a race car or play golf! But not many people can do any of them well enough to compete at the highest levels.

Farmersfan
02-12-2010, 02:50 PM

ath·lete (thlt)
n.
A person possessing the natural or acquired traits, such as strength, agility, and endurance, that are necessary for physical exercise or sports, especially those performed in competitive contexts.

Since we have already determined NASCAR is a sport then the drivers must be athletes!

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
02-12-2010, 02:54 PM
Running your mouth is not a sport either but if it were you would be in the top ten every season:p

edited....lhpm

You keep saying all these people are not athletes. Please define an athlete for us so we will be enlightened.

Also please define what a sport is so we will be even more enlightened.

Athlete: physically active; having a muscular, well developed body, being in shape; An attribute of a motion or play which requires fine physical ability.

It really depends on which definition you want to choose. In Farmersfan's definition, it also mentions physical activity. It is a loosely defined term because people view it differently, that was not something that I was denying, I just don't think that playing golf or driving a car is a sport. I don't think Curling is a sport, either.

jason
02-12-2010, 03:07 PM
anybody who says golf isnt a sport is a dumbass...

this is how i draw my line between what is a sport and what isnt...

if the winner is decided by judging (gymnastics, figure skating, etc) then it is not a sport....

now, thats not saying the people who participate in those things aren't athletes, because gymnasts definitely are, but what they do isnt a sport - it is more of an athletic event....

if the winner is determined by who scores the most points, or finishes first, or shoots the best score, or something like that - then it is a sport....

another example - when a basketball player scores a basket - they get 1, 2, or 3 points regardless of how they got the ball in the hoop....they dont get judged based on how they scored the point like in gymnastics or other judged events....

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
02-12-2010, 03:08 PM
Originally posted by jason

if the winner is decided by judging (gymnastics, figure skating, etc) then it is not a sport....

now, thats not saying the people who participate in those things aren't athletes, because gymnasts definitely are, but what they do isnt a sport - it is more of an athletic event....

if the winner is determined by who scores the most points, or finishes first, or shoots the best score, or something like that - then it is a sport....

another example - when a basketball player scores a basket - they get 1, 2, or 3 points regardless of how they got the ball in the hoop....they dont get judged based on how they scored the point like in gymnastics or other judged events....

What about washers or horseshoes? Tag? Hide-and-go-seek?

MUSTANG69
02-12-2010, 03:09 PM
edited...lhpm

Athlete: physically active; having a muscular, well developed body, being in shape; An attribute of a motion or play which requires fine physical ability.

It really depends on which definition you want to choose. In Farmersfan's definition, it also mentions physical activity. It is a loosely defined term because people view it differently, that was not something that I was denying, I just don't think that playing golf or driving a car is a sport. I don't think Curling is a sport, either.

I don't think you would call anything a sport unless you were doing it. I understand that you think you tower above all of us intellectually but your conceit is not a valid reason to keep highjacking threads on this forum. Why don't you come out of your closet and play this sport. It is called the "real world".

Farmersfan
02-12-2010, 03:11 PM
edited......lhpm

I agree! Playing Golf and driving a car isn't a sport. Unless it's done in a competitive way. You can't use half the defintion and ignore the other half. A sport requires physical ability, mental preparation and a certain skill. All sports require these 3 things to be competitive. Some sports require more of one than the other. Nascar doesn't require as much PHYSICAL effort as football does which is proven by the fact a woman is competitive with the men. And although Golf requires more physical ability than nascar does it still doesn't require near what football does. But then again FOOTBALL doesn't require near the specialized skill of golf or Nascar. The point is that just because it doesn't require as much physical ability as football doesn't mean it's disqualified as a sport.

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
02-12-2010, 03:13 PM
I don't think you would call anything a sport unless you were doing it. I understand that you think you tower above all of us intellectually but your conceit is not a valid reason to keep highjacking threads on this forum. Why don't you come out of your closet and play this sport. It is called the "real world".

