PDA

View Full Version : Not 3A....What's With Wink?

runtowin
02-11-2010, 04:36 PM
Anyone know anything about the school, the area, the staff in place (admin-faculty)?

Phantom Stang
02-11-2010, 04:43 PM
Roy Orbison was from Wink.

Trashman
02-11-2010, 04:48 PM
Haven't been there in many years. Used to have lots of oil money and great facilities for a 6-man school.:D

LionKing
02-11-2010, 04:51 PM
Originally posted by runtowin
Anyone know anything about the school, the area, the staff in place (admin-faculty)? About 40 miles west of Odessa, near the NM state line, isolated, lots of sand, dirt, oil money means salaries are probably good though.

ronwx5x
02-11-2010, 04:56 PM
Anyone know anything about the school, the area, the staff in place (admin-faculty)?

Tiny, dusty, and population is shrinking in number. Has always been dependent on oil and gas. Used to have very good football teams but lately has fallen on hard times. Not very close to much of anything except more of nothing.

If you are thinking of moving there, be sure to visit first. The good news is that Wink is close to cultural hot spots like Mentone, Wickett, Kermit and Pyote!

Ranger Mom
02-11-2010, 05:11 PM
Originally posted by ronwx5x
Tiny, dusty, and population is shrinking in number. Has always been dependent on oil and gas. Used to have very good football teams but lately has fallen on hard times. Not very close to much of anything except more of nothing.

If you are thinking of moving there, be sure to visit first. The good news is that Wink is close to cultural hot spots like Mentone, Wickett, Kermit and Pyote!

Don't forget Notrees!! :D

95mustang
02-11-2010, 08:47 PM
They have a sink hole. One of my best friends is the Director of Emergency Medical Services for Winkler County. Not much there though. I was the Director of Emergency Medical Services in Ward County for awhile and glad I got out of that area. They do usually pay pretty decent though because there is still alot of Oil and Gas money in that area.

LE Dad
02-11-2010, 08:53 PM
Never heard of Wink and now I know why.:p

I am sure if you wink you will miss it:eek: :eek:

Sorry, I just couldn't resist.:rolleyes: :doh: :devil:

turbostud
02-11-2010, 09:09 PM
My old track coach in high school is the Superindent at Wink. Great guy.

skins4life
02-11-2010, 11:50 PM
Originally posted by 95mustang
They have a sink hole. One of my best friends is the Director of Emergency Medical Services for Winkler County. Not much there though. I was the Director of Emergency Medical Services in Ward County for awhile and glad I got out of that area. They do usually pay pretty decent though because there is still alot of Oil and Gas money in that area.

Actually 95mustang, there are two sink holes at Wink. The company I work for has a 10" crude oil line that runs between them. It has them worried enough, they had us install a valve on each side of the sink area, that way the control center can shut the flow off automatically if it ever give way under the line. There's also a hole in the bar-ditch on the east side of hwy 115 where TXDot has it staked and is monitoring the growth. So there may be a third before long.

runtowin
02-12-2010, 11:36 AM
What are the kids like, is the community accepting of newcomers?
Will they go down to 6 man next realignment?

NastySlot
02-12-2010, 01:54 PM
all i've ever heard about the place is the facilities were incredible...we have principal that coached there for a while said budgets were unreal.

Trashman
02-12-2010, 03:23 PM
My high school coach grew up there...he said that the school district bought each football player a suit and tie to wear to out of town football games. They had 2 complete football uniforms of contrasting colors as well as 2 football helmets.:D

runtowin
02-12-2010, 03:34 PM
Anyone know what type of offense or defense they have been using?

runtowin
02-13-2010, 10:29 PM
is there a west texas message board that discusses 1A schools?

runtowin
02-15-2010, 09:11 AM
TTT

loboes86
02-15-2010, 05:41 PM
Anyone know anything about the school, the area, the staff in place (admin-faculty)? The area is mainly supported by oilfield and natural gas, Wink is in the middle of nowhere its closest towns are Kermit,Jal N.M., Monahans,Pyote, and Pecos. Odessa and Midland arre bout 50 and 70 miles. Lot of good freindly people in that area. The school and facilaties are fairly nice and being added on to all the time budget for school is very healthy . They have a web site you can get on and look around. Might call the Cross Country head coach ( # is on website)and talk to him he's a real nice guy and been in that area for many years.

runtowin
02-15-2010, 06:57 PM
thank you for the info!