PDA

View Full Version : Pickle Juice

shamu85
02-11-2010, 03:07 PM
Whatever happened to athletes drinking pickle juice for stamina and to ward off cramps? Was it proven that it didnt' work or something? Or was it just a fad? I don't ever hear of anyone doing this anymore.

crzyjournalist03
02-11-2010, 03:22 PM
Originally posted by shamu85
Whatever happened to athletes drinking pickle juice for stamina and to ward off cramps? Was it proven that it didnt' work or something? Or was it just a fad? I don't ever hear of anyone doing this anymore.

it's still sold in some convenience stores...Jason Witten has his own brand of pickle juice that's sold around the metroplex.

But scientifically, I believe that it's been shown to have no positive effects. It was more of a placebo than anything else, and other more common sports hydration drinks were proven to be far more effective.

truebluestang
02-11-2010, 03:24 PM
It gives the players diarrhea.

coach
02-11-2010, 03:28 PM
it actually helps if you drink it before not during the event

SHSBulldog00
02-11-2010, 05:01 PM
Sweeny used it in the 80's; but now we use Powerade and water.

STANG RED
02-11-2010, 05:07 PM
Back in my farm league days, pickle juice snow cones were my favorite. Just the thought of one kinda turns my stomach now though.

Do any baseball concession stands even make snow cones any more? I dont think any of ours have for years.
There are a couple that pop up in parking lots down town during the summer.

blowfish
02-11-2010, 06:08 PM
Mt. Olive Kosher pickle juice is the best! I actually called the company to see if I could buy just the juice. I got a polite no sir and thank you for calling. I dont think it was thier first call on the subject.

LE Dad
02-11-2010, 06:18 PM
Whatever happened to athletes drinking pickle juice for stamina and to ward off cramps? Was it proven that it didnt' work or something? Or was it just a fad? I don't ever hear of anyone doing this anymore. We have some kids that still use it. I don't know if it works but they still drink it.

bowleghorses
02-11-2010, 07:36 PM
NASTY!!!!!!!give me the cramps...

bobcat4life
02-11-2010, 07:41 PM
I have tried it before. I guess it works. Im not sure but I did it anyways....
also, has anyone ever tried lemon juice to prevent throwing up during a workout? My dad said alot of people used that at Garland when he was in school and that it worked. anyone else know?

zebrablue2
02-11-2010, 10:20 PM

I always tell many of the players on the field that cramp up eat a couple of bananas on game day... I doubt if any listen, but it would sure help them...

SintonFan
02-11-2010, 11:21 PM
Originally posted by blowfish
Mt. Olive Kosher pickle juice is the best!

I agree!:clap:

shamu85
02-12-2010, 12:18 AM
They sell pickle pops in the concession stands at Georgetown games.

Personally, I think it's nasty.

truebluestang
02-12-2010, 08:53 AM
I promise you it will give you diarrhea. We had half of our team in the locker room with the s---- before a game due to drinking pickle juice, but have at it if you so desire.

sinton legacy77
02-12-2010, 09:58 AM
back in my day lol i used to drink pickle juice every friday before our games! it worked perfect for me, and i never got cramps or the s---s, guess some peoples stomach just cant handle it. Personally i found that it worked better with some water mixed in just to dilute it a little and not drink straight pickle juice. c'mon man!

Rocket Dad
02-12-2010, 12:00 PM
Pickle juice contains acetic acid which can be beneficial in cramp prevention. Diluted with water and taken about 3 hours before a contest will do the trick.

truebluestang
02-12-2010, 01:35 PM
Pickle juice challenge if you dare. Drink 20 oz pickle juice and then get on here and let us know what happens. Had a kid playing around at the concession stand last year during a softball tournament and he had two 8 oz cups. We warned him not to do it so guess what happened? He crapped his pants during the next class he had to return to. The coach in the class felt bad until he found out the whole story- we got a good laugh.

truebluestang
02-12-2010, 01:48 PM
From Flash News:
Some athletes quench their thirst with Gatorade, others chug pickle juice.
Brandon Brooks runs Pickle Juice Sport, a company that sells bottled pickle juice as a sports drink.
Though most people wouldn’t think to down pickle juice before running a marathon, Brooks says it’s a great way to replenish the body of vitamins and minerals that are lost during strenuous physical activity.
His company’s drink is a mild version of the same stuff normally found in pickle jars at the grocery store.
However, “Pickle Juice Sport” has 10 times more electrolytes and vitamins than other sports drinks.
Brooks says it tastes like watered down pickle juice and works best when combined with just about any other drink, even chocolate milk.
He doesn’t recommend ever drinking pickle juice straight from a jar due to its high acidic content.
Those who do will find themselves in quite a “pickle” because normal pickle juice causes diarrhea.

Sphere: Related Content

slingshot
02-12-2010, 02:31 PM
Interesting read... http://www.momentummedia.com/articles/tc/tc1009/cramps.htm
My two teenage sons run track and squeeze a packet of yellow mustard in their mouth at the first sign of cramping--sounded crazy to me, but a trainer from USC was the one that recommended it. Seems to really work.