That's not true, I consider a lot of things sports. Nice blanket generalization though, but you're wrong.

edited.....lhpm

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
02-12-2010, 03:15 PM
Originally posted by Farmersfan
I agree! Playing Golf and driving a car isn't a sport. Unless it's done in a competitive way. You can't use half the defintion and ignore the other half. A sport requires physical ability, mental preparation and a certain skill. All sports require these 3 things to be competitive. Some sports require more of one than the other. Nascar doesn't require as much PHYSICAL effort as football does which is proven by the fact a woman is competitive with the men. And although Golf requires more physical ability than nascar does it still doesn't require near what football does. But then again FOOTBALL doesn't require near the specialized skill of golf or Nascar. The point is that just because it doesn't require as much physical ability as football doesn't mean it's disqualified as a sport.

We just share different viewpoints. Doesn't mean either of us are right, but I am going to feel all smug and pretend that I'm right in everything, like always. :)

Farmersfan
02-12-2010, 03:17 PM

I want to switch sides now!!!!!!:doh: :doh:

MUSTANG69
02-12-2010, 03:17 PM
That's not true, I consider a lot of things sports. Nice blanket generalization though, but you're wrong.

edited.....lhpm

It wasn't a generalization. It was an opinion.

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
02-12-2010, 03:28 PM
It wasn't a generalization. It was an opinion.

edited.......lhpm

NateDawg39
02-12-2010, 03:29 PM
BBDE will you put away your family album photos please? Nobody wants to see you as a child and your incessant crying.

MUSTANG69
02-12-2010, 03:36 PM
BBDE will you put away your family album photos please? Nobody wants to see you as a child and your incessant crying.

:clap: :clap:

BBDE : If you're gonna be dumb you better be tough and I think you have a lot of tough times ahead of you. The pictures you are posting shows your immaturity and inability to finish a discussion or arguement in an adult manner. Talking with you is like beating a dead horse. It is just a waste of time.

jason
02-12-2010, 03:40 PM
What about washers or horseshoes? Tag? Hide-and-go-seek? what about them? you get the washer in the washer or the horse shoe around the pole...

you get points based on how close you get them, most points wins...

you aren't deducted points if you have a crappy toss....

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
02-12-2010, 03:43 PM
what about them? you get the washer in the washer or the horse shoe around the pole...

So those are a sport but sports that are judged aren't? Boxing, diving, gymnastics, etc.?

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
02-12-2010, 03:44 PM
:clap: :clap:

BBDE : If you're gonna be dumb you better be tough and I think you have a lot of tough times ahead of you. The pictures you are posting shows your immaturity and inability to finish a discussion or arguement in an adult manner. Talking with you is like beating a dead horse. It is just a waste of time.

Hey look, it's you and NateDawg39:

http://www.foundshit.com/images/crying-baby-doll.jpg

jason
02-12-2010, 03:46 PM
So those are a sport but sports that are judged aren't? Boxing, diving, gymnastics, etc.? in my opinion - yes...

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
02-12-2010, 03:47 PM
in my opinion - yes...

Well can I call you a dumbass too because I think that's ridiculous. Obviously we disagree greatly on this subject, and since you implied I was one, it's only fair for me to call you one too, right?

jason
02-12-2010, 03:48 PM
Well can I call you a dumbass too because I think that's ridiculous. Obviously we disagree greatly on this subject, and since you implied I was one, it's only fair for me to call you one too, right? not gonna hurt my feelings....

Farmersfan
02-12-2010, 03:48 PM
what about them? you get the washer in the washer or the horse shoe around the pole...

So is football a sport?

A team tries to get the ball accross a goalline and a referee or judge determines if they did it according the rules and IF he finds that they did then he will allow them 6 points. If he determines they didn't execute according to the rules he denies them the points and they are required to try it again and again and again until they satisfy the referee that they did it the correct way! At the end the person who accumulated the most points by doing it the correct way wins the competition!!!!!
Wait! That sounds exactly like gymnastics.......

NateDawg39
02-12-2010, 03:50 PM
Hey look, it's you and NateDawg39:

http://www.foundshit.com/images/crying-baby-doll.jpg :confused:

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
02-12-2010, 03:51 PM
:confused:

edited......lhpm

NateDawg39
02-12-2010, 03:54 PM
Seriously I asked you to put your family photos away BBDE

jason
02-12-2010, 03:55 PM
So is football a sport?

A team tries to get the ball accross a goalline and a referee or judge determines if they did it according the rules and IF he finds that they did then he will allow them 6 points. If he determines they didn't execute according to the rules he denies them the points and they are required to try it again and again and again until they satisfy the referee that they did it the correct way! At the end the person who accumulated the most points by doing it the correct way wins the competition!!!!!
Wait! That sounds exactly like gymnastics....... that might be the dumbest thing ive ever read on the 3adl...

if a player crosses the goal line, he will get 6 points - he wont get deducted a point if a referee thinks he had bad form while doing it....

the referees dont judge on how players score in football, the simply watch for when it happens....

a little common sense goes a long ways....

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
02-12-2010, 03:56 PM
Seriously I asked you to put your family photos away BBDE

edited.....lhpm

Farmersfan
02-12-2010, 04:21 PM
that might be the dumbest thing ive ever read on the 3adl...

if a player crosses the goal line, he will get 6 points - he wont get deducted a point if a referee thinks he had bad form while doing it....

the referees dont judge on how players score in football, the simply watch for when it happens....

a little common sense goes a long ways....

You are on a roll today jason! Two "dumbest things ever" in one day! That might just be a record.

Gymnasts compete by performing the same athletic requirements and the one who does it the best wins! Football players compete by performing the same athletic requirements and the one who does it the best wins!
Why does the scoring process change anything?

jason
02-12-2010, 04:30 PM
You are on a roll today jason! Two "dumbest things ever" in one day! That might just be a record.

Gymnasts compete by performing the same athletic requirements and the one who does it the best wins! Football players compete by performing the same athletic requirements and the one who does it the best wins!
Why does the scoring process change anything? because one judge might give somebodys somersault a 9 and i might give the same one a 6...its subjective...

when a touchdown is scored, they dont get points based on how good the pass was or if he kept the ball covered when he was running...it is 6 points regardless....

now, if in gymnastics, you got 5 points for completing a somersault or 0- for not doing it, and it was that cut and dry, then they would be the same....

i didnt think this subject was so confusing...

Pick6
02-12-2010, 04:40 PM

i didnt think this subject was so confusing...

You did see who you was talking to didn't you, enough said...lol

LE Dad
02-12-2010, 05:19 PM
You did see who you was talking to didn't you, enough said...lol :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

OldBison75
02-12-2010, 06:54 PM
All I can say is that Sports Illustrated named Jimmy Johnson the male athlete of the year. Plus, if you read about his training program, you would see that at 50 years old he is doing as much or more weight training, running, and stretching exercises as most professional athletes. Yeah, he dosent have to physically outperform in one on one situations, but he takes his lumps like football players. I guarantee you that hitting the wall at 200 MPH is more traumatic to the body than most any football hit.

Nascar is a sport that is very competitive and the drivers and crew are athletes. A different kind than football players and such, but a sport full of good athletes just the same.

By the way, for those that insist that driving a racecar is easy, and those that talk about power steering in the cars, you ain't never been in one. There is no power steering, no true shocks, and tracks are much rougher than most highways. Try turning you car in traffic at 100 MPH on a long curve that traverses 90 degrees. Feel the force and edge of control. Then imagine that at 200 MPH the force is multiplied by 8 and the control is on a razor edge that makes even a tiny slip deadly.

BwdLion73
02-12-2010, 08:50 PM
I don't think Jimmy Johnson is 50.:thinking:

LE Dad
02-12-2010, 09:08 PM
Originally posted by BwdLion73
I don't think Jimmy Johnson is 50.:thinking: If he is I want his workout routine.:D

BwdLion73
02-12-2010, 09:17 PM
Originally posted by LE Dad
If he is I want his workout routine.:D

As far as the sport/non sport issue I could care less. I know that I can drive a car and have done so for quite a while. I also have sat on row 8 at the pit exit at Daytona and watched 43 cars go by inches apart three wide at around 190 mph. After watching them do that for about 3 hours and holding my hat each time they came by to keep it from blowing off I thought it might take someone with a little skill to do that.;)

LE Dad
02-12-2010, 09:46 PM
As far as the sport/non sport issue I could care less. I know that I can drive a car and have done so for quite a while. I also have sat on row 8 at the pit exit at Daytona and watched 43 cars go by inches apart three wide at around 190 mph. After watching them do that for about 3 hours and holding my hat each time they came by to keep it from blowing off I thought it might take someone with a little skill to do that.;) Those guys do some incredible things. I can't do what they do. I guess everyone has a opinion, but the bottom line is these are special individuals. I promise if you put me out there it would look more like a demolition derby than a race.:thinking:

LH Panther Mom
02-12-2010, 09:54 PM
:1offtopc: :1offtopc: :1offtopc:

BwdLion73
02-12-2010, 09:59 PM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
:1offtopc: :1offtopc: :1offtopc:

Guess you should have put some cry baby pictures in there LE

:rolleyes:

LE Dad
02-12-2010, 10:50 PM
Guess you should have put some cry baby pictures in there LE

:rolleyes: :confused: :confused: I thought I was on the NASCAR thread.:thinking:
Oh well. :D

Maroon87
02-12-2010, 11:11 PM
I love the fact that NASCAR talk pi$$es so many people off. :cool:

carter08
02-12-2010, 11:19 PM
This is what real athletes look like:

http://www.theautochannel.com/callahan/2000texas/portraits1/spencer_jimmy01.jpg

BwdLion73
02-12-2010, 11:34 PM
Originally posted by carter08
This is what real athletes look like:

http://www.theautochannel.com/callahan/2000texas/portraits1/spencer_jimmy01.jpg

LOL:clap: but he did punch out rubberhead!

CHS_CG
02-14-2010, 12:23 PM
As a true NASCAR fan, the only thing I will say on this thread is...

LET'S GO RACIN' BOYS!!!!!!!!!!

Bull Butter
02-14-2010, 12:50 PM
Boogity Boogity Boogity!!!

sinfan75
02-14-2010, 09:06 PM
Originally posted by Bull Butter
Boogity Boogity Boogity!!! My thoughts exactlly

sinfan75
02-14-2010, 09:08 PM
Spencer got a new show on speed channel. should be good for a few laughs.:D

JasperDog94
02-15-2010, 05:08 PM
I can't believe that I'm actually about to say this but...I agree with Gary. NASCAR is not a sport. I love fishing and being a professional fisherman takes a lot of endurance, skill and the ability to outsmart your opponents...and the fish. But that doesn't make it a sport.

Same thing with NASCAR. You might be the best at driving faster than everyone else or outsmarting your opponent, but that doesn't make it a sport. To be considered a sport, I think you should have to do something other than 1 left turn after another.:p :p :p

IHStangFan
02-16-2010, 06:09 PM
TOUGH!! For the next 36 weeks or so you're gonna get updates from yours truly. Ain't life great!! Football ends NASCAR begins.:D :D :p http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a290/BAClanton/seizure3ui2.gif

Phantom Stang
02-16-2010, 06:12 PM
Originally posted by IHStangFan
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a290/BAClanton/seizure3ui2.gif
I can't wait to see what this does to a dark room:D

sinfan75
02-16-2010, 08:29 PM
So what do ya'll consider a sport. :thinking:

bobcat4life
02-16-2010, 08:39 PM
Originally posted by Phantom Stang
I can't wait to see what this does to a dark room:D I got dizzy:devil:

OldBison75
02-16-2010, 08:50 PM
So, shall we choose to accept that Nascar is not a sport from the same people that think that track meets are sporting events. They only make left turns, unless they are running the 100, which is reserved for fast kids that can't remember which way to turn.

Or, the same guys that go bar hopping and get upset when thier buddy dosen't "give them a sporting chance" to pick up the cute girl that is pole dancing.

sinfan75
02-16-2010, 08:53 PM
On another deal, what the hell do you consider an athelete. Somebody that plays one sport or that is great at one sport but loves to play other sports. Let's put it this way. You got an offensive lineman, 6'5'' 300lbs. He's a great lineman. But that's all he does. Is he an athelete? Or how bout that same lineman. He finishes football and starts basketball (as a starter), then goes to baseball as a starter plus doin track. Which one really an athelete?

Fal44
02-16-2010, 09:43 PM
well i personally don't feel golf and nascar are sports, but thats my own opinion.

gotta agree with gary.

RMAC
02-16-2010, 09:57 PM
When NASCAR drivers go in to turns at 180+ mph, their bodies feel roughly 2.5-3 G's depending on the angle of the turn, the radius of it, and a few other things. That means 3 times your body weight is pushing you in the opposite direction your turning the car. Do that 4 times a lap for 250 laps in about 3.5 hours. . . yes, that is 1000 times. You really do have to be in pretty good physical shape to endure it at 120+ degree temps in a 5-layer fireproof suit. I know how much people on here hate numbers to back up claims, but I've taken the physics classes to prove it. We actually had a NASCAR problem on a homework back when I took it.

eagles_victory
02-16-2010, 10:13 PM
Originally posted by RMAC
When NASCAR drivers go in to turns at 180+ mph, their bodies feel roughly 2.5-3 G's depending on the angle of the turn, the radius of it, and a few other things. That means 3 times your body weight is pushing you in the opposite direction your turning the car. Do that 4 times a lap for 250 laps in about 3.5 hours. . . yes, that is 1000 times. You really do have to be in pretty good physical shape to endure it at 120+ degree temps in a 5-layer fireproof suit. I know how much people on here hate numbers to back up claims, but I've taken the physics classes to prove it. We actually had a NASCAR problem on a homework back when I took it. Im not saying its easy and not challenging. I agree with everything you are saying here just simply don't think it is a sport.

rockdale80
02-16-2010, 10:55 PM
Originally posted by RMAC
When NASCAR drivers go in to turns at 180+ mph, their bodies feel roughly 2.5-3 G's depending on the angle of the turn, the radius of it, and a few other things. That means 3 times your body weight is pushing you in the opposite direction your turning the car. Do that 4 times a lap for 250 laps in about 3.5 hours. . . yes, that is 1000 times. You really do have to be in pretty good physical shape to endure it at 120+ degree temps in a 5-layer fireproof suit. I know how much people on here hate numbers to back up claims, but I've taken the physics classes to prove it. We actually had a NASCAR problem on a homework back when I took it.

So is a jet pilot an athlete?

JasperDog94
02-16-2010, 11:23 PM
Originally posted by rockdale80
So is a jet pilot an athlete? What about people who ride really fast roller coasters over and over again?:thinking:

rockdale80
02-17-2010, 12:02 AM
Originally posted by JasperDog94
What about people who ride really fast roller coasters over and over again?:thinking:

astronauts?

JasperDog94
02-17-2010, 12:07 AM
Originally posted by rockdale80
astronauts? deep sea divers?

Farmersfan
02-17-2010, 09:55 AM
So what do ya'll consider a sport. :thinking:

Based on all the definitions online that I could find I would say that a sport would be anything that is a competition that requires Physical and Mental ability as well as a practiced skill. Take out one of the four items and it most likley isn't a sport.

rockdale80
02-17-2010, 11:02 AM
Originally posted by JasperDog94
deep sea divers?

Sky divers?